Wisconsin ($$) vs OUWB ($) vs UW ($)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jrcomsto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think I have narrowed down my acceptances to these three choices. Just looking for some advice/opinions about picking a school for financial reasons. I of course am not certain about a specialty, but right now I am very interested in derm. I'm a resident of a WWAMI state.

Wisconsin:
PROS- If money was no object, I would for sure go here. I love Madison, have family there, and really felt like the school was a great fit for me. Opportunities for great research as well as opportunities for away rotations in more rural areas of Wisconsin. I like the idea of having access to a large tertiary care hospital (UW Hospital) and also seeing what care is like in rural areas.

CONS - I would graduate from Wisconsin with about 55K in debt (I have some personal finances that will cover the rest of the cost.) My S.O will be moving with me next year and he is still working on his undergrad so he would have to pay out of state tuition to attend Madison.
- Housing in Madison is relatively expensive.

Oakland University
PROS - I have a scholarship offer here and would graduate with about 20K in debt. My S.O is a Michigan resident and we would be near his family. I really liked the students and facilities at OUWB and Rochester Hills and Royal Oak is a pretty nice area.

CONS - I'm worried about lack of research opportunities. This is a new MD program and I'm worried about matching to a competitive specialty (if that's the route I end up choosing).

WWAMI

PROS - Cost. Would graduate with about 20K in debt. UW has a great reputation.

CONS - I'm not super excited about staying in my home state for the majority of my schooling. I would move around a lot and the program really seems to focus on primary care, I feel like I want a more generalized program. The opportunities to do research at UW - Seattle seem to be basically limited to the summer between M1 and M2. The rest of school I would be in my rural home state. I'm just not sure it's for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Normally, I'm on the side of Team Lower Debt over Team Dream School. However, most people are comparing figures more in the range of $20K and $55K annually, not total. Most of our debt is way, way more than what you're looking for any of your options. I vote Wisconsin.

Honestly, $55K in debt is pretty reasonable - especially considering you loved the school! I will vouch for how awesome Madison is, I lived there at one time and would love to go back. Housing in Madison is actually quite affordable compared to some of the places I've lived. You can easily share a nice place with roommates in a great location for $600-700/month (near the Capital square). It's probably even cheaper if you're planning to live near the hospital - the area directly west of Camp Randall off of University Ave is a nice neighborhood and relatively affordable if you're not in the direct vicinity of the stadium.

For what it's worth, OUWB's first class matched into some very strong programs this year - so I wouldn't worry too much about matching. Lack of research opportunities may be an issue, but Beaumont really does have a lot of resources in the area. If this year's class is any indication, I am sure many of those students were able to find research projects given the caliber of some of the places they matched.

All things considered, though, I think Wisco is probably the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
As ortnakas pointed out, the difference between $20k and $55k in debt is insignificant compared to what many applicants have to choose from. You said yourself that you would choose Madison if money were not an issue, and $35k is NOT an issue in the grand scheme of things (especially if you will be happier).

I vote WI (may be a bit biased ;))

Reactions: 1 user
Be super extra careful about your WWAMI estimated debt. Depending on your state, your may be required to fund a student scholarship while you are in the program. This can run into thousands of dollars in additional expenses per year. I know Montana is that way.

It's kind of BS how they can give you money with one hand but take it away with the other.

I also say Wisconsin.

Yes, Beaumont is a great hospital and the school is nice... but it doesn't match up to the program that Wisconsin has built. Agree with others that the debt difference is nearly inconsequential.

Reactions: 1 users
35K is next to nothing in the long run.

Go to the school you like best.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all. Really appreciate that input!

Bumping this thread due to some new info. Wisconsin's newly increased out of state tuition will now make the difference between the schools (OUWB and Wisconsin) 52k.

I've eliminated WWAMI now due to fit issues.

Opinions? Still worth it to go to Wisconsin for 52K more than Oakland over 4 years? My debt at Wisconsin after graduation is projected to be a little over 100k. Debt at OUWB around 45k.

Thanks everyone!

Take Wisconsin if you really would be the happiest there. There really won't be that much difference between 100k and 45k after medical school. Just be forewarned, the winters there suck. I would absolutely pick UW over Oakland from a prestige standpoint as well.