With which political party do you most affiliate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

With which party do you most affiliate?

• Democrat

• Republican

Results are only viewable after voting.

psyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please note that there is a poll with this thread.

With which party do you most affiliate? (Voting is private, results not public)

I'm posting this in this section and not the sociopolitical section because I'm interested in the responses of those who are in this thread. Also, I know there are more than two parties, but this is a forced choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Constitutional Libertarian....thankfully neither of those two listed above. :D

Right on.

1) Don't support either the Donkey or Elephant party...it's all PR and sophistry these days and about fooling people scientifically

2) Libertarian would be the closest to a 'party' that I would support. Generally I think we need to get back to honoring the rights/liberty of the individual and back away from collectivism

Reactions: 2 users
Psyman, This is just recipe for distaster and fruitless debate.

To answer the question:
"They dont care about you. AT ALL..."
-George Carlin

Translation, I dont really trust anything any of them say, and I dont understand why anyone would.

A few notable exceptions:
Giulani (Republican) did a great job cleaning up the filth and the rampant crime in NYC in the early and mid 90s. I am glad I can now take my son and daugthter to times square. Historically, FDR (Democrat) obviously did world of good by changing the role of government and helping us rcover from the depression. His cousin Teddy (Republican) was also an amazing, reasonable and quite progressive leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My political views have changed a lot since I started posting on SDN, although my views on some issues have stayed mostly the same as well. It's kind of embarassing for me to go back and read some of what I've posted in the past. That's all I'll say, though. Honestly, I have no idea what I am anymore. Independent, maybe? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Only in a behavioral or social science field will you get people to be this nit picky about party identity :p

I'm a neither too. I align with democratic party on some issues, republican on others, and libertarian on a few others. I also believe that our political system has become too corrupt in recent years and by that I mean too closely aligned with financial interests especially the "too big to fail" financial institutions. We could use some people like Teddy Roosevelt and the trustbusters again.

I think it's important to note that many folks who did some bum things, or had some ideaologies/positions that I vastly disagree with, also did sine great things for this country. Teddy Rosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, Ronald Regan, George Wallace, just to name a few.

My political identity has also changed a lot since I've worked in this field for a few years. I know my colleagues have felt similarly.

Psyman, This is just recipe for distaster and fruitless debate.

To answer the question:
"They dont care about you. AT ALL..."
-George Carlin

Translation, I dont really trust anything any of them say, and I dont understand why anyone would.

A few notable exceptions:
Giulani (Republican) did a great job cleaning up the filth and the rampant crime in NYC in the early and mid 90s. I am glad I can now take my son and daugthter to times square. Historically, FDR (Democrat) obviously did world of good by changing the role of government and helping us rcover from the depression. His cousin Teddy (Republican) was also an amazing, reasonable and quite progressive leader.

While I entertained the forced-choice response request, these are my actual thoughts.

A bit odd, but I'm quite solid on my beliefs so will share openly. I put democrat because that's how I've voted most recently, but its an incredibly poor descriptor. And to be fair, that was in FL, so who knows if my vote even actually counted.

10 years ago I was quite center and leaned right on economic issues. Right now I can't identify with any party. I'm probably somewhat of a social libertarian (is that even a thing?). I think if the tea party ever got real power, psychology would pretty much immediately cease to exist as a field. However, I fully agree spending our reckless and foolish...I just think their solutions are even more reckless and foolish. Decreasing the size of government is one way to go (republican) but the first place I'd look to cut is military (decidedly NOT republican). I'm actually embarrassed that we do not yet have universal healthcare (progressive), but I think about the only positive about obamacare was maybe a foot-in-the-door towards achieving that (though that remains to be seen).

I guess I'd say independent, but I think my most core belief right now is moderation. All things....in moderation. Something that is decidedly missing in politics these days.

Reactions: 1 users
A bit odd, but I'm quite solid on my beliefs so will share openly. I put democrat because that's how I've voted most recently, but its an incredibly poor descriptor. And to be fair, that was in FL, so who knows if my vote even actually counted.

10 years ago I was quite center and leaned right on economic issues. Right now I can't identify with any party. I'm probably somewhat of a social libertarian (is that even a thing?). I think if the tea party ever got real power, psychology would pretty much immediately cease to exist as a field. However, I fully agree spending our reckless and foolish...I just think their solutions are even more reckless and foolish. Decreasing the size of government is one way to go (republican) but the first place I'd look to cut is military (decidedly NOT republican). I'm actually embarrassed that we do not yet have universal healthcare (progressive), but I think about the only positive about obamacare was maybe a foot-in-the-door towards achieving that (though that remains to be seen).

I guess I'd say independent, but I think my most core belief right now is moderation. All things....in moderation. Something that is decidedly missing in politics these days.

Absolutely. I think one of the biggest turn-offs for rational people regarding the tenor of political discussion these days (especially in the media) is the consistent disgusting 'social norm' of framing the honest disagreements with your position by others as 'a threat' or branding them as 'the enemy' because they have different views. This thread has been refreshing in that it has not turned into that. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have toyed with becoming mayor of our neighborhood, essentially a very large suburban subdivision with about 3500 people. Currently mayor is a Dentist who lives few streets over. He gets to sit at the head of a big table and adjudicate dog noise complaints. I think this is about as far as I could take it....

Last edited:
Absolutely. I think one of the biggest turn-offs for rational people regarding the tenor of political discussion these days (especially in the media) is the consistent disgusting 'social norm' of framing the honest disagreements with your position by others as 'a threat' or branding them as 'the enemy' because they have different views. This thread has been refreshing in that it has not turned into that. :)

Totally agree. I mean...there will always be people who agree with me and then the people who are wrong, but it's nice to see that the people who are wrong are taking it much better than previously observed. ;)

Agreed. I've always been liberal (but raised by a conservative/very traditional family) UNTIL I had children and I became much more conservative as a result. So we may also fluctuate in our political views over the course of our lives.

Agreed. I've always been liberal (but raised by a conservative/very traditional family) UNTIL I had children and I became much more conservative as a result. So we may also fluctuate in our political views over the course of our lives.

On what issues are you more conservative? Why would children make you more conservative?

To the republicans, what are the most important political issues for you?

Same question for the democrats.

On what issues are you more conservative? Why would children make you more conservative

My comment about Times Square....

I think ones opionion about what constitutes "right" vs "wrong"...."appropriate" vs "inappropriate".... "moral" vs"immoral" changes when you realize how environment/society affects the ones you cherish most.

I would also suggest there is, inevitably, a whole lot of behaviorism going on in the child rearing process, right? This makes concepts such as personal responsibility, tough love (ie., consequences vs leniency or second chances) much more salient.

Last edited:
I think ones opionion about what constitutes "right" vs "wrong"...."appropriate" vs "inappropriate".... "moral" vs"immoral" changes when you realize how environment/society affects the ones you cherish most.
Except of course the research that says that environment does little to change a child's personality and that even the parents role is a bit "over-rated".

I'm Canadian and I'd say def more liberal. I def believe the govt. has a role in many areas, and ideally there is a good partnership between public-private. But at the end of the day I am really practical. I love good ideas. Singapore is a great example. They may be the most business friendly place in the world but the govt is also in control of so much (ie forces substantial savings from its citizens).

What research are you looking at!?
A lot of twins, adoption studies have shown this. Yes, parents have an impact in terms of a child's values, attitudes, their religious affiliation, etc but personality largely seems heritable.

I don't have any links for you now, but I was reading this fairly recently.

I'm talking about behavioral choices and views of right and wrong, not personality.

I'm talking about behavioral choices and views of right and wrong, not personality.
Exactly what I was thinking. He even said the research shows parenting affects values and attitudes not personality and then proceeds to conflate the two. One of my pet peeves is when psych research is misused in this way. On a student forum it's more of an opportunity to correct and educate, but when I see it from a psychologist talking on tv, that's another story.
:boom:

I'm still interested in for what specific political issues you became MUCH more conservative because you had children.

I'm still interested in for what specific political issues you became MUCH more conservative because you had children.

You do realize this isn't unusual, right?

You do realize this isn't unusual, right?

I am just asking a question nobody is specifically answering, particularly Cheetah. Her answer implied a switch on some issues from dem to rep, so I'm curious.

I am just asking a question nobody is specifically answering, particularly Cheetah. Her answer implied a switch on some issues from dem to rep, so I'm curious.

No. She said she became much more conservative on some issues. She said nothing about becoming more republican.

I think the lack of responses my have to do with how your rather dichotomous view of very broad and complex issues. I am probably much less "liberal"than am y psychologists, and I'm quite staunch in my views of fiscal policy and family values, but I don't think there is anything "republican" about that. And Framing it that way is just intellectually sloppy.

Last edited:
No. She said she became much more conservative on some issues. She says nothing becoming republican.

I think the lack of response my have to do with how your rather dichotomous view of very broad and complex issues. I am probably much less "liberal" and I'm quite staunch in my views of morality, but I don't think there is anything "republican" about that.

That's fair and I'm reading into a bit, but again, I'm only asking for people to name specific issues for which they have become more conservative. I don't think that's unreasonable. If someone is saying they are more conservative, it HAS to relate to at least ONE specific issue. I'm only asking for the issue(s). But going from liberal to MUCH more conservative sounds significant, so I asked.

Gun control
Marijuana legalization
Gay marriage
War efforts (pick a war)
Oil
Taxes (and taxation of the wealthy)
Border control
Illegal immigrant status
Abortion
Health care
Welfare
Foreign policy issues
Infrastructure
Crime (very vague)
Other

My main interest (after seeing the poll results) is to have the dems and republicans pick the issues that most concern them. I'd like to see how the lists differ between the two sides.

The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll offer some D insight.

I'm LGBT, so I'm pretty much a democrat for life. I always joke with friends, that I long for the day when gay men and women can come out as republicans, but I don't see gay elected republicans becoming a common occurrence for at least a few more election cycles. Conservatism is a completely viable political ideology, and just because someone's gay doesn't mean that they aren't fiscally conservative. In this current iteration of the GOP though, I do think it's difficult for an LGBT person's fiscal conservatism to trump their interest in self-preservation and equality, but hey, that's just me. Personally, I think that I'll always be loyal to the party that offered me political support and recognition first.

I'm secular (atheist?); I support the decriminalization of marijuana (to a statutory offense for people under 21 and with other limits on things like quantity); I support more stringent (common sense) gun control legislation; I support a single payer healthcare system (Despite the recent news, VA quality of care has been consistently ranked higher than 3rd party hospitals - See: Comparison of Quality of Care for Patients in the Veterans Health Administration and Patients in a National Sample); I support increased spending on infrastructure, education, research (hey y'all), veterans health/support, and less spending on defense. I believe that science should be the biggest influence in policy decisions, and I support legislation to regulate campaign finance. I'm pro-choice, I'm pro voting rights act, I'm pro ACA - Depending on your perspective, ACA can be viewed as a very conservative piece of legislation. I'm an internationalist, rather than an interventionist like McCain, or an isolationist like Paul.

^^ These are my current beliefs and priorities, and I feel like the Democratic party will do a better job of advocating for these positions than the Republican party will. I love a good debate, and I would love to have moderate democrats and republicans replace the current, hyper-partisan elected officials that we have now, so we can at least start to break through some of this gridlock. 400 million people live in the USA; I know I'm not always going to get 100% of what I want, but I would at least like to hear our elected officials engage in debate over the issues.

Last edited:
The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll offer some D insight.

I'm LGBT, so I'm pretty much a democrat for life. I always joke with friends, that I long for the day when gay men and women can come out as republicans, but I don't see gay elected republicans becoming a common occurrence for at least a few more election cycles. Conservatism is a completely viable political ideology, and just because someone's gay doesn't mean that they aren't fiscally conservative. In this current iteration of the GOP though, I do think it's difficult for an LGBT person's fiscal conservatism to trump their interest in self-preservation and equality, but hey, that's just me. Personally, I think that I'll always be loyal to the party that offered me political support and recognition first.

I'm secular (atheist?); I support the decriminalization of marijuana (to a statutory offense for people under 21 and with other limits on things like quantity); I support more stringent (common sense) gun control legislation; I support a single payer healthcare system (Despite the recent news, VA quality of care has been consistently ranked higher than 3rd party hospitals - See: Comparison of Quality of Care for Patients in the Veterans Health Administration and Patients in a National Sample); I support increased spending on infrastructure, education, research (hey y'all), veterans health/support, and less spending on defense. I believe that science should be the biggest influence in policy decisions, and I support legislation to regulate campaign finance. I'm pro-choice, I'm pro voting rights act, I'm pro ACA - Depending on your perspective, ACA can be viewed as a very conservative piece of legislation. I'm an internationalist, rather than an interventionist like McCain, or an isolationist like Paul.

^^ These are my current beliefs and priorities, and I feel like the Democratic party will do a better job of advocating for these positions than the Republican party will. I love a good debate, and I would love to have moderate democrats and republicans replace the current, hyper-partisan elected officials that we have now, so we can at least start to break through some of this gridlock. 400 million people live in the USA; I know I'm not always going to get 100% of what I want, but I would at least like to hear our elected officials engage in debate over the issues.

I think your views are in line with most democrats from this poll.

Yeah it's funny, I know two repbulicans who are in our field. Both of them readily explain they are "socially liberal, but fiscally conservative." They both ALWAYS vote republican...attend rallies and whole thing. Treatment of others (social) gets trumped by fiscal concerns for them. I don't get it. How can you be for gay marriage (they each are) and vote republican? This is partly why I wanted to see the results of this poll. I don't understand what (fiscal?) issues are of such importance that they trump social issues for which one holds strong liberal beliefs.

I suspect religion may play a major factor in determining adherence to a republican voting ticket. Again, kind of what I'd like to flesh out here.

Fiscal issues are very much about "treatment of others." Again, I think this demonstrates your narrow approach to this whole topic.

Fiscal issues are very much about "treatment of others." Again, I think this demonstrates your narrow approach to this whole topic.

God, that is so something you'd say. You are so obnoxious as always. Whatever.

God, that is so something you'd say. You are so obnoxious as always. Whatever.

Then you are easily annoyed, which isnt my problem.

If you disagree with my statement, then you can present a counter argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
One example I'll provide is I have become more conservative in my attitude about legalization of marijuana since having kids of my own.

Also, wanted to chime in that erg is right on the money (no pun intended) with his assertion that fiscal issues are about treatment of others. One problem I have with my more left leaning friends is that they tend to ignore or oversimplify the financial realities. My mom, bless her bleeding heart, spends more time worrying about how to give money and services to the poor underprivileged _______ than she does actually trying to solve some of the very real and complex problems that create these issues. As someone who works with the victims everyday, I know that giving people more stuff won't always help and often makes the problem worse. I get examples of this everyday in my practice.

Don't even get me started about the implementation of ACA and my fruitless search for a patient of mine that benefits from it.

I don't know, I work with hundreds of patients who benefit from guaranteed medical care.

I agree that this is, ultimately, the "right" things to do.

But most people know that ACA in its current form is a result of huge concessions and negotiations, so many are certainly not "thrilled" with it. It’s also creating even more parity loopholes from the top Managed Care companies, especially Optum (UHC MH careve out). I see their "strategies" everyday.

Last edited:
I don't know, I work with hundreds of patients who benefit from guaranteed medical care.

From a provider point of view…a one payer system is the way to go to provide basic medical care. There will always be over-utilizers and the majority will always pay more if those people are in the system. I wish everyone could pay their fair share, but that isn't realistic in today's world. That said, I support additional private/concierge services for those who can afford them. There is very little accountability in healthcare these days, so until that changes the costs will be out of control. Removing insurance companies will help w. costs too.

I wish I could say, "let there be a FREE MARKET and let the best companies win!"…but that ship sailed long ago. Now I just hope that we get some level of basic coverage and have it not cost an arm, leg, both eyes, and our sanity….which is the current cost of ObamaCare.

I agree that this is, ultimately, the "right" things to do.

But most people know that ACA in its current form is a result of huge concessions and negotiations, so many are certainly not "thrilled" with it. It’s also creating even more parity loopholes from the top Managed Care companies, especially Optum (UHC MH careve out). I see their "strategies" everyday.

I worked with insurance verification/authorization for a mid-size private practice both pre- & post- ACA implementation, and I didn't see much of a difference either positive or negative in terms of our patients' coverage (obviously n=1, and this is coming from a state that did not use ACA to expand Medicaid coverage).

I'm a huge fan of ACA - It's the only reason I have health insurance now (through my dad's plan), and it'll let me stay covered almost all the way through graduate school.