Withdraw from post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XDun131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a Post bac after a somewhat subpar undergrad of 3.0 overall GPA. Now my experience with the Post Bacc is not going well at all. At the current state I will be unable to get an A in any of my courses even if I get a 100 in each class. That being said it is still possible to get a B. I am just being somewhat of a pragmatist when I ask. Which would be better should I withdraw from the program and take a year or two to retake the MCAT and buildup my extracurriculars? Or should I risk the C in classes this semester to try and bring it up in the Spring?

Members don't see this ad.

So consider withdrawing? My biggest fear is that withdrawing will look much worse then getting b's this semester and pulling with A's next semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be a wakeup call that it's time to think about another career. if you can't excel in a post-bac, then medical school will cream you.

I am currently in a Post bac after a somewhat subpar undergrad of 3.0 overall GPA. Now my experience with the Post Bacc is not going well at all. At the current state I will be unable to get an A in any of my courses even if I get a 100 in each class. That being said it is still possible to get a B. I am just being somewhat of a pragmatist when I ask. Which would be better should I withdraw from the program and take a year or two to retake the MCAT and buildup my extracurriculars? Or should I risk the C in classes this semester to try and bring it up in the Spring?

Reactions: 2 users
I got B's my first quarter of my post bacc and I've gotten A's and A-'s since. Sometimes that first term requires an adjustment of how to study.

That said, if you continue you have to pick up the grades.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're dead set on med school, you need to stay in the post-bacc and absolutely obliterate all remaining coursework. Post-baccs are a second chance, and you're expected to prove that you're deserving of one. You're off to a poor start and medical schools don't typically give "third chances." If you truly want to be a doctor, you need to throw yourself into the work and make straight A's from here on out to have even a remote shot.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bs this term won't kill you (though they don''t help you at all), provided you course correct and do splendidly hereafter. I suggest you consider adding an additional term of postbac classes to make up for the slow start.

I think you should keep trying. There's always second semester to do better. Don't give up.