Withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Collide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from Organic I the first time I took it. When I retook it the next semester I got an A-. Any idea how badly this will look to the admission people? I'm sure they won't look at a W as a positive thing, but I'm curious just how bad it is?

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from Organic I the first time I took it. When I retook it the next semester I got an A-. Any idea how badly this will look to the admission people? I'm sure they won't look at a W as a positive thing, but I'm curious just how bad it is?

If that's the only W or anomaly on your transcript then don't even think about it. It might be referenced in an interview and as long as you come up with a positive answer as to why you withdrew the first time, you'll be fine.

You won't have any problems. I had a couple of W's on my transcript and they never came up in any interview I had. I'm sure they assume why you dropped (either you were doing bad or something came in your life that didn't allow you to take the course), so there is no big surprise there. If they ask, be truthful - that's all. But they will not reject you for a W, many students have them. Besides, your retake is awesome, so who cares anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Like so many other pre-med's, I tend to worry a lot so I'm sure I get paranoid over stuff I shouldn't.

Thanks for the encouraging information! :thumbup:

I had about 14 W's on my transcripts. Most of them were from over 15 years ago when I thought I dropped out of a semester but didn't so got F's in them. The college made them retroactive W's since I actually still had the drop form signed by the professors. About 6 W's were from the CC I went to part time and were spread over a 4 year period. 3 of them were from one semester when I had surgery mid-way through the semester and withdrew from school. The other 3 were just from classes I was doing crappy in from lack of effort. I wasn't asked about any of them at any interviews. I'm not sure on the exact number of W's, I would have to look, but it was a lot and this gives you an idea of how devastating your 1 W will be. ;)