Withdrawal from a Prereq Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AryaV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted here a while ago about a Liberal Arts Major with a High GPA. I have been able to gain a Medical Scribe position for the Summer and hopefully will do some shadowing as well (P.S: If I'm not mistaken, a Scribe position counts as volunteering hours?) However, in my sophomore year, I withdrew from a Calc I course; I took it out of interest, but since at my university Calc I is considered the hardest course, I dropped it because I didn't want it to affect my GPA (I'm really running on a 3.982 as one of my strong points for post bacc). However, I have the chance to take it over again this summer; I'm afraid I might get a bad grade once again, so I was wondering whether 1 withdrawal, especially from a prereq class, is a big factor in the light of other things on an applicant? I am trying next year to apply to several of the top schools (Brwn Mawr, Goucher, John Hopkins, Columbia) so relative to these programs. Thanks so much for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

No, one withdrawal is meaningless, even from a pre-req class. Only a series of withdrawals and retakes spread over your college career would raise concerns about your ability to study the material.

Especially since Calc I wasn't required for your major, you could say you wanted to focus on your major if anyone questions you about the W (they won't though).

Most med schools don't have calc as a pre req. As the above poster said, one W is meaningless