General Admissions & OTCAS Withdrawals Counting as F/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted503049

Hi, my name is Charity, and I'm a senior in Integrative Physiology at the University of Colorado. My situation is a little non-conventional. I graduated high school with two years of college classes, and thus, I will be graduating about two years early. Up until this point, my GPA has been quite good (3.67), with an even higher pre-req GPA. I have not yet taken the GRE, as I will be taking a year off, but I am confident I can do well. I have held several jobs, have numerous volunteer experiences in many areas, as well as OT shadowing hours. I wasn't overly worried, until this semester. I took 18 credits, which was far too many classes to take senior year while working. I ended up withdrawing from my physics class due to these reasons and some other extenuating circumstances. My first question comes in here. I was calculating my OT GPA using a spreadsheet someone on this forum posted. The W is factored in as an F. It dropped my GPA pretty drastically considering the fact it is worth five credits. I withdrew from the class to save my GPA. I had no idea it would be counted as an F! Is this even accurate?

The second question is related to my overall semester. I'm not doing great. I haven't gotten a C since my freshman year of high school. And now not only have I withdrawn from a class, but my grades look like they'll be (A, B, BorC, and C). I'm devastated. I know my overall GPA likely won't go below a 3.4 overall for the rest of my college career, and my prerequisites are already mostly taken care of. I'm just worried because people say to be constantly improving, and I'm scared this will appear as though I was intelligent and capable my first three years and just screwed up the last one. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of Ws counting as Fs before? Where'd you hear that?

Hi, my name is Charity, and I'm a senior in Integrative Physiology at the University of Colorado. My situation is a little non-conventional. I graduated high school with two years of college classes, and thus, I will be graduating about two years early. Up until this point, my GPA has been quite good (3.67), with an even higher pre-req GPA. I have not yet taken the GRE, as I will be taking a year off, but I am confident I can do well. I have held several jobs, have numerous volunteer experiences in many areas, as well as OT shadowing hours. I wasn't overly worried, until this semester. I took 18 credits, which was far too many classes to take senior year while working. I ended up withdrawing from my physics class due to these reasons and some other extenuating circumstances. My first question comes in here. I was calculating my OT GPA using a spreadsheet someone on this forum posted. The W is factored in as an F. It dropped my GPA pretty drastically considering the fact it is worth five credits. I withdrew from the class to save my GPA. I had no idea it would be counted as an F! Is this even accurate?

The second question is related to my overall semester. I'm not doing great. I haven't gotten a C since my freshman year of high school. And now not only have I withdrawn from a class, but my grades look like they'll be (A, B, BorC, and C). I'm devastated. I know my overall GPA likely won't go below a 3.4 overall for the rest of my college career, and my prerequisites are already mostly taken care of. I'm just worried because people say to be constantly improving, and I'm scared this will appear as though I was intelligent and capable my first three years and just screwed up the last one. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
W's don't count as F's. At least not on OTCAS...I only applied through there and I have three W's on my record. As for the definite C I would consider withdrawing and retaking....esp if it's a Prereq but that's just my opinion. Talk to your advisor or mentor and see what they recommend. Heck you can even call the schools you are most interested in and see what they have to say. Good luck to you!