withdrawals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've applied to several dental schools for 2015. I've been going back over my application to remember what it was like for every semester in case they ask about some stuff. I have a ton of Ws spread out all over the place.

6 Ws, a WF, and if you include labs then it would be 2 Ws (they were with the other courses I dropped).

My first W was at another college, that semester overall was pretty bad. It was my first year, got into the whole college scene, partied like mad, just didn't do very well.

My next one was because I thought I was superman and decided to take ecology and general chem together in the same summer session. Classes went from 8-5, I worked weekends, so it was just very heavy for me at the time.

My next Ws were in physics and it's lab. That was just a very tough class for me, I fell behind, and didn't want to dilute all of my grades while not learning all I could. At that time I was pre med and physics is on the mcat (along with my other classes that semester) so I felt that it was important to really learn the subject better than just get by. I took it again the next year and made As in both physics 1 and 2.

After that, a year later in the fall I dropped one other course, not because I couldn't handle it but because I had decided to change career options and it wasn't a class I needed anymore.

That summer I had gotten into nursing school, got through a couple tests and started clinicals. As I was in, I just felt like this really wasn't for me and I was in it for the wrong reasons so I withdrew from the program. At that time I had a B in one class and a D in another. I didn't realize WFs count against your gpa otherwise I would have stayed to raise the grade so it didn't hurt my gpa.

My last withdrawal was in my very last semester during the fall. I wanted to end my last year with a bang so I packed on some science classes. However, one course in particular was very late in the day on MWF and I was just not making nearly enough at work. That summer I had cut my work hours short (worked only thurs-Sunday) because I wanted several days of the week to solely focus on the DAT so I was really in need of money.

All throughout my undergrad I have always worked. First few years it wasn't as much, maybe around 25-30 hours depending on how much I was needed. But towards the middle of my undergrad to the end I had to pick up much more hours at work. I help my mom out since she's disabled and just couldn't work anymore.

My overall and science gpa are both around a 3.5ish (science gpa is 3.49 to be really exact) and DAT score is a 20.

What do you guys think? Will I be judged that harshly on all my Ws and WF? Do you think I had poor reasoning to be dropping courses when I did? I worry about if they ask me why I dropped evolution. I really should have just stuck through with it instead of just not take it because I didn't need it anymore.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

When did you apply? Having 6 W's does raise a red flag, But If you explain your journey and I mean literally tell them where you went wrong and how you have changed, it will help.

Tell them about your family issues and how that may have affected your studies.

Honestly, I'm a masters student and I know how situaions can effect your grades. If you can prove you've learnt better over the years, you should be ok.

Im being as honest as possible, Dental school invest huge amount of time and money by interviewing you and accepting you on top of that is a major commitment. They want to make sure you wont drop out ( I know a couple of people who have) of D-school because of the workload. By you dropping out means they've lost a student and 1 less person graduating. Doesn't reflect good on the school.

But if you can write a killer PS with all the deets about how your journey has changed you for the better, I think it would go a long way.

How are your extra-curriculars? What about Shadowing?

I applied around mid/end July (20th or so).

I have been a practicing nail tech/manicurist since 2008 or so. I had been polishing and give out nail art to help out since around 2006 (I was 15). Still currently work at a nail salon now.

I have around 270 hours of volunteer hours with an ophthalmology clinic, 50 hours with a conservation area (Audubon Center) we have around here, and for the past 4 years I have participated in an annual mothers' day spa event (at a hospital) where I clip, file, polish, and give some nail art to some moms to have given birth to premature babies or are still in the process. I was also a volunteer science fair judge at an elementary/junior high school (grades 6-8). I was part of the biology club (only for one semester) and helped clean a couple parks up.

I've shadowed several dentists, 8 total clinics, 10 dentists (two of the clinics have more than one dentist). I don't have as many hours as I could have given the opportunity (69 hours on my application) but I am still shadowing here and there until the interview date (haven't heard back yet). I have seen every specialty, but each specialty is between 5-10 hours of shadowing and 20 hours with a general dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Certain schools like MWU want at least 100 hrs. But you can talk about you being a nail tech as something related to manual dexterity.

Other than that, you have killer extras.

Lol well thanks. Been looking around on the forums and wow some people make me feel like I'm not doing enough haha.

Thanks for the tips dent. I appreciate it.