Withdrawing from an undergraduate course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdahdouh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello students,

I recently just switched from Pre-Medicine to Pre-Psychology (PSY-D). Due to me switching, I decided to drop classes like Organic Chemistry (and theLab portion) because I wouldn't want that class to effect my other psychology classes since the psychology classes are the ones that are required for graduate school. Due to me dropping, I received a W on my transcript, although W's do not count towards your overall GPA. My Overall GPA is 3.62 and could probably get it up to a 3.7 before I head to graduate school. This GPA includes alot of the science and math courses such as Calculus 1 and 2 and General Chemistry courses. Also, it obviously includes some Psychology classes. I have a total of 5 W's in my college career. None of these W's are classes that are required for graduate school. These classes include (Macroeconomics, Calculus 1, Physics 2, Organic Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry 1 Lab). Do these W's effect my chances of getting into a clinical psychology program at a school? I think they don't look at W's and just look at your overall GPA.. but I'm just making sure!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello students,

I recently just switched from Pre-Medicine to Pre-Psychology (PSY-D). Due to me switching, I decided to drop classes like Organic Chemistry (and theLab portion) because I wouldn't want that class to effect my other psychology classes since the psychology classes are the ones that are required for graduate school. Due to me dropping, I received a W on my transcript, although W's do not count towards your overall GPA. My Overall GPA is 3.62 and could probably get it up to a 3.7 before I head to graduate school. This GPA includes alot of the science and math courses such as Calculus 1 and 2 and General Chemistry courses. Also, it obviously includes some Psychology classes. I have a total of 5 W's in my college career. None of these W's are classes that are required for graduate school. These classes include (Macroeconomics, Calculus 1, Physics 2, Organic Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry 1 Lab). Do these W's effect my chances of getting into a clinical psychology program at a school? I think they don't look at W's and just look at your overall GPA.. but I'm just making sure!

Thank you!

Grad programs require you to submit transcripts from every undergrad and grad institution you've attended, so they would see your withdrawals, not just your cumulative and psych GPAs.

Whether it would it would affect your chances of admission would depend on the program and faculty. Some people would put more weight on withdrawals than others and it would probably be more of a factor at more competitive programs (i.e. those with more overall applicants and lower acceptance ratings).

Also, why are you just focused on PsyD programs? Why not PhD programs, too?