Withdrawing from Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dentalguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a chem1, AnP2 and Bio2... and also 6 graduate hrs. I haven't really been able to devote much time to the chem1 b/c of the studying required for my other courses and it's weighing heavily on my grades. The deadline to drop is 1 Nov. If I were to drop chem1, then I really think I would come out with no less than a B for both AnP and Bio2. However, if I opt not to drop Chem1 then I will probably suffer horribly for it by making a C or D in Chem1 and possibly a B or C for both bio2 and AnP2. Despite the fact that school do not like to see "W" on transcripts, I was going to drop Chem and retake it next semester in the spring when I can devote more time to it.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks.

Pre-dentalguy

Members don't see this ad.

Id drop AnP since hardly any schools have taht as a prereq. You really need to get some As. Your GPA really cant suffer anymore to be competitive

Id drop AnP since hardly any schools have taht as a prereq. You really need to get some As. Your GPA really cant suffer anymore to be competitive

So you don't think I should try to stick it out to the end of the semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just saying if you have to drop one because you cant handle the load drop the AnP. Chem is required by every school whereas AnP is only required by a couple OSU and Oregon that I know of.

I'm currently taking a chem1, AnP2 and Bio2... and also 6 graduate hrs. I haven't really been able to devote much time to the chem1 b/c of the studying required for my other courses and it's weighing heavily on my grades. The deadline to drop is 1 Nov. If I were to drop chem1, then I really think I would come out with no less than a B for both AnP and Bio2. However, if I opt not to drop Chem1 then I will probably suffer horribly for it by making a C or D in Chem1 and possibly a B or C for both bio2 and AnP2. Despite the fact that school do not like to see "W" on transcripts, I was going to drop Chem and retake it next semester in the spring when I can devote more time to it.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks.

Pre-dentalguy

You already know the best course of action. Cut your loss and run.
Withdrawals look bad on transcript but "D's" are worse. Drop the course that would allow you to get the highest grades possible for the courses that remained. It's better to tell the adcom the truth, and that you dropped a class because you realized you made a mistake in gauging the time needed to devote to all the classes and that your time-management was weak. But once you realized your mistake you took action and salvaged the situation as best as you can. Then don't forget to remind them that even though you dropped one class, your curriculum was still challenging in that it included 6 graduate hours as well as the other two classes. Finish with "sometimes it's important to know when to fight and when to quit." and then an apologetic smile so it won't look like you're being pompous or lectur-ish.

That is what I would do.

I agree with the drop a&p crowd. Chem is required, plus usually a prereq for organic which is also a prereq. a&p is at best an optional course at most schools. True, a&p is interesting but not a "core" class to get into dental school. Plus, Chem would be a really frustrating course to take twice.