Withdrew from a whole semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MixedPracticeJunkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I entered college as a nursing major. I did great GPA-wise my freshman year, and was working at a dog daycare/kennel. My sophomore year I was still a nursing major, and transferred to my state's large, competitive university. About 3/4 of the way through, I totally panicked and realized that I don't want to be a nurse. After much mulling that semester, I realized I needed to have a career in the animal care industry. I really thought with all of my heart at that moment that I wanted to do what my boss does - open a daycare/boarding facility. Thus, I dropped out of my first semester at that large university. A big fat W for the whole semester. I felt totally discouraged and lost - I could have switched majors, but I didn't see college as necessary for opening a business. I felt my time would have been better spent at the daycare learning from my boss. I also felt as though I had wasted 1.5 years in university, when I should have been gaining the business experience necessary at the dog daycare while earning money to start my own business. It wasn't long until I realized what I spend most of my time doing...I watch veterinary reality shows, I find myself constantly picking up articles about modern medicine, and I'm always the go-to coworker when a dog needs medical attention at the daycare. It really was staring me right in the face that I love veterinary medicine. I then decided I had made a huge mistake - as I am only human, but I do realize this withdrawal cost me both time-wise and financially. I went back that spring semester to the small institution where I started (b/c it's less expensive, and I wanted to verify my pursuit of vetmed) and got a 3.95 while taking 21 credits (3 in a veterinary assisting course). I am shadowing a mixed practice vet this summer, and I have experience as a farm hand. I couldn't be happier or more sure that I am on the right track for success now. In the fall, I'm going back to the large university to major in animal science. This flip flopping between universities and withdrawal will delay my graduation 1 year. So, that being said (lol), I'm concerned this flip-flopping and withdrawal will be the kiss of death from some veterinary schools. I obviously plan to elaborate on this in my personal VMCAS statement, but I'm afraid of how this appears to some schools. Any thoughts appreciated. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you keep your grades up, take all the prerequisites, and get quality veterinary experience. If you explain it shouldn't be an issue. Especially since it was in the pursuit of finding your passion. It also looks good that you worked in the period that you withdrew from school and it isn't like you didn't have a good reason to withdrawal

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I wouldn't worry about it, just be sure to have something on your application and/or about your future career interests that really stands out to the committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes please do not worry about that! Many of us have a bit of a jagged path leading us to veterinary medicine. For me, in undergrad (7 years ago) went to four different universities. Also since, when completing my pre-regs, I had to take a semester off when my sister was diagnosed with cancer. You can easily elaborate in your personal statement and also write an explanation statement if you deem it necessary. I would say the most important thing is keeping you grades up and your journey just makes you more interesting :)

I wouldn't be spending a whole bunch of time on explaining your semester withdraw in your personal statement. That is a waste of the very limited space you are given for the personal statement and you want to use that to sell yourself as a good veterinary candidate as much as possible.

Explaining a withdrawn semester is exactly what the explanation statement is for, use that to explain the withdraw, not the personal statement.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you'll be fine. Life happens. I have 2 semesters of W's but they're explainable because of, ya, life. I think one semester of full W's looks a lot better than a consistent smattering of W's throughout your entire college career. The latter would raise the question in my mind: "Did he/she take a W every time a class got too hard, to spare the GPA?"