Witnessing Surgery

futurenavaldoctor128

Oncology or Psychiatry? Message me
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently speaking with my cousin, a 3rd year oral surgery student, and he was tellingme about how you review ALL aspects of medicine in your 4 years, and it is only your last year that you branch off into your field. Now, im up for anything, but is surgery a requirement to witness? Its not so much the actual surgery, in fact I probably couldn't even tell what was going on if you stuck me in a surgery room. However, the actual incision making makes me wobbly and nauseous. Is it true that you have to sit through a grueling, gory surgery even if you have eliminated it from your future as a MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
4-8 weeks rotating in the morning, checking on post-op patients, spending all day in surgery, then rounding on patients again before the end of the day. You'll watch a lot, but at times get to do minor parts of the surgery as well like incision, retracting, sutures, and a bit more if you're lucky/into it. You'll get used to it, even if you don't like it.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll get used to it, even if you don't like it.

Plus by the time you've made it through cadaver lab in gross anatomy I don't think seeing surgery is going to gross you out very much.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm actually really excited for these types of things!