WKU Admissions only looking at GRE Verbal and Written?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentMama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of applying to Western Kentucky University for SLP. Under admissions requirements, it lists the required minimum Verbal and Written scores for the GRE. It doesn't say anything about total score or the math part. SO, my question is: do you think they will even look at all at my total score? I am very confident in my ability to study and take practice tests and get a high score on the Verbal and Written portions of the GRE, but if the Quantitative part is considered, I'm in trouble. (The same thing happened with the ACTs--I got 36 on the English part, and 17 on the math part).

Members don't see this ad.

I just looked at the admissions criteria, expecting you to be mistaken, but you are correct. The reason that I said I expected you to be mistaken is because of the casual research that I did, when I was preparing to apply to grad school, that found that the quantitative section of the GRE carried considerably more weight in real world admissions decisions than did the verbal section, across a wide sample of graduate programs. I did this research by analyzing the adademic profiles of admitted students to different SLP programs, using various locations on the web for data collection. The fact that this is the case (a grad school preference for high quant scores) is consistent with other science and health majors. Also, it makes practical sense.

Whatever the case may be, in terms of what admissions programs say that they analyze in the GRE and the overall academic profile, I wouldn't put too much weight in their statement soley for the reason that you aren't competing against their minimum requirements, but against other students. To illustrate, if you score in the 95th percentile in the verbal section with a 5.0 writing, but only score in the 50th percentile in the quanititative section, you will likely be edged out at WKU by someone who scores in the 90th percentile for verbal and the 70th percentile quant (these percentiles are random choices for this example-not actual compeititive standards). I'd be shocked if any program didn't weigh the quant section, in part because most programs demonstrably give it extra weight. The WKU program currently averages 450-600 applicants for each cohort, and so it qualifies as competitive.

You should think of a 1200 combined score (old score equivelancy-find the percentile conversion chart at ETS) as the bare minmum to be competitive, with 1250 being more comfortable if everything else is good, and above 1300 as optimally competitive with the dominant score ideally being the quant. So, my advice is that you strive to make both of your verbal and quant scores competitive in the overall applicant pool, becasue that is who you are competing against, not just competitive to the stated minimum requirements or focus of the school. My advice to make yourself competitive to the standards of the general applicant pool especially applies if your combined score, with a relatively high verbal, doesn't even get you to 1200-1250 equivelant score.

If verbal is your strength, then primarily concentrate on studying math. Don't neglect the math becasue it's your weak point. I used 98% of my study time (about 40 hours) to study math exclusively. I studied verbal on the morning of the test (I don't recommend slacking off quite that much) and still did remarkably better on verbal than quant. However, thanks to primarily studying my weak subject, I scored high enough on the quant (52 percentile) to gain entrance to grad school. I was 90th percentile verbal and 5.0 writing. A combined equivelancy of about 1300, with a verbal dominance. My advice: briefly read about what to expect on the writing so you know how to think about the writing tasks, concentrate on math, and finish up with verbal once your math is sufficient.

Last edited: