Womack retaliation news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She was probably a PITA but mostly right. A couple of dirty cystoscopes sounds worse than it is. The stuff about her sons GF is definitely retaliation but you better be squeaky clean before going to the JC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, she made the wrong people mad if her priority was keeping a job.

Seems like a case in which an employee who may very well be obstructionist also happened to be right. If she really did present her case to the hospital command before going to JC, and they ignored her, then she did the right thing and should be commended for it. On the other hand, we have a safetly officer here of whom I am reminded as I read this article. Her personal mission is to eliminate 100% of all risk at our hospital (which is, of course, impossible), and to eliminate any physician who derails that plan with any sort of complication - known or otherwise (which is, of course, everyone). She routinely goes around chain-of-command as a first step, and has gone so far as to write scathing letters to our regional command about physicians without having actually discussed the issue with the physician in question, his commander, the hospital commander, her priest, or anyone else at the local level. Sometimes she's right, but occasionally lightening strikes an dingus, right?

Hard to know if it's the same situation at Womack because it's very he-said, she-said. But the hospital could not have picked a worse time to go after her. Seems like the type of thing they should have done earlier if it truly wasn't retaliation.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a "board-certified infection control preventionist" ...

It's from the Northeast Kansas Online University of Southwestern Dakota (or its partner institution). I'm sure it's on the DoD's approved online education provider list

"certification does not validate that one is competent to lead or manage an infection prevention and control program; it merely confirms that you are able to master an exam."

pot -> kettle?

It's from the Northeast Kansas Online University of Southwestern Dakota (or its partner institution). I'm sure it's on the DoD's approved online education provider list

or its equivalent: military university online

i think this is a case like highpriest mentioned-- chicken little/histrionic/reactionary person who by happenstance was the blind squirrel that found a nut. best scenario for the hospital in that case is to do like they do with active duty-- don't do anything that would be construed as retribution and do a horizontal move. or, give her a committee or position that is toothless and powerless. "infection prevention inspection and investigation process improvement" or something and drown her in paperwork.

reading between the lines, hiding behind "medical issues", using FMLA and DWOP are union tactics. this effectively keeps her job on the books so she can't be replaced. which is why it would have been best to give her some certificate of nothingness to recognize her work then marginalize her. assignment of work is completely within union rules, and it would have been cheaper and easier in the long run. i know the urge to play hardball in cases like this, but for the most part it's better to outmaneuver and bypass politically rather than attempt a full frontal assault.

--your friendly neighborhood sounds like a typical day at any MTF caveman

Board-certified infection control preventionist sounds made up. :)

I know that there is lots of military hate on this forum...but I am leaning toward supporting the hospital. She sounds like an antagonist. She cited both sentinel events, but unless there is more to the story...neither were caused by infection. She apparently wasn't being taken seriously...and maybe that is because she is an overbearing perfectionist that is impossible to work with. I think that she was likely making a mountain out of a molehill and she didn't think that her supervisors weren't respecting her authority.

Reactions: 1 user
respectcartman.jpg

--your friendly neighborhood image stealing caveman

Reactions: 1 users
Board-certified infection control preventionist sounds made up. :)

I know that there is lots of military hate on this forum...but I am leaning toward supporting the hospital. She sounds like an antagonist. She cited both sentinel events, but unless there is more to the story...neither were caused by infection. She apparently wasn't being taken seriously...and maybe that is because she is an overbearing perfectionist that is impossible to work with. I think that she was likely making a mountain out of a molehill and she didn't think that her supervisors weren't respecting her authority.

I was at Womack out processing when all this went down. These two sentinel events had NOTHING to do with infection control issues. That was a whole other issue with JCAHO review. I hardly ever stick up for military medicine, but in this case the hospital is right. I actually spoke on the record with the reporter from the Fayetteville Observer who wrote this article regarding the many real problems with military medicine but she was not interested in what I had to say when I would not divulge any info on the sentinel events. I guess what I had to say about brigade surgeon tours and OERs without clinical data wasn't sexy enough.

Reactions: 1 user
I was at Womack out processing when all this went down. These two sentinel events had NOTHING to do with infection control issues. That was a whole other issue with JCAHO review. I hardly ever stick up for military medicine, but in this case the hospital is right. I actually spoke on the record with the reporter from the Fayetteville Observer who wrote this article regarding the many real problems with military medicine but she was not interested in what I had to say when I would not divulge any info on the sentinel events. I guess what I had to say about brigade surgeon tours and OERs without clinical data wasn't sexy enough.

Thank you for your objective opinion on the situation. I'm glad that my spidey senses were in all likelihood correct on this one.

I am sure we have all worked with the type of person in the complaint...they are so letter by the law that you feel you are constantly walking on egg-shells. It seems like much of the malignancy of military medicine comes more from that personality type and not the laissez-faire type of personality who isn't taking things seriously enough. That was the first big red flag. The second big red flag is quote of "certification does not validate that one is competent to lead or manage an infection prevention and control program; it merely confirms that you are able to master an exam." I would NEVER say that about someone credentials unless it was truly a person I had absolutely no respect for. The hospital had no respect for this woman...and thus, the complaints.

I am sure that put our heads together and write a pretty compelling novel on the problems with military medicine (heck...BigNavyPedsGuy could probably do that by himself)...but I wouldn't because 1) nobody cares and 2) I'm not a douche bag.

The article has many elements of irresponsible "narrative journalism" - it narrates Gilbert's story, includes a few hand-picked facts which support her story, then glosses over other versions of events and hides behind the policies preventing senior leaders from disclosing protected information. This article is a good example of why I dislike narrative journalism.

The article has many elements of irresponsible "narrative journalism" - it narrates Gilbert's story, includes a few hand-picked facts which support her story, then glosses over other versions of events and hides behind the policies preventing senior leaders from disclosing protected information. This article is a good example of why I dislike narrative journalism.

What's that old saying about how you can't throw a **** grenade out of it's effective range?

This non-person was a useless civilian contractor, obstructionist wench who got what she deserved. I'm sure that several good Officers were relieved based on her ridiculous complaints. I have no doubt that she'll clamber onto the SSD rolls and claim PTSD as a result of this imbroglio.

These types of people abound at military facilities. Another good reason to get out and never look back.

- ex 61N