About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Women's Interview Clothing #3!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Geekchick921, Jul 25, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Probably too informal, but more because of the length of the sleeves than the modern, no-lapel jacket. The light grey is pretty.

EDIT: Agreed with the previous post that such a jacket needs to be tried on to make sure you have the figure to pull it off!

This was awesome :)
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  2. cowsgomuon

cowsgomuon

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  3. Geekchick921

Geekchick921 MS-3 + 2 kids = -1 sleep Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  4. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  5. Geekchick921

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ooh, km, that is cute!
  6. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    That is pretty :love: and more my style than a very conventional suit. Thanks for the link, km17!

I just came across a NYT article about interview suits (I have not yet read through the entire old thread so sorry in advance if this has already been posted elsewhere):

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/fashion/13INTERVIEW.html
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  7. cowsgomuon

cowsgomuon

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think this guide (especially the comments) is very informative:
    http://corporette.com/2010/08/09/the-corporette-guide-to-interview-suits/

Granted, it's geared toward law interviews instead of med school interviews, but it's still relevant.
  8. nysw

nysw

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm having the hardest time finding modest button up shirts. Any suggestions?
  9. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  10. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm thinking that I want to wear a light gray suit...I'm not into black and navy blue isn't really my color (I'm blonde, have olive skin, and green eyes). I'm thinking a light gray suit with a green or purple shirt? Does this sound like it would be too much color?
  11. nysw

nysw

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  12. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I own two of the Banana suit featured there (not in tall).

I also wear the Banana non-iron button ups (wearing one right now actually), and leave the top two buttons unbuttoned. For modesty, I pin the gaps immediately above and below the top-buttoned button. I've heard of people basting in snaps or hooks in those locations for a permanent solution.

Under suit jackets, I'm not the biggest fan of leaving a button-down buttoned half way and showing a lot cami, but if you need to, a lace edged one looks more like an accessory than another layer.
  13. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  14. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You can accomplish the same effect by tucking your shirt into pantyhose...I wear pantyhose with slacks sometimes for this exact reason!
  15. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  16. tiktok22

tiktok22

Pre-Medical

Mine is gray too!! well, more of a charcoal color but I love it. don't like black suits, not digging the b/w penguin look

maybe purple? depends on the shades though..for some reason whenever i picture green i think of bright neon green.
  17. SexyDoctor

SexyDoctor

Pre-Medical
  18. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Very interesting article...I haven't seen it yet. My perspective on formalness of interviews would be...

Less Formal: Newer industry jobs, some non-advanced degree jobs
    Formal: Corporate/Business/Medical/Law/Professional degree jobs
    Highly Formal: Banking and more prestigious firms
  19. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think if the cut of your shoe is conservative enough and you keep it under 4", you won't raise too many eyebrows. I also like feeling tall :)

With regards to the suit...extra wide flare legs are somewhat trendy and not everyone can pull them off. If you can and aren't looking to invest in a suit for the future, then ignore my comment.
  20. Geekchick921

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I like it a lot, too! I think those colors would look nice, but think about a bright pink, too.
  21. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Or maybe bright blue? I like the idea of a deeper color shirt with a lighter suit.
  22. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, I think I'll skip the neon green...this is more what I was thinking.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=51166&vid=1&pid=715604&scid=715604212

Okay, thanks for your and km's advice! :) I really like the look of purple or green. Bright pink would be really pretty too! With my coloring, I can wear pretty much any color save for red and navy blue--both of which are apparently power colors, lol. Too bad for me. So I want to wear something bright that stands out.
  23. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I like that too! Now I'm excited for suit shopping. :D
  24. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  25. Geekchick921

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Definitely!
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  26. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    My only reservation with light gray would be that it might seem out of place in the cold weather locations (Rochester, Philly, Chicago, etc) in the dead of winter.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  27. Bza

Bza MS3 Bronze Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's exactly what I wore to my interviews: gray pantsuit with a purple top. The gray wasn't too light, but not dark enough to be charcoal (I can't find a pic of my suit, but here's what the color was basically). However, instead of a button-up/collared shirt, I just wore a shell top with short sleeves. I only went to interviews in CA, so it was either hot or warm weather. And for some reason, the suit jacket + button-up shirt look just looks weird on me, and I was always afraid the shirt would bunch up when taking my jacket off and on :laugh:.

Cold weather interviews: When I was planning on going to an interview in DC, I bought a gray wool coat that almost matched my suit (it looked like it was made for the suit!) and a pair of leggings to wear underneath my pants if it was too cold (as I said in an earlier post, I bought a suit with lighter material). But I ended up canceling this interview when I got into my top choice CA school :).

Short-sleeve jackets: I think only women can pull them off :laugh: (there was an sdn thread on this topic), and maybe if you're going to interviews in hot weather, it would be okay. But I still personally like long-sleeved suits better, I just think they look more professional.

Matching suits: In my opinion, I think matching suits (top and bottom same color/material) look a lot better. And every single person in the interviews I went had on a matching suit :shrug:.

Skirts vs Pants: As others have said, I really think it doesn't matter. Most women I saw wore pants, but there were still plenty of women wearing skirts. Honestly, pick what looks best on you.

Shoes: I highly recommend you not wear high heels of any sort unless you've been wearing them all your life. For my first interview, I mistakenly wore heels (not even that high of heels). I wore them for a few hours at a time on a few occasions to break them in and they felt fine. But my first interview day lasted almost 9 hours! And we had quite a bit of walking all around campus (lots of stairs, gravel, and uneven terrain). I wanted to chop off my feet one hour into the interview day. I noticed a majority of the women at my interviews wearing flats of some kind. I bought a pair of comfort non-high heels from Naturalizer for my second interview, which were comfortable all day. Trust me, the last thing you want to be focusing on during your interview day is your feet!
  28. tiktok22

tiktok22

Pre-Medical
  29. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  30. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Most of my jackets have them. They've gotten thinner in more recent years, so I don't mind them as much. I think they do help the suit lay better across the lapels by providing more structure for the draping. If you're wearing a suit without lapels or of stiffer material, you probably won't need them.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  31. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's a good point...I wonder if it would be okay if I paired it with a less summery color?

I love BR for work clothing! :)

I don't like shoulder pads, especially because I don't have small shoulders to begin with and I don't want to emphasize them. I think most modern, fitted jackets don't have them? I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I needed to wear a suit for anything.

And this should hopefully go without saying, but don't underestimate the importance of tailoring!! It might cost you an additional $20-$50 depending on what you need tailored, but very few women fit perfectly into clothes off the rack and it makes an enormous difference in how the clothes look, especially with professional clothing.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  32. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you feel like a member of the Dallas Cowboys in one jacket, try something else or check with a dressmaker/tailor. I had a thrift shop boucle jacket with 1980s shoulder pads and I split the seams in the lining at the shoulder, excised the shoulder pads and closed the splits in the lining. Voila! A more contemporary sillouette.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  33. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Suit material, such as a wool blend, will go a long way towards making something less summery, especially for a daytime interview. A darker blouse, such as an eggplant purple, will also probably help. It's hard to judge without seeing the color in person.

Me too. It's a problem.

I think this varies by clothing retailer.

Cannot emphasize this enough. Note that you should always buy jackets to fit in the shoulders because this is the one dimension than cannot easily be altered.
  34. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    TheMightySmighter,

Since you like Banana, check out this collection in the dark charcoal...the color is actually somewhere between the lighter color shown and a true charcoal.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=41699

BR has frequent online sales, so you can probably snag this for about 30-40% off if you keep an eye out.
  35. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    This is a great idea, though I would probably be too scared to do this with an expensive brand new suit.

For the bold DIY types:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HfKWIOFDQw&feature=related

Here is a wool pinstripe pant suit:
    http://www.nanettelepore.com/new-arrivals.html
  36. DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan Quinn Morgendorffer

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This! They're having a 30% off everything sale online right now, but it ends today. They'll have another 30% off sale (the invite-only Give and Get Sale) pretty soon, which is online and in stores. I got my suit from Banana during one of the sales and it was great. The best thing was that I got a petite jacket and regular skirt to fit me perfectly, and I didn't have to get a single part tailored. Their suit pants looked pretty awful on me, but if you're not too hippy, then they should work.

I also recommend the Cole Haan shoe collection. They have rubber treads on the bottom so they're not clicky when you walk, and they've got padding so they're comfy enough to get you through an interview day. :thumbup:
  37. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  38. NoNotYouLionel

NoNotYouLionel Dancing on the ceiling.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So...purse or briefcase?
  39. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're going to hear a lot of differing opinions here, but your main options are a purse, tote/briefcase, or a zippered padfolio. Honestly, I think you'll be fine with any of them, but I'd recommend a tote over a briefcase.

If you go with a purse or tote (I define a tote as a bag that holds letter-sized notebooks or a laptop, and would not be carried as an everyday bag otherwise), make sure you've cleaned out the non-essentials so you don't have to dig through junk in your bag in your interview.

I prefer a tote and then carry a thin folio in it, but to each her own.

EDIT: To expound upon this opinion: in your interview day, they will most likely give you a packet of information. You should also have a packet of important documents such as your personal statement, AMCAS activities, etc. If you are holding a purse in one hand and a folio in the other, it is more difficult to shake hands with your interviewers as you enter/leave. If you can get away without a purse by just carrying a zippered folio, or if you're like me and have to have a bag, then if you carry a tote in which to put the packet, then it saves you the awkward hand switch / stuff adjustment phase. It's also one less thing to carry on tours. Silly reason? Maybe. But that's my thought process :)

(FYI, this is my tote -- in black, not red, and they did a horrible photoshop job re-coloring the picture on the front page...the "more photos" link is better) http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLAT...Category=11-1001-1002|Level=2-3-4|pageid=6578

Regardless, the bag should match your shoes in color, and be leather, faux leather, or quality microfiber.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  40. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I like that! Those are very classy. :)
  41. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    LOL, I actually only know of nanette lepore because I have several very tall (female) family members (e.g., 6'1'') who swear that they can only wear nanette lepore suits because other brands do not fit properly.
  42. NoNotYouLionel

NoNotYouLionel Dancing on the ceiling.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is very good to know; thanks.

Ack, finding the right brand to fit my body type is probably going to be a concern for me. I look best in pencil skirts, but because of my proportions stuff that fits across the bum is gaping at the waist.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  43. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
  44. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Any tailor can take out some fabric and move the location of a zipper if this is your problem, no worries.
  45. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did. They periodically have sales, maybe once a month or so?

It's hard to see in the photo, but the bag has white stitching around the edges. I love the way it looks (makes it more interesting than just black leather wall), but just FYI :)
  46. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Great! I will keep an eye on it to see if it goes on sale soon. Thanks for sharing, km17! :)
  47. flyinkstar89

flyinkstar89

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are heels a must? I would hate to take a long tour around campus in heels for a few hours!!
  48. medschool2016

medschool2016

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ya what are you guys' opinions on the shoes? No peep-toe pumps?? Would you guys recommend bringing a pair of black flats for the more walking around campus portion of the day?

Finally, what do you guys wear for shoes in the winter? I love my uggs and I can't imagine running in the snow/ice in dress shoes.
    LiFePO4try likes this.
  49. km17

km17 Annyong

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I talked about this a little bit earlier in the thread:

I think the above answers your questions flyinkstar. In general, heels can be dressier, but if you get the right flats, you should be just fine.

Medschool2016, no peep toes or slingbacks. If you want to change into flats for the tour, go for it!

I was travelling for work this winter, and we got hit by a snow storm, and I had to trudge around the northeast on icy and snowy roads in 3.5" stilettos = not fun. Avoid this at all costs.

I doubt you'll be running in the snow or ice for an interview, but you could probably manage a chunky heel dress shoe with a rubber sole (I doubt they'll be taking you out in super treacherous conditions). I think dressier boots would be a good answer too, but I wouldn't consider your typical Uggs to meet the bill.
  50. biophilia

biophilia

SDN 7+ Year Member
    What about jewelry? Earrings? Necklace?

Also, what about makeup and eye makeup (mascara? eye shadow?)
    LiFePO4try likes this.