Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on open toe shoes? Like black leather, very professional looking, but is peep-toe.

I really want to wear them because they're super comfortable business shoes, but is the open-toe thing an automatic no?

Edit: Kind of like these, but not patent and slightly lower heel
1860827-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

If you are planning to wear hose (with a skirt suit), your toes might look a bit odd.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are planning to wear hose (with a skirt suit), your toes might look a bit odd.

That's true. I saw at Macy's they sell toeless hose for open toe shoes (there's like loops you put your toes through to help them stay on maybe?) but then again, I think bare toes would look odd too. I'd stay away from bare toes.

That's true. I saw at Macy's they sell toeless hose for open toe shoes (there's like loops you put your toes through to help them stay on maybe?) but then again, I think bare toes would look odd too. I'd stay away from bare toes.

I run, so my toes are definitely not pretty enough for open toed shoes! I got a pair of Clarkes w low heels and synthetic soles. They're really comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on wearing a cream colored silk blouse, black skinny suit pants from jcrew, a grey blazer, and these pointy-toed Joie flats that are silk and have a print on them but they are tan and not loud at all...does this all sound too informal? I really don't like low heels on me and I have been told that ballet flats are unprofessional so I don't know what shoes are the best choice. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

These are the shoes (but in tan, obviously) btw: http://www.joie.com/day-dreaming-icon-red-black

I am planning on wearing a cream colored silk blouse, black skinny suit pants from jcrew, a grey blazer, and these pointy-toed Joie flats that are silk and have a print on them but they are tan and not loud at all...does this all sound too informal? I really don't like low heels on me and I have been told that ballet flats are unprofessional so I don't know what shoes are the best choice. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

These are the shoes (but in tan, obviously) btw: http://www.joie.com/day-dreaming-icon-red-black

You should get a full suit... meaning the pants should match the jacket (same color, same fabric). Design-wise the shoes look okay, but for me personally, I would stick with black shoes (especially if you're wearing black pants).

Edit: There were women at my interview who wore flats and it looked fine. Just make sure they are professional looking and not "cutesy" as some ballet-style flats can be.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help because I am totally clueless when it comes to fashion.

I have been looking at suit jackets at Express, and I wanted to ask if it's normal/okay for the shirt to show below the button. Ex:

http://www.express.com/clothing/one+button+peak+lapel+jacket+to+petite/pro/6743822/cat290006
http://www.express.com/clothing/one+button+studio+stretch+jacket/pro/6743238/cat290006 (the pic in grey is buttoned).

Do we typically leave our jackets buttoned? Buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when sitting?

Would blue and white stripes be too busy with a navy skirt suit? The button up is the same one as pictured: http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/suitingshirts/PRDOVR~44175/44175.jsp

My other option is a tie-neck shell, which looks very good but might be too much (being a tie-neck and colored). http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ryID=255#fn=sp=1&spc=34&kws=tie-neck&slotId=1

thoughts?

They both look good. I would probably go with the button up, the stripes are small enough that it doesn't seem too busy to me.

They both look good. I would probably go with the button up, the stripes are small enough that it doesn't seem too busy to me.

Thank you! I'll bring both and wear the one appropriate for the weather!

Oh gosh, yes I totally forgot about the hose! Yes that would look quite strange :(

Thanks for everyone's input, guess I'll have to go shopping for some comfy closed-toe shoes :smack:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help because I am totally clueless when it comes to fashion.

I have been looking at suit jackets at Express, and I wanted to ask if it's normal/okay for the shirt to show below the button. Ex:

http://www.express.com/clothing/one+button+peak+lapel+jacket+to+petite/pro/6743822/cat290006
http://www.express.com/clothing/one+button+studio+stretch+jacket/pro/6743238/cat290006 (the pic in grey is buttoned).

Do we typically leave our jackets buttoned? Buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when sitting?

All the way buttoned all the time. Men get to move their buttons around and whatnot, but we're not supposed to.

All the way buttoned all the time. Men get to move their buttons around and whatnot, but we're not supposed to.

Thanks! Is it normal for our shirt to be showing below the button of a one-button blazer as in those pics from Express, or is it that I would normally have my shirt tucked in, and those are just sort of "fashionable" pictures rather than professional?

Thanks! Is it normal for our shirt to be showing below the button of a one-button blazer as in those pics from Express, or is it that I would normally have my shirt tucked in, and those are just sort of "fashionable" pictures rather than professional?

I tucked in, and I think that was the norm. I was definitely more lax about the buttons though. Unless I was actually being interviewed, I didn't really adhere to close-buttoned etiquette.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

For women, buttoned up or down depends on the jacket. More importantly, wear the suit, don't let it wear you!

Dr. Scholl's makes some great heel inserts to keep you from sliding out of your shoes especially with pantyhose. (http://www.drscholls.com/Products/ForHerHeelLiners)

Finally, I feel like this is worth a mention since I've seen it a few times... watch the dandruff it tends to show especially well on a dark suit jacket. :(

I'm considering the color of my blouse. I can rock a black suit, but I despise the penguin look (white shirt, black suit). I spent too many years on debate team, I guess. :) My coloring does not look good with any pastels - they wash me out. I look and feel my best in deep colors, like wine, deep red, deep peacock blue, etc. I'm thinking of a deep wine color under my black suit, with black heels and a black structured tote. Simple gold jewelry and neutral makeup would finish the look...so, basically, the shirt would be the most noticeable thing I'd be wearing.

Think that would work?

BTW, I have to echo all the advice of tailoring. Few things look worse than an ill-fitting suit, but a tailored suit can look like a million bucks (even if it only cost a couple hundred). It is worth it.

I'm considering the color of my blouse. I can rock a black suit, but I despise the penguin look (white shirt, black suit). I spent too many years on debate team, I guess. :) My coloring does not look good with any pastels - they wash me out. I look and feel my best in deep colors, like wine, deep red, deep peacock blue, etc. I'm thinking of a deep wine color under my black suit, with black heels and a black structured tote. Simple gold jewelry and neutral makeup would finish the look...so, basically, the shirt would be the most noticeable thing I'd be wearing.

Think that would work?

BTW, I have to echo all the advice of tailoring. Few things look worse than an ill-fitting suit, but a tailored suit can look like a million bucks (even if it only cost a couple hundred). It is worth it.

That sounds great Runner --
(For a guy, it's a pimp look, but for a woman, perfectly acceptable and professional.)

Hi everyone,

I like those suits. Generally yes, buttoned standing, unbuttoned sitting--at least for my suits.

For those of you still searching for a suit, I wanted to share that J. Crew Factory is having a promotion right now on suits. I bought a wool suit yesterday (not a blend) for just over $200 with the 15% student discount, after having been to at least 5 different stores trying to find something that fit. SO relieved! Anyway, highly recommended if you don't want to spend that same 200 on polyester.

Every interview day I've been on there's been at least one girl who wears a pink or purple fluffy sweater, shorts, and sandals. You girls gotta spread the word to your friends that that is setting yourself up for autoreject.

Every interview day I've been on there's been at least one girl who wears a pink or purple fluffy sweater, shorts, and sandals. You girls gotta spread the word to your friends that that is setting yourself up for autoreject.

Really?? I've been on 3 interviews so far & have only seen one girl not in a suit.

That's some awful advising if no one ever told them that choice of clothes is unacceptable for med school interviews; I feel bad for the women not in suits.

That's crazy. I haven't seen anyone not in a suit. Even if you didn't know suits were the norm, how would shorts/sandals be the next reasonable outfit???

Really?? I've been on 3 interviews so far & have only seen one girl not in a suit.

That's some awful advising if no one ever told them that choice of clothes is unacceptable for med school interviews; I feel bad for the women not in suits.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be awful walking around interview day and realizing you are the only one not dressed up. I'm sure they learned their lesson.

Yikes! At my first one, there was a girl in black pants, a black short sleeve cotton top (not dressy at all, more like a tee) and these super-high open toe stiletto heels with silver studs all over them. Not good...

Hello ladies!
A question has been flying about my head and I'm hoping someone here can answer it-
At an interview, what do we do with our luggage? I don't plan on having more than a rolling carry-on but for most of my interviews I will be leaving directly from the school on to a bus/train/plane and won't have any place to stash my things prior.
I'm sure this is far from a novel problem but I can't seem to find anyone directly addressing it... Thank you!

Hello ladies!
A question has been flying about my head and I'm hoping someone here can answer it-
At an interview, what do we do with our luggage? I don't plan on having more than a rolling carry-on but for most of my interviews I will be leaving directly from the school on to a bus/train/plane and won't have any place to stash my things prior.
I'm sure this is far from a novel problem but I can't seem to find anyone directly addressing it... Thank you!

Most schools (read: essentially all schools ) will have a room to put your luggage. There will be plenty of other applicants leaving directly after, so you won't stick out in any way by bringing your stuff with you. Best of luck with your interview!

is it necessary for the suit jacket to be buttoned up? i found that people on the west coast typically say no and east coast say yes.

I am dealing with the lovely blessing of being 8 months pregnant at my upcoming interview. If you think it's hard to find a suit for your body type, try finding one while pregnant haha. I finally found a very business appropriate dress and a blazer to wear with it. Will I be looked down upon for this? Timing is so fun and ironic sometimes!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1380772279.295690.jpg

Are shoes like this appropriate for slacks? I'm not very good at walking with skinny heel shoes and I found these oxfords at the mall today and they were super comfortable but i don't know if they go with slacks

I am dealing with the lovely blessing of being 8 months pregnant at my upcoming interview. If you think it's hard to find a suit for your body type, try finding one while pregnant haha. I finally found a very business appropriate dress and a blazer to wear with it. Will I be looked down upon for this? Timing is so fun and ironic sometimes!

It is super illegal for them to base admissions decisions on whether or not you are pregnant, so hopefully not! I am sure you will look fabulous and professional, and they will not judge you for not wearing a traditional suit.

View attachment 25196

Are shoes like this appropriate for slacks? I'm not very good at walking with skinny heel shoes and I found these oxfords at the mall today and they were super comfortable but i don't know if they go with slacks

They're absolutely perfect! (Slacks are dark, right?)

It is super illegal for them to base admissions decisions on whether or not you are pregnant, so hopefully not! I am sure you will look fabulous and professional, and they will not judge you for not wearing a traditional suit.

Illegal or not (don't think it is, actually - you have to be able to 'perform the requirements' which is legitimately in some doubt...) your pregnancy will not be overlooked and you should be prepared to explain how you plan to cope. First baby? Please don't pretend to have all the answers -- just a reasonable plan. (Parents nearby?) Second or more kid? Then explain how well you're managing now.

But your proposed outfit sounds just right. -- Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
They're absolutely perfect! (Slacks are dark, right?)
Thanks for the quick response! I'm not super fashionable so I was really having a hard time lol I think I'm going to pick these up! They are so comfortable!

Yes, my slacks are black. :)

So question for everyone....I know that "heel height" has come up before, but I didn't get a good definitive answer in the 10 or so pages I've been scrolling through. I will be wearing a black skirt suit with a blue/teal button up shirt. I have plain black leather heels with about a 3" heel height. Is this too much? They are comfortable, and I can walk well in them. There's no "rise" on the toe part, so they don't look.....um, unsavory to say it nicely. Too much or totally fine? I didn't really think twice about it before because I was going to wear a pant suit, but realized that in the 8 years (and three kids ago) my suit has been sitting in the back of the closet, I may have put on/retained a few pounds, and the pants look horrible. So, skirt it is....and now my shoes won't be covered.
Suggestions?!

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/76997-1019959/Franco+Sarto/Black/Womens+Napoli.aspx

^^Those are the exact shoes :)

I tried to read most of the pages - hopefully this hasnt been answered. I bought a zippered padfolio (black leather), and am planning to bring this to interviews in lieu of a tote/purse many have suggested. What are peoples opinions on that? Too manly? Ok? I dont write anything but I can store papers in the padfolio and inside are slots for cards and ID place to put phone and keys and other compartments too (for like powder or whatever). Wont fit stuff like water snacks and the like though.

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this was answered either. I tried Googling this too (I feel so lame...lol). Anyway, my question is would it be okay if I wore a black pinstripe blazer with a solid black skirt? They are not part of the same skirt suit and so have different fabric. At a distance, I honestly thought the blazer was a dark dark grey (maybe because of the pinstripes). Would the fabric mixture look tacky? I'm planning on wearing a light pink button down underneath the blazer to lighten up the darkness.

The blazer came with a matching skirt, but the black skirt that I prefer to wear fits so perfectly! I already need to tailor the blazer... Or should I tailor the complete skirt suit and skip the solid skirt?

Sorry if this was confusing!! And thanks for any input! :oops:

I tried to read most of the pages - hopefully this hasnt been answered. I bought a zippered padfolio (black leather), and am planning to bring this to interviews in lieu of a tote/purse many have suggested. What are peoples opinions on that? Too manly? Ok? I dont write anything but I can store papers in the padfolio and inside are slots for cards and ID place to put phone and keys and other compartments too (for like powder or whatever). Wont fit stuff like water snacks and the like though.
I personally think the tote is better. I'm not sure if you will be wearing a skirt or anything, but if you will be, you can bring an extra set of hose in case one rips. I'm bringing my purse just because I get hungry like every 2 hours and I like having my extra little things like snacks, chapstick, water, tissue, maybe flat shoes... I'd just feel more secure but that's just me!

This is fine! I doubt anyone will question your femininity because you didn't go for a tote :laugh: As long as you aren't planning on bringing extra stuff, this should be more than sufficient.

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this was answered either. I tried Googling this too (I feel so lame...lol). Anyway, my question is would it be okay if I wore a black pinstripe blazer with a solid black skirt? They are not part of the same skirt suit and so have different fabric. At a distance, I honestly thought the blazer was a dark dark grey (maybe because of the pinstripes). Would the fabric mixture look tacky? I'm planning on wearing a light pink button down underneath the blazer to lighten up the darkness.

The blazer came with a matching skirt, but the black skirt that I prefer to wear fits so perfectly! I already need to tailor the blazer... Or should I tailor the complete skirt suit and skip the solid skirt?

I was sooo concerned about interview attire before interviewing, but now I've realized that it's way less of a big deal than I initially believed. I've seen girls in sleeveless dresses (not recommended), dress suits, mixed suit pieces/fabrics, you name it. If it fits well and looks professional, you will be fine. Charcoal and black are not a super radical combination, so I wouldn't worry about it. I actually have two suits and one probably could be tailored so I never wear it because I feel so much better in the other one!

Hey everyone!

Sorry - Actually, that's NOT an OK combination because it's clearly a case of 'top of one suit, bottom of another' instead of coordinating separates. If the jacket were anything other than pinstripes, it probably wouldn't have that look... Tailoring a skirt is not expensive, so have that done and make the pinstripe skirt fit as perfectly (note - NOT a tight or sexy fit) as the black one.

Remember ladies - You're going for 'professional' , which is NOT the same as 'most attractive'. They could, in theory, be the same -- but if you're aiming for what makes you look your best (ie. how we normally think), you could miss on the professionalism front.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey ladies! I have a nice fitting black suit with a black leather tote and black flats with a silver buckle on the toe. My jewelry will be silver and conservative and I will of course have the nude hose on just to be extra safe.

Only one question remains...What the heck goes under the suit!?

I am blonde, well-endowed, and have a darker complexion. I was thinking a shell in some shade of blue (goes with my eyes) or teal. Thoughts or advice on where to shop or what type of fabric the shell should be??

(button downs are questionable in terms of fit in the chest area)

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Alright girls I am officially entering this thread. Two things I want to talk about:

1) Bags. I want to get a tote that fits the bill that has been described above i.e. will fit a padfolio and other necessities--potentially laptop sized. Here's the deal: I already have a Longchamp tote that is the perfect size. The problem is that I have a black suit and my tote is navy. If you girls saw someone carrying a navy bag with a black suit, what would you think? If you girls have any recommendations of totes that won't break the bank, I will most likely go for that, but I don't want to drop $100 on something if I don't *really* need it.

2) Patent leather shoes. Sorry if this is has already been discussed, but how inappropriate are patent leather shoes? I want to get some black leather shoes but I am starting to be on a time crunch and it just seems like there are three pairs of patent shoes for every non-patent black leather pump out there and conveniently all the patent ones are comfortable and fit correctly while all the non-patents fit weird or don't exist in my size. For reference, I am wearing a black skirt suit with either a white button-up or a royal blue chiffon-y type button-up. Thoughts?

For reference, here is my bag:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...01_11001_5176d456e4b064445f182a7e_26246522431

Oh, and here is the blue shirt I was talking about (additional question: if I were wearing this shirt, would it make the navy bag seem less out-of-place? Or even worse since the blues aren't the same?)
http://www.thelimited.com/product/t...olorCode=259&ppid=c1&start=1&cgid=womens-tops

i asked this before but didn't get a response, how important is it to button up a suit jacket? my suit is a little tight on the waist so it would look weird buttoned (this is because i have small arms and shoulders so going up a side would make me look like i'm wearing menswear)

Thank you to all for their responses!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have a couple of questions. First off, I am 5'10" without heels, so would wearing heels be a no-no? Even with short heels I'll be 6 feet tall. I have no issue with this and feel comfortable (I love being tall) but some people have suggested that some men (who could be on admission committees) might have an issue with this- especially if it makes me taller. I think this seems a bit ludicrous, but the world is a crazy place, so who knows? I was planning on bringing flats in my tote for the campus tour, but would rather wear heels for the interview portion.

Also, for pantyhose- is nude the only appropriate color?

Lastly, I have a couple of nice looking tank tops that I was planning on wearing under my suit jacket. Would this be ok? My first interview is in Miami, so it will be hot. If I am wearing a tank top- am I not allowed to take off my jacket?

I am 5'11" and wore heels because I have better posture and more confidence being tall. If you can walk in them and they are appropriate, own it!

Nude is probably most appropriate.

Hi everyone. I have a couple of questions. First off, I am 5'10" without heels, so would wearing heels be a no-no? Even with short heels I'll be 6 feet tall. I have no issue with this and feel comfortable (I love being tall) but some people have suggested that some men (who could be on admission committees) might have an issue with this- especially if it makes me taller. I think this seems a bit ludicrous, but the world is a crazy place, so who knows? I was planning on bringing flats in my tote for the campus tour, but would rather wear heels for the interview portion.

Lastly, I have a couple of nice looking tank tops that I was planning on wearing under my suit jacket. Would this be ok? My first interview is in Miami, so it will be hot. If I am wearing a tank top- am I not allowed to take off my jacket?

I'm 6 feet tall and I've worn 2-3 inch wedges to all the conferences/job interviews that I have attended (I'm not a med school applicant yet). Personally, I find that heels improve my posture and look much better with pencil skirts than flats do.

At one interview it was only when I stood up to give my interviewer a handshake that he realized how tall I was. He then proceeded to ask me if I played volleyball or basketball, since "tall girls are always good at sports." (As if height = athletic prowess).

The only hassle I got was from another presenter at a conference. We were posing for a photo and he insisted that I squat next to him because I was "too tall." I think he was about 5'6" or thereabouts.

And as far as tank tops go, I was always told to NEVER remove your blazer while wearing them. It's just one of those unwritten interview-wear rules. Good luck in Miami!

Good Day Ladies!

I recently had a Skype interview with JHU for their post bacc program. I wore a traditional black business suit, my long hair in a well contained bun, and a white tuxedo style blouse with a very different collar, sort of a mandarin with scarf looking wrap on it. I wore a small tasteful brooch in my lapel.

If I am chosen for an on campus interview, I bought this at Macy's - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/le-suit-skirt-suit-ruffle-collar-jacket-straight-skirt?ID=790487

I have a tasteful scoop neck white tank for underneath to cover cleavage.

My question is this: Is the ruffle on the collar too casual? I thought it was a nice "make me different" feature.

I am 6 ft and I wore dressy loafers.