Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks DokterMom and LaceyMD!

I was also thinking as for the tote . . .I wanted to go for something like this:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...men/Handbags/products/Neverfull-PM-EPI-M40958

I absolutely refuse to break the bank with that. Is there a cheaper alternative but similar size and shade?

Also, I wanted to know . . . .regarding purse shopping . .. it is something that you would do online? or you have to do it in person?
Suppose you buy the purse online .. . how do you know about its fit and how sure can you be of the shade?

TjMaxx and Kohls usually have a great variety of interview appropriate totes, and really good prices. Some people buy purses online, but I always prefer to see in person to see the material, exact shade, how it looks on me, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

TjMaxx and Kohls usually have a great variety of interview appropriate totes, and really good prices. Some people buy purses online, but I always prefer to see in person to see the material, exact shade, how it looks on me, etc.

I'll second that...I've gotten some great bags from Kohls, and I've also had some hit-or-miss luck with totes at H&M.

I also like buying online, but if I'm doing that, I go for the high-end. I have two great Kate Spade bags in my rotation right now (yeah, I've got a thing for handbags) that I picked up cheap from Ideeli and Gilt. It's easier to be confident in the quality that way, but it does require patience to wait for the right sale with the right product at the right price.

I was also thinking as for the tote . . .I wanted to go for something like this:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...men/Handbags/products/Neverfull-PM-EPI-M40958

I absolutely refuse to break the bank with that. Is there a cheaper alternative but similar size and shade?

Great-looking tote, but I'm so glad you added that "refuse to break the bank" clarification! That's just the right look, but a designer bag where an authentic one costs that much risks sending the message that you're a high maintenance Daddy's Girl. Whether it's real or fake, labels of that caliber get noticed and send a strong message. Go nameless but tasteful -- Canvas is fine too. But yeah - that's just the right look.

Also check Office Supply stores. And watch for a big sale - they happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so when you are buying a a tote .. . .. is it a bad thing if it has open pockets out in the front?
Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-La-Carte-Black-Size/dp/B001DW5FCC/ref=sr_1_45?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1400784476&sr=1-45&keywords=tote bag for women

What price would be appropriate for a tote? Like around $30-40?
Considering the tight budget?

Thanks for the websites and the ideas by the way.

You want something that looks tailored, neat and tidy. The Baggallini bag shown in the link above is right on the boundary of 'OK' and 'a bit too casual'. Unless you LOVE it, I think you can do better. Minimal 'decorative hardware' and/or visual clutter, conservative color (navy, burgundy, black, brown, olive) I went to Amazon and entered "Business Tote" and "Laptop Tote" and got lots of good-looking hits at reasonable price points ($20-80) I particularly like these two, in either tan or black

http://www.amazon.com/Women-In-Busi...qid=1400798058&sr=8-16&keywords=business+tote
http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Co...F8&qid=1400798293&sr=8-7&keywords=laptop+tote

Hello all! I see a lot of people advising against tan/khaki/beige suits, but what are you opinions on this one? I think the bird's-eye pattern keeps it from looking too casual, and I have tried it on in the store and it's a little darker than it appears in the first picture (the second picture is a more accurate depiction of the color). I'm not against the grey/navy/black suit idea, but this was by far my favorite style that I have tried on and it only comes in this color.

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...onceptIdUnderSale=cat90030&rootConcept=Misses

Hello all! I see a lot of people advising against tan/khaki/beige suits, but what are you opinions on this one? I think the bird's-eye pattern keeps it from looking too casual, and I have tried it on in the store and it's a little darker than it appears in the first picture (the second picture is a more accurate depiction of the color). I'm not against the grey/navy/black suit idea, but this was by far my favorite style that I have tried on and it only comes in this color.

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...onceptIdUnderSale=cat90030&rootConcept=Misses

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure why people advise against tan/khaki/beige suits. So many of the admissions directors at interviews commented on the sea of black, and said they wished people would wear color more (anything other than black/navy). 90% of applicants will be in black, and occasionally navy or dark grey.One girl in beige got a big compliment from the admissions director at one interview, actually. I think as long as your suit looks formal--and the one you linked looks great!--it's all good. Just make sure you feel confident in what you're wearing!

Reactions: 1 users
I know people won't have time to read the whole thread, so I want to put this in as many places as possible:
Tailoring is your best friend, ever. It will make the suit look sharp and extend its life. A good tailor is worth the extra 40-100 you will spend. It will take an average looking suit and make it look awesome and bring a cheap suit up to acceptable standards.

Reactions: 2 users

For SUMMER interviews, the suit is fine - though you'll have to be more careful to be highly polished with your blouse than if your suit were navy. But after September, I'd suggest a darker color.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think khaki as a color is too informal in general for any interview, summer or winter. Grey or navy is far better.

Khaki is a casual suit by definition. It can be dressed up or down, but it will always be casual.

I luckily don't have to even think about this whole process for another 3-4 years, but I'm curious... Would these pants be considered "too riskay"?

http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Pants-...GltLVRyb3VzZXJzLXdpdGgtWmlwLURldGFpbC9Qcm9kLw..

Of course, I'm not a fan of the gold zipper detailing on the bum and side, I was more curious about the fit.
I don't think skinny pants are the way to go. Sorry. :( That fit is one of my personal favorites, but it isn't appropriate for a medical school interview in my opinion.

I don't think skinny pants are the way to go. Sorry. :( That fit is one of my personal favorites, but it isn't appropriate for a medical school interview in my opinion.

Dang! Oh well, it was worth a shot to ask!

It's one of my favorites as well..

I was thinking of wearing a high rise grey pencil skirt with a solid decent colored blouse or shirt inside on top (a cream or wine red or something), and a black suit blazer. Would that work? Or is it better to wear the same shade for the suit and skirt? I thought this was professional but still would stand out in a room full of black and charcoal suits.

I have a charcoal pantsuit. Is a skirt suit better? I'm petite (short and slender) so a knee-length skirt makes me look even shorter.

I was thinking of wearing a high rise grey pencil skirt with a solid decent colored blouse or shirt inside on top (a cream or wine red or something), and a black suit blazer. Would that work? Or is it better to wear the same shade for the suit and skirt? I thought this was professional but still would stand out in a room full of black and charcoal suits.

I'm assuming that by 'high rise' you mean that the top of the skirt sits at/above your natural waistline? If so, then you're fine. If you mean that the skirt is somewhat short, then not so fine. And 'pencil' skirts tend to be pretty fitted. Make sure yours is not too tight! If yours fits the way they fit on TV, it's 1-2 sizes too small.

Since your jacket and skirt are not made from the same fabric (ie a suit), make sure both fabrics are professional enough not to look too casual.

I have a charcoal pantsuit. Is a skirt suit better? I'm petite (short and slender) so a knee-length skirt makes me look even shorter.

Pantsuits are fine, especially in a conservative color like charcoal.

Pantsuits are fine, especially in a conservative color like charcoal.
Great! It's wool so I'm happy about that. Time to visit the alteration shop and make sure it fits properly now that I've had a baby. :)

For my interviews I have picked out a pantsuit with a sleeveless blouse underneath. During one of my interviews, however, the campus tour will be outdoors in a very humid and hot location (95+ degrees). Will it be OK for me to remove my business jacket during the campus tour (I have heard that it is never acceptable to remove one's business jacket in a formal setting)? If so, should I invest in a different top that covers some portion of my upper arm, and how much of my upper arm would be appropriate in this setting?

Where do you go shopping for the dress shoes?

I have trouble to find a pair of comfortable and good fit dress shoes.

For my interviews I have picked out a pantsuit with a sleeveless blouse underneath. During one of my interviews, however, the campus tour will be outdoors in a very humid and hot location (95+ degrees). Will it be OK for me to remove my business jacket during the campus tour (I have heard that it is never acceptable to remove one's business jacket in a formal setting)? If so, should I invest in a different top that covers some portion of my upper arm, and how much of my upper arm would be appropriate in this setting?

In that kind of climate, for a mostly-outdoor tour, it would be ridiculous not to remove your jacket. You will look much more self-confident and sensible without a jacket, not to mention actually be far more comfortable.

Regarding sleeves -- Short sleeves or cap sleeves would generally be better than sleeveless; but I wouldn't categorically say that anything sleeveless is bad -- that's too broad a brush. Just evaluate carefully if your shirt, without a jacket, still reads as professional. Also, given the weather you describe, see how the fabric looks when wet. Some show moisture much more than others...

In that kind of climate, for a mostly-outdoor tour, it would be ridiculous not to remove your jacket. You will look much more self-confident and sensible without a jacket, not to mention actually be far more comfortable.

Regarding sleeves -- Short sleeves or cap sleeves would generally be better than sleeveless; but I wouldn't categorically say that anything sleeveless is bad -- that's too broad a brush. Just evaluate carefully if your shirt, without a jacket, still reads as professional. Also, given the weather you describe, see how the fabric looks when wet. Some show moisture much more than others...
Seconded, but make sure if it's sleeveless, that your bra straps won't show at all!

Related question: Are pantyhose still necessary with 95 degree tours on the schedule?

FYI: Barney's warehouse is having a 75% off sale on clearance stuff. You might find appropriate shoes or such there which are marked down significantly.

I interviewed during the last cycle, and I would love to share some big women's interview clothing things I came across. Hopefully it is helpful! It's much more difficult being a woman and dressing professionally because we simply have more options. I am sure a LOT of these (probably all of them) have been discussed before, but I thought I would share regardless.

This is from my experience:

- Don't wear a skirt and not wear panty hose. I had to wear it in 95F+ weather, but in an interview setting you have to wear it.
- On the same note, don't wear open toed shoes with panty-hose (or in general, they aren't as professional).
- I know that everyone is in a "sea of black/navy", but don't try and stand out by wearing something else (except for grey, that's okay). Stand out with your personality and experiences. I saw a bright green suit, and it not only looked out of place, but it was distracting. I also am in the camp for no kaki/beige suits, they are too casual.
-You have to wear a suit. Not a dress or a skirt with a nice blouse. I saw one girl wearing just a skirt and a blouse that wasn't tucked in.
- No bulky jewelry for the same reasons of being too distracting.
- Please don't wear too much makeup, but wear some to enhance your features and look well put together. I would recommend making sure you are using a primer, especially in hot weather. The last thing you want is to have makeup that is smudging (eyeliner raccoon eyes) and having to worry about it. Youtube has some great makeup tutorials if you aren't comfortable with it.
- Think about weather and how you are doing your hair. Make sure it will look nice all day (or better yet, pack a brush) and that it won't be constantly in your face. You want to look polished, and hair can be one of the most annoying things to deal with on interview day.
- Most women will need a bag for their stuff, don't stress too much about it, but make sure it isn't huge (and no backpacks) and that it is a black/brown/grey bag that is non-distracting that compliments your suit.
- For happy feet, bring two pairs of shoes. I wore flats during walking tours and changed into heels for the interview. I just made sure my bag was big enough for the shoes to fit. Some tours can be long, and of all the things I did, bringing two pairs of shoes was the smartest.
- If you are wearing a skirt (and I am in the camp where skirt>pants in how professional, but it really doesn't matter too much), make sure it isn't too short! You don't want to have to worry about sitting down and how far your skirt is riding up.
- If you are going to wear pants, make sure they aren't dragging on the ground or too short. And wear matching, conservative socks.
- Your bra straps and/or any form of undergarment should NOT be showing. If you are worried about it at all, re-think your outfit.
- I think wearing a button down shirt w/ collar is the most professional, but blouses are a good option too as long as they are dressy blouses and not a t-shirt/tank top that you are trying to dress up. Also, make sure they have some sort of a sleeve.
- If you are going to have nail polish on, it should be a very soft/unnoticeable color and should NOT be chipped. No wearing a different color on each nail - I saw that.
-Don't show too much skin in general.
- Like my dad always told me, you can always be underdressed, but you can never be overdressed (but an evening gown is a bad idea).

Reactions: 7 users
Bag question!

Is this color (sort of a deep royal blue) too bold/not neutral enough?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rebecca-minkoff-medium-mab-tote/3722765

It comes in a lighter beige but I wasn't sure if it would be too bright against a dark suit.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rebecca-minkoff-medium-mab-leather-tote/3835566

For matching purposes, my suit is black. Faux pas, I know, but it's the only color they had when I went shopping.

Yeah, unfortunately for an interview, that blue is too bold. The styling's perfect though. For 'regular' use, it's professional enough and really great-looking.

What are common hairstyles? Is just wearing it down and straightened acceptable?

What are common hairstyles? Is just wearing it down and straightened acceptable?

Almost all of the girls I saw last year had their hair down and straightened, though some did buns and or ponytails. Just keep it clean and have a brush (just in case!) to use right before you go in for the actual interview :)

Hair down and straightened was my personal safest bet (although now that I have learned how to use my curling iron I probably would have curled it). Buns that were done properly looked pretty good too. I would stay away from ponytails (I don't think they look as professional for an interview) and half up/half down.

Hair down and straightened was my personal safest bet (although now that I have learned how to use my curling iron I probably would have curled it). Buns that were done properly looked pretty good too. I would stay away from ponytails (I don't think they look as professional for an interview) and half up/half down.
Thank y'all so much! That's what I was thinking too. I'm not very old at doing hair, so I'm glad straightened is the norm

Why not half up/half down? I wore that to most if not all my interviews.

Why not half up/half down? I wore that to most if not all my interviews.

It depends on how you do it (like most hair styles). Sometimes it can be very well done but a lot of the ones I saw ended up being sloppy looking. It also depends on the hair type you have. Some people can pull off a really sleek pony tail and make it look really professional. I was more just stating what would be "safer" options that will look professional.

It depends on how you do it (like most hair styles). Sometimes it can be very well done but a lot of the ones I saw ended up being sloppy looking. It also depends on the hair type you have. Some people can pull off a really sleek pony tail and make it look really professional. I was more just stating what would be "safer" options that will look professional.

As @Vans42 said -- It really depends on your hair length and texture, and on your competence styling it. Your hair should be neat and clean (obviously), out of your face, and in general, out of the way. It should look like you "don't have to mess with it" all day.

Are buns too severe? I know someone mentioned them as an acceptable style already, but I don't want to look uptight or anything so I'm a little concerned. Wearing my hair down isn't really an option though -- I live in a non humid climate and my naturally curly hair has a panic attack when exposed to the east coast humidity :( I'm not really good with hairstyles or makeup or anything so I'm so glad that this thread exists!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Are buns too severe? I know someone mentioned them as an acceptable style already, but I don't want to look uptight or anything so I'm a little concerned. Wearing my hair down isn't really an option though -- I live in a non humid climate and my naturally curly hair has a panic attack when exposed to the east coast humidity :( I'm not really good with hairstyles or makeup or anything so I'm so glad that this thread exists!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile
I don't think buns are too severe :) Youtube has some awesome tutorials about hair and makeup (it's how I learned). I think that if you take a weekend morning to practice practice practice different techniques it can do a world of good. Also, if you go into a store like Sephora and ask how to do a particular technique, often times they will show you for free and you can see how things look on you (and let them know it's for a professional interview). You can also get your skin tone analyzed and they can tell you exactly which foundation is a match (and if you are going to splurge on any type of makeup, foundation is a pretty solid way to go). They have different brands with the same options, so you don't have to break the bank.

Also, if you have any friends who are pros at doing their own hair and makeup sometimes they are the best resource!

I also recommend a travel size size bottle of hair gel for anyone with curly hair interviewing in humid climates. I carry one with me every day to work in FL and it is a lifesaver before meetings!

Also, if we are bringing a tote to an interview, should it be big enough for a pad of paper? I haven't been on an interview yet, but my first one is coming up, so I am not really sure if we need to bring stuff like that.

Thanks!

I also recommend a travel size size bottle of hair gel for anyone with curly hair interviewing in humid climates. I carry one with me every day to work in FL and it is a lifesaver before meetings!

Also, if we are bringing a tote to an interview, should it be big enough for a pad of paper? I haven't been on an interview yet, but my first one is coming up, so I am not really sure if we need to bring stuff like that.

Thanks!

Having a bag big enough for a pad of paper isn't a bad idea.. A lot of times I would jam a folder filled with itineraries or other info into my purse - although all the guys had to carry this kind of stuff around so you wouldn't look strange if you did. I also took a leather portfolio with me just in case (but it was very useless). I also always had two pairs of shoes with me, so my purse was big enough for the extra set too.

Thanks for all the pointers in this thread! Weird question, but would you recommend for busty ladies to wear a minimizer bra?

I'm in the process of getting my blazer tailored and I don't know whether to get it fitted for my natural bust size or my minimized bust size. I went ahead and ordered a blazer large enough to accommodate my chest, but it's going to require some very involved tailoring to fit the rest of my body. Due to my wonky physique (size 14 bust, but the rest of my body is a size 6), I was told I need to make myself look more proportional. :dead: This'll be the first time I will have ever had to wear a suit, so I'm a little overwhelmed.

Thanks for all the pointers in this thread! Weird question, but would you recommend for busty ladies to wear a minimizer bra?

I'm in the process of getting my blazer tailored and I don't know whether to get it fitted for my natural bust size or my minimized bust size. I went ahead and ordered a blazer large enough to accommodate my chest, but it's going to require some very involved tailoring to fit the rest of my body. Due to my wonky physique (size 14 bust, but the rest of my body is a size 6), I was told I need to make myself look more proportional. :dead: This'll be the first time I will have ever had to wear a suit, so I'm a little overwhelmed.
In my opinion, which I am not an expert by any means, I think you should choose your bra based on what will make you feel more comfortable and confident. As long as your outfit is professional it shouldn't matter how large your chest is. If you are feeling uncomfortable or self-conscious that will detract more than a large chest.

Most of the minimizers I've seen squeeze the girls into your armpits and flatten you in an odd way, so it may or may not be a good look for you, depending on your own particular shape and your minimizer bra. And of course, the shirt/blouse you plan to wear...

Have you looked into a shorter, boxier shaped jacket? The jacket's looser shape might better disguise the imbalance. Or a boxy jacket over a matching tailored dress?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/179713197/vogue-9630-blouson-dress-double-breasted
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...ersjackets/open-front-jacket-0155-10522114--1
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...g-seps-blazersjackets/charles-textured-jacket

Most of the minimizers I've seen squeeze the girls into your armpits and flatten you in an odd way, so it may or may not be a good look for you, depending on your own particular shape and your minimizer bra. And of course, the shirt/blouse you plan to wear...

Have you looked into a shorter, boxier shaped jacket? The jacket's looser shape might better disguise the imbalance. Or a boxy jacket over a matching tailored dress?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/179713197/vogue-9630-blouson-dress-double-breasted
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...ersjackets/open-front-jacket-0155-10522114--1
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...g-seps-blazersjackets/charles-textured-jacket

Thanks for the input! I think I may just stay away from the minimizers. I've actually been using high-impact sports bras – which I've worn for triathlons – so they're pretty comfortable. They do squish the chesticular region into the infamous uniboob shape, however.

Unfortunately, I'm 6', so short jackets are an absolute no-go. :( It took me over a month to find a blazer that was long enough to reach my hips (for all you elongated ladies, it was through J. Crew's online tall section).

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure why people advise against tan/khaki/beige suits. So many of the admissions directors at interviews commented on the sea of black, and said they wished people would wear color more (anything other than black/navy). 90% of applicants will be in black, and occasionally navy or dark grey.One girl in beige got a big compliment from the admissions director at one interview, actually. I think as long as your suit looks formal--and the one you linked looks great!--it's all good. Just make sure you feel confident in what you're wearing!
I think this comes back to the snowflake factor. We have noticed an increase in the number of applicants who are so special that the usual expectations don't apply to them. People love to comment on young people in dark suits, but when it comes down to it, you don't want to stand out because of what you wore.

Edit: I just noticed your username, this was a general statement not directed at you, in particular!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this comes back to the snowflake factor. We have noticed an increase in the number of applicants who are so special that the usual expectations don't apply to them. People love to comment on young people in dark suits, but when it comes down to it, you don't want to stand out because of what you wore.

Edit: I just noticed your username, this was a general statement not directed at you, in particular!
Besides being "special", brown and lighter suits are just considered less formal and more business casual. I have a lovely brown suit that looks much better on me with my skin and hair color tone and was advised that although it was indeed lovely, black was best (for surgery oral boards). Women do have some leeway when it comes to blouse colors and you can standout albeit in a good way with that.

For women with long hair, is it acceptable to keep it open? Or do I have tie them up? I'm not a fan of buns. Wondering if I should just get a hair cut lol.