Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about jewelry? Earrings? Necklace?

Also, what about makeup and eye makeup (mascara? eye shadow?)

Do you guys think it is appropriate to wear a blouse that isn't the standard button up collared shirt (underneath a suit coat)?

Yup!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/elie-ta...-pants/3211871?origin=category&resultback=428 Is it bad going for the super trendy high fashion stuff? I really hate wearing suits..they're boring.

I actually like the first one better, but I will definitely default to km here.

Here's my opinion on the full run down. The others have had good things to say.

In general, jewelry (including watch) should be of metal or precious stones (or good fakes, but no rhinestones). No plastic, ceramic, fabric, or feathers. The style should be classic and simple, not trendy.

*snip*
I think everyone should wear make-up to an interview. It will make you look more polished and pulled together. That being said, the key is to look natural.

*snip*

The key here is, wear it, but a little bit goes a LONG way. If you don't regularly wear make-up, and are planning to try something new, I'd try it out before interview day!

I definitely agree with you here!

But I honestly had no idea that, if your ears were pierced, you are supposed to wear earrings. Mine were pierced as a baby and while my holes are still open, I don't wear them often. I'm pretty sure I have a nickel allergy that gives me a contact dermatitis reaction after awhile. Earrings start to make me crazy if I wear them for too long and I often have to take off my wedding set for this reason. :(

Personally, I just wore my wedding set on my left hand and a small, dragonfly pendant necklace that was a Mother's Day gift. This looks a lot like it, and it is less than 1" across.

Definitely :thumbup: to make-up but don't look all tarted up. I wore my make-up the same way I do most days, which is a pretty natural look.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have suggestions on where to suit shop for an 18 Tall? Most of the usual suspects have up to 18 Regular, or 16 Tall. I'm dropping weight and mightbe able to fit into the 16 I own by the time an interview would roll around :)xf:), but I'd like to be prepared just in case.

I actually like the first one better, but I will definitely default to km here.

It's not the concept I'm opposed to, but there are a few stylistic elements that I would alter before wearing something like this.

-Material: Synthic jersey knit...not as dressy as a wool blend.
-Style: Wrap-dresses are not biz prof. Even though it's technically not a real wrap it looks like it under the jacket. A straight shift would be better.
-Jacket length: IMHO looks more like an overcoat than a suit jacket, but I also don't like boucle jackets, so this one could just be me :)

But I honestly had no idea that, if your ears were pierced, you are supposed to wear earrings.

I should have clarified this...thanks for the callout Geekchick! If your hair is pulled back or if ever you tuck your hair back behind your ears, and your holes are obvious, you need to wear earrings (this is probably almost everyone). The rationale I've often heard is that it looks you just forgot if you don't--I don't know how true this is. If you don't often wear earrings (as in 1-2 times per year), then your holes may be small enough to get away with it.

However, I would not wear earrings in any less traditional ear piercings.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the concept I'm opposed to, but there are a few stylistic elements that I would alter before wearing something like this.

-Material: Synthic jersey knit...not as dressy as a wool blend.
-Style: Wrap-dresses are not biz prof. Even though it's technically not a real wrap it looks like it under the jacket. A straight shift would be better.
-Jacket length: IMHO looks more like an overcoat than a suit jacket, but I also don't like boucle jackets, so this one could just be me :)
Gotcha. That dress, personally, would have shown a ridiculous about of cleavage on me, so I wouldn't wear it, but I know a dress suit in and of itself isn't a bad idea.

I should have clarified this...thanks for the callout Geekchick! If your hair is pulled back or if ever you tuck your hair back behind your ears, and your holes are obvious, you need to wear earrings (this is probably almost everyone). The rationale I've often heard is that it looks you just forgot if you don't--I don't know how true this is. If you don't often wear earrings (as in 1-2 times per year), then your holes may be small enough to get away with it.

However, I would not wear earrings in any less traditional ear piercings.

Ah! I see. My hair is almost always pulled back, but I wear earrings only a couple times per year. I don't think my holes are very obvious, but maybe it's a good thing all my adcom interviewers were guys. :)

Tarted up. Bahahahahaha.

That expression doesn't get nearly enough use, IMO. :)

Sale notice by the way:

Talbots Outlet: 30-50% off, 7/26-8/1

Banana Republic: invite only, today only...40% off two full-priced items (first one to ask gets my invite code, I don't need it)

Would it be better to wear no earrings than to twirl appropriate earrings throughout an interview?

Also, Km17, you said to avoid rhinestones. Is that because they are too shiny or because they look fake? Would small diamond studs be appropriate or would they reflect too much light?

Wear earrings and try not to twirl? Haha, sorry, not helpful. I bite my nails when I'm nervous, but can't do that in an interview either :nono:

Rhinestones almost always look cheap and fake. Diamond studs are perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to dress to look older? I am only 19 to begin with, and I get comments on a daily basis about how I look like I'm 15 or 16 (last week someone told me I looked like I was 12 :annoyed:). I am just worried I won't be taken seriously because I look like a pre-teen dressing up in my mom's clothes.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have suggestions on where to suit shop for an 18 Tall? Most of the usual suspects have up to 18 Regular, or 16 Tall. I'm dropping weight and mightbe able to fit into the 16 I own by the time an interview would roll around :)xf:), but I'd like to be prepared just in case.

Check out Talbot's online. Their suiting apparel goes up to 20 Long, and their seasonless wool blend material is super nice!

Does anyone have any ideas about how to dress to look older? I am only 19 to begin with, and I get comments on a daily basis about how I look like I'm 15 or 16 (last week someone told me I looked like I was 12 :annoyed:). I am just worried I won't be taken seriously because I look like a pre-teen dressing up in my mom's clothes.

Dressing very conservatively and traditionally will go a long way. Avoid super feminine cuts or colors.

If you're will to go this far, shorter hair (shoulder lengthish) can usually help you look more mature.

And lastly, but most importantly, how you carry and present yourself will determine how seriously you are taken. Good posture, avoiding "um's", and having a prepared and confident understanding of yourself as an applicant should do the trick.

Thoughts on getting a sheath dress/jacket set? I look the best in dresses.

Thoughts on getting a sheath dress/jacket set? I look the best in dresses.

A dress and jacket combo, while less traditional, is business formal. If your jacket and dress are the same color, they should be the same shade and material by the same manufacturer. Your dress should not look like a party or cocktail dress.

Another thing to consider is that while you may look best in dresses, you may not look best in a dress + jacket. I think this look is actually harder to pull off well. Try on some different options (such as a jacket + high-waisted pencil skirt combo) to see what's most flattering.

Dressing very conservatively and traditionally will go a long way. Avoid super feminine cuts or colors.

If you're will to go this far, shorter hair (shoulder lengthish) can usually help you look more mature.

And lastly, but most importantly, how you carry and present yourself will determine how seriously you are taken. Good posture, avoiding "um's", and having a prepared and confident understanding of yourself as an applicant should do the trick.

Thanks KM! When you say shoulder length hair, does that mean you think wearing it down in my situation might be the most appropriate?

Members don't see this ad :)
A dress and jacket combo, while less traditional, is business formal. If your jacket and dress are the same color, they should be the same shade and material by the same manufacturer. Your dress should not look like a party or cocktail dress.

Another thing to consider is that while you may look best in dresses, you may not look best in a dress + jacket. I think this look is actually harder to pull off well. Try on some different options (such as a jacket + high-waisted pencil skirt combo) to see what's most flattering.

Good point. There is just no way I can pull off a pantsuit, so I need some other options.

But I honestly had no idea that, if your ears were pierced, you are supposed to wear earrings. Mine were pierced as a baby and while my holes are still open, I don't wear them often. I'm pretty sure I have a nickel allergy that gives me a contact dermatitis reaction after awhile. Earrings start to make me crazy if I wear them for too long and I often have to take off my wedding set for this reason. :(

I have the same problem. I've tried using different types of metals for earrings, but towards the end of the day, I still get itchy ears. I've had my ears pierced since I was 15, but I've only had this problem for the last year or two. I also have an ear cartilage piercing near the top of my ear, but I left that out for my interviews (the hole is very small and unnoticeable) just to be on the safe side.

I have the same problem. I've tried using different types of metals for earrings, but towards the end of the day, I still get itchy ears. I've had my ears pierced since I was 15, but I've only had this problem for the last year or two. I also have an ear cartilage piercing near the top of my ear, but I left that out for my interviews (the hole is very small and unnoticeable) just to be on the safe side.

You've probably tried all these but...hypoallergenic (nickel-free), surgical steel, 18k or greater gold?

Thanks KM! When you say shoulder length hair, does that mean you think wearing it down in my situation might be the most appropriate?

If you have really, really long hair (longer than the back band of your bra or the middle of your back) and don't want to cut it, I'd say put it up. Otherwise, up or down doesn't necessarily make you look older. This really depends on your face :)

If you do go up, higher on your head tends to look younger than lower towards the nape of your neck.

EDIT: When I refer to as hair as put "up" I am also including put "back," such as a ponytail, or a half-up style.

Don't wear anything short, stretchy, or clingy. As an almost 30-year-old, nothing makes me say "Damn kids these days" faster than a college-aged woman at an interview in a skin-tight dress showing more than 1/2 her thigh. And I'm not that old, or that conservative.

Check out Talbot's online. Their suiting apparel goes up to 20 Long, and their seasonless wool blend material is super nice!
Thank you, I'll look into their stuff. Damned hips...

Anything that'll look nice and you won't play with it. I wore it down for my first interview, with a headband, but it made me hot (it was late September and I couldn't take off my jacket because of my shirt) and I kept wanting to play with it. I resisted but it was hard... if I have a band on my wrist I'll pull my hair back almost unconsciously. I'm pretty sure I've even done it in my sleep.

So... since I'm so used to my hair being up, I decided to pull it back to a mid-height ponytail with little bit of fringe on the sides (looked less severe) for my second and third interviews. I think I had a side part, too... I forget. I would have done a low pony at the nape of my neck but my hair's too short for that. I was worried at first that it wouldn't look professional enough, but I thought it looked nice, I don't think I was the only one sporting a ponytail and I was much more comfortable. That said, if you do a ponytail, choose an elastic that matches your hair color or wrap a bit of your hair around the band. IIRC, I put a black clip (which matched my suit) in and I thought that looked a little nicer.

Disclaimer: I'm admittedly hair challenged and I have neither the patience or the skill to do anything much fancier than what I did, especially since my hair isn't long enough for even a respectable bun or French Twist. Also, I have no idea how people can French braid their own hair.

Last edited:
Also, I have no idea how people can French braid their own hair.

Is it appropriate to wear a french braid to an interview? That's one of my go-to hairstyles and I feel very comfortable in it.

Something like this, perhaps?
pakcinema.com-frenchbraid-six1.jpg

Or even this?
images

I feel like the second one might be a little too cazh but I still kinda like it. :)

Is it appropriate to wear a french braid to an interview? That's one of my go-to hairstyles and I feel very comfortable in it.

I feel like the second one might be a little too cazh but I still kinda like it. :)

I like both...the second one is my favorite actually :)

Guy's opinion, so take that for what it's worth (but a guy with an ex-wife and daughter who have taught me way too much about hair and makeup, I've given more than a few female friends excellent advice that they have later thanked me for), the second one looks closer to a night out than a day at the office. I would definitely go for the first one for a professional setting.

I'm guessing way too casual: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/st-john...blazer/3186232?origin=category&resultback=433 ?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/elie-ta...-pants/3211871?origin=category&resultback=428 Is it bad going for the super trendy high fashion stuff? I really hate wearing suits..they're boring.
These both look great but look more like you're applying to work in an ad agency than a medical institution, if that makes sense. As annoying as it is, boring is a good thing here. You should be asking yourself "would this look out of place on a 50s/60s sitcom?" or "would somebody stop me and ask me if I was lost if I walked into an FBI office wearing this?". If your answer is yes, then you should probably dial it back a bit.

Because here's the deal: your clothes are almost certainly never going to HELP you in your interviews, but they can sure has hell HURT you. The clothes I will be wearing on the interview trail have nothing to do with my normal sense of style. The best possible result for your clothes is that none of your interviewers will remember what you were wearing 5 minutes after you walk out the door.

Everyone here is a delightful source of information, so I bring up two un-discussed topics.

What about a pendant or pin on the lapel of your jacket? A friend brought that up, but I wanted to see what the ladies thought.

Also, nails. What's business-looking for your nails?

Everyone here is a delightful source of information, so I bring up two un-discussed topics.

What about a pendant or pin on the lapel of your jacket? A friend brought that up, but I wanted to see what the ladies thought.

Also, nails. What's business-looking for your nails?

I'm not sure about pendants/pins, but I have heard for nails, you should either use neutral color nail polish or no nail polish at all. And they should be neat and trimmed (no fake nails or crazy long nails). Basically you don't want to draw any attention to your hands.

I think it could look quite nice, but I would either wear a lapel pin OR a necklace, not both.

Guidelines for the pin design would follow those of a necklace pendant: small (less than 1"), metal or precious stone material, and tasteful/classic in design.

The pin should be worn on your left lapel, so that you may wear both a name tag on your righthand side as well as the pin. If you consider the corner of the break (upper notch) of your lapel as part of a square rotated 45 degrees, the pin should be centered in this square.

I have heard for nails, you should either use neutral color nail polish or no nail polish at all. And they should be neat and trimmed (no fake nails or crazy long nails). Basically you don't want to draw any attention to your hands.

This is correct, although some sticklers will say that you should wear clear or no nail polish. I would opt for a neutral color only if your nails are stained from frequent polish wearing.

Added rational for the no long and no artificial nail rule comes from the nature of the profession you're applying to. Long nails and fake nails both can trap bacteria, no matter how clean you keep them. Acrylic nails especially are notorious for hosting bacteria underneath or in the pores of the acrylic coat. (Trust me, I feel your pain here, I loved my solar pink and whites :()

Guidelines for the pin design would follow those of a necklace pendant: small (less than 1"), metal or precious stone material, and tasteful/classic in design.

There's a woman I work with who wears a pewter triceratops pin with a steel-gray suit and I absolutely loooooove it. I am not a flashy person, but if I was ever to show some spunk, this would be how I'd do it. :D

Added rational for the no long and no artificial nail rule comes from the nature of the profession you're applying to. Long nails and fake nails both can trap bacteria, no matter how clean you keep them. Acrylic nails especially are notorious for hosting bacteria underneath or in the pores of the acrylic coat. (Trust me, I feel your pain here, I loved my solar pink and whites :()
For reference, our hospital policy is that nails MUST be natural and MUST be shorter than 1/4" from the nail bed to tip of the nail. Polish is only allowed in administrative areas.

That being said, is a French manicure too much? I got my first one for a wedding a few months ago and I felt so *pretty*. (**<- Princess Sparkles!) Are French manicures in the realm of business or party?

Also, why does Macy's seem to think that 29" is an appropriate inseam length? Grr!

Last edited:
That being said, is a French manicure too much? I got my first one for a wedding a few months ago and I felt so *pretty*. (**<- Princess Sparkles!) Are French manicures in the realm of business or party?

I feel like this would be OK:
french_manicure.jpg

But this would not:
manicure.jpg

They both fall under "french manicure" but it should be ONLY out of laquer and there should be absolutely nothing sticking over the ends of the fingers. I'll probably wear mine like the ones in the first image, or something neutral/pale/plain. (My nails are quite unfortunately stained from several years of keeping them covered so naked is just not an option!)

That being said, if you do choose to wear nail polish make sure you wear a brand like OPI or essie. To me, nothing says tacky teenager like a single coat of cheap polish.

Do we need to strictly stick with a full suit, or would a suitjacket worn over a dress be ok? I have a gray jacket and black dress that I've worn together to professional interviews before, but would that be too untraditional for a med school interview?

I also have the skirt that came with the jacket and a blouse I could wear with it if need be but 1) I like the way the dress looks better and 2) I'm interviewing in the south in August, and would prefer to wear something lighter if possible :)

Do we need to strictly stick with a full suit, or would a suitjacket worn over a dress be ok? I have a gray jacket and black dress that I've worn together to professional interviews before, but would that be too untraditional for a med school interview?

I also have the skirt that came with the jacket and a blouse I could wear with it if need be but 1) I like the way the dress looks better and 2) I'm interviewing in the south in August, and would prefer to wear something lighter if possible :)

It would really depend on the dress and jacket. Too hard to judge without pictures.

OH MY GOSH. This thread is exciting, I'm so glad you made a new one. I am a complete fashionphile, which makes me feel guilty sometimes because I tend to scoff at the fashion industry :p. I want to remain true to my style, which I hope isn't too bad a thing.

I am absolutely in love with these dresses:
Favorite
2nd Favorite
Yes they're ridiculously expensive, but they're timeless pieces and I could wear them for lots of things other than interviews. I just wonder if they're too form-fitting? I wear sheath dresses a lot, so my perception could also be off since I find these two dresses to be appropriately conservative. Obviously, I'd need to find a jacket to match with either which isn't as easy a task :(

Hosiery...I can understand why lots of women hate pantyhose, but I love it! There's something about thigh-highs and garters that makes me feel sexy, which translates to a healthy amount of confidence. Since I want that kind of positivity for my interview, I'm going to stick with it.

Jewelry...I'm definitely going to go with a traditional pearl necklace and studs. I probably won't wear any type of bracelet, but maybe just a nice watch.

Hair...My hair is only shoulder length so there is not much I can do with it. I will likely have it pulled up in a bun.

Makeup...Nothing out of the ordinary. Foundation, concealer, black eyeliner, dark lipstick. No mascara because my eyelashes are distracting as is. Maybe a dust of eyeshadow if I'm feeling adventurous.

Shoes...Almost as exciting as the clothes. I'm only 5'5" so I regularly wear power heels. I'm just going to wear black stiletto pumps. Rounded, closed-toe, platform. Either suede or plain leather. I always carry a pair of flats with me anyway, if my feet get tired.

Nails...Short gel tips, nude/light pink color.

OH MY GOSH. This thread is exciting, I'm so glad you made a new one. I am a complete fashionphile, which makes me feel guilty sometimes because I tend to scoff at the fashion industry :p. I want to remain true to my style, which I hope isn't too bad a thing.

Favorite
2nd Favorite
Yes they're ridiculously expensive, but they're timeless pieces and I could wear them for lots of things other than interviews. I just wonder if they're too form-fitting? I wear sheath dresses a lot, so my perception could also be off since I find these two dresses to be appropriately conservative. Obviously, I'd need to find a jacket to match with either which isn't as easy a task :(

That first dress is gorgeous! But wow... $2,000 for a dress :eek:... I was sweating when my suit + blouse ended up costing me $250.

I don't think they're too form-fitting, but I would be more concerned with the color of the first dress. The red screams sexy instead of professional. If it were gray or black and paired with a suit jacket, I think it would look great. And I'm not sure the second dress would work with a suit jacket because of cut of the neckline/sleeves.

A (stylish) guy's take on skirt v. pants, as discussed with a fellow member this afternoon.

If you have ugly legs/cankles : Wear Pants
If you have nice legs/fuller hips : Wear a Skirt
Exception: If you're really athletic, wear either, but pants can look really good.

This relates to the cut of the fabric and the lines presented.

Go forth and make a good impression.

Last edited:

Favorite
2nd Favorite

Hosiery...I can understand why lots of women hate pantyhose, but I love it! There's something about thigh-highs and garters that makes me feel sexy, which translates to a healthy amount of confidence. Since I want that kind of positivity for my interview, I'm going to stick with it.

Jewelry...I'm definitely going to go with a traditional pearl necklace and studs. I probably won't wear any type of bracelet, but maybe just a nice watch.

Hair...My hair is only shoulder length so there is not much I can do with it. I will likely have it pulled up in a bun.

Makeup...Nothing out of the ordinary. Foundation, concealer, black eyeliner, dark lipstick. No mascara because my eyelashes are distracting as is. Maybe a dust of eyeshadow if I'm feeling adventurous.

Shoes...Almost as exciting as the clothes. I'm only 5'5" so I regularly wear power heels. I'm just going to wear black stiletto pumps. Rounded, closed-toe, platform. Either suede or plain leather. I always carry a pair of flats with me anyway, if my feet get tired.

Nails...Short gel tips, nude/light pink color.
Those dresses are great, but holy cow their models are SKINNY :O

I don't think they're too form-fitting, but I would be more concerned with the color of the first dress. The red screams sexy instead of professional. If it were gray or black and paired with a suit jacket, I think it would look great. And I'm not sure the second dress would work with a suit jacket because of cut of the neckline/sleeves.

It's not a very vibrant red...it's a deep red, close to maroon (at least in the picture). And is it possible to balance sexy and professional? I really don't want to be limited to grays and blacks :(

It's not a very vibrant red...it's a deep red, close to maroon (at least in the picture). And is it possible to balance sexy and professional? I really don't want to be limited to grays and blacks :(

Well it's just my opinion. Maybe km17 will chime in :).

Answer this question: Do you want the AdComs talking about the impressive applicant they interviewed that day or the "girl in the red dress"? Buy accordingly.

I got a light silvery skirt at Ann Taylor with good black jacket. They aren't matching but I think they look good together. Will this be okay or should I stick with some gray pants I have? :confused:

I also got some cheap but comfy smoky blue pumps to replace the uncomfortable ones I had bought before. They are really more gray than blue, so I am hoping those will work.

A (stylish) guy's take on skirt v. pants, as discussed with a fellow member this afternoon.

If you have kankles/ugly legs/fat ankles etc. : Wear Pants
If you have cute ankles/nice legs/average/thick and nice ass : Wear a Skirt
If you are skinny and have a fantastic ass : You can do either, but Pants are better

Go forth and make a good impression.

A (possibly not so stylish) woman's take on your comments:
1) In a workplace, specifically, a hospital, those comments would be considered sexual harassment and generally are not and should not be tolerated.
2) The women posting on this thread or applying to medical school in general are not interested in showing off, for your viewing pleasure, their "thick and nice ass" or legs or whatever other body part you may have in mind, but rather, they are trying to make a good impression as a professional and competent human, not a hot chick with a fantastic ass. Furthermore, you are implying that looking good (or skinny, hot, etc...) somehow has to to do with getting accepted into medical school (for women, that is). I should hope that in 2011, that is no longer the case.
3) I am not sure what your future career plans, but if you want to go forth and make a good impression on interviewers, etc... try being more respectful towards women. I am not sure if you have noticed, but women make up almost half of all medical school classes and possibly also the physicians who will be teaching you throughout medical school.

Reactions: 3 users
1) In a workplace, specifically, a hospital, those comments would be considered sexual harassment and generally are not and should not be tolerated.
2) The women posting on this thread or applying to medical school in general are not interested in showing off, for your viewing pleasure, their "thick and nice ass" or legs or whatever other body part you may have in mind, but rather, they are trying to make a good impression as a professional and competent human, not a hot chick with a fantastic ass. Furthermore, you are implying that looking good (or skinny, hot, etc...) somehow has to to do with getting accepted into medical school (for women, that is). I should hope that in 2011, that is no longer the case.
3) I am not sure what your future career plans, but if you want to go forth and make a good impression on interviewers, etc... try being more respectful towards women. I am not sure if you have noticed, but women make up almost half of all medical school classes and possibly also the physicians who will be teaching you throughout medical school.

Haha - this criticism is spot on. The most important thing when choosing skirt/suit is what YOU feel most comfortable in. As long as your suit fits well and you feel comfortable in it, you will be confident at your interview. I don´t think kankles should affect your chances of admission :) Also, I love how the guy who made the sexist comments is going to Harvard Medical School. Guess he was good at hiding that aspect of his personality at the interview?

Moreover, I think a skirt does a MUCH better job of hiding flaws than suit pants do.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: This guy grosses me out.

Reactions: 1 users

THANK YOU. Isn't it ridiculous we still have to explain this to people?

I need a bra that lifts and separates. :oops:

You know there was a big discussion along on skirt v. pants in the last thread right? And it was men and women discussing the merits of either piece of clothing. I apologize if my indelicate terminology offended you. I was having this discussion with a woman who brought it up first and agreed with my take recently.

I'm not implying that medical school acceptances are about being physically attractive. I am implying that there are subconscious correlations between finding someone attractive and being more willing to give them a good review; ignoring that is naive. I am also saying explicitly that clothing is about presenting your physical assets in an appropriate and attractive manner --for men and women. Suits are cut different ways for skinny/average/fat men in order to make them look as muscular as possible. Trim fit suit pants often aim to present the lower section similar to women's clothing.

I don't think I have to worry about that.

You know there was a big discussion along on skirt v. pants in the last thread right? And it was men and women discussing the merits of either piece of clothing. I apologize if my indelicate terminology offended you. I was having this discussion with a woman who brought it up first and agreed with my take recently.

1. You're right, the same thing was in the last thread, which is linked in the OP, and there weren't even any pants vs. skirts posts right before you posted, so it seemed out of left field.

2. I agree skirts vs. pants look better on different figures, and obviously MOST people feel confident in things that actually fit them well (muffin tops hanging over pants with "Sexy" written across the butt notwithstanding). But you could have worded your post without sounding like a complete dog, Flow, which you absolutely did. It was gross.

3. Not kankles. Cankles. Like calf-ankles.

Haha - this criticism is spot on. The most important thing when choosing skirt/suit is what YOU feel most comfortable in. As long as your suit fits well and you feel comfortable in it, you will be confident at your interview. I don´t think kankles should affect your chances of admission :) Also, I love how the guy who made the sexist comments is going to Harvard Medical School. Guess he was good at hiding that aspect of his personality at the interview?

Sexism is a term related to discrimination based on gender. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism

PS. Don't make things about where people go to school. People are pretty much the same at all med schools and you shouldn't let one experience with a student taint your overall opinion of a place.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: This guy grosses me out.

Your three thumbs gross me out! Do you have like an extra half thumb on each hand, or is it a whole extra on another hand, or like on your foot or something? Weird. :p

1. You're right, the same thing was in the last thread, which is linked in the OP, and there weren't even any pants vs. skirts posts right before you posted, so it seemed out of left field.

2. I agree skirts vs. pants look better on different figures, and obviously MOST people feel confident in things that actually fit them well (muffin tops hanging over pants with "Sexy" written across the butt notwithstanding). But you could have worded your post without sounding like a complete dog, Flow, which you absolutely did. It was gross.

3. Not kankles. Cankles. Like calf-ankles.
1. Yeah I should have mentioned it was in the previous thread. It came up in conversation so it made sense to me lol.

2. I will heretofore refrain from using the word cute, fantastic, or ass in relation to womens' posteriors. I will still remark on well built and cute asses of men, however. :D OP edited for tact. (you're actually right, I was way off base in the way I worded the post)

3. It's not a real word anyway. I always associated it with the Kanker sisters from ed edd and eddy haha (which actually relates to Canker sores). Will spell it "correctly" now. :laugh:

http://ed.wikia.com/wiki/The_Kanker_Sisters

Also, if you're going to wear a suit jacket, I believe the same rules apply for men and women (that's the reason womens' business suits became popular in the early-90ish feminism and equality era anyway): removing it is seen as casual or unprofessional. If traditionally cut, should be buttoned while standing and unbuttoned while sitting. (There's way more variability in womens' clothing, so YMMV)

Last edited:
Speaking of jackets, the more well-endowed ladies will probably prefer 2 or 3 button jackets over just one. I thought the jackets with only one button were really unflattering on me.

And thank you for the edit, Flow, but I personally disagree. I think those that are more self conscious about their thighs and their butt (like myself) will find they look better in a skirt. I thought a pencil skirt would look awful on me (I'm short and I hate my thighs) but I found it much more flattering than I expected... definitely better than the pant suits I tried on, too.

Speaking of jackets, the more well-endowed ladies will probably prefer 2 or 3 button jackets over just one. I thought the jackets with only one button were really unflattering on me.

And thank you for the edit, Flow, but I personally disagree. I think those that are more self conscious about their thighs and their butt (like myself) will find they look better in a skirt. I thought a pencil skirt would look awful on me (I'm short and I hate my thighs) but I found it much more flattering than I expected... definitely better than the pant suits I tried on, too.

Yeah I think we (the gal and I who were discussing this, I'm leaving her name out of this) felt like it really revolved around the ankles. There has to be taper between the calves and ankles to get the proper line/curves with a skirt. Skirts definitely are nicer to women with fuller hips, I agree. This is because women's suit pants are typically straight cut from the width of the hips and can give too much weight to the lower half.

edits: words should be other words

Last edited: