Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried it on this weekend and was disappointed—the collar seemed to interact weirdly with the lapels of my suit and it just felt boxy and unflattering, as you say. I guess I just loved the idea of pink pinstripes with navy!
Moving on, will check out some of the blouses you linked to earlier. Thanks for all your help on this thread!
Collared shirts on women suffer from the lack of a tie to hold them between the lapels of the jacket. I recommend a shell.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I tried it on this weekend and was disappointed—the collar seemed to interact weirdly with the lapels of my suit and it just felt boxy and unflattering, as you say. I guess I just loved the idea of pink pinstripes with navy!
Moving on, will check out some of the blouses you linked to earlier. Thanks for all your help on this thread!
FYI: Ann Taylor is having 50% off blouses tonight on line.

Reactions: 1 user
Couple of questions:

1. What is the consensus on hair? I have pretty long hair and I was just thinking of straightening it and pulling it half back so its out of my eyes. Acceptable?
2. I have a large bag (posted a picture of it somewhere upthread) that I'm bringing but instead of having a portfolio inside I have a binder. Is this ok? It's still very small and fits inside fine.

Thank you wise ladies of SDN!

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be silly but why are people bringing portfolios or binders?

This might be silly but why are people bringing portfolios or binders?

I use my portfolio to write down info during the faculty presentations, or to jot down interviewer / student contact information. My bag holds my portfolio, pens, an umbrella, a small box (containing tissues, mints, Advil, and hand sanitizer), and flats for the tour.

Would a black sheath dress and a gray jacket work? It's going to be a million degrees on my interview day, and part of our tour is outside ):

Definitely not inappropriate! In fact I would recommend a purse over a portfolio. There's no reason to have a portfolio in the first place... they already have your application and resume so it's really just functioning as an accessory. A purse is far more useful and still looks professional.

A purse can be a hassle though :( Once, when I had an interview to be a medical assistant, I fumbled with the purse (I put it on the seat next to me and it fell) and I proceeded to trip over it. Oh lord, I will not be bringing a purse with me if I am lucky to get a future II.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the consensus on hair? I have pretty long hair and I was just thinking of straightening it and pulling it half back so its out of my eyes. Acceptable?
2. I have a large bag (posted a picture of it somewhere upthread) that I'm bringing but instead of having a portfolio inside I have a binder. Is this ok? It's still very small and fits inside fine.

Thank you wise ladies of SDN!

Long hair is fine as long as it is not unruly and hanging in your face.

What you carry inside your bag is your business. A portfolio, binder, or nothing at all is fine.

Any tips on where to get a nice suit for a TALL lady?
I'm 6'1" with a 36 inch inseam (size 10/12), so most "tall" or "long" pants don't work too great for me. In the past I've gotten separates (either skirts or pants), but it always seems like they don't quite match the jacket correctly.

If pants don't work, just get a skirt set, or a dress with matching blazer- that's what I did last year (I am also tall, and just prefer the look of a skirt). I got mine from Lord & Taylor.

"Be so good they can't ignore you" - Steve Jobs

Reactions: 1 users
I'm 6'1" with a 36 inch inseam (size 10/12), so most "tall" or "long" pants don't work too great for me. In the past I've gotten separates (either skirts or pants), but it always seems like they don't quite match the jacket correctly.
Ann Taylor's Tall trousers have a 36 inch inseam (according to their website).

So since it's established that an all-black outfit is do-able with a shell that renders it less funereal, are we still talking sober colors or white for the shell? I have a black, not-super-high-gloss sateen blazer bought off the rack which I'll be wearing with a black not-super-high-gloss sateen skirt I'm going to make -- I have moderately formidable tailoring skills and a lined, tailored skirt is the work of maybe an afternoon if I'm uninterrupted. I can whip out another shell in that afternoon if the ones I have (a vertical black and grey stripe in a rayon-containing weave and a white silk rather high-gloss satin) will not work but if I should make another, it would be good to know what others would find over the top, screaming red and neons aside of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
So since it's established that an all-black outfit is do-able with a shell that renders it less funereal, are we still talking sober colors or white for the shell? I have a black, not-super-high-gloss sateen blazer bought off the rack which I'll be wearing with a black not-super-high-gloss sateen skirt I'm going to make -- I have moderately formidable tailoring skills and a lined, tailored skirt is the work of maybe an afternoon if I'm uninterrupted. I can whip out another shell in that afternoon if the ones I have (a vertical black and grey stripe in a rayon-containing weave and a white silk rather high-gloss satin) will not work but if I should make another, it would be good to know what others would find over the top, screaming red and neons aside of course.
I think most people look good in some color.

So while there is nothing wrong with a white shell, its sort of boring and probably not the most flattering for most.

Small prints are fine. Bright color is fine (outside of the obnoxious neons) including jewel tones and red.

I would stay away from "wild" busy prints and the issues of cut (low, deep arm holes) that we've discussed before.

Its nice to have a couple of different blouses/shells that work with your suit to mix it up a bit.

If you wear the white shell, I would add a colored necklace or pocket square (if your suit has a breast pocket that opens), or perhaps some color/design interest with a belt buckle (if you're making belt loops on the skirt).

Thanks for the input. I prefer working with great fabrics in simple prints or solids so a quick stash dive will provide and at the end I'll have several nice new shells that will all work for interviewing. I've recently lost some weight and will hopefully continue to do so, so I need a bit of a wardrobe refresher, anyway.

I'm a really short woman with definitely present curves so I nearly never do a low neckline for office clothes, and I also tend toward European-fit armscyes/holes. The blazer doesn't have an opening breast pocket, but yes, I can pick up a good colored necklace that will look appropriate for a conservative professional setting if I opt for the white one day.

Thanks again.

Hullo fellow giraffe!

I'm roughly 6' and curvy. I ended up opting for J. Crew tall. Unfortunately, the big 3 suiting companies for tall ladies (J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic) often do not have their tall sizes in store, so depending on your local stores' selections you may need to take a leap of faith, order online, and mail back what doesn't work. From my experience, all the companies trousers were able of fitting my 35" inseam, with a bit to spare. I think you'll be just fine. :)

I found that the greatest variance was in torso and sleeve length. Ex: Ann Taylor's suits were too short in the torso for me and Banana's were too long in the sleeves. The length of your blazer will likely vary based on how much fabric your bust takes up, so I had to order a few sizes larger in my blazer and then tailor the rest.

Long time lurker on this thread - everyone's advice is so helpful for this not-so-stylistically-inclined lady.

I have another shoes question. It seems like pumps are the most common choice, but I'm not a huge fan. What do you think of these? They are both extraordinarily comfortable. I'd be wearing them with a black pinstriped skirt suit set.

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/umberto-raffini-nora-black/29326
http://moreshoes4u.com/womens-shoes...omens-black-leather-slip-on-heeled-clogs.html
I'm afraid I cannot approve either of those.

Besides being impossibly dowdy (esp with a skirt) they are simply not formal enough. Both of those are casual shoes and not appropriate for a medical school interview, IMHO.

Long time lurker on this thread - everyone's advice is so helpful for this not-so-stylistically-inclined lady.

I have another shoes question. It seems like pumps are the most common choice, but I'm not a huge fan. What do you think of these? They are both extraordinarily comfortable. I'd be wearing them with a black pinstriped skirt suit set.

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/umberto-raffini-nora-black/29326
http://moreshoes4u.com/womens-shoes...omens-black-leather-slip-on-heeled-clogs.html
Awful. Just awful.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! Help, please?! So for my interviews I plan to wear a pretty simple navy suit with a white/beige blouse underneath. The issue is that the blouse does not have sleeves and I have a tattoo on my arm (nothing too scandalous or wordy, just a geometric band on my upper arm). Obviously the jacket stays on during all official interview time, but I was wondering what the protocol was for the time that is "off the clock", such as lunch, tours, or Q&A, when I would perhaps want to remove my jacket. I get absurdly sweaty and don't want to have to wear a button down shirt, also because my girls are a bit large and usually make those types of shirts pucker.

TL;DR: Is it that big of a deal if I'm walking around the hospital with my tattoo showing after the official interview is over?

Hello! Help, please?! So for my interviews I plan to wear a pretty simple navy suit with a white/beige blouse underneath. The issue is that the blouse does not have sleeves and I have a tattoo on my arm (nothing too scandalous or wordy, just a geometric band on my upper arm). Obviously the jacket stays on during all official interview time, but I was wondering what the protocol was for the time that is "off the clock", such as lunch, tours, or Q&A, when I would perhaps want to remove my jacket. I get absurdly sweaty and don't want to have to wear a button down shirt, also because my girls are a bit large and usually make those types of shirts pucker.

TL;DR: Is it that big of a deal if I'm walking around the hospital with my tattoo showing after the official interview is over?

I'm not sure what the official stance is on taking off jackets (I'm tempted to say it's don't), in the past few interviews I've been to, the only time people took off jackets was for an outdoor tour on a 98 degree day. Jackets stayed on for all other tours, lunches, etc. While other schools/ interview days may be different, I'd go in planning not to take it off at all.

You should consider the entire day part of the interview. There is no "off the clock time".

This is commonly where applicants make mistakes, assuming that the students they are interacting with or the tour guide are not reporting back to faculty when someone does something inappropriate.

Therefore I do not advise taking your jacket off if you have a visible tattoo. There are plenty of blouses with sleeves without button up-fronts which could cover it or you can simply leave your jacket on.

In terms of changing shoes for tours (I will be wearing heels during the interview day) should we still stick with a professional looking flat or is it ok to put on something comfortable like a pair of Toms? I assume that's not ok but I just wanted to double check.

It needs to be a matched set. Therefore your jacket should match your dress.

Yeah. This isn't the time to do color block or such. It looks great, but isn't interview appropriate.

Hullo fellow giraffe!

I'm roughly 6' and curvy. I ended up opting for J. Crew tall. Unfortunately, the big 3 suiting companies for tall ladies (J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic) often do not have their tall sizes in store, so depending on your local stores' selections you may need to take a leap of faith, order online, and mail back what doesn't work. From my experience, all the companies trousers were able of fitting my 35" inseam, with a bit to spare. I think you'll be just fine. :)

I found that the greatest variance was in torso and sleeve length. Ex: Ann Taylor's suits were too short in the torso for me and Banana's were too long in the sleeves. The length of your blazer will likely vary based on how much fabric your bust takes up, so I had to order a few sizes larger in my blazer and then tailor the rest.

Don't forget that you can get some of this stuff tailored pretty easily. Having sleeves taken in is not expensive at all (runs about 20-25 bucks at most places) and if everything else is great, then those kinds of alterations are easy.

@ridethecliche 's comment just reminded me of something I thought I might share here. I mentioned that I'm a pretty good tailor but there are still alterations that I don't do for myself, or at least don't do without outside help. When it comes to things like altering hems or sleeves on jackets, then even if you also sew either have (experienced) help for marking and be willing to take your chances or take it to an alterations shop.

Give them as much time as you can. In my overall rural area I had a complex shoulder altered on a fully lined dress and it took two weeks. In a busier area that alteration might take longer, depending on the alterations that you need but a simple one, like changing a hemline, should not take quite so long. Call around and ask for rough estimates on what you need done (note two things: these are estimates, and more/less time doesn't necessarily equal quality).

Plenty of alterations shops are in hole-in-the-wall places that seem a bit down at the heels, but they should never be filthy or smell moldy or look like you might pick up something you just learned about in micro. If you find such a place, just nod politely and leave to find another spot. Ask at dry cleaners or nicer department stores' men's and women's clothing departments, which often have alterations contacts and/or contracts with local alterations shop. Try to avoid having it done at a dry cleaners if you can, though, because I have found they tack on a few extra dollars (I have nearly no experience with this on the department store side of this but even my local Sears "knows somebody"). Just see if you can't go straight to their source.

Plan on changing into the item to be altered there at the store - most alterations spots have a changing room or reasonable bathroom. Try to wear foundation/under layers that are or are similar to what you'll be wearing with the item. For hemline changes, wear shoes the same height. Need sleeve length changed? Well, if you're going to add or wear a shoulder pad with the jacket have that as well and try to wear a bra that gives a similar silhouette. This isn't the time to wear an exercise bra. The alterations person will mark things with pins, then ask you to change back out of it. When you hand the item over, you should get a rough date of completion and a ticket so that you can claim the item back when it's time. If you haven't gotten a call already, call the day your item should be done to see if it's ready; you may find that the alterations person needs a bit of extra time so be flexible. When it's time to pick it up, get your item and try it on there - again, bring or wear the proper shoes or layers. The alterations person should check to see if the changes are to your liking and everything hangs properly. If you still need changes (for simple changes I never have) talk to them about it. New changes not related to the alteration just done call for new charges, so keep that in mind, but changes to the alteration just made, especially if it's something simple like a hem on a pencil skirt, should not unless you've changed your mind about where you want the hem to hit. If so, that will be a new charge.

After you leave, keep the person's card or at least their shop in your head. If you had a good experience, tell your fellow students to go there. This is the beginnings of the small business networking you will need to be able to do as you progress in your career anyway, and a really easy way to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In terms of changing shoes for tours (I will be wearing heels during the interview day) should we still stick with a professional looking flat or is it ok to put on something comfortable like a pair of Toms? I assume that's not ok but I just wanted to double check.

It's quite possible that on the tour, you'll run into someone on the AdCom. Bear that in mind, and don't be memorable for the wrong reasons.

And if you're comfortable in heels, you absolutely don't need to change into flats for the tour.

You should choose the smallest purse possible. While I like the one you linked to above, it is more fashion than professional.

Thanks for your feedback. What about this one, in black? http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-sp...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_8_A

As for a look, is peplum okay, or too feminine in a professional setting? I really love the look, it's so flattering: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen..._sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_17_C

Sorry for asking several questions... I fall under the "I don't have any female figures in my life who know professional attire" category.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. What about this one, in black? http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-sp...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_8_A

As for a look, is peplum okay, or too feminine in a professional setting? I really love the look, it's so flattering: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen..._sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_17_C

Sorry for asking several questions... I fall under the "I don't have any female figures in my life who know professional attire" category.
That bag is better although pls do not spend $400 unless you will really use the bag all the time.

Peplums are generally frowned upon but IMHO that ones pretty subtle so it might work; the fabric looks a little "couch like" though LOL.

Just thought I would pass along some things I noticed during a recent interview:
1. There was a pretty equal mix of pants vs skirts for suits.
2. Most suits the women wore were black suits. Although a couple of people had lighter gray suits.
3. Most women carried a portfolio and maybe a small purse.
4. Almost all were wearing flats or small heels (more comfortable for walking).
5. Most wore pantyhose, but not all.
6. Many of us had our hair down, but there were a few in clean simple pony tails.
The bottom line was that we all looked professional, but in retrospect I worried too much about the exact purse, portfolio, shoe, etc to wear. As long as you look and act professional, you should be fine.

That bag is better although pls do not spend $400 unless you will really use the bag all the time.

Peplums are generally frowned upon but IMHO that ones pretty subtle so it might work; the fabric looks a little "couch like" though LOL.
Isn't that bag really casual? It seems like something you'd wear to go shopping. Or am I overthinking things on the bag front haha

Isn't that bag really casual? It seems like something you'd wear to go shopping. Or am I overthinking things on the bag front haha
Yeah it is... I'm really lost with bag and/or portfolio selection. It's proving to be the most difficult part of this for me. Will hunt some more.

Yeah it is... I'm really lost with bag and/or portfolio selection. It's proving to be the most difficult part of this for me. Will hunt some more.

My personal opinion is that bags that are really structured look the most professional, so maybe look for those.

How is this bag?

http://www.polyvore.com/zara_mini_leather_city_bag/thing?id=96929608

I know minimal hardware is best, but I am wearing a very conservative outfit otherwise (black suit, modest black heels, blouse, etc). I really don't want to have to buy another bag. I hate purses.

That bag is kind of busy for this purpose. I wouldn't say it crosses the line into 'memorably bad', but do you have any other options? If you hate purses, don't spend a lot, but look for a simple pre-owned bag on eBay - Coach or Kate Spade. Or a 'business tote' on Amazon. You can find something attractive and suitable for $50.

I'd call it borderline... In the plain photos, it appeared more structured, but with the model, it did look very casual. I'd want to see it in person to see if it's more 'slouchy'or 'shaped'. Could be that a piece of cardboard or plastic report cover inside on interview day provides just enough 'foundation structure' to keep the bag's shape looking dignified.

I saw these shoes and fell in love :love:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/nine west amell pump?prodId=281009&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006,cat20010

Thoughts on them with a grey pantsuit?

They're fine. If you love them, go for it.

The bottom line was that we all looked professional, but in retrospect I worried too much about the exact purse, portfolio, shoe, etc to wear. As long as you look and act professional, you should be fine.

I think this bears repeating.

*Some* of you need real help. * Some* of you are over thinking things. Most of you will be fine.

So while we have critiqued some of your outfits, it's only because we've been asked our opinion, not because the outfit/element was the deciding factor in admission. OTOH, while it's nice to know what others are wearing please don't use that to mean that's what's right.

Suit: matched, no mismatched jackets and skirt/pants/dress. Black is generally considered inappropriate for a business interview but 95% will be wearing it. It's nice to see something different but that doesn't mean red, purple or other bright colors or tan or white. Your choices are charcoal, navy or lighter grey (in warmer months and climes). Pants or skirts are fine. Keep your jacket on.

Skirt length is at your knee or longer WHEN SEATED.

The rules for suits are the same as for men.

Blouse: no wild prints. White is boring and not the most flattering. It is definitely ok to choose color here. Sleeves are best.

Pantyhose: yes; nude or very sheer black. No tights or patterned hose.

Shoes: 2-3 inch heels. Others will be wearing flats. This is not considered professional. No open toes, sling backs, platforms or stilettos. No athletic shoes or boots. They must be darker than your suit and in black, cordovan (if wearing navy).

Purse: small, structured and matching your shoes. Only bring if you need one. Leather or simulated leather.

Portfolio: if you prefer. Bringing one and a large purse looks high maintenance. It should match your shoes.

Earrings: small studs or tiny hoops. No more than 1 per ear and in the lobe (not cartilage).

Watch: if you like; small face.

Other jewelry: a wedding ring or necklace is fine. No jangly bracelets. No political or statement pins on your suit. Remove all facial piercings except 1 earring per ear.

Hair: straight or curly is fine. Keep it tamed and off your face.

Makeup: yes; looks more professional than a bare face.

Reactions: 8 users
Could someone also clarify when suit jackets should be buttoned/ unbuttoned? I was under the impression of buttoned when standing and open when sitting, but I feel like a fool buttoning and unbuttoning all the time. Also, this may be obvious, but the "bottom button unbottoned" rule for med does not apply to women, is that correct? Or does it? Does it still apply to jackets with two buttons?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1410971229.197534.jpg

Is this bag interview appropriate? It's structured which I like, but what about the bow?

Could someone also clarify when suit jackets should be buttoned/ unbuttoned? I was under the impression of buttoned when standing and open when sitting, but I feel like a fool buttoning and unbuttoning all the time. Also, this may be obvious, but the "bottom button unbottoned" rule for med does not apply to women, is that correct? Or does it? Does it still apply to jackets with two buttons?
The rules are the same as for men.

Top button only buttoned when standing. Unbuttoned when sitting.

So...what we're saying here is that it would be inappropriate to wear a suit where the jacket and pants are a different color, even if they match? For example:

This jacket - http://www.thelimited.com/product/h...er&prefv1=regular&dwvar_2216341_colorCode=175

Would be inappropriate with black or charcoal grey pants?

The reason I ask is because (as a reapplicant) one of the things I remember from interviews last year is how the faculty commented on the fact that we all looked like we were "attending a funeral" in our dark suits. I want to wear something that will look professional but isn't going to be boring.

Thoughts?

So...what we're saying here is that it would be inappropriate to wear a suit where the jacket and pants are a different color, even if they match? For example:

This jacket - http://www.thelimited.com/product/h...er&prefv1=regular&dwvar_2216341_colorCode=175

Would be inappropriate with black or charcoal grey pants?

The reason I ask is because (as a reapplicant) one of the things I remember from interviews last year is how the faculty commented on the fact that we all looked like we were "attending a funeral" in our dark suits. I want to wear something that will look professional but isn't going to be boring.

Thoughts?
Technically yes, you would be less formal in such an outfit (not to say that you wouldn't look nice).

A woman wearing mismatched pieces (even if they coordinate) is the same as a man wearing a sports jacket and non-matching pants. We would never recommend the latter and while women have more leeway with color, IMHO, a woman wearing a mismatched suit is dressed inappropriately for a medical school interview.

A "matching" suit is the same color and the same fabric. What you are describing is something "coordinated".

You can standout by wearing a charcoal or navy suit, wearing a brightly colored blouse rather than the black suit, white button up shirt and pearl stud earrings that 99.9% of your colleagues will be wearing.

Thanks so much for your response! I'm not sure I agree that a woman wearing a coordinating suit is the same as a man wearing a sports jacket and non-matching pants (for example, there are women's suits that are designed to have a patterned jacket with solid pants and they are sold as a matched set), but I very much appreciate your input! I'd be curious to know your thoughts on there being a standard all schools expect or if you think that some schools may appreciate a different look more than others.