Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be another silly question, but is it better to wear long sleeve blouses buttoned up (around the elbow) or all the way rolled down? It'll be under a jacket for the actual interview, but I was wondering what is better for the rest of the interview day?

Sleeves rolled up is a casual look, so I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. (And if you know it's likely to be that warm, consider something short sleeved.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I shall check eBay! Haven't thought of that, I only looked at amazon.

I can't do without my portfolio. I redesigned it into an art display book. It actually has all my artwork and science-related art stuff and at both of my interviews it's been really helpful in making the interviewers see another side of this labrat who went through school too quickly :p i.e. it shows the interviewers I have hobbies and how these hobbies relate to medical education and learning with my classmates, graphic design stuff cartoons and artwork

Cool! Yes, then definitely keep the portfolio. How much 'stuff' do you really need to carry that couldn't sit in your car/luggage? Cash, car key, cell phone. Pocket stuff maybe?

But definitely check ebay. There's some really high quality stuff on there for not very much money...

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of good advice from @DokterMom here. To echo her:

1) white button front shirt, black suit: boring. Not inherently wrong, its just not the most flattering combination. Women can get away with color more so than men, so get a nice colored blouse.

2) wedges too casual; definitely better with a pants suit but I would err on the side of a kitten heel over a wedge

3) bags too bright and no prints allowed; if you absolutely must carry your portfolio (and it sounds like @researchismymiddlename is very talented so definitely want to take hers) and a purse, make them match and as small as possible

4) sleeves rolled up w/without a tab button is casual; when jacket is off, sleeves down, when jacket is on, whatever you wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wear a brighter shell; that brown is depressing.

You might be able to remove the zipper ends but I don't think its necessary.

Thank you so much for the advice. I decided to play it on the safe side and go with the more traditional black CK suit. The buttons are a little different but I hope it'll be okay.

You don't want to look like you fell asleep face down in a box full of fishing tackle.

You're absolutely right @gyngyn, and thanks again for your advice. I think more than anything I am surprised that interviewers even notice this kind of thing, but maybe I have a skewed sense how noticeable these piercings are -- I've had them for so long I often forget they're even there, and compared to the piercings many of my friends have they're quite tame.

Lots of good advice from @DokterMom here. To echo her:

1) white button front shirt, black suit: boring. Not inherently wrong, its just not the most flattering combination. Women can get away with color more so than men, so get a nice colored blouse.

2) wedges too casual; definitely better with a pants suit but I would err on the side of a kitten heel over a wedge

3) bags too bright and no prints allowed; if you absolutely must carry your portfolio (and it sounds like

@researchismymiddlename
is very talented so definitely want to take hers) and a purse, make them match and as small as possible

4) sleeves rolled up w/without a tab button is casual; when jacket is off, sleeves down, when jacket is on, whatever you wish.

Well thank you! I shall keep this advice in mind.

Cool! Yes, then definitely keep the portfolio. How much 'stuff' do you really need to carry that couldn't sit in your car/luggage? Cash, car key, cell phone. Pocket stuff maybe?

But definitely check ebay. There's some really high quality stuff on there for not very much money...

I usually keep very little in my purse, i.e. nailcutter (handy lol), small wallet, toothbrush, mints, notebook and pen, cell phone and lip stain. I'm used to traveling small since I usually take small little bags :D I will check out eBay for sure!!

This thread is so helpful and you two really bring it to life for us naïve interviewees :happy:

Is a snakeskin purse a little too edgy for interviews? I don't own this dream Chanel below, but I have a similar, poor college student version :) thank you!!

13_%20(2).jpg

Is a snakeskin purse a little too edgy for interviews? I don't own this dream Chanel below, but I have a similar, poor college student version :) thank you!!

Couldn't really say without seeing the bag in question... I've seen some that would be appropriate, but probably many more that would not be. Plain black, minimal 'hardware', tailored shape? Could work. Python or rattlesnake pattern, purple, full of gathers and rhinestones? No.

I don't think it's the snakeskin that would make it inappropriate but rather the chains, they make it too casual/"edgy".

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! I have a question about hair, so I hope it's relevant for this thread.

I'm black with short-ish natural hair, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it for my interview next week. It's too short to put into a bun even if I blow dry it, but too long to leave it out (for reference, the first picture is usually how I have my hair. Not me btw!).

Would this style in the second picture be appropriate for an interview? I've done it before many times and I've always liked how it comes out. What do you think?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hey everyone! I have a question about hair, so I hope it's relevant for this thread.

I'm black with short-ish natural hair, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it for my interview next week. It's too short to put into a bun even if I blow dry it, but too long to leave it out (for reference, the first picture is usually how I have my hair. Not me btw!).

Would this style in the second picture be appropriate for an interview? I've done it before many times and I've always liked how it comes out. What do you think?View attachment 185900View attachment 185901

Fabulous - utterly perfect.
FYI, I like the first style for every day also.

Reactions: 5 users

Would this style in the second picture be appropriate for an interview? I've done it before many times and I've always liked how it comes out. What do you think?View attachment 185900View attachment 185901
Yes, they're actually both fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has been probably mentioned, but like my other posts, I just want to clarify:

Bare nails are better than painted nails, correct? What about nude nail polish? Or is it better just to swipe on some clear polish? My nails are very short so I can't do a french tip or anything.

I know this has been probably mentioned, but like my other posts, I just want to clarify:

Bare nails are better than painted nails, correct? What about nude nail polish? Or is it better just to swipe on some clear polish? My nails are very short so I can't do a french tip or anything.

I think painted nails are fine if they are well done, aka professional color, not chipped, not bumpy, not on your fingers. This is somewhat prohibitively expensive for me since I'm not great at doing it myself, so I've been keeping mine short and formed (and clean!) with a coat of clear to make it look finished and nice. I would guess that poorly painted nails or chipped would be worse than clear or nothing at all. The goal is to look put together and professional.

Bare nails are not necessarily better than painted nails. If you choose the latter, as above it must be done well. The only acceptable colors would be a very pale pink or beige, something you might consider a bride wearing. Clear polish is fine or you might just consider using one of those buffers and just making sure they're clean and shiny. The idea is to look professional but not high maintenance.

Reactions: 2 users
I wore a grey/steel blue polish to my interview last week that matched my navy dress. I think it worked, I felt comfortable and I'll be doing it again tomorrow for another

I wore a grey/steel blue polish to my interview last week that matched my navy dress. I think it worked, I felt comfortable and I'll be doing it again tomorrow for another

Noooooo! :eek:

Your fingernails should not be blue, no matter how pretty or 'matching' the color.

Noooooo! :eek:

Your fingernails should not be blue, no matter how pretty or 'matching' the color.
Not really blue. Gray, which picks up blue undertones. NOT having blue fingers is actually why I keep my nails painted... Anytime between September and May my hands are so cold that my fingers are perpetually blue/purple

Don't do this. Do you want to be described as the one with "those nails?"

*shrug* it's been approved by my family members (who are both on adcoms for various professional/graduate schools) as well as my premed advisor. The general internet wisdom (from advising offices at schools like wustl) seems to be neutral and may, both of which fit. Pink would look bad because the undertones are from the incorrect color family for both my skin tone and suit. I'll take the objections here under advisement though

*shrug* it's been approved by my family members (who are both on adcoms for various professional/graduate schools) as well as my premed advisor. The general internet wisdom (from advising offices at schools like wustl) seems to be neutral and may, both of which fit. Pink would look bad because the undertones are from the incorrect color family for both my skin tone and suit. I'll take the objections here under advisement though

Grey / blue isn't "neutral" in nail polish.

Don't do this. Do you want to be described as the one with "those nails?"

Apparently so. :bang:
Well, we tried.

Grey / blue isn't "neutral" in nail polish.

Apparently so. :bang:
Well, we tried.
Wow, sorry if I offended you, I just like to verify thing with people I know IRL instead of solely taking internet people's word for it. I consulted with some more close friends, and eventually decided against it. I appreciate you both bringing this issue up: I had always assumed gray was neutral.

is this shirt too busy ?
the picture quality is bad but its a dark navy suit with the pictured inner shirt. I didn't want to be boring so i tried to spice it upo_O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 5.15.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 5.15.39 PM.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 202
is this shirt too busy ?
the picture quality is bad but its a dark navy suit with the pictured inner shirt. I didn't want to be boring so i tried to spice it upo_O

It's a beautiful top, I personally would love it for a nice brunch or professional night gathering, but I'm not sure for interviews! Curious to hear what the folks here say!

I like it, although it does seem a bit busier than what I've seen girls warning. Maybe with super conservative everything else?

Agreeing with the other two --
Nice, but not for your interview. Interviews have their own very special rules --

Wow, sorry if I offended you, I just like to verify thing with people I know IRL instead of solely taking internet people's word for it. I consulted with some more close friends, and eventually decided against it. I appreciate you both bringing this issue up: I had always assumed gray was neutral.
I don't think anyone was offended, but perhaps rather surprised that someone would come onto an advice thread and then proceed to argue with the advice offered. Then again it's not like that doesn't happen daily in other threads..

I agree with the others about the inappropriateness of the color. My take on it is that your family and friends are not unbiased observers and well, if premed advisors didn't suck as widely as they do (remembering that the vast majority of them have never been to medical school), then SDN would have never been created.

Finally while gray is considered a neutral in clothing and eyeshadow, that is not the case for nails. I could frankly support a red before the gray and this is coming from a woman sporting blue toenails with green glitter tips.

Last edited:
is this shirt too busy ?
Just chiming in here to say that it's a cute top and you would be perfectly appropriately dressed in my office to see patients in that. But it's a little too abstract and therefore distracting for a medical school interview. If you're choosing a print I would choose something smaller or stick with stripes or pin dots.

hey! i have an interview coming up at the end of october and i was wondering what you guys think about this purse?

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Kors-...=1412384114&sr=1-3&keywords=michael+kors+tote

I know its a tote, but i was looking at it in the store and i dont feel like its that big, plus i could use it after the interview.
Also i have read a lot on this thread about wearing hair in a ponytail/or up. Is it okay to wear it down, and put the middle up in a little clip? I am concerned because my ears kinda stick out (dumbo), but i almost always have my hair down so i feel more confident. I dont think i lack confidence with it up, i just think i look prettier with it down. Also could you recommend some brands to look out for? I am 5'3" and skinny, i was trying some suits on at macys for fun the other day and they all seemed to be size 4+ and they were soo big. I went to NY and company and found some size 0's that i think fit much better, but are there any specific brands at macys that carry a size 0? or stores?

thanks for the help!

hey! i have an interview coming up at the end of october and i was wondering what you guys think about this purse?

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Kors-Womens-Handbag-30F2GTTT8L/dp/B007X8LAV0/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1412384114&sr=1-3&keywords=michael kors tote

I know its a tote, but i was looking at it in the store and i dont feel like its that big, plus i could use it after the interview.
Also i have read a lot on this thread about wearing hair in a ponytail/or up. Is it okay to wear it down, and put the middle up in a little clip? I am concerned because my ears kinda stick out (dumbo), but i almost always have my hair down so i feel more confident. I dont think i lack confidence with it up, i just think i look prettier with it down. Also could you recommend some brands to look out for? I am 5'3" and skinny, i was trying some suits on at macys for fun the other day and they all seemed to be size 4+ and they were soo big. I went to NY and company and found some size 0's that i think fit much better, but are there any specific brands at macys that carry a size 0? or stores?

thanks for the help!
Yeah, I don't think it's "tote" sized in person, should be fine!

I wore a black skirt suit/white shirt (that's not my pic!) to my first interview which seems fine (albeit boring) but I carried this bag with copies of my application, a pen and a small notebook. The bag could fit a small laptop, and I have carried it to many job interviews. What do you guys think? I will buy a new purse if it's important!

For collared shirts, I only have shirts that button all the way up. My husband says that I should do all of the buttons up. Would it be okay to leave the top one or two unbuttoned like this?

Also... just how bad is it to be boring with the white shirt/black suit combination? I only have well-fitting white shirts. Both of my upcoming interviewers will be men, if that is relevant!

@Digitalangel At my interview, I wore a ponytail but most of the women wore their hair down.
Unbuttoned. Too much like a pachuco buttoned up!
Boring is better than weird. If you are comfortable, it's fine.
You don't really need a bag...Black is better than brown, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where should the shirt sleeves under our suits hit? Should your not be able to see the sleeves at or, or is just a sliver of it ok?

Where should the shirt sleeves under our suits hit? Should your not be able to see the sleeves at or, or is just a sliver of it ok?

I would like to know this too! A peek of jewel emerald from under my black suit would be nice but I don't know if it looks unconventional.

Would this gray tweed suit be better with these oxfords (which I already own): https://thehunt.insnw.net/app/publi..._preview/fe232e219cfdc200d24f4232b6089ab1.jpg or with more standard pumps (which I'd need to buy)?

Standard pumps, definitely. Your oxfords are cute, but more casual and/or quirky.

A sliver of sleeve is perfect. This seems to be less of a 'big deal' for women than men though. None would be fine, but too much - more than 1" - would make it look like your shirt is too big.

I would like to know this too! A peek of jewel emerald from under my black suit would be nice but I don't know if it looks unconventional.

Sounds nice!

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Kors-Womens-Handbag-30F2GTTT8L/dp/B007X8LAV0/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1412384114&sr=1-3&keywords=michael kors tote

thanks for the help!
at my interview a lot of the other women wore their hair half up or in a low ponytail. I have fairly long hair and I wore it down, but I think as long as you aren't constantly messing with your hair during the interview it doesn't matter.

My n=1 about handbags:

Some far at my interviews, I've worn a medium size MK tote and ended up leaving it in the "home base" room during the duration of my interviews. So even though I love carrying it, I really only accessed it at the beginning and end.

If you decide to bring a tote, just be aware that you probably won't access it much so don't feel the need to pack it full of supplies

Agree with DokterMom; its a nice touch (but not mandatory).

Would this gray tweed suit be better with these oxfords (which I already own): https://thehunt.insnw.net/app/publi..._preview/fe232e219cfdc200d24f4232b6089ab1.jpg or with more standard pumps (which I'd need to buy)?
I agree that those shoes are completely inappropriate. I"m not sure about the tweed suit either, but didn't see the link to it.

I wore a black skirt suit/white shirt (that's not my pic!) to my first interview which seems fine (albeit boring) but I carried this bag with copies of my application, a pen and a small notebook. The bag could fit a small laptop, and I have carried it to many job interviews. What do you guys think? I will buy a new purse if it's important!

IMHO its too big and doesn't match or coordinate.

For collared shirts, I only have shirts that button all the way up. My husband says that I should do all of the buttons up. Would it be okay to leave the top one or two unbuttoned like this?

LOL…no. What is your husband thinking (and what is he nervous about - someone possibly seeing some of your neck skin)? Buttoned all the way up on women looks upright, prim and school marmish.

Also... just how bad is it to be boring with the white shirt/black suit combination? I only have well-fitting white shirts. Both of my upcoming interviewers will be men, if that is relevant!

Your interviewers being male is not relevant. Its better to be boring than going broke buying something else or being uncomfortable, but most people look better in some color and women are allowed more leeway in this realm.

@Digitalangel At my interview, I wore a ponytail but most of the women wore their hair down.
Its fine, as long as your hair is off your face.

Reactions: 4 users
Do not wear those shoes to a medical school interview!
Pumps, please.
Thanks, all! Will definitely be investing in some pumps.

Oh, and this is the suit for whoever didn't see the photo: http://www.anntaylor.com/tweed-one-button-jacket/341891. I don't think it's particularly tweed-y – wore it to a meeting at a really stuffy hedge fund and felt appropriately dressed, so I think it should be fine for interviews.

Last edited:

My premed adviser told male students they can wear a blazer and khakis to an interview.

YMMV.

Thanks, all! Will definitely be investing in some pumps.

Oh, and this is the suit for whoever didn't see the photo: http://www.anntaylor.com/tweed-one-button-jacket/341891. I don't think it's particularly tweed-y – wore it to a meeting at a really stuffy hedge fund and felt appropriately dressed, so I think it should be fine for interviews.

Ah…that suit. Its fine IMHO.

I disagree with that actually. That suit and the donegal-esque tweed is relatively informal. Additionally, that jacket will run pretty damn hot so I'd worry about sweating like a pig in an interview. You shouldn't take your jacket off, so I'd probably pick something that's lighter wool instead of tweed. Have you ever worn a tweed jacket? I wear one in the winter as a sportcoat/jacket down till the 40's.

The conventional wisdom is white blouse/top for women, I know, but I, too am a fan of jewel tones. What I'm told is that I would be memorable "for the wrong reasons" if my blouse colors tend toward brilliance, even with the traditional black suit. Sigh. Where is Tim Gunn? Is he not on this forum?