Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think navy or charcoal grey is more traditional than a black suit as far as formal colors go. I think women have a bit more leeway for color in shirts than men do, but it's best to stay away from highlighter or satin-esque colors.

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with that actually. That suit and the donegal-esque tweed is relatively informal. Additionally, that jacket will run pretty damn hot so I'd worry about sweating like a pig in an interview. You shouldn't take your jacket off, so I'd probably pick something that's lighter wool instead of tweed. Have you ever worn a tweed jacket? I wear one in the winter as a sportcoat/jacket down till the 40's.
I think you misunderstand. I agree that real tweed especially light colored ones can be hot and uncomfortable.

I have that exact suit. It's not hot because it's not tweed; it's a poly/rayon black suit with pale gray flecks. It looks nice in person and although I would generally recommend a solid suit this one is, IRL, unobtrusive enough and looks nice, that there seemed to be no reason no to OK it since it was her only choice.

Reactions: 1 user
The conventional wisdom is white blouse/top for women, I know, but I, too am a fan of jewel tones. What I'm told is that I would be memorable "for the wrong reasons" if my blouse colors tend toward brilliance, even with the traditional black suit. Sigh. Where is Tim Gunn? Is he not on this forum?
I'm not sure who's telling you that but it's BS.

While neon is out, there is nothing wrong or inappropriate with jewel tones. As long as everything else is cut and styled appropriately, you will not be remembered for "the wrong reasons".

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The conventional wisdom is white blouse/top for women, I know, but I, too am a fan of jewel tones. What I'm told is that I would be memorable "for the wrong reasons" if my blouse colors tend toward brilliance, even with the traditional black suit. Sigh. Where is Tim Gunn? Is he not on this forum?

I think navy or charcoal grey is more traditional than a black suit as far as formal colors go. I think women have a bit more leeway for color in shirts than men do, but it's best to stay away from highlighter or satin-esque colors.

I've been told that magenta is considered a 'neutral' color for Indian women, so maybe someone was being overly cautious?... White is certainly fine, but more color for a woman's blouse (providing it's not screaming bright, sheer, shiny or highly patterned) is perfectly acceptable. A silk blouse in a jewel tone? Not problem. Cotton in a subdued pastel? Fine. There are many good options. Just check that the fabric looks to be of good quality, check that the neckline plays well with your jacket, make sure the buttons don't pull across your bust, and that you're not showing any undergarments anywhere.

I've been told that magenta is considered a 'neutral' color for Indian women, so maybe someone was being overly cautious?... White is certainly fine, but more color for a woman's blouse (providing it's not screaming bright, sheer, shiny or highly patterned) is perfectly acceptable. A silk blouse in a jewel tone? Not problem. Cotton in a subdued pastel? Fine. There are many good options. Just check that the fabric looks to be of good quality, check that the neckline plays well with your jacket, make sure the buttons don't pull across your bust, and that you're not showing any undergarments anywhere.
Thanks Tim! :DI appreciate the advice from you and Winged Scapula! Seems shallow to care so much about clothes, but that first impression is made so quickly, and I so want it to be positive! (Please don't let Nina Garcia get hold of me. . . sorry for divulging my guilty pleasure in Project Runway!)

I think you misunderstand. I agree that real tweed especially light colored ones can be hot and uncomfortable.

I have that exact suit. It's not hot because it's not tweed; it's a poly/rayon black suit with pale gray flecks. It looks nice in person and although I would generally recommend a solid suit this one is, IRL, unobtrusive enough and looks nice, that there seemed to be no reason no to OK it since it was her only choice.

Ahh okay. I misunderstood then. I would hate to wear a tweed suit to an interview. Everything would be soaked in sweat if it was even remotely warm in the room!

Thanks Tim! :DI appreciate the advice from you and Winged Scapula! Seems shallow to care so much about clothes, but that first impression is made so quickly, and I so want it to be positive! (Please don't let Nina Garcia get hold of me. . . sorry for divulging my guilty pleasure in Project Runway!)

I posted pictures in the previous page... got approval by the sharp folks on this thread! :D I know it sounds loud but it really is an elegant ensemble. A bit shiny but I even got OK'ed for that too. Check it out if you want to see it, it's got a tie-neck too.

LOL! Yes us South Asians can be very bright indeed. Hence my strong gravitation to colors :D I literally wore a rainbow kurti (midi dress) to a big celebration over the weekend.

Reactions: 3 users
I posted pictures in the previous page... got approval by the sharp folks on this thread! :D I know it sounds loud but it really is an elegant ensemble. A bit shiny but I even got OK'ed for that too. Check it out if you want to see it, it's got a tie-neck too.

LOL! Yes us South Asians can be very bright indeed. Hence my strong gravitation to colors :D I literally wore a rainbow kurti (midi dress) to a big celebration over the weekend.

I just love traditional Asian clothes -- Saris, Kimono, Cheongsams. I collect Asian textiles and wear them when I can, which, as a pale blond living a 'normal' life, isn't nearly as often as I'd like...

Reactions: 1 users
So I have been kinda stressing over what shirt to get for under my suit. This is my suit (minus the vest) and I was wondering if this blouse would be okay.

Last edited:
I just love traditional Asian clothes -- Saris, Kimono, Cheongsams. I collect Asian textiles and wear them when I can, which, as a pale blond living a 'normal' life, isn't nearly as often as I'd like...

That's wonderful! Those colors must really pop on you. When I grew up in a small Iowan town there were a few white female friends of my mom that asked my parents to bring back saris from India, and when they wore them it just looked so amazing. Colors like salmon and turquoise that look great anyhow just really popped.

Oh, as for myself, being away from family in a less diverse Midwestern town makes it hard to find reasons to wear my ~20 fancy, colorful, heavily embellished Indian outfits. The most frustrating thing is when we have "Indian" gatherings I'm the only one wearing traditional outfits :D It's in the bigger cities with more Indians that people bring out their tradiitonal garb more often. Hence I only wear mine when I visit family in the southern US

We have several Indian families in the neighborhood, and one of them was having some sort of 'do' this weekend. Driving by I could see a parade of women in beautiful saris walking in. If it wouldn't have looked completely creepy, I'd have parked there just to watch the 'fashion show.' ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have been kinda stressing over what shirt to get for under my suit. This is my suit (minus the vest) and I was wondering if this blouse would be okay.

I'm thinking it's okay just want to double check

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412678450.415450.jpg

Is my bag interview appropriate? I think it's beautiful, but I am worried because it's "Prada" it will reflect poorly on me somehow? The only logo is the triangle shown on the end of the bag, but is there a rule against designer bags for interviews?

And does anyone have an opinion on whether we should wear nylons with skirts?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
What do you guys think of a pale pink button down shirt with faux-pearl embellishments on the collar? It kind of looks like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDQz/z/VzQAAOxyNW9SJT46/$T2eC16R,!yYFIc9OOLQYBSJT46ETig~~60_35.JPG but with a higher neckline and slightly larger pearls. I think it looks good under the suit but I'm not sure if it's too flashy.
I'm not a fashionista--or even a Maxxinista--but I think that 1) you'd have to be blonde, or you would look "washed out" and 2) you might look too "pretty."

View attachment 186030
Is my bag interview appropriate? I think it's beautiful, but I am worried because it's "Prada" it will reflect poorly on me somehow? The only logo is the triangle shown on the end of the bag, but is there a rule against designer bags for interviews?

Thanks!!
Bag--why should it be problem? (Maybe don't take it into the financial aid office?) I hate "nylons." But the Boomers. . .I guess we dress for the people interviewing us, and there seems to be a prejudice in favor of leg covering among certain. . .ahem. . .more mature folks. (Let me repeat: I hate nylons.) So probably I will wear them that day.

That's wonderful! Those colors must really pop on you. When I grew up in a small Iowan town there were a few white female friends of my mom that asked my parents to bring back saris from India, and when they wore them it just looked so amazing. Colors like salmon and turquoise that look great anyhow just really popped.

Oh, as for myself, being away from family in a less diverse Midwestern town makes it hard to find reasons to wear my ~20 fancy, colorful, heavily embellished Indian outfits. The most frustrating thing is when we have "Indian" gatherings I'm the only one wearing traditional outfits :D It's in the bigger cities with more Indians that people bring out their tradiitonal garb more often. Hence I only wear mine when I visit family in the southern US
It's interesting to see who wears what. Saris are tough to wear, and the jewel tones don't work for those who are very fair. And where can they be worn, really, on a daily basis 'round Anytown, USA? A favorite, though, is the salwar kameez, or just the kameez (flowing tunic) with leggings. Looks great on pretty much anyone, AND is comfortable, AND is modest, AND does not require constant adjustment. (Part of wearing a sari is everlasting preening!) A kurti also works. . .but not for the interview!
1700392-acceldiamond-ready-wear-stitched-kurti-top.jpg

Have you tried it on? Or under a suit? The pleat-neck seems to draw attention to the bosom area...which is a bit distracting. I really like the color and it could be appropriate underneath the suit jacket!
Looks great to me! Just remember not to take your suit jacket off, obviously.
Yay! I wore that exact shirt in a different color on my first four interviews. I'd definitely avoid green if you have pale skin. It's a very nice blouse, so try to find a color that complements your skin tone and you can wear it over and over again.

Thanks! I tried it on in the store and it looked great I just wanted more opinions :D I won't be taking my jacket off, it's gonna be a bit chilly anyway.

View attachment 186030

Thanks!!

That bag is gorgeous and the style is very appropriate. The Prada label could be interpreted to read 'Daddy's Princess' or 'Rich Girl' , but it's pretty subtle, so I doubt anyone will notice anything other than your good taste. The problem comes more into play with bags that are All about the Logo -- ie LV or Coach C's.

And nylons are necessary with skirts - sorry.

It's interesting to see who wears what. Saris are tough to wear, and the jewel tones don't work for those who are very fair. And where can they be worn, really, on a daily basis 'round Anytown, USA? A favorite, though, is the salwar kameez, or just the kameez (flowing tunic) with leggings. Looks great on pretty much anyone, AND is comfortable, AND is modest, AND does not require constant adjustment. (Part of wearing a sari is everlasting preening!) A kurti also works. . .but not for the interview!
1700392-acceldiamond-ready-wear-stitched-kurti-top.jpg

Confession... I have never worn a sari ;) But I sleep in shalwar kameez's! :D They're awesome

That bag is gorgeous and the style is very appropriate. The Prada label could be interpreted to read 'Daddy's Princess' or 'Rich Girl' , but it's pretty subtle, so I doubt anyone will notice anything other than your good taste. The problem comes more into play with bags that are All about the Logo -- ie LV or Coach C's.

And nylons are necessary with skirts - sorry.
Bag--why should it be problem? (Maybe don't take it into the financial aid office?) I hate "nylons." But the Boomers. . .I guess we dress for the people interviewing us, and there seems to be a prejudice in favor of leg covering among certain. . .ahem. . .more mature folks. (Let me repeat: I hate nylons.) So probably I will wear them that day.
Thanks for the advice!!

My business partner is Indian and I love wearing her saris and salwar kameez to parties and weddings. Fun for this blonde girl with an otherwise normal life as well.

My business partner is Indian and I love wearing her saris and salwar kameez to parties and weddings. Fun for this blonde girl with an otherwise normal life as well.
At last the Subcontinent gets to export (something besides doctors. . . .):D

So I was wondering is it ok to take a dark grey suit top and put it with black pants. I bought a suit and am smaller than 0P so I had it altered but I still feel like the legs are too big. So my choice is either go with the matching bottoms that "fit" but feel baggy in the back of the thigh or match the top with an existing pair of dress pants.

Got great advice after talking with an adcom member (both she and I are fashionistas):

Your professional clothing should be invisible. Clean, simple, and fitted not because you need to "fit in," but because the interviewer should be more focused on you and your responses than what you're wearing. I know it seems boring and normally, I like my clothes to stand out a bit; but here your answers and personality should send them a message so give them the opportunity to focus on you and not your clothes.

Also from personal/professional experience, don't let your interview day be the first time you wear your suit! Wear your pants/skirt or blazer out and about some time before so that you'll look and feel comfortable during your interview. :) It's usually obvious when someone has never worn a suit before. And break in those heels!

What are others planning on wearing during the winter? Is it acceptable to wear a skirt/jacket suit with tights and black riding boots? I want to wear the plain black boots to keep warm but I wonder if that's not professional enough and if heels would be better... but I also want to be practical with the cold/potential snow!

What are others planning on wearing during the winter? Is it acceptable to wear a skirt/jacket suit with tights and black riding boots? I want to wear the plain black boots to keep warm but I wonder if that's not professional enough and if heels would be better... but I also want to be practical with the cold/potential snow!
No!

Absolutely not. Tights and riding boots are too casual for a professional medical school interview. You may wear snow boots and change out of them when you arrive at the hospital if you must.

is this appropriate?

http://bowsandsequins.com/wp-conten...t-with-Brown-Tweed-Blazer-and-Black-Pants.jpg

I was thinking about wearing something similar but with a black blazer and longer pants
=/ im confused

Yes, you are. In no way is that appropriate.

They are "ok" albeit boring. I'd recommend a nicer fabric as well.

is this appropriate?

http://bowsandsequins.com/wp-conten...t-with-Brown-Tweed-Blazer-and-Black-Pants.jpg

I was thinking about wearing something similar but with a black blazer and longer pants
=/ im confused

I think the issue with that is the fact that the blouse is an animal print; or is tweed/black considered informal? Or is it both?

I'm plus-size so I understand the struggle of finding outfits without paisley or other obnoxious print. Seriously, I don't know why they do that...

They are "ok" albeit boring. I'd recommend a nicer fabric as well.

What makes them boring so I can steer clear of that? I know this thread isn't the end all be all and it's just everyones opinion but I like having other people opinions besides just my family and friends. Is it that they are button downs and the fabric isnt interesting? I have been following this thread for a little and wanted to stay away from prints even though love florals and other patterns, and I have also been trying to stay away from shiny and embellished. I wont be taking my jacket off at all so sleeveless isnt a problem for me.

What makes them boring so I can steer clear of that? I know this thread isn't the end all be all and it's just everyones opinion but I like having other people opinions besides just my family and friends. Is it that they are button downs and the fabric isnt interesting? I have been following this thread for a little and wanted to stay away from prints even though love florals and other patterns, and I have also been trying to stay away from shiny and embellished. I wont be taking my jacket off at all so sleeveless isnt a problem for me.
There is really nothing wrong with boring. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with excellent fabric cut into a well-tailored suit with a flattering shell or blouse. The latter is harder to pull off for the novice, though.

As @gyngyn notes, there is really nothing wrong with being boring. And for some, without a recipe (black suit, white button front shirt, black 2 inch heels, pearl stud earrings), they will dress horribly wrong.

However, the reason I made the comment is that 90% of the candidates will be wearing a white button front cotton shirt. Its not the most flattering look for most and the army of drones looks boring to me.

Interesting does not have to mean inappropriate cuts or patterns, embellishments or shiny fabrics. It can mean a color other than white, a style other than button down and fabric other than cotton.

I briefly browsed this thread, and I have 3 questions:
1) I never realized it was problematic to carry a tote?? I was planning on carrying this one - http://www.saksoff5th.com/alice-leather-trimmed-small-tote/0493974649540.html (not huge - 12½"W X 12½"H X 6"D - but still a tote... and I'm more petite)
2) I saw that it's recommended to wear a "matching" dress & blazer if not going for a full-on suit. I was planning on just wearing a gray dress (this one in the "heather flannel" color https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/suiting/dresses/PRDOVR~02537/02537.jsp?color_name=black) with a black suit jacket - they aren't part of a matching set but that should be ok, right?
3) what is the general consensus on changing into flats for the tour? I'm not great at walking in heels - my feet get sore pretty fast
[I am fairly petite and young looking, so yes I know I absolutely must wear heels for the interview]

Last edited: