Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK I can do Navy. But what color shoes? And can I still do a jewel toned shirt underneath?
Like my esteemed colleague gyngyn notes, cordovan is nice. Black or a dark charcoal shoe would be fine as well.

Think of navy as a neutral; it can work very nicely with a wine/cordovan blouse to coordinate with the shoe, green, rose, red, pale gold or dove grey etc would all work depending on your complexion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On each interview I've been on, there's been at least two or three women who are dressed in ways that would be considered inappropriate by the standards in this forum, but I have not seen anyone judge them, and for many it was not even their first interview, so they clearly knew how most people dressed for interviews. I tend to think that perhaps that is all they had, and I think it's wrong to judge them if that is the case (especially if their fashion faux pas are more benign and earnest seeming like a poor choice of color for the top/not very professional flats/wearing a cardigan instead of a suit jacket/wearing an unflattering suit/etc versus the more inappropriate for being just plainly not conservative enough like low cut shirts, short dresses or skirts, stilettos etc)

I think this thread is great for helping those with time and money to purchase appropriate clothing but in retrospect, this thread places much more emphasis on the interview attire than i think is necessary. Also I have noticed that I've been one of the only women in heels at all my interviews and have felt it off place because of it. Most women wore flats.
We are being relied upon to judge. That doesn't mean that we will make an applicant feel awkward or uncomfortable.
The way you present yourself tells a lot about you. Modest deviations are not deal breakers, but a lack of reality testing is not a desirable trait in medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My job is not to make someone feel uncomfortable about their appearance; its not kind and as we've noted before, in most cases, its not a deal breaker anyway. If and when I'm asked, I will answer honestly.

Of course, we understand that for some the issue really is a lack of money to purchase the "prescribed uniform". However, I honestly suspect that in most, its a case of "special flower" (i.e., I'm going to be different so they will notice me or The rules don't apply to me because I am special) or an extreme lack of observation and adherence to societal/situation rules neither of which bode well for a future colleague.

The truth is that most of you are probably obsessing over minutiae. When you see other applicants deviate from "said appropriateness", its best to assume they just don't know any better or just don't care. However, if you're going to ask me whether flats are professional or if its ok to wear a mismatched suit, I'm going to tell you what I and others really think.

Reactions: 5 users
Save that for the weekend. Outside of the top button being unbuttoned (which is okay depending on how the shirt is cut), you really shouldn't be doing something like this if you have to ask if it's okay.

I wore my shirts with the top two buttons open for much of my time in college, but now that I have a full time job in insurance, I'm starting to wear my shirts with just the top button open. I'm not wearing a necktie over it, so I don't need to stifle myself, although --- in my late high school and early college days I did actually button them all. Lol...

Yeah some shirts are cut with the top button slightly lower, otherwise, yeah top isn't buttoned unless you want to look like a goober.

Thanks Winged Scapula for all your answers! I have another question: some schools allow us to change after our interviews before we head home. Sorry if this is a weird question, but will they judge us based on how we "dress" in our casual attire?

I think this question got passed over, but I'm also interested in the answer. This is probably overly-neurotic, but I was wondering what the protocol is for changing out of interview clothes when you are clearly traveling back (brought your suitcase to the interview.) Generally I've been leaving the area of the admissions office (lower floor, building next door etc) to change in a rest room, but sometimes the admissions office is nice enough to help coordinate cabs or give directions to the metro, and they often ask if you want to change first and then walk you out of the building in the right direction. In this case I feel like it makes you look impractical to not change out of your suit first, but the general advice would also be to not let them see you not wearing your suit. What do you recommend, or does it not matter?

I think this question got passed over, but I'm also interested in the answer. This is probably overly-neurotic, but I was wondering what the protocol is for changing out of interview clothes when you are clearly traveling back (brought your suitcase to the interview.) Generally I've been leaving the area of the admissions office (lower floor, building next door etc) to change in a rest room, but sometimes the admissions office is nice enough to help coordinate cabs or give directions to the metro, and they often ask if you want to change first and then walk you out of the building in the right direction. In this case I feel like it makes you look impractical to not change out of your suit first, but the general advice would also be to not let them see you not wearing your suit. What do you recommend, or does it not matter?

I'm sure it's fine if you just use common sense and dress casual but appropriately; if they see you walking out in sweatpants that say nympho on the butt (Leslie Knope style), it'll raise some eyebrows.

You are correct in that I at least did not see this question.

The answer obviously depends on what your casual clothes look like. To be honest sometimes I see people wearing things on planes that I wouldn't even wear to bed at night.So if you're going to be changing into something that's very sloppy then I would suggest you do it at the airport.

I think many applicants misconstrue things and assume unless it's during the formal interview they can say, act, and do whatever they want. Truthfully it's probably not a big deal, but you should understand that if I see you wearing something very sloppy I will assume that is how you normally look and that the interview style was an aberration rather than the other way around.

If you're very worried about this then I see no reason to change at the school. Do it when you get to the airport and if time is of the essence put everything you'll need in the front pocket of your suitcase so that you'll have easy access to it can take it out of your checked bag and change once you get to your gate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Winged Scapula and areserine! Are dark-wash jeans with a pull-over/ fleece jacket okay? Sorry if I am over-analyzing your response and being overly Type A.
On a similar note, how would you recommend we dress for rainy interview days, besides bringing an umbrella? Would you suggest packing a pair of rain boots in our luggage and changing into those before we go to the airport, or would you suggest we brave it out with a pair of flats?
Thanks for everything!

Since it's getting cold in some places, could I get some advice on coats? I have a pea coat - except it's pink! It looks a lot like this one: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/3/0/4/3/0/webimg/443607587_tp.jpg

I'm guessing the color makes it inappropriate for interviews?

And then I have a black coat, but I'm not sure if it's formal enough for interviews. It's this one: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/231947230.jpg

Do you think one of these would work, or should I buy a black pea coat?

Thanks guys!

Would I look silly in a sheath dress, blazer, and hose in Boston in early November? I'm short and look weird in dress pants, but I don't know how cold it'll be.

@yelldan Well currently, it is raining and chilly (50ish degrees). Always assume its going to be colder than the forecast because theres always wind. If you can handle your legs being cold then sure, I see tons of women around the Longwood Medical area wearing skirts and dresses right now. Plus if it gets too cold you could always hop on the bus, T, or cab it.

Would I look silly in a sheath dress, blazer, and hose in Boston in early November? I'm short and look weird in dress pants, but I don't know how cold it'll be.

Classic outfit - never silly. You do have a long coat, right?

Not really clothing related but as far as (medium/longish) hair goes, is it better to wear it up in a ponytail or is wearing it down acceptable for interviews?

Since it's getting cold in some places, could I get some advice on coats? I have a pea coat - except it's pink! It looks a lot like this one: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/3/0/4/3/0/webimg/443607587_tp.jpg

I'm guessing the color makes it inappropriate for interviews?

And then I have a black coat, but I'm not sure if it's formal enough for interviews. It's this one: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/1000/231947230.jpg

Do you think one of these would work, or should I buy a black pea coat?

Thanks guys!

Neither of those coats are appropriate.

If you're going to have to buy a coat I would suggest you avoid a pea coat. They are by nature more casual and less versatile. Buy yourself a long(calf length) black wool coat. If you can afford it, spending a few hundred dollars and storing it properly, you will have a coat that will last you many years.

Thanks Winged Scapula and areserine! Are dark-wash jeans with a pull-over/ fleece jacket okay? Sorry if I am over-analyzing your response and being overly Type A.
On a similar note, how would you recommend we dress for rainy interview days, besides bringing an umbrella? Would you suggest packing a pair of rain boots in our luggage and changing into those before we go to the airport, or would you suggest we brave it out with a pair of flats?
Thanks for everything!

Sorry, I think my past question got passed!! Is it acceptable to bring rain boots with me, or should I just stick to flats? The weather forecast in New England this week is grim!
Also, another question on coats: are North Face fleece jackets acceptable, or are they considered too outdoorsy/ casual? I just find that they are so versatile and comfortable for travelling, but I understand if they would not go well with the suit. Sorry, my fashion sense is not really existent...

Neither of those coats are appropriate.

If you're going to have to buy a coat I would suggest you avoid a pea coat. They are by nature more casual and less versatile. Buy yourself a long(calf length) black wool coat. If you can afford it, spending a few hundred dollars and storing it properly, you will have a coat that will last you many years.

And if you can't afford a new good one and/or don't anticipate using it much, head over to eBay and get yourself a used good one. Or borrow from a friend --

Sorry, I think my past question got passed!! Is it acceptable to bring rain boots with me, or should I just stick to flats? The weather forecast in New England this week is grim!
Also, another question on coats: are North Face fleece jackets acceptable, or are they considered too outdoorsy/ casual? I just find that they are so versatile and comfortable for travelling, but I understand if they would not go well with the suit. Sorry, my fashion sense is not really existent...

You don't want the appropriateness of your interview attire to suffer from the weather, so I'd choose rain boots or 'temporary' flats plus nice heels over any sort of weather-induced compromise.

And yes, North Face jackets are too casual.

would this be too casual?

If this is unacceptable then I will have to find other options. Thank you!

Last edited:
Quick poll: I have very curly hair (my mom is African American and my dad's side of the family has "typically Jewish " curls. Usually I wear my hair curly and am quite adept at wearing it neat and curly (I work in a hospital.... I usually opt for a bun or pony). I've been blowing it out straight for interviews so far, but I prefer the way I look with it curly. Is it OK to leave it curly or should I just suck it up and blow it dry straight?

Quick poll: I have very curly hair (my mom is African American and my dad's side of the family has "typically Jewish " curls. Usually I wear my hair curly and am quite adept at wearing it neat and curly (I work in a hospital.... I usually opt for a bun or pony). I've been blowing it out straight for interviews so far, but I prefer the way I look with it curly. Is it OK to leave it curly or should I just suck it up and blow it dry straight?
You should wear your hair in whatever fashion you feel comfortable and looks neat and professional. There is nothing inherently better about straight hair. In addition I expect that your hair probably gets very frizzy with humidity so you may find that your expensive blowout or all the time you spent straightening it yourself is wasted

You should wear your hair in whatever fashion you feel comfortable and looks neat and professional. There is nothing inherently better about straight hair. In addition I expect that your hair probably gets very frizzy with humidity so you may find that your expensive blowout or all the time you spent straightening it yourself is wasted
Yes! Exactly! I've heard before that straight hair looks more professional but mine never stays straight throughout the day!

would this be too casual?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AF6KPZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The collar is adjustable to be double breasted. I have the grey one. If this is unacceptable then I will have to find other options. Thank you!

I'd call that one 'borderline' and say that if you already own it and have no long term need for a more formal long coat, then it's 'OK' -- (Not something anyone on the AdCom would comment negatively on) but that if you're looking to buy one, that's not the one to buy. Just my opinion...

So long as it's neat, then neat and curly it is! (And as a blond with straight hair, that's just the hair type I've always wanted!)

I'd call that one 'borderline' and say that if you already own it and have no long term need for a more formal long coat, then it's 'OK' -- (Not something anyone on the AdCom would comment negatively on) but that if you're looking to buy one, that's not the one to buy. Just my opinion...

Thank you for the response DokterMom. I bought the grey one last year. And I don't think I will need long term formal coat. Good to hear that I can get away with this one, as I am on limited budget.

Thank you Winged Scapula, gyngyn and DokterMom for putting up with all these back and forth asking for advice on a given appearance/suit/bags/shoes/coats, and providing great insights to women who are somewhat fashion clueless like myself!

With no immediate family member here, I find this thread to be a great help. Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you for the response DokterMom. I bought the grey one last year. And I don't think I will need long term formal coat. Good to hear that I can get away with this one, as I am on limited budget.
I agree with DokterMom, that its borderline acceptable and wouldn't be worth worrying about if you're on a tight budget.

I might ask however, if you are interviewing in cold snowy places, why wouldn't you think you'd need a "long term formal coat"? My father bought me a classic cashmere black long coat when I was in college that I still have and wear (I was visiting him in DC and being a young dumb Californian, I didn't have a nice coat to wear to the ballet in the winter. He despised my "ski jackets". LOL).

I might ask however, if you are interviewing in cold snowy places, why wouldn't you think you'd need a "long term formal coat"? My father bought me a classic cashmere black long coat when I was in college that I still have and wear (I was visiting him in DC and being a young dumb Californian, I didn't have a nice coat to wear to the ballet in the winter. He despised my "ski jackets". LOL).

I was considering that too. The state where I am has very mild winter. Although I will be interviewing at colder States, my first preference is my current state.

Given my tight budget at this time, I figured if this coat will work then I'll buy a more formal long coat if I matched in a program with unforgiving winter.

Thank you Winged Scapula!

It's cute but the reviews aren't great. For $275, you deserve something 4 or 5 stars.

The sleeves also look too narrow to fit over a suit jacket; have you tried it on?
No, I haven't tried it on. (I don't mind returning it if it doesn't fit properly.)
OK I will keep looking! Thanks.

th
Would this work?

Attachments

• suit.jpg
    suit.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited: