Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
th
Would this work?

Absolutely. The duchess has impeccable taste, and dresses, of necessity, very conservatively. If in doubt, the question: "Would Kate Middleton wear this?" will not steer you wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
This week had relatively few extreme examples (for women, anyway!).
The winners were:
A saran wrap tight mini and fluffy pink blouse with no jacket.
A large canvas tote (used as purse) adorned with big kittens.
Worst accessory: eye rolling disinterest.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The winners were:
maybe that was the same girl who I saw interviewing in an elite school here in NYC. Exchange the canvas tote with a mini fashion handbag. Her ability to appear to be actively eye rolling while her face remains constantly rigid was anatomically interesting. everything looked slightly annoying to her and seemed worthless of her time

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. The duchess has impeccable taste, and dresses, of necessity, very conservatively. If in doubt, the question: "Would Kate Middleton wear this?" will not steer you wrong.
A British brand called Reiss was my favorite for this reason. It looked like everything in the store can be worn by KM. I don't have much desire in life but I do wish one day I'll be able to shop there without having to wait for the few times of the year that the store has 70% sale. A big plus of this brand for me was that the cloths seem to fit girls on the tall side.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe that was the same girl who I saw interviewing in an elite school here in NYC. Exchange the canvas tote with a mini fashion handbag. Her ability to appear to be actively eye rolling while her face remains constantly rigid was anatomically interesting. everything looked slightly annoying to her and seemed worthless of her time
That's her!

Maybe she just had RBF syndrome? The problem is real!

http://thoughtcatalog.com/brandon-g...thinkers-guide-to-resting-bitchface-syndrome/

That's her!
Actually now I recall her slim figure, her rather beautifully done dark hair and her canvas bag. The mini fashion handbag belonged to a different girl who actually was physically rolling her eyes at everything in a different school.

Actually now I recall her slim figure, her rather beautifully done dark hair and her canvas bag. The mini fashion handbag belonged to a different girl who actually was physically rolling her eyes at everything in a different school.
Canvas handbag is a different woman. It could still be her!

Hi,
I have a dental school interview coming up and I will be wearing a black suit. I'm having trouble deciding between a royal blue blouse and a white blouse. I know the white is the safest way to go, but I just wanted to wear a different color. What do you think?

Hi,
I have a dental school interview coming up and I will be wearing a black suit. I'm having trouble deciding between a royal blue blouse and a white blouse. I know the white is the safest way to go, but I just wanted to wear a different color. What do you think?
Go for the royal blue!

While we're coat-checking, someone said before that trenches were borderline. What about something like this?
http://www.londonfog.com/women/outerwear/trench-coats/laura-long-raincoat-removable-hood.html

EDIT: I posted the wrong link, but same idea:
http://www.londonfog.com/women/oute...reasted-long-trench-coat-detachable-hood.html
I don't recall anyone saying wholesale that trenches were borderline; perhaps just one particular one that someone posted?

One of my best residency purchases was a black London Fog with a zip out lining. Classic, very warm, great for rainy or snowy days but fine for fall and spring without the lining.

I think it's perfectly fine although I'd think black more versatile.

Members don't see this ad :)
The winners were:
Our winners:

black polyester pants, run down at the hem, worn with a white cotton button front and serviceable oxfords. If she'd had an apron, I'd have thought I was at Capital Grille and given her my lunch order.

a couple facial piercings and visible tats

Yes it's 90 degrees out but you still have to wear a blouse. A tank, even a "silky" one, needs a jacket.

One gal with 5" platform green suede wedges; they matched her blouse so there's that. LOL

Multiple canvas totes; one from a Mexican resort. Made me daydream about the beach.

Lots of RBF. Lots of complaining about the heat and traffic overheard. Its the 5th largest city in the US and Arizona. I'm not sure what they were expecting.

Really!?! I would love to wear my blue. But why do you think I should stick with blue and not white?
Because white is predictable, boring, not flattering on most people and you'll disappear into the sea of other drones wearing a black suit and white button front shirt. Give me something interesting to look at!!!

Because white is predictable, boring, not flattering on most people and you'll disappear into the sea of other drones wearing a black suit and white button front shirt. Give me something interesting to look at!!!

Ah! Thank you thank you!!!!!!
Blue it is!

Agreed. Although I like to think that I'm using the predictability of white to my advantage, I tend to stand out from any crowd due to certain physical property of mine being extreme, so in order to blend in, I chose white shirts.

Ann Taylor's online store has 50% off everything this weekend, so if you're in the market for suits or nice tops you should check it out! :)

Agreed. Although I like to think that I'm using the predictability of white to my advantage, I tend to stand out from any crowd due to certain physical property of mine being extreme, so in order to blend in, I chose white shirts.

LOL…now you've got me wondering (not in a creepy way)!

One more questions to the experts ;)

Do you recommend I take a purse or a folder?
I need to carry my small iPhone 4s, my debit card and license.

Also, I'm wearing 2 inch interview heels, but when I wore them for my first interview they caused a lot of pain while I was in the tour. I'm blaming the fact that I had blisters from walking in the city the day before my interview. So I thought I should bring a purse big enough to fit flats that I could change into during bathroom break before the tour. But then I also thought that if I change into flats, my pants might be too long. I should just find better shoes...

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

One more questions to the experts ;)

Do you recommend I take a purse or a folder?
I need to carry my small iPhone 4s, my debit card and license.

Also, I'm wearing 2 inch interview heels, but when I wore them for my first interview they caused a lot of pain while I was in the tour. I'm blaming the fact that I had blisters from walking in the city the day before my interview. So I thought I should bring a purse big enough to fit flats that I could change into during bathroom break before the tour. But then I also thought that if I change into flats, my pants might be too long. I should just find better shoes...

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

If the pain was from blistered heels, I highly recommend those gel heel liners that you can buy at almost every drugstore.
Your pants will definitely be too long if you change into flats.

Aww shucks! I have the first two features, and would kill for the third because 5"6' is boring ;) You're lucky!
Wait until we are both 80 if I reach that age at all. Not being tall helps with longevity!

Is this acceptable to wear under my Navy blazer? It's basically a cotton shirt from loft. I am having the hardest time finding a blouse.

Attachments

• 1414281544013.jpg
    1414281544013.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 198
Is this acceptable to wear under my Navy blazer? It's basically a cotton shirt from loft. I am having the hardest time finding a blouse.
too loose? front looks like its just hanging off.

I don't think so. I don't want it to be clinging to me. At least that is what I've been told in the past for professional attire.
Yeah but theres no point of overdoing it.

Better to look neat.

Yeah but theres no point of overdoing it.

Better to look neat.
OK I understand. I will keep looking. And if one more person (IRL) suggests the juniors department I might burst into tears.

The Limited and Express have really nice button down blouses in every color .
Button down blouses never fit properly and always look frumpy and or oversized on me so I would like to avoid that of possible. If it's required I guess I can find something.

OK I understand. I will keep looking. And if one more person (IRL) suggests the juniors department I might burst into tears.

And you're a mom? Life's not fair... :rolleyes:
That's a little too 'T-shirt'.

If you can pair it with a good blazer jacket and dress pants... Buttoning the jacket will only have the shirt show in the chest area.

So I'd say try to find a shirt that will go well with the jacket you have i.e not too high... not too low. not thicker than jacket... etc.

Like this: http://www.theinterviewcode.com/wp-...ew_Code_Site_II/images/Business Pant Suit.jpg

Or try a collar: http://www.becauseclothing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Job-Interview-dress-for-women.jpg

These IMO look the most professional.

And you're a mom? Life's not fair... :rolleyes:
That's a little too 'T-shirt'.
Breastfeeding and genetics. I won that lottery. OK Well I bought it for casual days and I will keep shopping. Thanks!

As a 00-0 petite, I feel you. Finding a nice blouse is not the problem. Finding nice blouse that fits my size IS like finding needle in a haystack. The one that fits well for me is a plain white button down shirt so far...

Size wise, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor has 00 petite.

I've been on two interviews so far; ran into the same girl at both of them, and she was wearing the same dress at both. I haven't been able to find an exact match, but it looked basically like this, just slightly longer and without the droopy sleeves.

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/9012232/Womens-Chevron-Print-Bell-Sleeve-Dress-L16214233.jpg

I'm male and admit that I know little-to-nothing about women's interview attire, but still... she sure stood out from the crowd!

Yikes! I would wear that to a walk in the park on Sunday... :oops:

Button down blouses never fit properly and always look frumpy and or oversized on me so I would like to avoid that of possible. If it's required I guess I can find something.

I too would reccomend Banana or Ann Taylor. They have super small sizes and nice fabrics. I suggest you purchase a sleeveless shell in an interestign color or with nice pleats. Under a blazer no matter how tight or loose it fits no one should be able to tell! The LOFT one is too T-shirt like... Good luck!!!

I'm size 0 and 5'6 (so not petite, but XS or S) and I buy most of my blouses from Dillards, specifically from Antonio Melani or Alex Marie. At the end of some months they have extra 30% off clearance, which allows one to buy super expensive fancy blouses (>80 dollars) for 20-30 dollars! Talbots is a great choice as well.

As a 00-0 petite, I feel you. Finding a nice blouse is not the problem. Finding nice blouse that fits my size IS like finding needle in a haystack. The one that fits well for me is a plain white button down shirt so far...

Size wise, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor has 00 petite.

A few helpful sites for fellow petites:

http://www.extrapetite.com/p/petite-resources.html (also check out her regular blog posts for blouses, etc).

Most of her outfits are too casual to work for medical school interview attire, but her blog is an excellent resource for finding petite-friendly stores. She also has great tips about finding regular sized items that can be successfully altered for super small petite frames.

I have been eyeing a light blue shirt for the remaining interviews, thought I found one
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1414532292.445327.jpg

Then....nvm
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1414532309.865087.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Just discovered the most comfortable dress shoe ever. If you don't want to wear intense heels, the Frye Oxford shoe is amazing, it has a 1.5 inch heel.

Very sleek and COMFORTABLE!

Hi! I am new here but this is a fun thread ! I am deciding on my shirt (I decided to wear a navy suit, voted against my favorite brown jacket to be 100% safe!) , and looking at earlier discussions here, it seems that consensus is pastel color is ok? My premed advisor said white shirt, but I honestly do not see myself wearing a white shirt after interviews. So I am leaning towards my favorite color, pale pink. Please let me know what you think....
http://www.anntaylor.com/p-cttn-ls-...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9000

Any ideas for pre interview dinner attire? The information from PC says casual attire. As far as I know jeans is a big no no.

Would this be too casual?

Any ideas for pre interview dinner attire? The information from PC says casual attire. As far as I know jeans is a big no no.

Would this be too casual?
Where the dinner is at and who's there with you make a difference. But either way I'd say you look appropriate enough and quite nice. You might have dressed more formally than a couple I've seen during the actual interview days...

Where the dinner is at and who's there with you make a difference. But either way I'd say you look appropriate enough and quite nice. You might have dressed more formally than a couple I've seen during the actual interview days...

Thank you for your feedback FriendlyFH. The place is a local bistro, website says to dress casually. Dinner will be attended by residents, I think, there was no mention whether faculty will be there. I was hesitant whether legging like the picture above will be too casual/inappropriate?

As an alternative, I am considering this one:

Thank you for your feedback FriendlyFH. The place is a local bistro, website says to dress casually. Dinner will be attended by residents, I think, there was no mention whether faculty will be there. I was hesitant whether legging like the picture above will be too casual/inappropriate?

I think that dressing a bit cute and casually before the interview to show your affability and your femininity then impressing the people with your ability to dress nice and professionally the next day is a good strategy. It shows your flexibility and that you are not a boring person. However, I'm not saying this because I have any kind of experience actually interviewing people. It's just out of my senses. I don't really like the second photo. It looks a bit dull...if you are concerned, maybe change into a skirt/dress?
The first one looks good to me, let's see what the faculty on SDN think...

I think leggings are a bit too casual, even if it's just at a local bistro, the top half is fine though! Those pants, however, are too short, is that the style maybe?