Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haters gonna hate but frankly, I find this whole thread sickening.

I saw a med school dean wearing a puffy coat yesterday.

Requiring women (but not men) to wear heels makes me wonder if we will someday require foot binding, too.

If I had one wish for med school interviews it would be to go to "business casual" for interviews. The suits applicants are wearing are costumes that have no relationship to the world they live in now or the one they hope to live in for the next 4 years. /rant

This x1000. Scratch that, this x1,000,000.

Best practices for women include make-up, jewelry, and heels, all of which are designed to cover up physical imperfections or enhance physical attractiveness, none of which are required for men. The only thing I can possibly imagine is that it's a holdover from the time when women were secretaries and eye-candy for men, a la Mad Men.

This thread does leave me kind of speechless at times. I certainly appreciate what I've learned from it but gosh darn as a society we can be so superficial sometimes. This is NOT a knock on interviewers requiring professional standards; it's a knock on the society that informs those professional standards. We've come a long way from the Mad Men era in some respects, and I hope that we will continue to make progress. Maybe someday this thread will be on one of those comical Buzzfeed lists, and the med students reading it will gasp at what was expected of female med school applicants in 2015 :)

Reactions: 4 users
Is this sheath dress appropriate with a blazer?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1005910&vid=1&pid=554945012

Is this tweed sheath too casual?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1005910&vid=1&pid=288496002

Or should I just go for the navy suit?

Thanks a lot in advance!

The second (tweed) dress in your first post, and the third (tweed) dress in your second post look pretty short on those models, just make sure whatever dress you go with is an appropriate (read VERY modest) length.
I only saw one interviewee in tweed during my interviews, she was in a very nice skirt suit and she looked great! She got a lot of compliments (especially in regards to the fact that all of the rest of the female interviewees, myself included, were in black haha). If you like the tweed and can pull it off, I'd say go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
The white wool is very attractive and not at all inappropriate, so long as it is clean. Keeping it clean is the difficult part -- but your problem, not mine ;-)

A sheath dress and blazer is a classic and very attractive look, provided that you're not too curvy (think sexy curvy, not 'heavy' curvy) and it's not too tight. While the tweed is more casual, it would be easier to pair with a solid black jacket. The solid sheath - unless it has a matching jacket - might be harder to pair.

Thanks, DokterMom!

My husband, who recruits/interviews for a living, thinks the tweed is too casual. I'll have to try a few on and see. Any suggestions about the type of blazer to pair a tweed sheath with? Would a tweed skirt, white shell, and black blazer look too informal?

I'm not too worried about getting the white coat dirty because my interview is only a 15 minute drive away.

The second (tweed) dress in your first post, and the third (tweed) dress in your second post look pretty short on those models, just make sure whatever dress you go with is an appropriate (read VERY modest) length.
I only saw one interviewee in tweed during my interviews, she was in a very nice skirt suit and she looked great! She got a lot of compliments (especially in regards to the fact that all of the rest of the female interviewees, myself included, were in black haha). If you like the tweed and can pull it off, I'd say go for it!

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I'm just a little over five feet tall, so short dresses usually fall to about knee length on me. :D
Was the interviewee in a full suit? All tweed?

I've spent the last few days skimming through this thread, but haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Is a white wool coat alright? I've read black, charcoal, camel, and even red, but no mention of a white coat.

A white coat is lovely and difficult to keep clean. As @DokterMom notes, its your problem to do so, but not inappropriate.

That dress can be low cut IRL; you'll need to try it on to see.

Its way too short on the model but she's 5'10" so YMMV. Otherwise, if its knee length on you, its fine IMHO. Tweed is more casual but it doesn't have to be (edit: don't wear it with a mismatched jacket and blouse. Matched suits only otherwise it really will become too casual).

These two are fine. AT tends to fit fuller busts better than BR but you'll need to still check the cut on the first. I have one very similar and you can see my cleavage in it.

Nope way too casual.
This x1000. Scratch that, this x1,000,000.

Best practices for women include make-up, jewelry, and heels, all of which are designed to cover up physical imperfections or enhance physical attractiveness, none of which are required for men. The only thing I can possibly imagine is that it's a holdover from the time when women were secretaries and eye-candy for men, a la Mad Men.

This thread does leave me kind of speechless at times. I certainly appreciate what I've learned from it but gosh darn as a society we can be so superficial sometimes. This is NOT a knock on interviewers requiring professional standards; it's a knock on the society that informs those professional standards. We've come a long way from the Mad Men era in some respects, and I hope that we will continue to make progress. Maybe someday this thread will be on one of those comical Buzzfeed lists, and the med students reading it will gasp at what was expected of female med school applicants in 2015 :)

I understand your point but those standards are required of men as well. There are several threads on male interviewee wear as well; this is not a sexist issue IMHO. Male interviewees are certainly required to wear things that "enhance their attractiveness" as well otherwise they'd be showing up in stained sweat pants and wife beaters.

You're also neglecting the fact that when people do dress appropriately or nicely (or whatever) they also tend to behave differently. Its more than just enhancing physical beauty. Its about having respect for the other people around you, for the position you are applying for and the job you will hold one day. Just see what patients prefer their doctor to wear. Its not casual street clothes.

But back to the topic at hand.

Reactions: 1 users
What would you think of a woman who showed up to an interview in a suit, flats, no make-up, and no jewelry? It's pretty much the consensus of this thread that it would be unprofessional if you are a woman, but completely professional if you're a man. By definition, that is sexist.

And you really can't equate the necessity of wearing make-up with...I'm struggling to even find a male analogy here. Women are expected to cover up physical flaws in ways that men are not, and I'm not sure how that's an arguable point. If wearing makeup is a sign of respect, then how we interpret respect needs to change. Women shouldn't be expected to hide large pores and lengthen their eyelashes and redden their lips to either show or deserve respect. Men are not held to that standard.

Nobody is talking about wearing casual street clothes. I'm simply agreeing with LizzyM that business casual would suffice.

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just trying to give some food for thought. I think it's important that we have these discussions, even if we disagree.

Reactions: 2 users
A

I understand your point but those standards are required of men as well. There are several threads on male interviewee wear as well; this is not a sexist issue IMHO. Male interviewees are certainly required to wear things that "enhance their attractiveness" as well otherwise they'd be showing up in stained sweat pants and wife beaters.

Men are never expected to wear heels. There is a double standard particularly when you consider that it is much more difficult to walk, and particularly to walk quickly, in heels. Long term wear can cause significant foot deformity that can be debilitating. Medicine should be a profession that protects women's health and physical function rather than promoting fashions that can be harmful. /rant

Reactions: 17 users
Men are never expected to wear heels. There is a double standard particularly when you consider that it is much more difficult to walk, and particularly to walk quickly, in heels. Long term wear can cause significant foot deformity that can be debilitating. Medicine should be a profession that protects women's health and physical function rather than promoting fashions that can be harmful. /rant
We do expect them to tie a "noose" around their neck.
Heels are not a requirement (or even expected), short fat heels are fine, as is switching into walking shoes for a tour (if she chooses to wear heels).

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen.

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I'm just a little over five feet tall, so short dresses usually fall to about knee length on me. :D
Was the interviewee in a full suit? All tweed?

Full skirt suit, matching tweed skirt and jacket.

Reactions: 1 user
So I've been reading through a lot of these posts and all the advice is extremely helpful! I know that the standard suit colors are black, gray, and navy, but is it unprofessional to wear colors like taupe, tan or brown? I just wanted to know if it would be considered to be too casual or not professional enough.

So I've been reading through a lot of these posts and all the advice is extremely helpful! I know that the standard suit colors are black, gray, and navy, but is it unprofessional to wear colors like taupe, tan or brown? I just wanted to know if it would be considered to be too casual or not professional enough.

Just wear the black or charcoal or navy suit

This is not the time to branch out or try something new

Taupe or tan would be fine in the South or West in the summer of fall. Black, navy and charcoal are fine everywhere, any time. If you're buying a suit, you'd get more use out of a black, gray or navy; but if you already own a tan, taupe or brown that is otherwise appropriate and are interviewing in the South or West in summer or fall, you're probably fine. (Depending on the color brown, it may be OK in the winter too.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wear the black or charcoal or navy suit

This is not the time to branch out or try something new

Yeah, I think I'm going to end up going with a shade of gray, but I was just curious.

Taupe or tan would be fine in the South or West in the summer of fall. Black, navy and charcoal are fine everywhere, any time. If you're buying a suit, you'd get more use out of a black, gray or navy; but if you already own a tan, taupe or brown that is otherwise appropriate and are interviewing in the South or West in summer or fall, you're probably fine. (Depending on the color brown, it may be OK in the winter too.)

Makes sense, thanks for the advice!

People are definitely bringing up interesting points about the gender double standard in how interviewees are supposed to look. I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents - it feels unfair to have to wear makeup, but it can also sometimes work in our favor to be able to wear it. The stress of the whole med school application process made me break out, then I would pick at my face in anxiety. It was a relief to be able to smooth everything over (literally and figuratively, ha) with foundation so I wouldn't feel self-conscious in front of the interviewer, whereas a guy would look strange with a face full of makeup and would probably draw as much if not more attention than breakouts.

Not saying I disagree with any of the other aspects in which women are expected to meet higher standards of appearance, just adding in something else to think about.

Yeah, I think I'm going to end up going with a shade of gray, but I was just curious.

Makes sense, thanks for the advice!
@toffee_bloom , from what I've read, there are at least fifty shades of gray from which to choose. . .

People are definitely bringing up interesting points about the gender double standard in how interviewees are supposed to look. I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents - it feels unfair to have to wear makeup, but it can also sometimes work in our favor to be able to wear it. The stress of the whole med school application process made me break out, then I would pick at my face in anxiety. It was a relief to be able to smooth everything over (literally and figuratively, ha) with foundation so I wouldn't feel self-conscious in front of the interviewer, whereas a guy would look strange with a face full of makeup and would probably draw as much if not more attention than breakouts.

Not saying I disagree with any of the other aspects in which women are expected to meet higher standards of appearance, just adding in something else to think about.
Yeah, I see both sides too. The fact that women's dress shoes are almost universally uncomfortable is incredibly frustrating and of course I wish I could show up to interviews in high tops. At the same time, all of human biology is unfair and I like that in heels, I'll be about the same height as your average male applicant.

@toffee_bloom , from what I've read, there are at least fifty shades of gray from which to choose. . .

Haha, I didn't even catch the reference I made! But I'm leaning toward a very light shade of gray with a rose-colored blouse since I have a darker skin tone.

But about the double standard with interview attire, it definitely can be a pain to deal with things like make-up and heels and trying to not look too "sexy." I have a rather large bust, so button up shirts area already out for me! :( Plus I'm on the shorter side with a booty so I'm afraid my pants are going to be too fitted and look unprofessional....

Wearing make up is optional. It's not an obligation. Women are expected to meet slightly different, not higher or lower, standard of appearance because we are physically built differently from the guys. Guys or gals, all have to put in some effort to look sleek and professional without standing out that's all.

Haha, I didn't even catch the reference I made! But I'm leaning toward a very light shade of gray with a rose-colored blouse since I have a darker skin tone.

But about the double standard with interview attire, it definitely can be a pain to deal with things like make-up and heels and trying to not look too "sexy." I have a rather large bust, so button up shirts area already out for me! :( Plus I'm on the shorter side with a booty so I'm afraid my pants are going to be too fitted and look unprofessional....
guys have their own set of pain to deal with.
Maybe a clean nice collarless shirt+skirt suit?

guys have their own set of pain to deal with.
Maybe a clean nice collarless shirt+skirt suit?

Yeah that's true!

I've been looking at a few blouses, and actually from reading the posts on here I learned what a "shell" was lol. Are there any materials for the top that is considered a no-no? I know it should be a solid color with nothing frou-frou or crazy embellishments and an appropriate neckline, but are materials like satin and silk not professional and is cotton too casual? Also shells tend to be sleeveless so would it be a better idea to go with a top with sleeves in case you have to take your jacket off? (Not during the interview of course, but during something like the tour on a day where it's like 90 degrees outside.)

If you're short and curvy, look at a sheath dress and matching jacket -- a very professional option that can be very attractive on that type of figure. You'll need to buy a dress with enough room in the bust and booty and have it professionally tailored through the mid-section and bottom (easy, inexpensive alterations) so that it fits you nicely but is not too tight. (Very important point.) Depending on how short/curvy you are, you may also need to have the jacket tailored in a similar vein. Or, if your rib cage is not particularly narrow, a 'box jacket' may be a better call.

Wearing make up is optional. It's not an obligation. Women are expected to meet slightly different, not higher or lower, standard of appearance because we are physically built differently from the guys. Guys or gals, all have to put in some effort to look sleek and professional without standing out that's all.

Very few women can carry off a 'no make-up' but 100% professional and pulled-together vibe. From some of your other posts, I suspect you are probably one of them, but most of us aren't!

If you're short and curvy, look at a sheath dress and matching jacket -- a very professional option that can be very attractive on that type of figure. You'll need to buy a dress with enough room in the bust and booty and have it professionally tailored through the mid-section and bottom (easy, inexpensive alterations) so that it fits you nicely but is not too tight. (Very important point.) Depending on how short/curvy you are, you may also need to have the jacket tailored in a similar vein. Or, if your rib cage is not particularly narrow, a 'box jacket' may be a better call.

Due to my religion I only wear full-length dresses, so unfortunately that is not an option for me! I plan on going for the pantsuit and the boot-cut pants seem to be the most flattering for my body type. For the jacket I'm just afraid of ill-fitting around the bust area and if I were to size up it would be too big everywhere else and I don't want to look boxy. So I also don't know if I'd be able to have my jacket buttoned up, but then again I haven't tried anything on yet.

Very few women can carry off a 'no make-up' but 100% professional and pulled-together vibe. From some of your other posts, I suspect you are probably one of them, but most of us aren't!

haha, you are too kind @DokterMom. I do wear basic make up. It takes like 5mins to put them on. On the other hand, I know that some, if not most guys, take forever to manage their hair. I guess my point is, "100% professional and pulled-together" appearance isn't completely necessary for interview, but desired. And to get there, everybody has to put in some efforts.

Due to my religion I only wear full-length dresses, so unfortunately that is not an option for me! I plan on going for the pantsuit and the boot-cut pants seem to be the most flattering for my body type. For the jacket I'm just afraid of ill-fitting around the bust area and if I were to size up it would be too big everywhere else and I don't want to look boxy. So I also don't know if I'd be able to have my jacket buttoned up, but then again I haven't tried anything on yet.
Ahhh, gotcha. Have you considered tailoring? I think quite a lot of people can't wear shelf-made suits that designed for only common body type. So the solution here is to buy one or two size larger and spend a hundred or so on tailoring. You'll need a suit as a professional woman in your career ahead anyway, so get one that fits you nicely isn't a bad investment.

Yeah that's true!

I've been looking at a few blouses, and actually from reading the posts on here I learned what a "shell" was lol. Are there any materials for the top that is considered a no-no? I know it should be a solid color with nothing frou-frou or crazy embellishments and an appropriate neckline, but are materials like satin and silk not professional and is cotton too casual? Also shells tend to be sleeveless so would it be a better idea to go with a top with sleeves in case you have to take your jacket off? (Not during the interview of course, but during something like the tour on a day where it's like 90 degrees outside.)

Sleeveless is fine. The risk that you have to take off your jacket is minimal. I did it only once and it wasn't considered unprofessional since it was during the tour where we play with simulation. It would not be nice if the material of your shell contrast too badly with your woolen suit. Maybe look around the website selling professional outfits (CK, Macy's etc) and get some ideas?

Ahhh, gotcha. Have you considered tailoring? I think quite a lot of people can't wear shelf-made suits that designed for only common body type. So the solution here is to buy one or two size larger and spend a hundred or so on tailoring. You'll need a suit as a professional woman in your career ahead anyway, so get one that fits you nicely isn't a bad investment.

Very true, thanks for the advice! I think that will be the best option for me.

That sounds like a challenge. I wonder though, how a full-length dress and jacket would play? (Do you also wear a head scarf?) Since your religious traditions are not the 'usual fare' for US MD school, if you're comfortable discussing your religion and how it informs your world-outlook, it could make for a very compelling interview. (Interviewers who cannot embrace diversity may not be in your corner either way -- may as well appeal to the more open-minded among them.) Or, go with a pants suit and blend in. (Though I'm curious about a religious tradition that calls for long dresses but allows sleeveless...?)

haha, you are too kind @DokterMom. I do wear basic make up. It takes like 5mins to put them on. On the other hand, I know that some, if not most guys, take forever to manage their hair. I guess my point is, "100% professional and pulled-together" appearance isn't completely necessary for interview, but desired. And to get there, everybody has to put in some efforts.

My idea of professional-interview appropriate makeup is a toned down version of what I normally wear. One coat of mascara, a little brow pencil + gel, a little liner on top lids only, skin tone or neutral shadow, tinted moisturizer, a little rose colored blush, a matte rose or mauve lip

But damn I love my major liner major lashes major lipstick moments. Makeup is so fun.

That sounds like a challenge. I wonder though, how a full-length dress and jacket would play? (Do you also wear a head scarf?) Since your religious traditions are not the 'usual fare' for US MD school, if you're comfortable discussing your religion and how it informs your world-outlook, it could make for a very compelling interview. (Interviewers who cannot embrace diversity may not be in your corner either way -- may as well appeal to the more open-minded among them.) Or, go with a pants suit and blend in. (Though I'm curious about a religious tradition that calls for long dresses but allows sleeveless...?)
Pretty sure (though not certain), that @toffee_bloom's worry was that she would be called upon to remove the jacket and thus wanted to wear a shell with sleeves. Hope that I am not being presumptuous (which translates, "of course I'm being presumptuous, but you don't get to call me on that because I used that 'hope I'm not' phrase"), but if this is your tradition, I'm a BIG fan of the Turkish look. . .those ladies in Istanbul look elegant and fashionable and modest and professional all at once. And the drape takes care of that bosom-y concern--one I share.
  • hijab-%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2015.jpg
    th

Pretty sure (though not certain), that @toffee_bloom's worry was that she would be called upon to remove the jacket and thus wanted to wear a shell with sleeves. Hope that I am not being presumptuous (which translates, "of course I'm being presumptuous, but you don't get to call me on that because I used that 'hope I'm not' phrase"), but if this is your tradition, I'm a BIG fan of the Turkish look. . .those ladies in Istanbul look elegant and fashionable and modest and professional all at once. And the drape takes care of that bosom-y concern--one I share.
  • hijab-%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2015.jpg
    th

Fabulous look! And I'd absolutely agree -- Not 'mainstream American interview garb' but absolutely professional and a very confident, appropriate and put-together look.

To clarify what I was trying to say above -- Confidence and self-knowledge is the key. The woman in the picture above is dressed in a way that expresses her pride in who she is, her capabilities, what she believes, and what she stands for. Her clothes make that statement in a way that is dignified and strong.

Trying to 'blend in' and conform says "I'm not really very different" -- The outfit above says "I am different and that is a really good thing."

Fabulous look! And I'd absolutely agree -- Not 'mainstream American interview garb' but absolutely professional and a very confident, appropriate and put-together look.

To clarify what I was trying to say above -- Confidence and self-knowledge is the key. The woman in the picture above is dressed in a way that expresses her pride in who she is, her capabilities, what she believes, and what she stands for. Her clothes make that statement in a way that is dignified and strong.

Trying to 'blend in' and conform says "I'm not really very different" -- The outfit above says "I am different and that is a really good thing."
BT9j-h2CIAA2eeU.jpg

Oh, I am Muslim, but I am not super religious. I don't wear the hijab. I just don't like to expose my legs. I would be fine wearing a sleeveless top, I just wouldn't take my jacket off. But I will probably try to find a top with short sleeves anyway in case I need to.

But those looks are gorgeous!

What do you mean?
I mean with a little common sense there is no way makeing makeup and heels hard to not look sexy.

You're doing it wrong if you think all makeup and heels look sexy. Also you don't have to wear heels. Or makeup.

Yeah, I see both sides too. The fact that women's dress shoes are almost universally uncomfortable is incredibly frustrating and of course I wish I could show up to interviews in high tops. At the same time, all of human biology is unfair and I like that in heels, I'll be about the same height as your average male applicant.
Dress shoes are NOT inherently uncomfortable. I can honestly say I have many heels that are just as comfortable (and infinitely more stylish and flattering) as my flats.

Yeah that's true!

I've been looking at a few blouses, and actually from reading the posts on here I learned what a "shell" was lol. Are there any materials for the top that is considered a no-no? I know it should be a solid color with nothing frou-frou or crazy embellishments and an appropriate neckline, but are materials like satin and silk not professional and is cotton too casual?

Silk is absolutely considered professional and appropriate. Crepe backed satin would be fine but the more "shiny" satin is probably best left for evening. Cotton is associated with more casual looks but a fine weave top would be ok (cotton can wrinkle easily, so be careful of that).

Also shells tend to be sleeveless so would it be a better idea to go with a top with sleeves in case you have to take your jacket off? (Not during the interview of course, but during something like the tour on a day where it's like 90 degrees outside.)

Shells don't "tend" to be sleeveless; they are sleeveless. Its fine to wear one as the times when you would have your jacket off is minimal to none.

I mean with a little common sense there is no way makeing makeup and heels hard to not look sexy.

You're doing it wrong if you think all makeup and heels look sexy. Also you don't have to wear heels. Or makeup.

No, I wasn't necessarily referring to heels and makeup (I mean I wear both myself in professional and non-professional settings). What I was talking about was specifically my situation in that with my body type I have to be careful about the clothing I wear, because while on the rack it may look "professional", once I put it on in some areas it may look too revealing or too tight or whatever. Obviously I should find clothes that fit appropriately everywhere, but sometimes it's hard to do and to go to the extra effort of getting it tailored and such. But yes, all of it is worth it to make sure I look professional at my interviews, I'm just complaining haha.

Silk is absolutely considered professional and appropriate. Crepe backed satin would be fine but the more "shiny" satin is probably best left for evening. Cotton is associated with more casual looks but a fine weave top would be ok (cotton can wrinkle easily, so be careful of that).

Shells don't "tend" to be sleeveless; they are sleeveless. Its fine to wear one as the times when you would have your jacket off is minimal to none.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I probably will try to steer clear of cotton. Thanks for the adivce!

Dress shoes are NOT inherently uncomfortable. I can honestly say I have many heels that are just as comfortable (and infinitely more stylish and flattering) as my flats.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love heels and have some that are relatively comfy. But even the comfiest heel (or flat) doesn't have much on men's dress shoes in terms of cushion and arch support...

Do you have any recommendations for shoe brands that make decently comfortable heels?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love heels and have some that are relatively comfy. But even the comfiest heel (or flat) doesn't have much on men's dress shoes in terms of cushion and arch support...

Well having never tried on men's shoes, I'll have to trust you on that LOL

Do you have any recommendations for shoe brands that make decently comfortable heels?
I believe that it depends on you and the shape of your foot; I don't think there's one brand that's universally comfortable.

I've had good luck with Cole Haan with Nike Air Cushion Soles, the much cheaper Guess brand are comfortable for me and the much more expensive Jimmy Choos. A little platform makes it more comfortable and takes weight off the metatarsals. Patent leather tends not to stretch as much so can be more uncomfortable. A good cobbler can help with things like lengthening straps, stretching, padding inside shoes (which can also be done with inserts purchased at the drugstore).

Reactions: 3 users
Well having never tried on men's shoes, I'll have to trust you on that LOL

I believe that it depends on you and the shape of your foot; I don't think there's one brand that's universally comfortable.

I've had good luck with Cole Haan with Nike Air Cushion Soles, the much cheaper Guess brand are comfortable for me and the much more expensive Jimmy Choos. A little platform makes it more comfortable and takes weight off the metatarsals. Patent leather tends not to stretch as much so can be more uncomfortable. A good cobbler can help with things like lengthening straps, stretching, padding inside shoes (which can also be done with inserts purchased at the drugstore).
I can't even begin to imagine whether or not my foot would be comfortable in heels, as I have never been able to walk in them without looking like I have some sort of motor dysfunction or straight-up broken ankles. I don't understand how people do it. I'm fairly athletic and coordinated, and have never been called clumsy...until you put me in heels or skis. Then, suddenly, my complete lack of ankle control becomes apparent. I've actually tried practicing heel-walking, but no go. And honestly, I don't want to be good at it (which is probably my biggest issue) because they are so not 'me' that to wear them would just make me uncomfortable. I don't mind wearing nice clothes - I enjoy it. I feel off-kilter and ridiculous when I wear heels.

I figure that walking awkwardly and/or falling would be a much bigger interview faux pas than simply not wearing heels, so that's my plan.

Then again, I also have no plans to wear makeup (never owned any, never put any on myself, and my mother doesn't have any, so I'd probably end up looking like a clown if I tried it out suddenly...and again, I dislike the look and it makes me feel stiff and awkward). Between those two things, compared to the default in this thread I am apparently going to look like this:
02fc1d7ac1aac109ddb85c354c27c2c6.jpg

What is SDN's opinion on a skirt or pants with a non-matching jacket? Still "matching" in the sense that it doesn't clash, but not a suit (e.g. a grey jacket with a navy skirt). I saw this on more than a few women on the interview trail.

I know women who say "let me get my face on," which scares me. I know women who sleep (actually sleep, not frolic with company) in padded bras. I know women who teeter as they propel themselves on their heels, but can't imagine foregoing those shoes. I know women with recurrent yeast infections and persistent sores on some pretty tender flesh who "can't go out" with armor made of Spanx. I know more than one woman sent home from work (!!) because she was running late getting to work one day and was sent home by her boss when she arrived because, without her make-up, she "looked really sick." Good grooming and appropriate dressing--required. Knowing how to appear to your best advantage--wise. Paint and painful props--optional. You are a young athlete, and your youth (younger than the interviewers, generally) and fitness are natural advantages. Even in the photo you sent, the woman needs just a good scrub and a change of clothing, really. I'm imagining you more along the lines of, say,
img_0323.jpg

Hmm.. Before I attended any interview, I was on the side of "why should I wear make up? What does make up has to do with being professional?"

After several IV and reading this thread, my thoughts changed a bit. I think it is a form of appreciation to our interviewers and their institutions to appear neat and put together. Like we put some serious thoughtful effort to prepare the best we can. Also, most of other interviewees wear soft make up. Without any we will be distinguished, not necessarily in a good way.

Winged Scapula put it nicely a while back, that she is not just interviewing potential resident, but also future colleague that will have to represent her institution in a formal event (like symposiums etc). And interviewers expect someone that will be able to look professional and someone that they will be proud to have to represent them.

If you have natural beauty, it is in your favor. But if not, just wear minimal make up. What I did was using BB cream, blush on, and soft colored lipstick. That's it.

Thanks to the mods and senior member who shared their thoughts and helped me figured interview appropriate appearance.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Before I attended any interview, I was on the side of "why should I wear make up? What does make up has to do with being professional?"

After several IV, my thoughts changed a bit. I think it is a form of appreciation to our interviewers and their institutions to appear neat and put together. Like we put some serious thoughtful effort to prepare the best we can. Also, most of other interviewees wear soft make up. Without any we will be distinguished, not necessarily in a good way.

If you have natural beauty, it is in your favor. But if not, just wear minimal make up. What I did was using BB cream, blush on, and soft colored lipstick. That's it.

Thanks to the mods and senior member who shared their thoughts and helped me figured interview appropriate appearance.
To be clear--I wasn't saying NO MAKEUP. Interesting to note, however, that ideas of what constitutes "minimal" also differ so dramatically. For me, I wear a bit of mascara and maybe a swoop of blush. No lipstick. So. . .well-groomed. See what that means in the context, for you as an individual. Sort of like standard dosages of meds have to be adjusted for particular patients, even though the weight guidelines might indicate something different. Anyway. . .this is one of those philosophical debates. If I did not appreciate the advice here, I would not be here. I benefit from what experienced folks counsel. And I also make my own assessment in my own mirror!

For the record, my post wasn't directed to you (BengaliBrat) personally.. :)

It's more of a reflection on my side after I concluded my interview season. I started the IV season not knowing what's appropriate and what's not. I wasn't excited to have to wear make up since normally I don't use any. So my post was how my point of view changed after a series of interview.

About minimal make up, I agree it would be different person to person. My minimal may be too minimal for some.

Anyways, good luck to those who are about to interview!

ETA: eye make up is something I wish I have the skill needed to do it nicely. I guess I'm late in learning make up..

Last edited:
For the record, my post wasn't directed to you (BengaliBrat) personally.. :)

It's more of a reflection on my side after I concluded my interview season. I started the IV season not knowing what's appropriate and what's not. I wasn't excited to have to wear make up since normally I don't use any. So my post was how my point of view changed after a series of interview.

About minimal make up, I agree it would be different person to person. My minimal may be too minimal for some.

Anyways, good luck to those who are about to interview!
@choc_mint, I know that (as your name implies!!!) you are sweet, delicious, with just enough bite to add to the excitement!! :p So I wasn't "taking umbrage." (That phrase, for some reason, always makes me think of grabbing battered brown suitcases by mistake.) Obviously, I follow this thread closely, and just as I run my mouth in person, "run my fingers" here just to chat. I absolutely agree with what you said. I don't normally wear make-up and I dress "sensibly" but not sloppily, and when my helicopter parents :roflcopter: started giving me the benefit of their unasked-for opinions when interview season began, I was not so receptive. :rolleyes: But, seriously, as I read here and looked around at fashion disasters (female AND male), I recognized that I needed to edge a bit closer to what was expected of me. I can rant about pantyhose, but didn't go bare-legged to interviews. I can get self-righteous about how wearing my (really long) hair down should not affect my chances to go to medical school, but I braided it, put it into a bun, or pulled it back and secured it before appearing in person. It's about showing that we do know how to adapt to reasonable expectations, respect them even when our opinions differ, and not be rebels without a cause.

I apologize if I came off sounding as if I didn't like your post. I meant only to listen carefully and consider and then to decide, whatever the course of action. Sending you only good stuff (except for the fact that your name has made me start thinking about Girl Scout cookies and those Thin Mints. That's unforgivable! :))

I can't even begin to imagine whether or not my foot would be comfortable in heels, as I have never been able to walk in them without looking like I have some sort of motor dysfunction or straight-up broken ankles. I don't understand how people do it. I'm fairly athletic and coordinated, and have never been called clumsy...until you put me in heels or skis. Then, suddenly, my complete lack of ankle control becomes apparent. I've actually tried practicing heel-walking, but no go. And honestly, I don't want to be good at it (which is probably my biggest issue) because they are so not 'me' that to wear them would just make me uncomfortable. I don't mind wearing nice clothes - I enjoy it. I feel off-kilter and ridiculous when I wear heels.

I figure that walking awkwardly and/or falling would be a much bigger interview faux pas than simply not wearing heels, so that's my plan.

Then again, I also have no plans to wear makeup (never owned any, never put any on myself, and my mother doesn't have any, so I'd probably end up looking like a clown if I tried it out suddenly...and again, I dislike the look and it makes me feel stiff and awkward). Between those two things, compared to the default in this thread I am apparently going to look like this:
02fc1d7ac1aac109ddb85c354c27c2c6.jpg
LOL -- me thinks you doth protest too much as I believe that unless you have some congenital or traumatic deformity of the foot, you could do any thing you *wanted* to.

It's probably more likely, as you admitted yourself, you don't want to wear heels and makeup. There's nothing wrong with being out of your comfort zone but if you honestly feel you can't do it, then don't. I'm sure you'll look a tad better than envisioned above. ;)

What is SDN's opinion on a skirt or pants with a non-matching jacket? Still "matching" in the sense that it doesn't clash, but not a suit (e.g. a grey jacket with a navy skirt). I saw this on more than a few women on the interview trail.
The conventional wisdom is that it is less than desirable. The term you are looking for is "coordinating" not matching. Matching is considered more appropriate for interview.