Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, this is a very long thread, and this question may have been asked and answered already, but I was just wondering. How do interviewers feel about hair color? My hair is naturally black but I dipped dyed the bottom so that the bottom half is a bright red/magenta color. I was planning to cut it and recolor it black, which one of my friends who is already in med school agreed is the way to go, since her interviewers seemed very conservative. But a research fellow and OBGYN at the lab where I work is adamant that I leave it red, so that I can stand out more. I'm all for standing out, but I'm worried that walking in with such an obviously unnatrual hair color might make me seem unprofessional. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, this is a very long thread, and this question may have been asked and answered already, but I was just wondering. How do interviewers feel about hair color? My hair is naturally black but I dipped dyed the bottom so that the bottom half is a bright red/magenta color. I was planning to cut it and recolor it black, which one of my friends who is already in med school agreed is the way to go, since her interviewers seemed very conservative. But a research fellow and OBGYN at the lab where I work is adamant that I leave it red, so that I can stand out more. I'm all for standing out, but I'm worried that walking in with such an obviously unnatrual hair color might make me seem unprofessional. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Stick with natural. Some might like it, but some might really hate it. No one will have a strong opinion on plain black.

Reactions: 3 users

Oh you'd stand out all right!
But not in the way you're hoping for... Sorry

Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting the impression from this thread that the Number One Rule is try your best to look exactly like everyone else.

sorry if this has been asked before, but in the winter, do we just wear boots outside and change into heels for the interview? If so, where would we put those boots because they would probably not fit into a normal sized bag..

I would probably err on the conservative side and re color your hair black. I feel that an ombré black to bright red would probably be on the same level as a mismatched suit or something(not trying to be mean at all, sorry)

I have naturally black hair and have been blonde for a few years now, decided to get pink highlights through it that you could only see if my hair was up...or so I thought...till enough pts commented on my "new hair" that I went back to all blonde.

Reactions: 1 users
sorry if this has been asked before, but in the winter, do we just wear boots outside and change into heels for the interview? If so, where would we put those boots because they would probably not fit into a normal sized bag..

I would wear ugg moccasins outside and bring a plastic bag and put them in there and put that bag in your purse, they're small and squishy and should fit

Members don't see this ad :)

Please do not.

Its more likely you will stand out in a negative way.

One point that some miss is that if you are an outlier in regards to appearance you become ripe for more scrutiny. So the woman with "that hair" or "the red suit" can become a joke if their application is not above average.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm getting the impression from this thread that the Number One Rule is try your best to look exactly like everyone else.

I can see why it seems this way, and there's a bit of truth to it -- but there's also plenty of room in the 'business formal dress code' to inject a bit of personality. As @wingedscapula notes above,

"One point that some miss is that if you are an outlier in regards to appearance you become ripe for more scrutiny. So the woman with "that hair" or "the red suit" can become a joke if their application is not above average."
So, if your qualifications are decidedly above the average, and your interview appearance is "a bit different, but also decidedly above the average" then it can work in your favor. But if your "a bit different" decision on your outfit is a "miss" instead of a "hit", then what you've shown is either social misfit, careless research and lack of understanding or misplaced arrogance instead of standout confidence.

TL;DR: If your qualifications aren't in the top 25% of the interview pool, better to play it safe and wear the uniform.

Would it be appropriate to wear a set of pearl earrings (not dangly) with a matching necklace? I am going to be wearing a tailored navy skirt suit with a white blouse and 2" black heels with a closed toe.

Its a little bright for my tastes for this occasion. Also the sleeves are "neither here nor there". The shorter length and cuffs make it look more casual.

Traditional with navy is cordovan. But black is fine; blue will be too hard to match, don't even try. Yes, although a lover of high heels, more than 3" is too much for this occasion.

I've written a novel previously on these "totes". You aren't going to the beach and generally a more structured bag is preferred. But its not a make or break thing.

However, absolutely do not worry about the logo because 1) 7/8th of medical school faculty, even the women, will not recognize it, 2) its small and 3) you can always turn the logo toward your side so no one sees it.

I wasn't able to find your previous post on "totes". Is there anyway you could link to it, or post an image of this type of "preferred" bag? My concern was not having something big enough to hold a folder, etc.

Would it be appropriate to wear a set of pearl earrings (not dangly) with a matching necklace? I am going to be wearing a tailored navy skirt suit with a white blouse and 2" black heels with a closed toe.

Pearls are a classic, and totally appropriate.

I wasn't able to find your previous post on "totes". Is there anyway you could link to it, or post an image of this type of "preferred" bag? My concern was not having something big enough to hold a folder, etc.

The issue with "totes" is that they can easily be too large. (What's she got in there? How much stuff does she need for a half-day meeting?) There should be no way your tote could double-duty as a beach bag. In fact, even a 'regular small purse' and a portfolio or a portfolio alone (no purse) would be fine. If the only reason you're opting for a 'full sized' tote is to hold your portfolio, I'd suggest you look at half-sized portfolios. A half-size holds a 5" x 7" pad of paper and you can find a wide variety for not much $ in office supply stores. They're great for handouts that can be folded in half and big enough to write on.

The struggle to find bags that aren't humongous yet can hold heels/flats...

The struggle to find bags that aren't humongous yet can hold heels/flats...
It's really too bad that wedges aren't acceptable, it would be so much easier to wear the same shoes all day.
There is no way heels will fit in my purse. Maybe we can just bring spare shoes in a plastic bag and put them somewhere until we need them?

It's really too bad that wedges aren't acceptable, it would be so much easier to wear the same shoes all day.
There is no way heels will fit in my purse. Maybe we can just bring spare shoes in a plastic bag and put them somewhere until we need them?
I just got low/comfortable enough heels that I can walk in for a mile or 2. I'll have to have a back up plan for when winter weather hits...

I got Aerosole heels.

IT'S LIKE MY FEET ARE BEING HUGGED IN A CLOUD!
I just got low/comfortable enough heels that I can walk in for a mile or 2. I'll have to have a back up plan for when winter weather hits...
Sounds like I need to go shopping for some new shoes. My husband will be so happy :p

One pair of comfortable enough heels are really the best solution --

hey ladies! what do you think of this top with a navy suit? http://www.lechateau.com/style/jump...nt=0&categoryNav=true&selectedColor=Off+White
or this? http://www.lechateau.com/style/jump/Crêpe+de+Chine+Round+Neck+Blouse/productDetail/Tops/335021/cat38940830?navAction=&navCount=3&categoryNav=true&selectedColor=Off+White
or this :)
http://www.rosegal.com/blouses/ladylike-scoop-neck-short-sleeves-137955.html

I tried #2 on with the suit and it looked great, but the cut felt a little low, although observers insisted it was fine. #1 doesn't look as low cut but I might be imagining things

Last edited:
http://www.6pm.com/fitzwell-ellen-black-kid

I posted this awhile back, but I just got these shoes in and did my typical road test on them. I walked around campus and downtown for about an hour, then sprinted a block. They're solid shoes.

Anyways, I'm looking for someone to correct my assumptions:

1. It's okay to take off your blazer if you're wearing a long-sleeved blouse underneath
2. If you're wearing a sleeveless shell, keep the blazer on
3. It's uncommon to have a situation where your blazer will be off, except maybe a walking tour outside

I don't like the feeling of layers around my arms, and I hate overheating. If I'm wearing a wool suit (BP lightweight wool), should I go for a sleeveless shell or long-sleeved blouse (hoping to take my blazer off), especially if my first interview is in a hot place? If I'm planning on carrying a portfolio, can I wear a small cross-body bag to put all my other junk in?

Lots of questions. Enjoy the shoe rec.

I posted this awhile back, but I just got these shoes in and did my typical road test on them. I walked around campus and downtown for about an hour, then sprinted a block. They're solid shoes.

1. It's okay to take off your blazer if you're wearing a long-sleeved blouse underneath
3. It's uncommon to have a situation where your blazer will be off, except maybe a walking tour outside

I don't like the feeling of layers around my arms, and I hate overheating. If I'm wearing a wool suit (BP lightweight wool), should I go for a sleeveless shell or long-sleeved blouse (hoping to take my blazer off), especially if my first interview is in a hot place? If I'm planning on carrying a portfolio, can I wear a small cross-body bag to put all my other junk in?

I love your questions and am looking forward to seeing answers.

I know this is kind of unrelated but how far does being very pretty get you in an interview. I'm asking because I have a friend who honestly could be a model if she was taller. She is a size 2 but still curvy. She applied last year to 20 schools with a below average GPA and very below average MCAT. She only got one interview and she got in. She claims that she might have gotten in because everyone else that interviewed her day looked nerdy and average. I don't want someone with lower stats than me getting in just cuz they are prettier. btw she is white not a URM

I think it's okay to take of your blazer only if you are on the tour part outside and it is hot. I am under the impression it is OK regardless of the length of sleeves, or lack thereof.

hey ladies! what do you think of this top with a navy suit? http://www.lechateau.com/style/jump...nt=0&categoryNav=true&selectedColor=Off+White
or this? http://www.lechateau.com/style/jump/Crêpe+de+Chine+Round+Neck+Blouse/productDetail/Tops/335021/cat38940830?navAction=&navCount=3&categoryNav=true&selectedColor=Off+White

I tried #2 on with the suit and it looked great, but the cut felt a little low, although observers insisted it was fine. #1 doesn't look as low cut but I might be imagining things
I like #1 the best. Not #3--wayyyy too much going on. I can see how #2 would look ok, but I get more of a "going out" vibe from it.

I know this is kind of unrelated but how far does being very pretty get you in an interview. I'm asking because I have a friend who honestly could be a model if she was taller. She is a size 2 but still curvy. She applied last year to 20 schools with a below average GPA and very below average MCAT. She only got one interview and she got in. She claims that she might have gotten in because everyone else that interviewed her day looked nerdy and average. I don't want someone with lower stats than me getting in just cuz they are prettier. btw she is white not a URM
Just trust the admissions committees. They are quite intelligent. Pretty ladies don't necessarily make good doctors...

If she knows she's pretty, I would think the confidence and charisma that instilled in her makes her a good interview, and that likely helped her get in more than her looks alone.

With over 34,000 posts, it might take me awhile to find my numerous comments about totes.

But @DokterMom has got it absolutely correct: some applicants look like they're going camping what with all they're hauling. Makes me wonder what you've got in there, why you're so high maintenance, will you fall apart if you don't have all your *stuff*? A bit hyperbolic perhaps but totes are too casual appearing and some tend toward things large enough to pack weekend wear.

This (in black) is what I would consider appropriate: enough room for a small portfolio (if you must carry both), your keys, and even a pair of ballet flats (if you must).

With over 34,000 posts, it might take me awhile to find my numerous comments about totes.

But @DokterMom has got it absolutely correct: some applicants look like they're going camping what with all they're hauling. Makes me wonder what you've got in there, why you're so high maintenance, will you fall apart if you don't have all your *stuff*? A bit hyperbolic perhaps but totes are too casual appearing and some tend toward things large enough to pack weekend wear.

This (in black) is what I would consider appropriate: enough room for a small portfolio (if you must carry both), your keys, and even a pair of ballet flats (if you must).
Is a bag/portfolio even necessary? I'm not used to carrying anything really...if I find short, comfortable heels, can I just do the tour in those?

Is a bag/portfolio even necessary? I'm not used to carrying anything really...if I find short, comfortable heels, can I just do the tour in those?
Nope not necessary at all! Are you sure you won't need anything? What about your keys? Your ID, some money? Most places will give you a folder with information.

And yes, if you can find some comfortable shoes you can tour in them.

Nope not necessary at all! Are you sure you won't need anything? What about your keys? Your ID, some money? Most places will give you a folder with information.

And yes, if you can find some comfortable shoes you can tour in them.
You're right actually, I wouldn't want to carry the folders the whole time...
Thanks for posting a picture, it's very helpful :)

I'm sure its been asked before, but as a small person (5'1") how necessary is it that I find heels for my suit? I am much more comfortable in flats, and actually have an adorable pair already... but I'd rather not leave a significant impression of being small.

Recommendations?

I'm sure its been asked before, but as a small person (5'1") how necessary is it that I find heels for my suit? I am much more comfortable in flats, and actually have an adorable pair already... but I'd rather not leave a significant impression of being small.

Recommendations?

The most important thing you can do to avoid looking small is to have fabulous posture. Think tall, walk tall, head up and shoulders back and you'll actually look much taller. (People always overestimate my height by 4-5" because I naturally have good posture.)

That said, wearing flats will definitely work against you in this regard, and 'adorable' is not the look you're going for. As a small woman, the last thing you want to look like is an adorable little girl. Moderate heels if you can --

Honestly, I'm not liking any of these... What's with the 'peephole'? And the lace and pearls? Love it with jeans, but NOT for an interview.

None of those are appropriate. The first two run the risk of showing cleavage if you bend over & the last is too casual.

That looks like a nice (and useful) bag but I sure hope there is a cheaper alternative out there!

Tomboy here, no idea what I'm doing. First interview is next month (!!!) and I'd appreciate any input on my basic outfit plan. I'm about 5'5", more athletic build if that makes any difference. I'm planning on a dark gray/charcoal two button pant suit with a dark blue shirt. I'll more than likely wear black heels, not 100% sure of the type, though pumps have been recommended and I have some experience wearing them. My makeup would be erring towards natural, something simple which I can do by myself with confidence. I was also thinking of maybe some pearl earrings? Should earrings be dangly or is that considered unprofessional?

I also think I'll carry either a smaller black purse with a smaller portfolio and or just a portfolio by itself. Not sure what I'd do with my wallet phone or the very few essentials I usually have with me in the latter case.

Please let me know if I'm committing any faux pas. Thank you!

Tomboy here, no idea what I'm doing. First interview is next month (!!!) and I'd appreciate any input on my basic outfit plan. I'm about 5'5", more athletic build if that makes any difference. I'm planning on a dark gray/charcoal two button pant suit with a dark blue shirt. I'll more than likely wear black heels, not 100% sure of the type, though pumps have been recommended and I have some experience wearing them. My makeup would be erring towards natural, something simple which I can do by myself with confidence. I was also thinking of maybe some pearl earrings? Should earrings be dangly or is that considered unprofessional?

I also think I'll carry either a smaller black purse with a smaller portfolio and or just a portfolio by itself. Not sure what I'd do with my wallet phone or the very few essentials I usually have with me in the latter case.

Please let me know if I'm committing any faux pas. Thank you!
Contrast in either color or intensity between suit and blouse gives a more balanced effect. No dangly earrings.

@gyngyn , thanks for the response! So you'd suggest sticking with the darker blue if I go with a lighter gray? Would kind of a cornflower blue be too casual under a dark gray jacket? Something of a lighter color but not necessarily startlingly bright?​

@gyngyn , thanks for the response! So you'd suggest sticking with the darker blue if I go with a lighter gray? Would kind of a cornflower blue be too casual under a dark gray jacket? Something of a lighter color but not necessarily startlingly bright?​
Dark suit with light or jewel tone blouse, no ruffles, no prints, no lace.
Shirts that button rarely look as professional on women due to the lack of a tie to keep the collar aligned (and the pucker between buttons).