Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wool peacoat mid thigh length.

:thumbup:

One thing I haven't seen addressed at all (probably because it's not yet cold out): Some of us who live in hot climates and thus do not own anything in the realm of "winter coat" are going to really struggle come winter interviews up north. What's the best kind of coat to purchase that will still be professional? What do people do about shoes? I applied to a couple of places where snow is a definite possibility.

This is my dress wintercoat, but in black:

23854038.jpg"

As for shoes, I'd wear solid, leather, rubber-soled shoes. You can find stable shoes that are flats, pumps, or boots that are dressy and still meet this description.

What is an appropriate slit length for skirts? I have a knee-length suit skirt with a 7-inch slit in the back. Here it is:http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...ork+Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=
Is this okay?

Also, here's the jacket I got to match (in black, not beige):http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...al+Suiting&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=
I think the pleats in the back make it look more feminine, but it's still professional. What do you think?

I haven't had much luck finding plain button-up shirts that fit me. Do you think something like this would be okay, as long as I don't take my blazer off? http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...lls++Camis&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

The skirt and jacket look very nice, but you need to pin/baste the slit to 3-4 inches long. Since the slit evolves straight into a seam and the skirt doesn't look too tight, this is an easy temporary fix for interviews.

I'd be considered about showing cleavage in the front with the blouse you linked. Unless you're very small busted, you will give your interviewers an eyeful if you lean forward at all. Consider putting a cami under it, or selecting a blouse that is cut straight across the chest instead of a vee.

where's a good site to find suits where either you can pick the top/bottom sizes when you buy (it seems like overstock for example you just buy a size 10 suit set... ummmm... i might not have been blessed with such symmetry), or that sells the pieces separately but it's easy to see which pieces go with which (to make sure they are the same color/fabric/etc...)

i am not super fashionable so i'm a little worried about building my own here... i'd like to get things that go together but i prob need a larger size on bottom...

Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Talbots, The Limited, and J Crew all sell their suits like this. They also frequently have online sales where you can snag the suits for ~30% off if you keep an eye out a few months before your interview.

alternatively, i have a black skirt and green wool blazer (the kinda darkish/neutral green). the fabric type match isn't perfect but it's not like polyester and wool... so if i wore this, ladies, please tell me what color should go under that blazer?

i assume a cream color would be ok... something brighter might even be fine bc the black and green are already neutrally but i dunno what... i wear a hoody 24/7 so my radar is not tuned..

the green is like this-ish
http://blashionista.com/wp-content/...Black-Tie-White-Shirt-June-7-2011-500x375.jpg
http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_170x135.208719850.jpg
http://www.marcchehab.org/frozenmist/tissue/TiZeta_greenWool.jpg

thanks for any direction :oops:

If the blazer is in an accent color, the fabrics do not have to match. If one fabric is a heavier weight than the other, I think it looks best if that is the fabric on the blazer. I'm having a hard time visualizing what color your blazer is exactly, but I think a cream would be nice since the jacket appears to have plenty of color. A very pale blue, light grey, or light beige may work as well.

Members don't see this ad.

What is an appropriate slit length for skirts? I have a knee-length suit skirt with a 7-inch slit in the back. Here it is:http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...ork+Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=
Is this okay?

Also, here's the jacket I got to match (in black, not beige):http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...al+Suiting&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=
I think the pleats in the back make it look more feminine, but it's still professional. What do you think?

I haven't had much luck finding plain button-up shirts that fit me. Do you think something like this would be okay, as long as I don't take my blazer off? http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.co...lls++Camis&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

I'm not the most up on fashion and rules, but I personally like that combination. There are a lot of suggestions to tone down the femininity of things for interviews, but I feel like that's a good balance - the black and white is pretty neutral, but the ruffles/pleats make it a little more feminine.

With regard to the slit, here's what I'd do. Find a friend you trust and who is maybe a little conservative. Walk up stairs in front of him/her. Ask if you're showing too much leg. The appropriateness of a 7" slit really depends on your body and how the skirt fits and moves on you, I think.

alternatively, i have a black skirt and green wool blazer (the kinda darkish/neutral green). the fabric type match isn't perfect but it's not like polyester and wool... so if i wore this, ladies, please tell me what color should go under that blazer?

i assume a cream color would be ok... something brighter might even be fine bc the black and green are already neutrally but i dunno what... i wear a hoody 24/7 so my radar is not tuned..

the green is like this-ish
http://blashionista.com/wp-content/...Black-Tie-White-Shirt-June-7-2011-500x375.jpg
http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_170x135.208719850.jpg
http://www.marcchehab.org/frozenmist/tissue/TiZeta_greenWool.jpg

thanks for any direction :oops:
No idea - I suck at color combos. I just wanted to say that I love that this was your example:
LeBron-James-NBA-Finals-Post-Game-Press-Confererence-Interviews-Green-Blazer-Black-Tie-White-Shirt-June-7-2011-500x375.jpg

Ditto this. It's pretty much exactly what I did. My suit was black and had fine pinstripes. I had wanted grey but when I was trying suits on I felt best in this one. I'm also well endowed up top and I gave up on the button down a long time ago; they never fit me right. I wore a silk-blend shell underneath my jacket in a bright purple/pink kind of color. The neckline was also high enough that I wasn't worried about flashing cleavage.

Awesome! I love those shoes so much. :D

I can't emphasize it enough...tailoring, tailoring, tailoring. I feel your pain--I am not the bustiest of girls but I'm far from flat-chested, and even I have huge problems finding button down shirts that fit. If they fit around the bust, they will be too big at the waist. I don't understand why they don't make women's shirts that fit actual women. :rolleyes: But any good tailor can fix this for you. Buy a size that fits you around the bust, and take it to an alterations place so they can take it in at the waist. It might cost you $15 or $20 and it's totally worth it to have a shirt that really fits.

And it's okay to have a black suit, if it fits you well and looks good on you! I would just suggest wearing a bright-colored shirt underneath and maybe some unique (but not distracting) accessories. You don't have to wear a button down shirt, either. Try a tank top or blouse under your shirt in a bright color with some embellishment and you'll stand out despite the black suit.

Thank you, ladies! I will check into tailoring. I will also see what I can find in terms of shells. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay to wear a striped shirt under a solid colored suit? I know that when it comes to menswear, striped shirts are considered less formal, but I don't know if the same rules apply to women.

Is it okay to wear a striped shirt under a solid colored suit? I know that when it comes to menswear, striped shirts are considered less formal, but I don't know if the same rules apply to women.

I think it would be fine, but I would use the following guidelines:

1) Stripes should be thin and vertical.

2) The stripe colors should either be different shades of the same color OR one color of stripe on a neutral background. Complementary pinstriping for stripe borders are acceptable.

The goal is not to look like an easter egg or Joseph"s technicolor dream coat :)

I wouldn't see an issue with it. Then again, I'm a libertarian when it comes to fashion. :D

Fashion libertarian...haha love it!

Last edited:
thanks so much ladies! and don't laugh at my burly dude example!! the color was about right :p i will do my best to not look too much like that guy on my interviews...

Thank you everyone for posting this information. Very good to know. My mom found something like this for me...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...68&CategoryID=39096&LinkType=#fn=sp=2&spc=238

Is a cream/ivory colored skirt suit okay? Everyone on here is posting about gray, black, or navy blue suits...

A cream colored suit would make me horribly nervous, because I'm sure I would spill coffee on it five minutes before my interview. If, however, you do not have coordination problems when nervous, I think it would look nice.

so the length of pant is adjusted with my heels height. When I put flats on for the tour, the pants will be long, what do i do? how to fold it up and still look appropriate?

so the length of pant is adjusted with my heels height. When I put flats on for the tour, the pants will be long, what do i do? how to fold it up and still look appropriate?

There are these things called Style Snaps (or something to that effect) that you can stick to the inside of your pants to convert from one hem length to another. I can't speak to how well they work because I have never used them myself, but they seem a little more convenient and a lot less messy than just trying to tape them up at the last second.

Thank you everyone for posting this information. Very good to know. My mom found something like this for me...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...68&CategoryID=39096&LinkType=#fn=sp=2&spc=238

Is a cream/ivory colored skirt suit okay? Everyone on here is posting about gray, black, or navy blue suits...

That is advertised as "white" and it looks "white". I think it would be a bad choice for fall and winter in cold climates... it just looks like a summer suit. There is a color called "winter white" usually wool that is on the yellow side of white. That's ok for winter provided that you aren't a klutz. However, in seeing every applicant for three solid years, I can't say that I ever saw a winter white suit. Black is most common, gray is a runner-up, blue is rare. The other colors are almost unheard of. I do recall an applicant who wore a pink suit.

I have 4 interviews coming up and 2 of them are in August/September in hot places (Florida and Arizona). Will I look bad in a pant suit? Im not fashionable at all so I'm kinda freaking out about the interview outfit already. I have a black BR pants suit that I like...I'm not the best at crossing my legs etc in a skirt and dont want to have to deal with wearing a skirt all day.. Im just afraid it will look out of place wearing pants when its so hot out.
Also for under the suit jacket...from previous posts it looks like a shell or tank top is ok as long as its not cleavage bearing? Im not planning on taking my suit jacket off, but the only collared shirt I have is long sleeves and Im not willing to wear that plus a suit jacket when its so hot out.
I have a beigeish/pink ruffled tank top from express Im thinking about wearing under it, but Im going to go shopping today to see if I can find something better...
also Im 5'2 so I feel like I have to wear heels (I'm also in the category of being told I look 14). I would be more comfortable in flats (thats what i wear when I shadow..) but hopefully I can pull off heels for a day...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have designer suggestions for tall ladies? I went shopping two days ago at Macys thinking they would have a little of everything for me to play around with but I couldn't find anything that fits properly. I don't have a problem going to the tailors but from what I've tried on pants wise, they would have to take in almost half the pant width in order for the length to be right! I wouldn't call myself super skinny or anything but I am 5'11" and on the thin side. Thanks!

OMG I love it so much. So pretty! :love: My coloring is a lot like that model's, and I look so much better in light colors. I wish white/cream suits were okay to wear... :(

So pretty! I can't believe I didn't even think of a white suit! I'm fair and blonde and look way better in lighter colors than black or navy blue. So if we were to find something in "winter white" as LizzyM suggests, that would be acceptable? Clearly I am new to suit shopping.

I would highly, highly recommend for you NOT to wear a white suit, not even winter white, for several reasons:

- White will show EVERY splatter or spill...what if your tour is before your interview? Or if your interview is after lunch? Or if you have to walk through less than ideal weather to get to campus? Or if you sit down on chair/bench with something on it? Even if you're a very coordinated person, do you really want to take that chance on such an important day?

- White suits are typically worn in the summer or tropics, and many male interviewers won't recognize that the suit you're wearing is "ok" for colder weather because it's "winter white."

- White suits are appropriate for social or celebratory events...ceremonies, receptions, banquets, luncheons, cocktail hours, etc...NOT interviews.

- White is not a power color, and you may be subconsciously not taken as seriously by your interviewers in a sea of more serious colors.

- And lastly, a white suit almost makes me think of an over-eager interviewee taking the "white coat" idea to the extreme...(not trying to imply this was the poster's intent!)

Does anyone have designer suggestions for tall ladies? I went shopping two days ago at Macys thinking they would have a little of everything for me to play around with but I couldn't find anything that fits properly. I don't have a problem going to the tailors but from what I've tried on pants wise, they would have to take in almost half the pant width in order for the length to be right! I wouldn't call myself super skinny or anything but I am 5'11" and on the thin side. Thanks!

I think many of the designers that have been thrown out in earlier posts...Banana, Ann Taylor, Talbot's, The Limited, J Crew...all make suit separates with at least bottoms in tall.

I have 4 interviews coming up and 2 of them are in August/September in hot places (Florida and Arizona). Will I look bad in a pant suit? Im not fashionable at all so I'm kinda freaking out about the interview outfit already. I have a black BR pants suit that I like...I'm not the best at crossing my legs etc in a skirt and dont want to have to deal with wearing a skirt all day.. Im just afraid it will look out of place wearing pants when its so hot out.
Also for under the suit jacket...from previous posts it looks like a shell or tank top is ok as long as its not cleavage bearing? Im not planning on taking my suit jacket off, but the only collared shirt I have is long sleeves and Im not willing to wear that plus a suit jacket when its so hot out.
I have a beigeish/pink ruffled tank top from express Im thinking about wearing under it, but Im going to go shopping today to see if I can find something better...
also Im 5'2 so I feel like I have to wear heels (I'm also in the category of being told I look 14). I would be more comfortable in flats (thats what i wear when I shadow..) but hopefully I can pull off heels for a day...

You won't look out of place in pants (every single male will be wearing them!), so it's totally your call if you'll be more comfortable in pants or a skirt with pantyhose (neither will be exactly cool).

If you want to wear a ruffled shirt, make sure you try it on with your suit jacket both buttoned and unbuttoned. If you're concerned about the heat, what about looking for a 1/2 length sleeve blouse so you could remove your jacket and still look appropriate? The BR jacket sleeves are primarily elastin-lined so a breezier blouse with some sleeves might be just as cool underneath the jacket as a sleeveless shell.

You don't have to wear heels, but if you think they'll make you feel more confident, look for a pair with cushioned soles and chunkier heel for added comfort and stability. You can always wear flats on the tour.

I've had someone advise me against wearing anything to interviews that's obviously expensive (ex. a well-known logo). However, I have a pair of black Tory Burch flats that would be perfect for changing into for walking tours that I'd like to wear...

I'd like to hear some of your opinions!

I've had someone advise me against wearing anything to interviews that's obviously expensive (ex. a well-known logo). However, I have a pair of black Tory Burch flats that would be perfect for changing into for walking tours that I'd like to wear...

I've never heard of them, so there's that (though I don't tend to buy expensive anything, so there's that as well).

I took a look at their site - none of the flats looked like they had a logo on them, or at least nothing obnoxious. I would think they'd be fine.

Was the advice more in the context of things like Coach and Louis Vuitton where there are big labels splashed across the whole thing. If it's just a high-quality piece of clothing, I can't imagine someone looking down on that.

If they were the one of the styles with the Tory Burch "t" metal plate across the toes, I would insta-recognize them--but I'm probably going to be the exception. I think you're fine here, especially considering it's a lesser known logo all the way down at your feet, and only for walking tours.

With the no logo rule, the key is to use good judgement. For example, logo prints are probably a logo no-go: a coach bag with the "C" print vs. one with just the small carriage plate at the top. I'd also avoid disproportionately large logos: polo shirts with the oversized horse vs. one with a normal horse.

One warning though, I'd consider bringing a spare pair of less nice flats with you at least while you travel. That way, if the weather is nasty on interview day, you won't have only your nice flats to bring for the tours.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, thanks for the advice! Yeah I think the advice was more geared towards job interviews. I think the rationale is that if you're wearing obviously expensive clothes or jewelry the interviewer might be inclined to think that don't need a job? Or that' you're high-maintenance or something.

Another question: any opinion on whether or not it's okay to wear nude-colored pumps with a black or grey skirt suit?

And yes, they were the Tory Burch reva flats with the huge gold medallion on the front haha

Last edited:

Not at all. I went to an interview with 95 degree weather and a majority of the female interviewees wore pantsuits (including me). Besides, your pantsuit will come in handy for any cold weather interviews you get. I also think I would look weird in a skirt suit.

The shell top tank under the suit would be fine as long as you don't take off the jacket. But I wore a nice blouse (not a collared button-up) with short sleeves so I could take the jacket off during the tour/lunch.

What's the best way to travel with suits? I have looked for carry-on rolling bags that have a built-in garment bag. I found a few, but they are very expensive and I'm not convinced that a fold-up garment bag is any better than just folding the suit and putting it in a suitcase. I don't want to use a separate garment bag, because then I would have to check one of my items, and that just makes me nervous.
I've heard of a few tricks, such as wrapping the suit in a towel before folding it into a regular suitcase. Does anybody know if this works? I'm going to take a mini steamer with me, so minor wrinkles shouldn't be much of a problem. How are other ladies planning to travel with their suits?

So a lot of people have mentioned that Theory suits are really nice. I'm still not sure if I'm going to spend that much $ yet, but does anyone else think that the skirt on this one is way too short?
http://www.theory.com/womens-blazer...2_color=M0K&start=4&cgid=womens-jackets-coats

In my experience with job interviews (not at the med school lvl yet hehe), all skirts should be at or below the knees. Anything above the knees is showing a bit much, especially when you sit down. Below the knees gives a conservative look, above gives a more sexual look...imo

In my experience with job interviews (not at the med school lvl yet hehe), all skirts should be at or below the knees. Anything above the knees is showing a bit much, especially when you sit down. Below the knees gives a conservative look, above gives a more sexual look...imo
:thumbup:

noob question here.... undershirts!!

Is an undershirt necessary? I will be wearing a light blue dress shirt and a grey suit. I will be indoors most of the day, but it will be pretty hot outside (85+ degrees).

Pros/cons to undershirt?

Women get expensive even when they go to an interview...

Men can just wake up, throw on the nicest suit they have and arrive early to the interview. On the other hand, women take years to be prepared and arrive at the interview late. I guess the average women look better than most men so I guess that can compensate for the late arrival. lol

Another question: any opinion on whether or not it's okay to wear nude-colored pumps with a black or grey skirt suit?

Nude pumps are trendy, I'd stay away. I love the look, but the whole emphasis on the long, sexy leg that they give isn't exactly interview appropriate. Black is your best bet.

What's the best way to travel with suits? I have looked for carry-on rolling bags that have a built-in garment bag. I found a few, but they are very expensive and I'm not convinced that a fold-up garment bag is any better than just folding the suit and putting it in a suitcase. I don't want to use a separate garment bag, because then I would have to check one of my items, and that just makes me nervous.
I've heard of a few tricks, such as wrapping the suit in a towel before folding it into a regular suitcase. Does anybody know if this works? I'm going to take a mini steamer with me, so minor wrinkles shouldn't be much of a problem. How are other ladies planning to travel with their suits?

My bag (the Victorinox Mobilizer 5.0 NXT) has a zip-in suiter that is amazing. My button downs even come out completely wrinkle free. If you don't want to spring for the bag, I'd think you could replicate the suiter's action by laying your suit between two towels, folding the towel sandwich into thirds, and then laying it on TOP of the rest of your clothing. (Check out the link for a picture of how a built-in folds up.)

So a lot of people have mentioned that Theory suits are really nice. I'm still not sure if I'm going to spend that much $ yet, but does anyone else think that the skirt on this one is way too short?
http://www.theory.com/womens-blazer...2_color=M0K&start=4&cgid=womens-jackets-coats

Definitely too short.

Is an undershirt necessary? I will be wearing a light blue dress shirt and a grey suit. I will be indoors most of the day, but it will be pretty hot outside (85+ degrees).

Pros/cons to undershirt?

Pros: Hide VBLs (Visible Bra Lines) and other undesirable bulges, make shear shirts appropriate
Cons: Warm (could be pro in cold weather) and add bulk under shirt/jacket

Not necessary if your shirt is not shear (unless VBLS are out of control and you want to take your jacket off).

Thinking about wearing a tie. Like so: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00lejETBbsncqL/Women-s-Suit-1-.jpg

I think it looks awesome, but I might be completely wrong here. Opinions?

This also looks trendy to me, and generally, I'd stay away from trendy.

Reactions: 1 user

Pros/cons to undershirt?

OOps i thought this was the MEN's clothing thread.... :oops:

Pros: Hide VBLs (Visible Bra Lines) and other undesirable bulges, make shear shirts appropriate
Cons: Warm (could be pro in cold weather) and add bulk under shirt/jacket

Lol I saw this and thought you wrote VDL... as in very dense lipoprotein :( (and then I spent like 10 min trying to figure out if that particular combination actually existed) MCAT is taking over my life!

Jewelry: I understand that pearls are great, but I'm hesitant to go buy a string of pearls just for interview purposes, partially because I somehow have eyes of a hawk when it comes to them and really cannot stand fakes or imperfect pearls, and partially because they highlight my yellow skin tone. Does anybody have any examples of pendants that look formal enough?

Lastly: silk scarves. Good for a splash of color or too casual?

Kind of like how Ellen Kullman wears it here:
EllenKullman2-150x150.jpg

except in more subdued patterns.

Christine Lagarde:
christine-lagarde.jpg

Last edited:
Geez, I just got out of control and read this entire thread. I love fashion.

Couple of questions, though:
1. I bought two suits and one of them is a skirt suit. It wasn't until I got it home and strutted around my house in it for about an hour feeling sexay that I remembered I have a tattoo on my ankle. Whoops. So, I'm assuming that visible tatttoos are bad juju (correct me if I'm wrong), in which case, I need a good tattoo concealing make-up. Suggestions?

2. Lots of you have mentioned switching from heels to flats for the tours, etc. My question is what do you do with the shoes that you aren't currently wearing? I don't want to be sprinting back and forth to my car or carrying a pair of heels in my hand while traipsing around campus...

3. Ahem, wtf is a shell? >_>

1. I bought two suits and one of them is a skirt suit. It wasn't until I got it home and strutted around my house in it for about an hour feeling sexay that I remembered I have a tattoo on my ankle. Whoops. So, I'm assuming that visible tatttoos are bad juju (correct me if I'm wrong), in which case, I need a good tattoo concealing make-up. Suggestions?

Dermablend body concealer. Some people will recommend Kat Von D, but I feel like Dermablend has more staying power. I bought mine at Ulta. :)

Dermablend body concealer. Some people will recommend Kat Von D, but I feel like Dermablend has more staying power. I bought mine at Ulta. :)

Can you get either of those at any other retail stores (the nearest Ulta to me is over an hour away)? I have no idea what shade I should get, so I would want to be able to compare it to my skin, which I can't do online.

Can you get either of those at any other retail stores (the nearest Ulta to me is over an hour away)? I have no idea what shade I should get, so I would want to be able to compare it to my skin, which I can't do online.

http://www.dermablend.com/stores/
I've seen Dermablend at Macy's.

I know they have Kat Von D at Sephora, but I wasn't able to find a store locator.. so maybe it's a Sephora exclusive?

Geez, I just got out of control and read this entire thread. I love fashion.

2. Lots of you have mentioned switching from heels to flats for the tours, etc. My question is what do you do with the shoes that you aren't currently wearing? I don't want to be sprinting back and forth to my car or carrying a pair of heels in my hand while traipsing around campus...

3. Ahem, wtf is a shell? >_>

Keep them in your tote/bag.

What do you guys think of these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-janae-pump

Tried them on in-store and they're super comfy. The heel is a little high I suppose but since I'm really short I like that about them. Does anyone think they're too high to be professional?

What do you guys think of these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-janae-pump

Tried them on in-store and they're super comfy. The heel is a little high I suppose but since I'm really short I like that about them. Does anyone think they're too high to be professional?

I like those a lot! I don't think they're too high at all, with the platform and thicker heel. They look very professional to me. I understand the plight of the short. :D

just found this suit at The Limited which was great because they have matching pants, so even though i don't plan on doing the pant suit for the interview I'll have it for later.

http://www.thelimited.com/detail/seam-pocket-jacket/2509389

this may be a ridiculous question but... do you wear the jacket buttoned up or leave it open with the shell underneath? Also, anyone have any suggestions on where to find a nice shirt for underneath that is not a button down shirt? My interview is in sept in louisiana, and it is way too hot for anything long sleeved

this may be a ridiculous question but... do you wear the jacket buttoned up or leave it open with the shell underneath? Also, anyone have any suggestions on where to find a nice shirt for underneath that is not a button down shirt? My interview is in sept in louisiana, and it is way too hot for anything long sleeved

You button the jacket (either just the middle button or the middle+top buttons buttoned) when standing, and unbutton it when seated. If you don't want to switch around between the two, I'd go with buttoned the whole time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is OK to wear black heels with a navy suit, correct? I looked online and everyone seemed to say this was a "classic" look and was perfectly fine, but some of my mom's coworkers were saying that is was not OK. I'd hate to wear it and have an interviewer think it's a faux pas.

Read through this great thread but wanted to ask another question...i went with a skirt suit but now i have interviews up north in october/november...is a skirt suit still appropriate? of course i'm wearing hose and a coat but will a skirt look ridiculous?

Any suggestions for shopping on a super tight budget? How about for short ladies?

Great thread, thanks for all the info!