Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For shells, basically something like this?
img-thing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm trying to finalize the accessories that will go with my navy pantsuit (haven't decided what top to wear underneath it yet either... sigh).

For shoes, I have these flats (in black) that are very comfortable, but I'm worried they don't look professional enough. I also have these heels, and I've walked in them for around two hours and found them comfortable as well, but I don't know if the color is professional or goes with a navy suit.

For earrings, I have earrings similar to these (mine are round diamond studs with one dangling pearl). Because the pearl is dangling, would I not be able to wear them?

And finally, is a briefcase-type bag like this one suitable for a woman?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm trying to finalize the accessories that will go with my navy pantsuit (haven't decided what top to wear underneath it yet either... sigh).

For shoes, I have these flats (in black) that are very comfortable, but I'm worried they don't look professional enough. I also have these heels, and I've walked in them for around two hours and found them comfortable as well, but I don't know if the color is professional or goes with a navy suit.

For earrings, I have earrings similar to these (mine are round diamond studs with one dangling pearl). Because the pearl is dangling, would I not be able to wear them?

Oh I love that first pair of shoes so much!! What brand are they?

My pearl earrings are similar to what you showed so I'm also interested in knowing if they're OK.

Studs or buttons are fine, nothing below the lobe.
Only one piercing (in use).
Hospitals often have this in their dress codes.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I love that first pair of shoes so much!! What brand are they?

Old Navy!

Studs or buttons are fine, nothing below the lobe.
Only one piercing (in use).
Hospitals often have this in their dress codes.

Thank you! I probably won't use those then, I'll just wear some plain stud earrings. Any comments on the shoes or bag?

Old Navy!

Thank you! I probably won't use those then, I'll just wear some plain stud earrings. Any comments on the shoes or bag?
Can't believe they're old navy! Unfortunately I don't think old navy makes shoes in my size. Oh well.

I'd say it's a very nice shell, but not right for this interview. The jade green one with the soft pleats directly above your post is perfect, really. A nice color, feminine but not too girlish, a relief from the funeral colors. A cut that's soft, professional, not too revealing, simple without being boring.

You seem to be drawn to shells with built-in bling -- pearls, peepholes, metal accents. For this interview, go plainer. Let your jewelry be your jewelry, and if you don't have the right jewelry, don't wear any jewelry at all -- that's really OK too.

Reactions: 3 users
what should i do with my nose ring? I have a small stud. I can take it out but it leaves a hole in my nose. The stud looks way better than the hole. I'm indian so i think it has some cultural significance lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I like the heels, actually, assuming they coordinate with your shirt in some way. It's not the usual color to go with navy, but if the colors play well together in person, I think they're fine. It's a quiet, neutral shade...

The earrings read 'formal night' -- you want 'business', so studs or buttons - no dangles.

Is that the exact bag? Or similar. The 'type' of bag is not a problem, but there is something about that particular one I'm not loving...

The flats (and in that color) are not appropriate; I'm not loving the heels in that color with a navy suit. Having a lighter shoe on the bottom is leg shortening and wold not be seasonally appropriate. Cordovan (or wine color for those who've not heard this term before) is better, black ok; I could even get behind a camel with matching bag.

Yep. the dangly pearl and rhinestones make it evening wear not interview appropriate.

Its ok but like @DokterMom I'm not loving it - I think its because its a bit shiny but not patent. Its neither here nor there and the slight sheen makes it more casual and <ahem> cheap looking IMHO.

what should i do with my nose ring? I have a small stud. I can take it out but it leaves a hole in my nose. The stud looks way better than the hole. I'm indian so i think it has some cultural significance lol
I think its fine to wear a small stud given your East Indian heritage; however, there are skin color inserts which you could look into which might be a good compromise if you're worried.

I'm starting to see why our young/less fashion savvy members are having trouble. Just for the fun of it, I Google "Women's professional business suits" and these are the images I get:

TWO.jpg SEVEN.jpg SIX.jpg FOUR.jpg FIVE.png

The Asian ones makes me wonder what "profession" they're thinking of. Anyone notice the crotch high slit on the 3rd one? And how about the dowdy ill fitting fashion recommended by a college (last photo) Ugh...

I'm starting to see why our young/less fashion savvy members are having trouble. Just for the fun of it, I Google "Women's professional business suits" and these are the images I get:

View attachment 194673 View attachment 194674 View attachment 194675 View attachment 194676 View attachment 194677

The Asian ones makes me wonder what "profession" they're thinking of. Anyone notice the crotch high slit on the 3rd one? And how about the dowdy ill fitting fashion recommended by a college (last photo) Ugh...
The thing that is making it difficult for me is that the doctors I work with and the doctors I've shadowed wear stuff that I consider business casual attire.
But then again I live in Seattle so maybe it's different out here. Nobody wears actual suits.

View attachment 194673 View attachment 194674 View attachment 194675 View attachment 194676 View attachment 194677

This is disturbing.

Reactions: 1 users
The thing that is making it difficult for me is that the doctors I work with and the doctors I've shadowed wear stuff that I consider business casual attire.
But then again I live in Seattle so maybe it's different out here. Nobody wears actual suits.
Neither do I, but I did for my medical school interviews. If you ask them you will find that they did too!

Reactions: 4 users

You're SO RIGHT! And it IS disturbing. And when you do see a suit online that looks like it would work, odds are high that the stylist MUCKS it up somehow by untucking the shirt, rolling up the sleeves, wearing TMOTBAFM heels or bedroom hair - something - to undermine the whole look.

I have really long hair right now, ending just before my hips, but it looks very healthy and nice, especially when curled. However, part of me worries that it is too long and if I curl it, it will look like I am working too much on my appearance for the interview. Any thoughts on what to do?

I like the heels, actually, assuming they coordinate with your shirt in some way. It's not the usual color to go with navy, but if the colors play well together in person, I think they're fine. It's a quiet, neutral shade...

The flats (and in that color) are not appropriate; I'm not loving the heels in that color with a navy suit. Having a lighter shoe on the bottom is leg shortening and wold not be seasonally appropriate. Cordovan (or wine color for those who've not heard this term before) is better, black ok; I could even get behind a camel with matching bag.

My flats are black, not the nude color in the photo (couldn't find a photo with the black ones), but okay, duly noted. I will probably go with the heels, then, unless I find another pair of shoes that is comfortable enough and a better color.

Sorry to post this again, but would these heels be an appropriate style and color?

Is that the exact bag? Or similar. The 'type' of bag is not a problem, but there is something about that particular one I'm not loving...

Its ok but like @DokterMom I'm not loving it - I think its because its a bit shiny but not patent. Its neither here nor there and the slight sheen makes it more casual and <ahem> cheap looking IMHO.

That's not the exact bag; I couldn't find a bag like mine online. Mine is real leather and not nearly as shiny-looking in person. I'm glad to hear that the type of bag is fine though; I'll go ahead and use it.

1) Yes Seattle is by reputation more casual, as is the west coast. Certain specialties are more casual.

2) The physicians you work with may not wear suits on regular business day but I'd be 99% sure that even they would wear a suit for a medical school/residency/job interview. Day to day business "casual" wear is not the event you're dressing for.

If everyone around you is casually dressed realize they aren't your role models.

You're SO RIGHT! And it IS disturbing. And when you do see a suit online that looks like it would work, odds are high that the stylist MUCKS it up somehow by untucking the shirt, rolling up the sleeves, wearing TMOTBAFM heels or bedroom hair - something - to undermine the whole look.
Absolutely.

Even suits that I thought looked good were ill fitting, too short/tight, paired with the wrong accessories. I"m saddened about the 3rd and 5th examples I gave above. The women look boring, dowdy and the guy with the green shirt, light tie and boxy shoes? <smh>

My flats are black, not the nude color in the photo (couldn't find a photo with the black ones), but okay, duly noted. I will probably go with the heels, then, unless I find another pair of shoes that is comfortable enough and a better color.

Sorry to post this again, but would these heels be an appropriate style and color?

I'm rather sure you can find something better looking that's also comfortable but there's nothing inherently wrong with those other than cosmetic issues.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I have a really nice pair of black leather loafers. Unfortunately, I am 5'0. Do you think it's okay to wear the loafers, or should I buy some heels because I'm so short?

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I have a really nice pair of black leather loafers. Unfortunately, I am 5'0. Do you think it's okay to wear the loafers, or should I buy some heels because I'm so short?
When you're young and short, it makes people think you're even younger. Therefore wearing heels for you is even more important. It will give you more height and the perception of maturity and authority. In addition, they're more appropriate than loafers which by definition are casual.

Since people seem to be talking shoes now, I thought I'd chime in. I've owned a pair of these very affordable shoes from Payless for a few years now. They are still in good condition, but I might buy a new pair for interview season. I have a black shoe polish that works wonders on it. Assuming no one sees any problems with these, I'll leave the link here for people who are still looking for a basic pump (3 inch heel): http://www.payless.com/womens-karmen-pump/70962.html?dwvar_70962_color=black

to everyone messaging about where I got the jade green top, it's from a Google search sorry!

(Will we see a sea of jade green instead of funeral colors this year?)

I have really long hair right now, ending just before my hips, but it looks very healthy and nice, especially when curled. However, part of me worries that it is too long and if I curl it, it will look like I am working too much on my appearance for the interview. Any thoughts on what to do?
My school is very into advising people to pull their hair back, at least the top half. Would it work to pull it into some type of bun?

When you're young and short, it makes people think you're even younger. Therefore wearing heels for you is even more important. It will give you more height and the perception of maturity and authority. In addition, they're more appropriate than loafers which by definition are casual.

Thank you!

A simple low pony would be very appropriate and still show off your gorgeous hair in a low-key way. Plus it's a very low-maintenance look.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/softwal...75500&fashionColor=Tan+Leather&resultback=283

Would these flats in black leather be appropriate? I have a charcoal gray suit. I'm very tall for a girl (between 5'8" and 6'0") and any sort of heel makes me tower over everyone. Also, I have feet problems that make wearing heels somewhat painful.

They're on the casual side, but since you're very tall, I'll say OK. That's kind of expensive for flats, though, unless you need very high quality for the foot problems. You're wearing a pants suit right? I wouldn't go that flat with a skirt, no matter how tall you are.

My school is very into advising people to pull their hair back, at least the top half. Would it work to pull it into some type of bun?
Yes! I have put it up in a sock bun for an interview before, but it was a more casual one so I wasn't really sure if that would still be appropriate here. I also worry because I look young (last week while volunteering I was asked by a patient if i had gotten my drivers license yet.. I'm 21) that it might seem more childish, what do you think?

Yes! I have put it up in a sock bun for an interview before, but it was a more casual one so I wasn't really sure if that would still be appropriate here. I also worry because I look young (last week while volunteering I was asked by a patient if i had gotten my drivers license yet.. I'm 21) that it might seem more childish, what do you think?
As long as its not a "top knot" (i.e. sitting on top of your head), it will be fine.

@DokterMom Would you consider these flats a little less casual? They're still leather but without the patent toe.

I have both the skirt and pants for my suit. Now that you mention it, I can see how flats could look "off" with a skirt.

bellwether flat.jpg

Attachments

• bellwether flat.jpg
    bellwether flat.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 25
@DokterMom Would you consider these flats a little less casual? They're still leather but without the patent toe.

I have both the skirt and pants for my suit. Now that you mention it, I can see how flats could look "off" with a skirt.

View attachment 194695

For some reason, I'm not loving the pleats. For flats, I like these:
http://www.zappos.com/naturalizer-helina-black-smooth-shiny
http://www.zappos.com/nine-west-speakup-black-black-leather
http://www.colehaan.com/felicity-qu...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIuI8bqLjccCFc0YMAodNnEOUQ

Thank you @DokterMom for the suggestions! They are very stylish. Looking at those options, I think I might as well buy classic low heels that I can also wear with a skirt suit. Elegant flats tend to be almost as stiff and uncomfortable as heels. This pair is only $58 and has a 2.5" heel. I can handle that!

parigi.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you @DokterMom for the suggestions! They are very stylish. Looking at those options, I think I might as well buy classic low heels that I can also wear with a skirt suit. Elegant flats tend to be almost as stiff and uncomfortable as heels. This pair is only $58 and has a 2.5" heel. I can handle that!

View attachment 194701

Nice shoes -- And you're right in your observations.

Is a pant leg other than a flare-type ill-advised? I have these pants from the limited that make me look taller (i'm very petite) but I'm not sure how it would come across and if I should just buy another pant? I was planning on wearing them with pumps similar to the above post, just with a pointed toe.
http://www.thelimited.com/product/e...2=Petite&dwvar_6439317_colorCode=150&ppid=c12

The fabric is listed as stretch twill, so definitely too casual. In addition, as @starlite911 mentions, they are too fitted. You don't have to go 'flare' or 'baggy', but the leg should have a fairly straight line from the thigh down, though that line could taper a bit toward the ankle.