Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My gosh.

Made the four-hour round-trip trek to the mall (oh, rural America) to find shirts and shoes yesterday.

It is stunningly difficult to find conservative, tasteful shells and shirts. Even Macy's was full of ridiculous patterns, plunging necklines, bizarre buttons in places they shouldn't be, rhinestones, crochet, the list goes on. It was kind of frustrating after all that driving.

Sorry, just had to vent. :eek:

Reactions: 5 users
My gosh.

Made the four-hour round-trip trek to the mall (oh, rural America) to find shirts and shoes yesterday.

It is stunningly difficult to find conservative, tasteful shells and shirts. Even Macy's was full of ridiculous patterns, plunging necklines, bizarre buttons in places they shouldn't be, rhinestones, crochet, the list goes on. It was kind of frustrating after all that driving.

Sorry, just had to vent. :eek:
Did you find anything tho? Can I ask where, assuming you did?

Members don't see this ad :)
@pageantry

Found a nice wine-colored no-button shirt at The Limited, then a button-down (ugh) in a beautiful light blue at Banana Republic. Don't know how the latter will work out, might be returning it. I have a short torso so button-downs often look funky.

I just ordered another Ann Taylor shirt based off a recommendation in this this thread (PM if you want that link). Sadly the closest Ann Taylor is 3.5 hours away one-way so I can't try it on pre-purchase.

Reactions: 1 user
I ask cos I'm flying in from a rural area of a third world country three days before my interview which in happening in a part of America where I don't live (surprise!)

I have two days to buy a suit and I'm like, okay, ready set MAXIMIZE. So far, getting heavy props for Macy's and the Limited although I think I'm going to hit the Outlets fast and hard.

I ask cos I'm flying in from a rural area of a third world country three days before my interview which in happening in a part of America where I don't live (surprise!)

I have two days to buy a suit and I'm like, okay, ready set MAXIMIZE. So far, getting heavy props for Macy's and the Limited although I think I'm going to hit the Outlets fast and hard.

I have two suits which I bought at malls: one from the Nordstrom Halogen line (navy skirt set) and one pantsuit from Macy's Tahari line. The Tahari suit fits sooooo well, I definitely recommend the line!

Stay away from Talbot's!!
I went there yesterday and this is how my conversation with the manager went:
Me: "Hi! I'm looking for a pant or skirt suit"
Manager: "Um...for you?"
Me: "Yes."
Manager: "What kind of suit?"
Me: "Uhh..a pant or skirt suit. Preferably not black."
Manager: "Well this is the women's section, so we won't have anything for you here. You can try the junior's section at Macy's."

LOL okay, I may be petite, but I am 24 years old! :rofl:

I left Talbot's empty-handed but found a great deal on a set at Ann Taylor. They're having a phenomenal sale right now and their outlets are top-notch! The associates were incredibly helpful with choosing the right fabric for the occasion, too. Highly recommend!

Reactions: 4 users
@pageantry

Found a nice wine-colored no-button shirt at The Limited, then a button-down (ugh) in a beautiful light blue at Banana Republic. Don't know how the latter will work out, might be returning it. I have a short torso so button-downs often look funky.

I just ordered another Ann Taylor shirt based off a recommendation in this this thread (PM if you want that link). Sadly the closest Ann Taylor is 3.5 hours away one-way so I can't try it on pre-purchase.
If it's the blue no-iron button-down, that's what I have and I specifically liked it because it was long enough to stay tucked in. Express's button downs are shorter, and therefore I don't like them.

I will still be looking for a no-button shirt... for residency interviews. Given what a nightmare this shopping was last time, I am planning ahead..

Are any other ladies having a hard time feeling feminine in a blazer? I'm not sure if I've just been trying on jackets that aren't cut well for me or what, but I just haven't felt very confident in any single one that I've tried on!

Reactions: 1 users
Are any other ladies having a hard time feeling feminine in a blazer? I'm not sure if I've just been trying on jackets that aren't cut well for me or what, but I just haven't felt very confident in any single one that I've tried on!
The one I ended up buying still feels kinda bulky and masculine. But a male friend of mine described it as "mostly attractive but a little bit marmish" so I'm taking that as a win. I think getting it tailored/taken in a bit will help.

I checked Macy's, Nordstrom, JCPenny, The express, Ann Taylor and could not find a nice classic suit!
I am very small and short, and The Limited was the only place with matching pants and blazers in 00 size.
http://www.thelimited.com/navy-drew-collection-bootcut-pants-&-two-button-jacket/august15_suit_22.html?cgid=suits&prefn1=saleStatus&start=9&prefv1=regular&ppid=c9
Oh and also they have very nice sale going on right now in the stores. I did pay less than 130$ for the suit.

Now I just need to find a dark olive color blouse, which is actually extremely hard! :confused:

Last edited:
I have two suits which I bought at malls: one from the Nordstrom Halogen line (navy skirt set) and one pantsuit from Macy's Tahari line. The Tahari suit fits sooooo well, I definitely recommend the line!
I got a Tahari suit from Macy's a while ago, and it just...fit. I don't know how, or why, but as soon as I tried it I had to buy it.
Unfortunately, it's black and a bit heavy considering the weather where my first interview is around 100ºF right now. Interview isn't for a month, but it'll still be warm then.
I'd like to get another interview suit, maybe a grey in a lighter fabric, but at least I have somethign that fits me in the meantime!

Stay away from Talbot's!!
I went there yesterday and this is how my conversation with the manager went:
Me: "Hi! I'm looking for a pant or skirt suit"
Manager: "Um...for you?"
Me: "Yes."
Manager: "What kind of suit?"
Me: "Uhh..a pant or skirt suit. Preferably not black."
Manager: "Well this is the women's section, so we won't have anything for you here. You can try the junior's section at Macy's."

LOL okay, I may be petite, but I am 24 years old! :rofl:

I left Talbot's empty-handed but found a great deal on a set at Ann Taylor. They're having a phenomenal sale right now and their outlets are top-notch! The associates were incredibly helpful with choosing the right fabric for the occasion, too. Highly recommend!

Yikes! Bad Sales Associate! Bad! :caution: Yeah, their stuff tends to be more mature, but for a young woman, particularly on who is petite, a 'more mature' look is a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.

If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.

Would you consider red hair an "unnatural" color? To clarify, I do dye my hair red, and it is not my natural hair color. However, most of my family has red hair, and it is not a "bright" color. It's essentially this shade of red: http://cdn1.loxabeauty.com/wp/wp-co...ulgirl-5946833ea09e2105396b449382bdd5ac_h.jpg

Furthermore, I wear glasses daily. Should I consider wearing contacts to look more professional? Or are glasses alright to wear?

Would you consider red hair an "unnatural" color? To clarify, I do dye my hair red, and it is not my natural hair color. However, most of my family has red hair, and it is not a "bright" color. It's essentially this shade of red: http://cdn1.loxabeauty.com/wp/wp-co...ulgirl-5946833ea09e2105396b449382bdd5ac_h.jpg

Furthermore, I wear glasses daily. Should I consider wearing contacts to look more professional? Or are glasses alright to wear?
Maybe I'm way off base, but I would consider that a bright color of red.

As far as glasses vs. contacts, I would wear whichever you are more comfortable with. Nothing worse than blinking constantly because you aren't used to/aren't as comfortable with wearing contacts.

Red that can be found on someone's head in nature is fine.
Glasses are fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Would these shoes be okay for an interview: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/women/shoes/flats/c/111/FROVIEL/p/33553699-96#

And would a simple button-down collared shirt like this be alright with a blazer and dress pants: http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...irt/pro/8501651/cat360025?crossSellId=8541108
I think those shoes are very cute, but might be a little too casual. From what I read on here, a little heel is better, more professional. However, if you are tall, I think flats (maybe without a pattern and with a little pointy nose) would look great.
I would totally wear flats if I was not 5 feet tall lol.
What color are your blazer and pants? I think it's good to add some color :)

Last edited:
I think those shoes are very cute, but might be a little too casual. From what I read on here, a little heel is better, more professional. However, if you are tall, I think flats (maybe without a pattern and with a little pointy nose) would look great.
I would totally wear flats if I was not 5 feet tall lol.
What color are your blazer and pants? I think it's good to add some color :)

Yeah, I thought about wearing heels but I personally am not familiar with wearing them. I was planning on wearing flats the entire time for comfort reasons. And my blazer and pants are black.

I bought similar flats, but I plan on wearing them just on the tour.

Can we wear nice loafers with pant suits? I'm having a hard time finding a reasonable pair of pumps in the right oxblood color to go with my nice bag.

And what about hair style? Should we leave it down? Put it up?

Yeah, I thought about wearing heels but I personally am not familiar with wearing them. I was planning on wearing flats the entire time for comfort reasons. And my blazer and pants are black.
Heels are not difficult to walk if you get the right pair. A small heel looks much more professional than flats.

Can we wear nice loafers with pant suits? I'm having a hard time finding a reasonable pair of pumps in the right oxblood color to go with my nice bag.

And what about hair style? Should we leave it down? Put it up?
Hair should be pulled back from face. I will probably pull just pin the top half back, but if it is an exceptionally warm day, or a school where the tour part is first, I will just pull it all into a low ponytail.
I think buns look nicer personally, but my hair stylist apparently had other ideas when he cut my hair into a million layers :rolleyes:

crap I forgot about getting flats for the tour

You don't need flats for the tour unless you can't walk through a few buildings in heels - even low ones.
Flats are not the best shoe choice in general, and are only good in certain circumstances:
  • You are very tall and feel uncomfortable in heels. If you're tall and can wear heels, DO IT!
  • You have foot and/or back problems that make flats medically necessary.
If you can't wear heels, wear a pants suit. Pants mitigate the negative aspects of flats.
And if you must wear flats, make sure they're dressy -- structured, polished, not wedgies, not gathered or draped.

You don't need flats for the tour unless you can't walk through a few buildings in heels - even low ones.
Flats are not the best shoe choice in general, and are only good in certain circumstances:
  • You are very tall and feel uncomfortable in heels. If you're tall and can wear heels, DO IT!
  • You have foot and/or back problems that make flats medically necessary.
If you can't wear heels, wear a pants suit. Pants mitigate the negative aspects of flats.
And if you must wear flats, make sure they're dressy -- structured, polished, not wedgies, not gathered or draped.
So most just keep their heels on for the tour?

@DokterMom What about a nice, shiny pair of loafers?

It would depend on the shoe. The word 'loafers' implies something comfortable and casual, and the vast majority of shoes called 'loafers' would not be interview appropriate. If your loafers look like these,
220869_366_45.jpg

your other shoe had better look like this:

th

These would be appropriate:

Calvin-Klein-Womens-Pepin-Black-Crinkled-Leather-Low-Heel-Dress-Shoes-P15124365.jpg
Black-Shoe-Women-2.jpg

So most just keep their heels on for the tour?

I don't know what 'most' do -- only what most should be able to do. Get heels you can walk in. A small heel can make all the difference between 'awful' and 'fine':
T1274005.jpg
001.gif

I would think so. A lot of girls can wear 5-6 inch stilettos while dancing for 4 hours at a club. 2 inch comfort pumps should be bearable for an hour.
I don't find heels uncomfortable. I just find smashing my face into the ground when I fall to be uncomfortable. :p

It would depend on the shoe. The word 'loafers' implies something comfortable and casual, and the vast majority of shoes called 'loafers' would not be interview appropriate. If your loafers look like these,
220869_366_45.jpg

your other shoe had better look like this:

th

These would be appropriate:
Relevant--me last year interview outfits
IMG_1336.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
You had a boot and still wore a heel on the other side? You rock!!
Interviews can make a lot of difference. By treating it seriously, one can be rewarded rather generously, anecdotally speaking. I didn't even get invited to half of the schools, but the ones that did were really kind to me afterwards.

Reactions: 8 users
I know that patent leather pumps are generally considered inappropriate, but would these work with a navy pant suit since the patent part of the shoe would be mostly covered by my pants?

41Rd-A0froL.jpg

We've already discussed putting up tailbone length hair. What about long hair to say elbows? I feel prettier with it down and am only confident about putting it up in a simple bun otherwise.

My plan is to get it trimmed beforehand and then it may be more like, uhhhh... Breastlength? Once I applied for a fairly high level job at an investment bank and was advised by other women (who saw my picture) to wear it down. But there's no doubt this is more of a hippie length right now.

We've already discussed putting up tailbone length hair. What about long hair to say elbows? I feel prettier with it down and am only confident about putting it up in a simple bun otherwise.

My plan is to get it trimmed beforehand and then it may be more like, uhhhh... Breastlength? Once I applied for a fairly high level job at an investment bank and was advised by other women (who saw my picture) to wear it down. But there's no doubt this is more of a hippie length right now.
Would you feel comfortable using bobby pins or something similar to pull at least the sides back? I don't think the issue is with wearing it down, per say. It's more a concern of it falling in your face, blocking your eyes, etc. Conversely, if you're wearing it down and curled, etc., I think that comes across as ~overly styled~ and not appropriate for the occasion.

Reactions: 2 users
Would you feel comfortable using bobby pins or something similar to pull at least the sides back? I don't think the issue is with wearing it down, per say. It's more a concern of it falling in your face, blocking your eyes, etc. Conversely, if you're wearing it down and curled, etc., I think that comes across as ~overly styled~ and not appropriate for the occasion.
Well, I don't have bangs. I wear it clean and straight, and because it's so long it doesn't get in my face, although I like to wear it so it covers my ears. My hair's too fine for bobby pins so I tend to keep the layers long and just pull it back when necessary. But most people think it looks nice down.

It's not weird colors or anything. It's just a mildly dramatic length.

I have almost waist-length hair but I'm going for the big chop in September O.O Mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, LOL! Also being super short I kind of resemble Cousin It when it gets in my face :p My only concern about leaving it down is it becoming unkempt as the day goes on. I'm debating wearing it down too - I feel like I look much better with it down, but I also don't want to look messy. I think I'd either do a half-back style or a low pony.

I have almost waist-length hair but I'm going for the big chop in September O.O Mostly because I don't feel like dealing with it anymore, LOL! Also being super short I kind of resemble Cousin It when it gets in my face :p My only concern about leaving it down is it becoming unkempt as the day goes on. I'm debating wearing it down too - I feel like I look much better with it down, but I also don't want to look messy. I think I'd either do a half-back style or a low pony.
Low pony looks awesome on long hair.

Ugh, I think it's schoolmarm bun or long hippie for me! Or a whole new hairstyle that may well DESTROY ME.

Maybe you are much more glamorous than I am, but--as a former homeschooler--on me, either style you mentioned tends to look super homeschool. Like that Amish meth-head from Orange is The New Black. D:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1440097799.981216.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Haha omw to get a haircut right now because I also don't want to deal with the long hair!

Re: hair
At the end of the day, I think it's more important to look appropriate than feel pretty in this circumstance. However, if wearing your hair pulled back is going to bother you to the point where it affects your interview performance, maybe it's a trade off you can make.

Reactions: 3 users