Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what do you think of this suit?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=67596&vid=1&pid=850726&scid=850726002

I of course love it but I am wondering about the rosette, should i keep it on or remove it?

I'd remove the rosette, but it should still look feminine with the piping at the waist.

Read through this great thread but wanted to ask another question...i went with a skirt suit but now i have interviews up north in october/november...is a skirt suit still appropriate? of course i'm wearing hose and a coat but will a skirt look ridiculous?

Nope. You can wear thicker, flesh-colored hose rather than the super sheer type for extra warmth (but avoid tights).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is OK to wear black heels with a navy suit, correct? I looked online and everyone seemed to say this was a "classic" look and was perfectly fine, but some of my mom's coworkers were saying that is was not OK. I'd hate to wear it and have an interviewer think it's a faux pas.

Totally fine. And for the record, black is the suggested color for shoes with navy suits for men, so I doubt any of your interviewers will think twice.

Any suggestions for shopping on a super tight budget? How about for short ladies?

Great thread, thanks for all the info!

Check out department stores sales, or a Ross or TJ Max. If you can score a suit cheaply, you could probably still afford to have it altered. This way, your suit will look custom-fit for you and you'll still get a deal! Tailoring is also key for making skirts/pants the proper length for shorter statures.

Members don't see this ad.

Any suggestions for shopping on a super tight budget? How about for short ladies?

If your budget is super-super tight, I think K-Mart has a couple of suit separates. Target, too, and Old Navy online. It's not ideal, and there are plenty on these boards who would say something along the lines of "what's a $300 suit in the face of $200,000 in tuition?" But I think if you take care of it and carry yourself well in it, it's not going to break you.

Also, the Gap Family (Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Gap) have 30% off right now.

Also try looking at discount websites like ideeli and rue la la - if you know your measurements you can get a nice deal on decent quality stuff. It's risky that it won't look quite right on you, though, but they have a decent return policy (although you can only return for credit...)

Overall though, I'd say look at the sales/clearance racks in department stores near you - you can usually find a steal of some kind. JC Penny, Target, Kohl's, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you guys think about a blouse with thin stripes? (not pin stripes...a little thicker)

...and breast pockets? I have a few blouses in various colors that have breast pockets on both sides...is that ok? :confused:

...um, also are prints of any sort appropriate?? Ahh so confuzzled! Thank you.:thumbup:

Ok, after my major shopping trip, I ended up getting both patent heels and tote. After reading this thread, however, I am getting nervous about patent. Is it really that bad? The shoes are pumps with a reasonable heel. I'm already stressing over the hose.

what do you guys think about a blouse with thin stripes? (not pin stripes...a little thicker)

...and breast pockets? I have a few blouses in various colors that have breast pockets on both sides...is that ok? :confused:

...um, also are prints of any sort appropriate?? Ahh so confuzzled! Thank you.:thumbup:

Stripes are fine, pockets are fine, and prints are fine...I have a post with guidelines for stripes earlier in this thread. With prints, keep them subtle (avoid wild jungle prints, giant polka dots, etc.)

Ok, after my major shopping trip, I ended up getting both patent heels and tote. After reading this thread, however, I am getting nervous about patent. Is it really that bad? The shoes are pumps with a reasonable heel. I'm already stressing over the hose.

I wouldn't go out and buy new accessories if they're appropriate stylewise. Gotta have the hose though!

Hi guys, I need help picking out a handbag. I'm actually pre-dental, but I really like this thread and the help provided here. I'm planning on wearing a dark brown pinstripe suit and the pinstripes are cream colored. I'm not sure what color my bag should be. I think having a brown bag would be too much brown and a black bag wouldn't work well with a brown suit. Any suggestions? I also need to try to get a bag that's around or under $50. Any suggestions on stores I could look into would also be appreciated! THANK YOU!!! :)

Last edited:
Are heels necessary for an interview? I'm a pretty tall girl and I would feel somewhat uncomfortable in heels. I have a pair plain black flats with a 1 inch wedge, would that be ok to wear?

Got a super classy Calvin Klein suit at Ross for $80. Mom will hem the sleeves and pants (I'm short, too).

Check it out...you might be pleasantly surprised. And, odds are, you know SOMEBODY that will hem your stuff for free.

I'm a guy so don't really have anything useful to say on the subject, I just find pant suits to be very de-feminizing to women. It makes many women look androgynous (which shouldn't really matter in a med school interview, I just think the androgynous look is too safe [lacking confidence in her femininity]) .

Or it's due to the weather. Though I'm not sure pant suits will be that much warmer than a longer skirt unless it's really windy outside.

Probably depends on what image you want to portray.
I'm a guy so I'm no expert either, but I've read some other posters saying that a skirt suit is the more traditional attire and safer bet.
And the suit you posted didn't look that great IMO.

Don't you think the OP is just advertising some products? Come on, look at the posts at least...only 6? Good job OP, but you failed for real!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a gay guy and I think pant suits are an abomination. Does that count?

Don't you think the OP is just advertising some products? Come on, look at the posts at least...only 6? Good job OP, but you failed for real!

Doh! I did think it was weird that she posted a link to a website where the picture was so small, when she could have just linked the department store..:(

Hi guys, I need help picking out a handbag. I'm actually pre-dental, but I really like this thread and the help provided here. I'm planning on wearing a dark brown pinstripe suit and the pinstripes are cream colored. I'm not sure what color my bag should be. I think having a brown bag would be too much brown and a black bag wouldn't work well with a brown suit. Any suggestions? I also need to try to get a bag that's around or under $50. Any suggestions on stores I could look into would also be appreciated! THANK YOU!!! :)

I think a dark blue bag would look great with a brown suit, but take care that it isn't too bright or in-your-face. Something like this (though I'm obviously not suggesting you spend $500 on a bag). You could also consider a lighter brown/tan bag, like this...again, I'm showing this one for the color and not for the price!

Are heels necessary for an interview? I'm a pretty tall girl and I would feel somewhat uncomfortable in heels. I have a pair plain black flats with a 1 inch wedge, would that be ok to wear?

I think heels make a girl of any height look more professional, but no need to go crazy if you're already tall. A one-inch heel would be just fine if the shoes are professional-looking.

for reference, this is a pantsuit:
hillary-clinton-pantsuit-fashion_424x327.jpg

I'm a guy so don't really have anything useful to say on the subject, I just find pant suits to be very de-feminizing to women. It makes many women look androgynous (which shouldn't really matter in a med school interview, I just think the androgynous look is too safe [lacking confidence in her femininity]).

I'm also a guy and have no idea why you would think women have to wear skirts to be "feminine." Or why women should strive to be feminine in the first place.

OP, wear your pantsuit and rock it. (And please get it fitted and not in orange...)

i've always supported hillary clinton, go for it op

but it's yea or nay, i don't know who came up with yay or nay but that's definitely not right.

I wore a pant suit to all my interviews. I don't wear skirts much because I don't feel comfortable in them, and if I'm going to be in a stressful situation I at least want to feel comfortable with my clothing.

Merging related threads.

I know a lot of questions have been posted pertaining to this subject, and it seems that the majority of women are sticking to pant suits where the weather is cold. So do I.

I have an interview coming up soon, and I don't have good body to wear skirt suit. My interview is in cold weather where there may possibly be rainy. I'm thinking wearing this pant suit. Yay or nay for interview?

I'm a guy so don't really have anything useful to say on the subject, I just find pant suits to be very de-feminizing to women. It makes many women look androgynous (which shouldn't really matter in a med school interview, I just think the androgynous look is too safe [lacking confidence in her femininity]) .

Or it's due to the weather. Though I'm not sure pant suits will be that much warmer than a longer skirt unless it's really windy outside.

Probably depends on what image you want to portray.
I'm a guy so I'm no expert either, but I've read some other posters saying that a skirt suit is the more traditional attire and safer bet.
And the suit you posted didn't look that great IMO.

I'm a gay guy and I think pant suits are an abomination. Does that count?

Doh! I did think it was weird that she posted a link to a website where the picture was so small, when she could have just linked the department store..:(

for reference, this is a pantsuit:
hillary-clinton-pantsuit-fashion_424x327.jpg

I would prefer slacks and a blouse for women over a pant suit (I'm a man). Really, though, I don't think it'll matter either way.

I'm also a guy and have no idea why you would think women have to wear skirts to be "feminine." Or why women should strive to be feminine in the first place.

OP, wear your pantsuit and rock it. (And please get it fitted and not in orange...)

i've always supported hillary clinton, go for it op

but it's yea or nay, i don't know who came up with yay or nay but that's definitely not right.

I wore a pant suit to all my interviews. I don't wear skirts much because I don't feel comfortable in them, and if I'm going to be in a stressful situation I at least want to feel comfortable with my clothing.

FYI gals - I wore a dark blue/forest green plaid dress with a black business coat over it for my interviews, and I believe I got complimented on it at every single school I went to. Many people said it was nice to see something different/some actual color. I'm just trying to say, a pant suit or skirt suit is not the end-all, be-all of med school interview attire. It definitely made me stand out, too, but not in a bad way :)

(it was kinda like this, except higher cut and I'm NOT that skinny :p)
bcbgplaid.jpg

FYI gals - I wore a dark blue/forest green plaid dress with a black business coat over it for my interviews, and I believe I got complimented on it at every single school I went to. Many people said it was nice to see something different/some actual color. I'm just trying to say, a pant suit or skirt suit is not the end-all, be-all of med school interview attire. It definitely made me stand out, too, but not in a bad way :)

(it was kinda like this, except higher cut and I'm NOT that skinny :p)
bcbgplaid.jpg

I'm sure it was for that reason and not your 3.95/37 that got you accepted. :laugh: I kid, I kid. The dress looks very nice! I'm not sure I could pull it off--I do not have the body for formal-looking dresses (my butt is too big). I think I will stick with a skirt suit, because pencil skirts tend to be the most flattering on women of all shapes.

I'm sure it was for that reason and not your 3.95/37 that got you accepted. :laugh: I kid, I kid. The dress looks very nice! I'm not sure I could pull it off--I do not have the body for formal-looking dresses (my butt is too big). I think I will stick with a skirt suit, because pencil skirts tend to be the most flattering on women of all shapes.

No butt is too big, unless its something like this:

fat-girl-shaun.jpg

MY EYESSSSSS!!!!!!!

I think silverhorse84 hit the nail on the head. Wear whatever you are most comfortable in! For my interviews I wore a standard pantsuit (from United Colors of Bennetton, on sale!) with a white button down shirt (from Banana Republic). I wore black medium length T-strap leather heels and a black purse with no frills. I love fashion but I wanted to stand out for what I said in interviews, not what I wore. The only bit of "me" I injected into my outfit was a slight leather ruffle on the strap of the heels. (My pants were appropriately hemmed so they were only noticeable if I crossed my legs.) I also wore no earrings, necklaces, or frills. For colder months I also had a simple medium length black wool pea coat.

In the end, not a single interviewer commented on my look, but they were engaged in our conversation and I was blessed enough to receive multiple acceptances. I think the moral of the story is, be yourself and wear whatever makes you feel confident! Good luck you guys! :luck:

Haha, I'm not trying to say it was my dress that got me accepted. I'm just trying to say that you don't HAVE to dress exactly like every other single woman you're going to see on the interview trail - a little difference is A-OK, and refreshing for interviewers. (Btw - I have a huge bum, and I looked pretty good in the dress - it actually minimized my backside :p )

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT dress up in a bear costume.

I was told that UCLA really liked grizzly bears so I should come for my interview in a bear costume. It did not go well. The afterparty was pretty cool, though.

I'm wearing something similar to that (except very light pink) tomorrow so I hope not! It looked good and I got several opinions before I decided to go with that over a button down.

Excellent! I'm sure it looks great and good luck tomorrow! :)

I know you guys talked about wearing simple flats for the tour/etc. and changing into heals for the interview.

What if you are wearing a skirt? Would flats still be appropriate for the tour? And how are you guys storing your shoes; do you have large purses? I'm just bringing a zipper portfolio so I'm not sure how I'd carry my shoes too...

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the input in this thread; it's been super helpful.

My question is: will it look unprofessional or weird if I have sort of unusual glasses frames? The frames I usually wear are thick-framed and have fairly bright gold glitter along the arms, and some noticeable but not extremely gaudy patterning around the lenses. I get a lot of comments on these frames -- always positive ones -- but they are noticeable/unusual.

I do have another set of frames that are more plain, but in my opinion they are much more unflattering on my face and I only have them as a back-up pair. Anyone who wears glasses can tell you that switching glasses is a headache, literally. :)

As you can tell, I'd much prefer to wear my usual frames, but want to know if there is a rule for this sort of thing. No, I don't have contacts and yes, I have tried. :)

I know you guys talked about wearing simple flats for the tour/etc. and changing into heals for the interview.

What if you are wearing a skirt? Would flats still be appropriate for the tour? And how are you guys storing your shoes; do you have large purses? I'm just bringing a zipper portfolio so I'm not sure how I'd carry my shoes too...

I am going to be bringing my tour shoes in my purse, which is a fairly large bag. Originally I was going to bring a much smaller bag but I bought the purse specifically to be able to carry the shoes, and I'm glad I did, because now I can carry so much extra stuff with me as insurance. I'm more worried about fitting the heels back into the bag than anything. No clue about the skirt thing, though.

You can of course wear flats with skirts. Try to choose a pair that complements the style of the skirt you plan on wearing.

A large purse or tote will make carrying your shoes easier, but if you REALLY don't want one, you could carry a simple draw-string type bag for your shoes and leave it with the receptionist/front desk/interview coordinator when you arrive.

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the input in this thread; it's been super helpful.

My question is: will it look unprofessional or weird if I have sort of unusual glasses frames? The frames I usually wear are thick-framed and have fairly bright gold glitter along the arms, and some noticeable but not extremely gaudy patterning around the lenses. I get a lot of comments on these frames -- always positive ones -- but they are noticeable/unusual.

I do have another set of frames that are more plain, but in my opinion they are much more unflattering on my face and I only have them as a back-up pair. Anyone who wears glasses can tell you that switching glasses is a headache, literally. :)

As you can tell, I'd much prefer to wear my usual frames, but want to know if there is a rule for this sort of thing. No, I don't have contacts and yes, I have tried. :)

I'd say wear your frames, and consider them as your central piece of jewelry...meaning, don't also wear earrings or a necklace that will overshine them or make you look too busy. Your frames should be a unique statement! Wear gold or multitone jewelry to match.

I wanted to wear flats too, as heels always hurt my feet. Would a super simple black flat, like these, be appropriate?

thanks for the advice km! I think maybe I'll take a purse just for the shoes.

Would something like this ever be appropriate or is the thinking generally that it's better to play it safe and go with a traditional pant suit or skirt suit (regardless of weather, personal comfort, etc.)?

I would try and steer clear of wearing anything like that. You can always go traditional with a twist of chic and personalization, but always keep in mind the way you look will be the first personal impression your interviewer will have of you. If you go too avant-garde, it might distract your interviewer. Last thing you want is for them to forget the interview and remember you solely on your outfit.

I, too, wanted to stay away from heels on my interview days. You never know what could happen, what if you needed to quickly run? What if some sidewalks were cobble stone? Or worse - what if your heel broke?! Yikes! :eek:

I plan on wearing a pant suite with flats, but I wanted to have the pointy flats so that it's a good compromise between flats and heels. What do you think of these, in black? http://www.dsw.com/shoe/r2+grant+flat?prodId=225331&category=cat20068

:D

I just got a suit at The Limited, and they had an awesome selection, everything fit great, and they had tons of good blouses to wear underneath. I am definitely going back there in the future.

I, too, wanted to stay away from heels on my interview days. You never know what could happen, what if you needed to quickly run? What if some sidewalks were cobble stone? Or worse - what if your heel broke?! Yikes! :eek:

I plan on wearing a pant suite with flats, but I wanted to have the pointy flats so that it's a good compromise between flats and heels. What do you think of these, in black? http://www.dsw.com/shoe/r2+grant+flat?prodId=225331&category=cat20068

:D

These have a great shape. Just a quick heads up, with today being Labor Day, technically we should stop wearing patent accessories until Easter.

That being said, I plan to break this rule many times over the colder months and will rock both my black and nude patent pumps with my biz caz. I would pause to think about purchasing a patent shoe specifically for a post-Labor Day more formal interview, but if you have found a pair you really love....

I basically just took a lot of space to say it's your call haha, but it is :)

I just got a suit at The Limited, and they had an awesome selection, everything fit great, and they had tons of good blouses to wear underneath. I am definitely going back there in the future.

The Limited is great, and Banana Republic, Ann Taylor (and LOFT), Talbots and J Crew will have comparable (ish for J Crew) price points and selection if you wanted to shop around for fit or different materials.

These have a great shape. Just a quick heads up, with today being Labor Day, technically we should stop wearing patent accessories until Easter.

Oh wow, do you think the interviewers would know about these fashion technicalities? oye vay :confused: I hope not, hahaha

I wanted to share my suit with you all, because I'm in love with it.

Jacket:
2509389_137.jpg

Skirt:
7062968_137.jpg

Blouse:
5318879_278_3.jpg

:love:

Now to find shoes...

I wanted to share my suit with you all, because I'm in love with it.

Jacket:
2509389_137.jpg

Skirt:
7062968_137.jpg

Blouse:
5318879_278_3.jpg

:love:

Now to find shoes...

Ooh, that's cute.

I'm a heels girl. I've been known to run in 5 inch heels. I actually don't feel comfortable / get blisters more often in flats. But I'm going to err on the side of caution and look for < 2" heels.

Also, I own a sleeveless/vest pantsuit that's navy with light blue pinstripes that's probably too unconventional. I also own a pantsuit that's black with thin brown pinstripes. It was my go-to power suit 4 years ago (I'm a non-trad), but now I'm rethinking wearing it to an interview. I may look for a skirt suit this weekend. And a tote, because my bag collection falls into two categories: tattered/backpack or way too nice / logo-ed for an interview. This is more stress than I thought it would be. I was so worried about getting an interview in the first place, I didn't even consider what I would do once I got one...