Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For earrings, buttons read better than studs (though studs are ok). Dangles are contrary to hospital dress codes at every place I've ever worked and should be avoided at the interview.
The only reason to wear a necklace is to accent the suit. A dainty piece does nothing to achieve this.
Wait why buttons>studs?

Members don't see this ad.

For earrings, buttons read better than studs (though studs are ok). Dangles are contrary to hospital dress codes at every place I've ever worked and should be avoided at the interview.
The only reason to wear a necklace is to accent the suit. A dainty piece does nothing to achieve this.

I guess it really is personal taste. I feel like button earrings and heavy necklaces are old fashioned. There's gotta be way to be professional, conservative, and stylish. I probably won't wear a necklace at all and just go for small gold knot earrings.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it really is personal taste. I feel like button earrings and heavy necklaces are old fashioned. There's gotta be way to be professional, conservative, and stylish. I probably won't wear a necklace at all and just go for small gold knot earrings.
That will be fine.

The problems start with little animals and fussy details.

Hello Ladies,
Which blouse do you think fits better? So far I am more in favor for the green and second choice in the light lilac one.

I will iron my shirts(!), I will wear a pearl necklace, and I will have a black purse. Do I need to do anything with my pants?
Everybody's two cents are greatly appreciated!
Thank You.
I like lilac! The neckline goes best with the jacket.

Members don't see this ad :)
ID necklaces that spell out "You're a star!"
I could go on...

You can see I've been traumatized.

But that's so complimentary. She thinks you're a star. :laugh:

What about this one?

rs_480x640-131001130345-jvDTvVx.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I can't bear any more Hello Kitty.
What about a Hello Kidney necklace?

Jk I don't have a Hello Kidney necklace. But I may or may not be on the search for one. Just not for my interview!

Reactions: 2 users
But that's so complimentary. She thinks you're a star. :laugh:

What about this one?

rs_480x640-131001130345-jvDTvVx.jpg
We did get some crown jewelry (without the twerk, though).
And also some prom queen type photos.
No one has shown up in a tiara (yet).

Hello Ladies,
Which blouse do you think fits better? So far I am more in favor for the green and second choice in the light lilac one.

I will iron my shirts(!), I will wear a pearl necklace, and I will have a black purse. Do I need to do anything with my pants?
Thank You.
I love the lilac.

The main point regarding interviews is that you are dressing for others.
There is nothing wrong with studs (in the center of the earlobe), though.
What's the difference between studs and buttons? Google yields nothing.

Hello Ladies,

Thank You.

I agree with those in the lilac camp.

Studs are fine if you want to look like you're not wearing earrings.

Buttons are larger -- dime sized or bigger. They are for when you do want your earrings to show, but you want them to be simple and understated -- like for an interview.

The difference is size --

I mainly associate button earrings with the stuff I used to play with from my grandma's jewelry box. This isn't the 80's, you guys. Button earrings look sooooooooo dated.

Studs are <9mm in diameter.
"Buttons" are usually somewhat larger, domed and round, though they can be found in other simple geometric shapes.

Would you consider knots equally professional? They match the tone of my watch better than pearl buttons.

images

I was really lucky to attend a few interviews, and if nothing else, here are a few pointers on things I saw and what to avoid:

1. Ladies, no bodycon dresses. Please.
2. Especially not one in flaming neon pink.
3. EVERYONE, please make sure to remove the price tag from your outfit...

I was really lucky to attend a few interviews, and if nothing else, here are a few pointers on things I saw and what to avoid:

Hahaha! Oh-nooooo...

Lol are you serious?!

I believe it. There was that one girl who made a thread asking if she could wear her 5" Louboutins to an interview.

How much does your appearance really play into the interview evaluation? I just came upon this thread and now I'm a little worried about my appearance in my upcoming interview haha. My outfit is professional (black suit, non-white button-down collared shirt) and my hairstyle will look clean and out of my face, but nothing fancy. I'm also keeping my makeup really light because I don't want it to smear throughout the day. Is all that okay or is it too "standard"? I noticed some advice against button-downs in particular.

(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread; I went through some earlier posts but couldn't cover all 60 pages.)

Flare of this skirt - yes or no?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 47
How much does your appearance really play into the interview evaluation? I just came upon this thread and now I'm a little worried about my appearance in my upcoming interview haha. My outfit is professional (black suit, non-white button-down collared shirt) and my hairstyle will look clean and out of my face, but nothing fancy. I'm also keeping my makeup really light because I don't want it to smear throughout the day. Is all that okay or is it too "standard"? I noticed some advice against button-downs in particular.

(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread; I went through some earlier posts but couldn't cover all 60 pages.)

Your appearance - let's make that 'presentation' - can definitely work against you if you show poor judgement (neon pink bodycon dress and 5" Louboutins)
It can work in your favor if you absolutely nail it.
Or it can be a "neutral to slight positive" if you dress appropriately. Your outfit sounds very appropriate --

Would you consider knots equally professional? They match the tone of my watch better than pearl buttons.

images

I don't have a strict definition of 'buttons', so would include these lovely knots in the general button category. What I mean is an earring that sits on the lobe of the ear (or mostly so) and does not dangle, and one that is larger than a little stud.

Reactions: 2 users
What does everyone mean by conservative but stylish and memorable? Personally what comes to mind are the examples I have attached (in a macy's form of course) but I feel like I would stand out a little too much and come off the wrong way. I typically go for the black suit but apparently that is overdone now??

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-1_13-18-45.png
    upload_2015-9-1_13-18-45.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 144
  • upload_2015-9-1_13-24-37.png
    upload_2015-9-1_13-24-37.png
    1 MB · Views: 130
  • upload_2015-9-1_13-26-52.png
    upload_2015-9-1_13-26-52.png
    570.9 KB · Views: 126
What does everyone mean by conservative but stylish and memorable? Personally what comes to mind are the examples I have attached (in a macy's form of course) but I feel like I would stand out a little too much and come off the wrong way. I typically go for the black suit but apparently that is overdone now??
Yes, these are memorable in a bad way. I don't think your clothes need to be memorable. You just need to look decent/conservative and BE memorable. Nothing wrong with black. Just unnecessarily somber.

Any tips for keeping eyeliner from smudging? I have both gel and pencil eyeliners.

Who said "memorable" -- except in a bad way? Go for appropriate first.
If you want to 'kick it up a notch', see my earlier post - #2948 - for a 'bonus points' look.
The pictures you posted are "ladies who lunch" or "political wives" suits.

Again, for women, there's nothing wrong with a black suit.

I personally love the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils when it comes to eyeliner. I'm total crap at liquid liner, so they're a good option if you're more comfortable with pencils.

If it's too hot to wear the blazer jacket, would it be bad if the blouse underneath is very fit/tight? Also we should have the blouse tucked at all times for a suit? Especially if I take the jacket off?

If it's too hot to wear the blazer jacket, would it be bad if the blouse underneath is very fit/tight?

Yes.

Also we should have the blouse tucked at all times for a suit? Especially if I take the jacket off?
Yes. A blouse is supposed to be tucked in at all times regardless of whether you're wearing a jacket or not (or frankly at an interview or not; they're made to be worn tucked in. Don't get me started on when it became acceptable for men to wear their shirts untucked in public for anything but lawn work.)

What is the consensus on wearing patterned shells? I found a lovely polka dot shell at Ann Taylor that looks sharp with my navy skirt suit. It is beige and there are black polka dots on it (they are very small... about the size of the end of a Q-tip). It seems classic to me, not too busy, and looked nicer than the plain white one I found. I am hoping for advice on whether this is acceptable.

Hey all!
I think my post was passed over, so I am quoting it here. Any help/guidance would be much appreciated! :)

Don't get me started on when it became acceptable for men to wear their shirts untucked in public for anything but lawn work.)

I think it was about the same time it became popular for them to wear their pants below the tops of their underwear - yuck!

Or for women's bras to become a visible part of their look. Tops with straps here / bra straps there. Or bright bras under sheer blouses.