Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm, I may just have to do that. What do people normally do with this type of hair? Sleek it down with gel or something?
My hair tends to get wispy too but it's much more cooperative when I pull it back so that it's not going in a direction it doesn't naturally go. I've been doing something kinda like this: http://www.freckled-fox.com/2012/08/hair-tutorial-gibson-tuck.html?m=1

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My hair tends to get wispy when I pull it back but it's much more cooperative when I pull it back in something low, so it's not going in a direction
Hmm, thanks, I'll have to try out some different things. I just feel like hair in a low ponytail or bun is kind of frumpy looking

Members don't see this ad :)
oo, thanks, I like that one. That's formal enough for interviews, I'm assuming?
I think it looks more or less formal depending how many pieces you leave out (I try to make it a little sleeker than hers)

Those look very nice, and @mehc012 the point makes it dressier. Not necessary to be quite that pointy -- but it's a "dress flat".

Yes. A gel mani is lovely. One of these days, I'll find the time to get one again...
It looks like you're trying to undercover kick-stab people. I dunno, I just find that level of point extremely off-putting in a flat. Doesn't go with the lines of the shoe at all imo, unlike some heels where it looks appropriate (though I'm still not a huge fan of super-pointy).

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: This made me laugh out loud for like 3 straight minutes....I have no idea why
It looks like you're trying to undercover kick-stab people. I dunno, I just find that level of point extremely off-putting in a flat. Doesn't go with the lines of the shoe at all imo, unlike some heels where it looks appropriate (though I'm still not a huge fan of super-pointy).

Another fun question: coats. What in the world do i buy? I know my trusty North Face won't do here. It's supposed to rain all day on my interview day and I just want to be prepared for everything. (That, and I am always cold so im counting nothing out).

:laugh: Cracked up at this. I agree about the pointy-flats looking off - to me they look like the little elf shoes the castmembers wear at Disneyworld.

Hmm, thanks, I'll have to try out some different things. I just feel like hair in a low ponytail or bun is kind of frumpy looking

Try adding a very discreet bow or 'wrap' to dress up a low pony. The bow pictured is the very largest you'd want, and you'd want a darker color that matches your outfit. But you see how it can dress up a plain pony. I'd try a plain grossgrain ribbon and a size that's a bit smaller but not 'little girl'.

50fa8636cfb0825ed1c77d395028de8b.jpg

On a side note, if anyone can tell me how to downsize these pix, I'd really appreciate it!

Try adding a very discreet bow or 'wrap' to dress up a low pony. The bow pictured is the very largest you'd want, and you'd want a darker color that matches your outfit. But you see how it can dress up a plain pony. I'd try a plain grossgrain ribbon and a size that's a bit smaller but not 'little girl'.

On a side note, if anyone can tell me how to downsize these pix, I'd really appreciate it!
I like 'em big!

I don't think there's any way to wear a bow in your hair and not look like a little girl. I would do that thing where you take a section of your hair and wrap it around the base of your ponytail.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I can't believe bows are acceptable and I didn't know it!! That being said I do love my bun and got lots of compliments at my first two interviews so I will stick with the bun.

Also for people with flyaways, wash your hair the night before the interview, not the morning of. It helps. And use lots of hairspray :)
Just make sure to buy carry-on sized hairspray. I found mine in the travel size section at Fred Meyer

Edit: unless you're checking a bag, but that's generally not recommended

Another fun question: coats. What in the world do i buy? I know my trusty North Face won't do here. It's supposed to rain all day on my interview day and I just want to be prepared for everything. (That, and I am always cold so im counting nothing out).
Two options:

- a nice professional wool long coat ( not a pea coat or a "car" coat) (http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/3/_6212523.jpg )
- a waterproof classic trench a la London Fog; I've this exact with a liner that is quite warm (http://www.londonfog.com/women/oute...phia-long-raincoat-detachable-hood-liner.html)

RE: questions about "fly-aways". When styling your hair, spray your brush/comb with hair spray and rub a dryer sheet (yes, really) over the top of your hair. It will help reduce static as well.

Probably the applewatch is a bad idea because it's flashy and expensive and might be distracting. I'm pretty sure we're supposed to stay away from that.

Reactions: 1 users
It's also clunky and not very 'business professional' looking.
I take my smartwatch (looks very similar to Apple's) off for interviews and replace it with a $12 silver watch from Target that looks more like a professional one.

Last edited:
Two options:

- a nice professional wool long coat ( not a pea coat or a "car" coat) (http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/3/_6212523.jpg )
- a waterproof classic trench a la London Fog; I've this exact with a liner that is quite warm (http://www.londonfog.com/women/oute...phia-long-raincoat-detachable-hood-liner.html)

RE: questions about "fly-aways". When styling your hair, spray your brush/comb with hair spray and rub a dryer sheet (yes, really) over the top of your hair. It will help reduce static as well.
Are peacoats okay for winter though? these coats are too fancy for me to pull off

They're also really LONG. I've never worn a coat that long, it would be so weird!
ya I feel like me wearing the first one would just look like a bathrobe or something... like I said, too fancy for me lol

But I like the second one!

Are peacoats okay for winter though? these coats are too fancy for me to pull off
That's up to you: pea coats are casual weekend wear.

I'm not really sure how to respond to the comments that these coats are too fancy when you're wearing a suit and going to a formal business event. What else would you wear except something appropriate?

Those coats are really beautiful and I can't wait to be able to add pieces like that to my wardrobe! As it is, like most applicants, I am on a very tight budget and will probably have to settle for a pea coat that I already own. @Glazedonutlove, I'm sure adcoms won't obsess over these things. Would it be extra nice to wear one? Sure. But if you can't do it, you can't!

Sorry ladies I'm a little cranky this morning.

It's just a little frustrating to be asked for advice and then the response is, "that looks weird" or "I would look funny in that" or "I've never worn that before" as if any of those are acceptable responses.

For some reason, we don't get those sort of responses in the men's interview clothing threads. It just sounds a little whiny.

If you have something you want to wear and you're comfortable it then so be it. If you're not comfortable wearing a wrap style coat or want something a little shorter then these are fine:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443538886.437431.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443538898.773327.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Those coats are really beautiful and I can't wait to be able to add pieces like that to my wardrobe! As it is, like most applicants, I am on a very tight budget and will probably have to settle for a pea coat that I already own. @Glazedonutlove, I'm sure adcoms won't obsess over these things. Would it be extra nice to wear one? Sure. But if you can't do it, you can't!
Yes no one is going to deny you admission if you show up in a puffer coat.

We've all been there and understand financial concerns. There's no reason you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a coat and if that were the response I would say either don't worry about it or go to Goodwill, or WalMart.

If the question had been, "I can't afford a long coat and only have a pea coat is that Okay?", my response would've been, "sure".

It's just a little frustrating to be asked for advice and then the response is that looks weird or I would look funny in that or I've never worn that before as if any of those are acceptable responses.

For some reason, we don't get those sort of responses in the men's interview clothing threads. It just sounds a little whiny.

If you have something you want to wear and you're comfortable it then so be it. If you're not comfortable wearing a wrap style coat or want something a little shorter then these are fine:

View attachment 196613View attachment 196614
I think I am cranky/loopy as well, been awake for too long :dead:
we always appreciate your advice!

It's just a little frustrating to be asked for advice and then the response is that looks weird or I would look funny in that or I've never worn that before as if any of those are acceptable responses.

View attachment 196613View attachment 196614
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that I wouldn't wear it, just that I was surprised. I don't mean to whine, my bad. I absolutely take your advice as "this is what is fashionable", but I feel like it's still legitimate to have a reaction towards the current fashions. Men's fashions are generally less...surprising...from what I've seen, so I suppose it doesn't seem odd to me that they don't evoke as much response.

In New England I always thought that coats that long were for wimpy out of state people who couldn't adjust to the cold, so I'm a bit biased/surprised to see that they're considered the norm. That's it...just surprise. I will wear an 'adult coat' if it's called for on the interview trail (read: only if there's snow on the ground and the tour goes outside).

I thrifted an emerald trench coat that sort of looks like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d1/62/5e/d1625e32e4099fdcd694627a9749b84d.jpg

It hits below the knee and I took out the big shoulder pads because I figured wearing a suit under it would look extra boxy. Acceptable?

The only other nice-ish coat I have looks like this:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...94-1051d80fed7a/51067fc4f0fdb.preview-620.jpg
From what I can tell, thats a beautiful trench coat

Regarding @Winged Scapula 's advice and people's responses, here's another way to look at things—these coats have a function. It's important to be prepared, especially when you have a job for which you must show up on time and look professional. These types of coat help fulfill this obligation. You shouldn't arrive sopping wet, cold, disheveled or splashed with mud. Then you won't be prepared. It's smart to have a good coat like this, just as it's smart to carry an umbrella, or bring mouthwash. All of these little things enable you to get to work on time, be comfortable, and prevent yourself from getting ill. And, as mentioned earlier, a great suit deserves a great coat, not a purple puffer. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Regarding @Winged Scapula 's advice and people's responses, here's another way to look at things—these coats have a function. It's important to be prepared, especially when you have a job for which you must show up on time and look professional. These types of coat help fulfill this obligation. You shouldn't arrive sopping wet, cold, disheveled or splashed with mud. Then you won't be prepared. It's smart to have a good coat like this, just as it's smart to carry an umbrella, or bring mouthwash. All of these little things enable you to get to work on time, be comfortable, and prevent yourself from getting ill. And, as mentioned earlier, a great suit deserves a great coat, not a purple puffer. :)
Oh man, mouthwash for those places with meals before interviews! UC Davis wins the interview ratings forever for the little touches, like having q-tips, tissues, mouthwash, flossers, tampons (brand name!), and lotion in every bathroom on any floor we spent time on for interview day, water/tissues/sanitizer/moisturizer spaced throughout the MMI area, snacks in the MMI break room (with a bathroom stocked as above), etc.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh man, mouthwash for those places with meals before interviews! UC Davis wins the interview ratings forever for the little touches, like having q-tips, tissues, mouthwash, flossers, tampons (brand name!), and lotion in every bathroom on any floor we spent time on for interview day, water/tissues/sanitizer/moisturizer spaced throughout the MMI area, snacks in the MMI break room (with a bathroom stocked as above), etc.
They must have had one too many applicants with bad breath and dirty ears ;)

They must have had one too many applicants with bad breath and dirty ears ;)
Sounded more like too many anxious/neurotic applicants avoiding the interview day lunch for fear of salad-teeth

It's the definition of 'great' with regards to a coat that seems to be surprising people, not the utility of wearing one. All of the coats mentioned would help with precipitation, cold, mud, etc.

Again, I will trust that the definition of a great coat given here is correct/appropriate...but I reserve my right to be surprised/disappointed/pleased/sad/happy/frustrated/excited/[insert emotion here] with the current fashion trends, even if I recognize the importance of following them. I also want it to be clear that I absolutely, utterly appreciate the efforts of people like Winged Scapula and DokterMom (among others) at educating us on this subject, even if I don't always like the answers I hear. If I were up on these things, I wouldn't be surprised as often! I am sorry if I seem ungrateful, and I don't mean to frustrate anyone.

It's the definition of 'great' with regards to a coat that seems to be surprising people, not the utility of wearing one. All of the coats mentioned would help with precipitation, cold, mud, etc.

Again, I will trust that the definition of a great coat given here is correct/appropriate...but I reserve my right to be surprised/disappointed/pleased/sad/happy/frustrated/excited/[insert emotion here] with the current fashion trends, even if I recognize the importance of following them. I also want it to be clear that I absolutely, utterly appreciate the efforts of people like Winged Scapula and DokterMom (among others) at educating us on this subject, even if I don't always like the answers I hear. If I were up on these things, I wouldn't be surprised as often! I am sorry if I seem ungrateful, and I don't mean to frustrate anyone.

I think that's the point, though---the "great" coats to which I was referring aren't trendy. If anything, all previous advice has suggested staying way from trends, really. These are classic coats that are professional, which is why so many people wear them, and why they were suggested. I don't think the other coats people mentioned are bad coats, or don't do the job. But a long camel coat, a kakhi trench coat---I'm not a fashionista, but there's a reason why people refer to them as wardrobe staples. If anything, just let the people who were going to wear a sweatshirt to their interview read this advice and take it into account :)

I simply believe the suggested coats are consistent with a professional outfit... a long, wool jacket is commensurate with a suit. More say, than a puffer coat. And many of the other coats mentioned (probably yours!) are great as well. It's perhaps not worth comparing one pea coat to another, since they are so similar. These are just tips to create a professional, put-together look.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that's the point, though---the "great" coats to which I was referring aren't trendy. If anything, all previous advice has suggested staying way from trends, really. These are classic coats that are professional, which is why so many people wear them, and why they were suggested. I don't think the other coats people mentioned are bad coats, or don't do the job. But a long camel coat, a kakhi trench coat---I'm not a fashionista, but there's a reason why people refer to them as wardrobe staples. If anything, just let the people who were going to wear a sweatshirt to their interview read this advice and take it into account :)

I simply believe the suggested coats are consistent with a professional outfit... a long, wool jacket is commensurate with a suit. More say, than a puffer coat. And many of the other coats mentioned (probably yours!) are great as well. It's perhaps not worth comparing one pea coat to another, since they are so similar. These are just tips to create a professional, put-together look.
Haha, I don't have a coat...my suit comes with a jacket, right?
My whole point is that we didn't know the coats being recommended were wardrobe staples - that's why we were asking. And our reactions to that were not 'I am going to ignore you', but simply 'wow, really, that is the standard?' I don't think it's necessarily rude to have a reaction to the standard, though I can see why WS would become frustrated if it seems as if the advice she spends so much time giving were being disregarded.

Basically, I'm not debating about what good coats are - if WS and DokterMom agree on it it's better than I would come up with, as I pay little attention to either 'classic' or 'trendy' ideals. I'm simply responding to what WS said and your followup to it (which seemed to imply that people didn't understand the value of wearing a coat, period.)

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that I wouldn't wear it, just that I was surprised. I don't mean to whine, my bad. I absolutely take your advice as "this is what is fashionable", but I feel like it's still legitimate to have a reaction towards the current fashions. Men's fashions are generally less...surprising...from what I've seen, so I suppose it doesn't seem odd to me that they don't evoke as much response.

Perhaps semantics only, but in terms of what's "fashionable" there is what is appropriate and what's trendy and of the moment. For medical interviews, the twain may not meet (or something away from the center of a Venn diagram). So its not that I believe those coats to be "fashionable" in the sense that they are the current trends but rather classic and always appropriate. This is something to aim for in many things in life.

In New England I always thought that coats that long were for wimpy out of state people who couldn't adjust to the cold, so I'm a bit biased/surprised to see that they're considered the norm. That's it...just surprise. I will wear an 'adult coat' if it's called for on the interview trail (read: only if there's snow on the ground and the tour goes outside).

I think you are forgetting (which surprises me as a New Englander) all the protection such a long coat offers. Wearing your nice interview suit with a long coat doesn't only offer wimps extra warmth but it offers you more protection than a short pea or car coat if a car were to splash you or some salt sprayed on you, etc. The pockets are also deeper and may allow *some* of you to forego carrying a purse. ;)

Haha, I don't have a coat...my suit comes with a jacket, right?
My whole point is that we didn't know the coats being recommended were wardrobe staples - that's why we were asking. And our reactions to that were not 'I am going to ignore you', but simply 'wow, really, that is the standard?' I don't think it's necessarily rude to have a reaction to the standard, though I can see why WS would become frustrated if it seems as if the advice she spends so much time giving were being disregarded.

Basically, I'm not debating about what good coats are - if WS and DokterMom agree on it it's better than I would come up with, as I pay little attention to either 'classic' or 'trendy' ideals. I'm simply responding to what WS said and your followup to it (which seemed to imply that people didn't understand the value of wearing a coat, period.)
Thank you for clarifying.

It wasn't that I thought you or others were being rude, I was just mystified by the response.

You see, I thought it was common knowledge that these sort of "great" coats are the standard, are wardrobe staples. I thought the confusion was "what's appropriate for this occasion?". I didn't realize that you really didn't know that these are the coats to have, regardless of the upcoming event, in a professional wardrobe.

So yes, there's a reason every Wallstreet IB has a cashmere black long coat and doesn't wear a pea coat or puffer over his Zegna suit. You are entering a professional world and if you want to shine and look the part (or what many of us believe the part to be; and believe us, we understand that physicians especially women physicians are not generally the most stylish), then I consider the following as wardrobe staples:

- a long waterproof trench coat, either black or khaki
- a knee length or longer camel coat, wool, cashmere (or camelhair if one can afford)
- a knee length or longer black coat, wool or cashmere

There is definitely room for "fun" coats; you start with the classics and build from there.

For frame of reference: not only do I enjoy clothes but in my specialty and especially in my area, most people (male and female) dress up for clinic/office days. So yeah, you don't have to have "X" reaction to my advice and can take it or leave it. What I was objecting to was the sense (I had which was obviously wrong) that some were asking advice and then rejecting it because they didn't like the answer.

Thank you for clarifying.

It wasn't that I thought you or others were being rude, I was just mystified by the response.

You see, I thought it was common knowledge that these sort of "great" coats are the standard, are wardrobe staples. I thought the confusion was "what's appropriate for this occasion?". I didn't realize that you really didn't know that these are the coats to have, regardless of the upcoming event, in a professional wardrobe.

So yes, there's a reason every Wallstreet IB has a cashmere black long coat and doesn't wear a pea coat or puffer over his Zegna suit. You are entering a professional world and if you want to shine and look the part (or what many of us believe the part to be; and believe us, we understand that physicians especially women physicians are not generally the most stylish), then I consider the following as wardrobe staples:

- a long waterproof trench coat, either black or khaki
- a knee length or longer camel coat, wool, cashmere (or camelhair if one can afford)
- a knee length or longer black coat, wool or cashmere

There is definitely room for "fun" coats; you start with the classics and build from there.

For frame of reference: not only do I enjoy clothes but in my specialty and especially in my area, most people (male and female) dress up for clinic/office days. So yeah, you don't have to have "X" reaction to my advice and can take it or leave it. What I was objecting to was the sense (I had which was obviously wrong) that some were asking advice and then rejecting it because they didn't like the answer.

So why does a complete professional wardrobe include long wool coats in both black and camel? Camel just never seems right for winter. It's so bright.

So why does a complete professional wardrobe include long wool coats in both black and camel? Camel just never seems right for winter. It's so bright.
There are just some things that look better with camel. I've never thought of as "bright" (then again, I love winter white as well).

Perhaps semantics only, but in terms of what's "fashionable" there is what is appropriate and what's trendy and of the moment. For medical interviews, the twain may not meet (or something away from the center of a Venn diagram). So its not that I believe those coats to be "fashionable" in the sense that they are the current trends but rather classic and always appropriate. This is something to aim for in many things in life.

I think you are forgetting (which surprises me as a New Englander) all the protection such a long coat offers. Wearing your nice interview suit with a long coat doesn't only offer wimps extra warmth but it offers you more protection than a short pea or car coat if a car were to splash you or some salt sprayed on you, etc. The pockets are also deeper and may allow *some* of you to forego carrying a purse. ;)
Haha, I think you overestimate my fashion sense...I don't even remotely know what terminology to use. Before this thread, I had never even heard of a 'shell' or considered purchasing heels to wear with a suit. When I moved to CA, if you didn't count activity-specific ones (cleats, water shoes, snowboard boots, etc), my shoe wardrobe consisted of:
1 pair sneakers
1 pair flip flops
1 pair black clogs for 'nice' events

and I had never remotely considered purchasing a dress (I did own a skirt, purchased under extreme duress once my family discovered I wasn't going to wear one for college graduation...actually dragged to the mall by my grandmother the day of graduation).

I didn't even own any pants other than jeans and sweats (not even khakis). I've never owned a purse, or even a wallet not made out of duct tape.

So, yeah...this thread is gold and very much appreciated, because nothing was common knowledge to me coming in!

(Note: for the record, I wasn't a complete idiot about everything, I just never bothered to learn anything beyond broad strokes/my default fashion sense because 99% of the time it didn't apply to my life).

Reactions: 2 users
@mehc012 - I can understand that you may not be familiar with some of the terminology or ever owned any of the relevant items but surely you've seen a woman wearing a business suit before? In tv or film, magazines or newspapers? I mean, I've never watched a soccer game or played one in my life but I've observed casually that the players wear certain types of garments and shoes. You've had no adult events which required something nicer than jeans, not even a nice pair of trousers (a wedding baby shower church, a special date)? Whew...we have our work cut out here, don't we? LOL....

Well I owe *you* a thank you, as I've never heard of "wallet(s) made of duct tape". I learned something today. :)

What is the general opinion on pant-suits. I've seen it a bit on this thread, and have heard it before that skirt suits are generally more professional. However, in my experience, I have found I am much more comfortable in my pant suit. I feel more powerful in pants than in a restrictive skirt. Is it appropriate to forgo the skirt for these reasons?

What is the general opinion on pant-suits. I've seen it a bit on this thread, and have heard it before that skirt suits are generally more professional. However, in my experience, I have found I am much more comfortable in my pant suit. I feel more powerful in pants than in a restrictive skirt. Is it appropriate to forgo the skirt for these reasons?

Yeah, you can wear a pants suit. Especially if it will make you feel more comfortable and confident. (I think deciding between a pants or skirt suit is splitting hairs anyway.) Focus on a good fit.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but are purses okay for interview day, or do people bring leather portfolios? I'm lost!

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but are purses okay for interview day, or do people bring leather portfolios? I'm lost!
Yes, asked before; big debate actually.

Its ok to bring none, one or both. Applicants do all 3. Do what works best for you. Just don't bring a huge tote bag that makes us wonder what you could possibly need in that bag during an interview.