Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The main thing I am pretty sure we all 100% agreed on is you need a place to stash your bottle of mouthwash.

Bra is fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the general opinion on pant-suits. I've seen it a bit on this thread, and have heard it before that skirt suits are generally more professional. However, in my experience, I have found I am much more comfortable in my pant suit. I feel more powerful in pants than in a restrictive skirt. Is it appropriate to forgo the skirt for these reasons?

I'd say that USED to be true, but that nowadays (last 10-20 years) the distinction is all but gone -- even here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
isn't that surprising since many surgery fields have a low percent of women?
Agreed. I'd say the last bastion of women should wear skirts is for the surgery oral board exams. Still currently recommended although many ignore this decree.

There are just some things that look better with camel. I've never thought of as "bright" (then again, I love winter white as well).

I guess everything that isn't black seems bright to me after living in New York for years.

Do you think camel goes better than black with a navy suit?

@mehc012 - I can understand that you may not be familiar with some of the terminology or ever owned any of the relevant items but surely you've seen a woman wearing a business suit before? In tv or film, magazines or newspapers? I mean, I've never watched a soccer game or played one in my life but I've observed casually that the players wear certain types of garments and shoes. You've had no adult events which required something nicer than jeans, not even a nice pair of trousers (a wedding baby shower church, a special date)? Whew...we have our work cut out here, don't we? LOL....

Well I owe *you* a thank you, as I've never heard of "wallet(s) made of duct tape". I learned something today. :)
Oh, I had orchestra events and concerts in high school, but I outgrew all of my nice black pants at some point and had no cause to replace them until after college.
Sure, I had seen business clothes in passing in TV and movies, but a) Hollywood often does not equal real life and b) they far more often show business casual than full business for women. Keep in mind, the details discussed here are often pretty minor - the length of a coat, the color and material of socks - or else interview-specific...you guys have frequently said 'that looks nice, but is not appropriate for an interview'. Heck, for all I knew, full-length coats could be one of those things that looks nice, but is too trendy instead of classic!

I've been to one wedding, but my family is tiny, so I was automatically bridesmaid → clothes picked and purchased for me. I never went to prom, I don't go to church, never had a date, I've never interviewed for anything before and I don't work in a high-powered industry. I never read magazines or newspapers until recently and my friends used to call me 'culturally illiterate' for my general unfamiliarity with 'classic' movies. I mostly just read books growing up - sometimes several in a day - or was busy doing stuff. I did start watching TV, but let's be real, other formalwear - especially TV's version - seems to be a world apart from interview wear.

Honestly, outside of medicine, law, and Wall street, how often do women wear full suits regularly? Even in TV shows...I now watch Suits, which of course has it (though many, many of the suits shown for both men and women don't seem to pass the interview standards), but otherwise I don't think I've really seen full business formal on women very frequently. Generally, if guys are wearing suits, it's an excuse for the producers to whip out their Oscar-worthy dresses and hairstylists for the girls.

I knew that suits were appropriate and included matching jacket and pants, that some form of nice shoe was required, etc...as I said in my first post, I'm not stupid and I had attended some nice events before (well, actually, I had had orchestra concerts that I played in and those I attended, and I wore basically the same outfit to every instance of both), but I had never worn a full suit before. To my knowledge, my mother does not even own one, and I have also never seen my grandmother (who dresses the most nicely of all of us) in a full suit. So yes...I could have put together something based on general cultural awareness and movies that looked OK for an interview, but I would never have picked up on the jacket length detail right out of the gate, or guessed the importance of heels (and the socks you wear with them). So a lot of the things discussed here are new!

Similarly, you could pick an outfit for soccer - the broad strokes, at least. But there'd probably be some minor things that stood out to those who had been in the game for decades. You might wear a grey shirt to a pickup game, or forget to bring a white, or what have you. That's fine in soccer, where nobody really gives a rat's behind, but it seems that in interviews these minor details matter, at least a little, and those are what we've been talking about here.

Anywho, I shan't derail further, but I just wanted to give an idea of where at least one of us in this thread has been coming from, so you see how far you've brought us despite any complaining!

isn't that surprising since many surgery fields have a low percent of women?
Not really.

Surgery is a conservative field and therefore, tend toward more conservative dress which is, in this case, women wearing skirts.

After all, women weren't allowed to wear pants on the floor of the Senate until 1993.

If I wear pants with heels, I don't wear any kind of hose or sock, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is really changing my outlook about how I dress myself. I'm kinda getting into the whole idea of becoming a professional lady. (Lol, does that sound like I'm some sort of prostitute?) I'm even kinda feeling that I want to wear hose with my skirt suit. Thanks to everyone giving advice!

Reactions: 5 users
How would it appear if I carried in my bag a second pair of shoes meant for touring around the campus (comfortable flats), and then wore my heels for the interview? Would that be too ridiculous?

Agreed. I'd say the last bastion of women should wear skirts is for the surgery oral board exams. Still currently recommended although many ignore this decree.
It's about an even ratio of skirts to pantsuits for the Ob-Gyn Boards.

It's about an even ratio of skirts to pantsuits for the Ob-Gyn Boards.
I'm comfortable in skirts although I'd probably fidget less in trousers.

I was surprised when I was advised to wear a skirt (and to "nerd it up") for my exam. Some things are still quite conservative.

Are clear and pale pink really the only appropriate nail polish colors? What about a very subdued taupe?

Are clear and pale pink really the only appropriate nail polish colors? What about a very subdued taupe?
If interview rules are the same as sorority recruitment rules for nail polish, then taupe is fine. As long as by taupe you mean a light beige, not a light brown.
But frankly, nail polish is optional, so if you're going to put some on, why not just play it safe and do a light pink or clear polish?

If interview rules are the same as sorority recruitment rules for nail polish, then taupe is fine. As long as by taupe you mean a light beige, not a light brown.
But frankly, nail polish is optional, so if you're going to put some on, why not just play it safe and do a light pink or clear polish?

I mean taupe as in taupe. A light grayish-brown. My reasons for this are a) I think taupe looks better with navy and oxblood than pink and b) I'm a nail polish addict.

(Also.... sorority recruitment rules for nail polish?????? Lol.)

I mean taupe as in taupe. A light grayish-brown. My reasons for this are a) I think taupe looks better with navy and oxblood than pink and b) I'm a nail polish addict.

(Also.... sorority recruitment rules for nail polish?????? Lol.)
Yes there are rules. Very specific rules. Sororities are very... Peculiar.

Like any color, there are many shades of taupe. I think a light taupe would probably be OK, but a darker shade would be too much.

As with everything though, you can do whatever you feel like doing. I'm just wearing a slightly pink hued top coat.

Yes there are rules. Very specific rules. Sororities are very... Peculiar.

Like any color, there are many shades of taupe. I think a light taupe would probably be OK, but a darker shade would be too much.

As with everything though, you can do whatever you feel like doing. I'm just wearing a slightly pink hued top coat.

Yeah, every time I hear something about a sorority I'm just baffled. Whyyyyyyyy...

Anyway, I'm hoping as long as it's a nearly natural shade that wouldn't be distracting at all, it's probably fine.

Taupe is OK through early-fall and in warmer climates, but less so in the north, east and winter. (Yes, seriously...)

How would it appear if I carried in my bag a second pair of shoes meant for touring around the campus (comfortable flats), and then wore my heels for the interview? Would that be too ridiculous?

Seems to be common, but dressy shoes you can actually walk in are better. If you do go the 'walking flats' route, make sure those shoes are acceptable also and don't look ridiculous with your interview clothes.

Nope -- The whole 'rainbow of nail polish colors' is a recent phenomenon. The idea that someone might wear green nail polish to match a green dress would have been utterly shocking 20 years ago, and older AdComs will still find it vaguely horrifying.

Your nails should appear natural and healthy, so clear, light pink, 'shell' pink only. NO on the grey tones. Use the "If it weren't nail polish and my nails were really this color, would it look healthy?" test.

Pro tip: If you are wearing shoes with skinny heels, watch out for grates/sewers. If you step in one, you will rip the heel off, and you will fall in front of dozens of people, and it will be very embarrassing. :arghh:

Reactions: 3 users
Pro tip: If you are wearing shoes with skinny heels, watch out for grates/sewers. If you step in one, you will rip the heel off, and you will fall in front of dozens of people, and it will be very embarrassing. :arghh:
Oh nooo, did this happen to you, and at an interview? Hope you're okay! :wideyed:

Oh nooo, did this happen to you, and at an interview? Hope you're okay! :wideyed:

Yes :( Luckily the shoe was flexible enough that my foot just ripped right out of it, otherwise I imagine I could have hurt myself. And luckily it was before the interview, as I was walking into the building, so I don't think any adcoms saw it happen. The shoe is a little beat up, but still wearable. I did get multiple compliments on them, though!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi ladies! Would love get your thoughts here. I am worried about bringing my most professional bag with me to my interview because it is Kate Spade. I got it for $100, but the normal price for this bag was something close to $400. I am anxious about how carrying this bag will make me look in the interview setting.

What do you all think? Would this be an appropriate bag to carry on my interview?

It is maybe worth noting that nothing else about my outfit is gaudy.
WKRU2486_001_4.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Holy crap that's a great bag. Use the heck out of it.

Reactions: 6 users
Holy crap that's a great bag. Use the heck out of it.
I agree, it's a beautiful bag! I think the logo no-no is the kind of print on a Louis Vutton (can't even spell it) bag.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope -- The whole 'rainbow of nail polish colors' is a recent phenomenon. The idea that someone might wear green nail polish to match a green dress would have been utterly shocking 20 years ago, and older AdComs will still find it vaguely horrifying.

Your nails should appear natural and healthy, so clear, light pink, 'shell' pink only. NO on the grey tones. Use the "If it weren't nail polish and my nails were really this color, would it look healthy?" test.

I think this is dumb. There are a whole bunch of colors that are very subtle and inconspicuous that are used for manicures that aren't pink. People have ranges of skin tones. I'm not talking about green. I'm talking about something that nobody would even notice unless they were looking for it.

I think this is dumb. There are a whole bunch of colors that are very subtle and inconspicuous that are used for manicures that aren't pink. People have ranges of skin tones. I'm not talking about green. I'm talking about something that nobody would even notice unless they were looking for it.

Like what? Pix?

Like what? Pix?
Essie-Nails.jpg

Like pretty much everything in that first row and like half of the second row and then lots of the other colors. This is what I'm saying. There's soooooooo many colors that aren't clear or shell pink that I can't imagine being like... seriously inappropriate to the point of causing a problem at an interview. Lol.

@SallySue1202 that bag is beautiful- please use it! I think the label is small enough, too... but if for some reason you feel uncomfortable just turn the bag around and hold the side with the label against your body.

Super jealous that you got that for $100.

So I just went to get my hair cut and now it's completely destroyed. If I shaved my head and just started wearing a wig, do you think adcoms would notice?

So I just went to get my hair cut and now it's completely destroyed. If I shaved my head and just started wearing a wig, do you think adcoms would notice?
You're lying?! This is the reason why I keep telling my spouse no, I am not to going to the stylist atm. I'm so afraid it's going to fall wrong or goshknows what.

Odd post but r these hose suitable or too light..

Attachments

• 20151002_164255.jpg
    20151002_164255.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 130
Hi ladies! Would love get your thoughts here. I am worried about bringing my most professional bag with me to my interview because it is Kate Spade. I got it for $100, but the normal price for this bag was something close to $400. I am anxious about how carrying this bag will make me look in the interview setting.

What do you all think? Would this be an appropriate bag to carry on my interview?

It is maybe worth noting that nothing else about my outfit is gaudy.
View attachment 196719
That bag is perfectly fine and you should feel comfortable using it.

The issue with bags at interview is really those that are heavily logoed or extremely expensive (think Gucci, Chanel). Kate Spade does not fit those categories especially given that you can find them at outlets and Nordstrom Rack for much less than retail.

It has been said before, but I'll say it again: thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone giving advice in this forum. I felt very appropriately dressed throughout my first interview, and it was a great relief to have one less thing to worry about. I'm not a fashionista and probably never will be, so having a set of guidelines was very helpful.

Odd post but r these hose suitable or too light..

If that's your 'un-hosed' foot on the left, then yes, they're too light and look unnatural. If you're wearing a pants suit though, you could slide by, or just switch to trouser socks.

You're lying?! This is the reason why I keep telling my spouse no, I am not to going to the stylist atm. I'm so afraid it's going to fall wrong or goshknows what.

Yeah, be careful. I had really long hair and I don't cut it very often, plus I just moved, so I don't have a stylist I trust.

anigif_original-grid-image-5533-1420850290-5.gif

I just got my nails done with a color I thought would be a nice barely there pink, but it came out a lot more pastel then I thought it would.. Do y'all think I should take it off? Or am I being silly?

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 217
I just got my nails done with a color I thought would be a nice barely there pink, but it came out a lot more pastel then I thought it would.. Do y'all think I should take it off? Or am I being silly?
I wouldn't worry about it (but you might consider getting your money back because it looks like a sloppy job with the polish clumped up around the cuticles).