Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You will not be standing for the interview. Except in the most severe cases of LMS (Little Man Syndrome), the combined 8 seconds of "towering over" an interviewer will not intimidate anyone nor affect his/her opinion of you.
Yep.

Physicians aren't exactly known for their inferiority complexes.

Don't worry about it and wear your heels proudly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does height play a factor in whether or not to wear heels? I'm 5' 10" so I run the risk of towering over interviewers if I pick a heel more than like 2 inches tall.
Lol, I'm 6'1 pushing 6'2 and wore heels. I think all the other people I interviewed with were <5'7, but I think it is definitely an opportunity to stand out. Plus you can see over everyone on the tour even in the back :)

Sadly, my prized interview heels are currently out of commission because the heels have worn down to the nail. I won't be able to repair them before my next interview, but I do have a pair of wedges that I can wear in the meantime. I know wedges are considered less formal, but will these be acceptable with a pantsuit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, my prized interview heels are currently out of commission because the heels have worn down to the nail. I won't be able to repair them before my next interview, but I do have a pair of wedges that I can wear in the meantime. I know wedges are considered less formal, but will these be acceptable with a pantsuit?

Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Re: flats

Flats unfortunately are considered less professional and especially in the case of young, slim women, have the unfortunate ability to make you look immature.

Secondly, you are not going to be walking around all day. There's a great deal of sitting around and therefore outside of any physical deformity you should be able to tolerate walking in heels. As we've mentioned before, even a small kitten heel is more professional looking and flattering.
I found some wonderful small heels today that will look great with my outfit. I seemed to be walking fine in them which was an added plus. Thank you for suggesting the change from flats to heels as I find I look 10x more professional with the heels.
heels.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I found some wonderful small heels today that will look great with my outfit. I seemed to be walking fine in them which was an added plus. Thank you for suggesting the change from flats to heels as I find I look 10x more professional with the heels. View attachment 196782

Hey, I have that counter :D Exact same granite lol.

Does anyone have tips for hemming suit pants? Besides what eHow can tell me? Because if a tailor costs more than $20 I'm just going to do it myself and I don't want to screw it up.

I'm going to echo @gyngyn here and strongly suggest you find a tailor. As someone who has to buy "petite short" pants I have lots of experience with needing things hemmed! Also, a simple hem won't break the bank and is less risky IMO than trying to do it yourself. I've had a couple incidents where I've done it myself and the stitching ended up crooked or one leg shorter than the other - though I'm sure you'd be much more careful with your interview suit :p

I flipped through the last few pages of this thread and saw how most people recommended heels over flats. Will it make much of a difference if we are wearing pantsuits instead of skirts? I did already buy a pair of flats since I figured it would be tiring to walk everywhere on the tour in heels especially if we aren't used to it. Are these flats ok for an interview? Thank you for your advice!

The color is "Metallic Tweed" (link doesn't automatically take you to that color)
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-94...=10&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-Fd20stgNlKQ0swqL5MVPFQ

I flipped through the last few pages of this thread and saw how most people recommended heels over flats. Will it make much of a difference if we are wearing pantsuits instead of skirts? I did already buy a pair of flats since I figured it would be tiring to walk everywhere on the tour in heels especially if we aren't used to it. Are these flats ok for an interview? Thank you for your advice!

The color is "Metallic Tweed" (link doesn't automatically take you to that color)
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-94...=10&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-Fd20stgNlKQ0swqL5MVPFQ

Those look business casual to me. Like they would go with a nice sweater, not a suit.

Reactions: 2 users
So I attended my first interview last week, and I definitely felt good about my outfit choice, thanks everyone! I will say I am glad I invested in a pair of nice heels, they definitely looked more formal even though they aren't very high! Quick tip, though, if you do opt for a mani in a visible color, make sure it's fresh, chipped polish kind of spoils the look.

Reactions: 2 users
I found some wonderful small heels today that will look great with my outfit. I seemed to be walking fine in them which was an added plus. Thank you for suggesting the change from flats to heels as I find I look 10x more professional with the heels. View attachment 196782
You're welcome. :)

Those look business casual to me. Like they would go with a nice sweater, not a suit.
I'd venture they don't even qualify for business casual but rather regular old casual.

I really cannot recommend these for a formal medical school interview.

By the way, how far do you guys estimate you're really walking? Perhaps my sense of distance has faded with old-age but even now with residency interviews, I don't feel like we walk so far that people have to wear flats.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, how far do you guys estimate you're really walking? Perhaps my sense of distance has faded with old-age but even now with residency interviews, I don't feel like we walk so far that people have to wear flats.

We didn't walk much at all at my interview. My feet didn't hurt one bit at the end of the day, even wearing heels with my deformed feet. If I survived in heels, anyone can :p

I'd venture they don't even qualify for business casual but rather regular old casual.

Thanks for your input! I'll look for other shoes then. I'm just more comfortable in flats than heels but I'm almost getting the sense that wearing flats might even turn some people off because it's less professional than heels..

I'm gonna wear my hiking boots in case we have to do any hills or scramble over some rocks.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for your input! I'll look for other shoes then. I'm just more comfortable in flats than heels...

Well sure, I'm more comfortable in a bathing suit and flip flops but you don't see me wearing them to work (any more). :p

...but I'm almost getting the sense that wearing flats might even turn some people off because it's less professional than heels..

Unlikely but its these subtle first impressions that are important AND something you can CONTROL. Why not?

I'm going to echo @gyngyn here and strongly suggest you find a tailor. As someone who has to buy "petite short" pants I have lots of experience with needing things hemmed! Also, a simple hem won't break the bank and is less risky IMO than trying to do it yourself. I've had a couple incidents where I've done it myself and the stitching ended up crooked or one leg shorter than the other - though I'm sure you'd be much more careful with your interview suit :p
Definitely money well spent.

Despite my ability to sew, I used Stitch Witchery for years. Sometimes I even resorted to masking tape in a pinch. Even when I did sew them,it never looked as good as a professional tailor.

You know what? People can tell.

Bring your interview shoes and have someone do it for you.

I walked a lot, but that was because it was an MD/PhD interview and I had interviews in the medical school, different biology/research buildings, and the hospital, so I was criss-crossing campus for 2 days. I also had a tour and some downtime in which I explored campus.

Edit: I did wear comfortable heels, and I'm glad I did. they look more professional than flats. However, I will say that a nice pair of flats looks more professional than wobbling/limping all over in heels you can't walk in.

So, like many others, I've never worn a pantsuit before and have two questions about what's normal/acceptable while doing so:

1) Should I expect to take my blazer off during the interview, or will I be wearing the jacket the whole time? Asking because I would love to wear a short sleeved blouse underneath, but I have tattoos on my wrists that I need to keep covered during the interview. If it's "normal" to just keep the blazer on the whole time I won't worry about it, but if there's a chance I'll remove it I need to be wearing a long-sleeved blouse.

2) WHAT the heck kind of coat do I wear over a pantsuit for a cold weather interview? I feel like a peacoat will be too bulky over my blazer and I'll look like I'm just wearing two jackets. But isn't a puffy coat too casual? My personal winter style is usually to find giant, cozy men's jackets at a thrift store and rock them throughout the cold season, so I don't own any remotely professional coats and need to figure this situation out.

THANK YOU for any guidance and advice! Grateful to have been perusing this thread.

I dig your style, @StarshinePeanutBlossom.

Also blazer stays on. No peacoats. They were posting links to professional overcoats a couple pages back.

And good luck, for reals!

So, like many others, I've never worn a pantsuit before and have two questions about what's normal/acceptable while doing so:

1) Should I expect to take my blazer off during the interview, or will I be wearing the jacket the whole time? Asking because I would love to wear a short sleeved blouse underneath, but I have tattoos on my wrists that I need to keep covered during the interview. If it's "normal" to just keep the blazer on the whole time I won't worry about it, but if there's a chance I'll remove it I need to be wearing a long-sleeved blouse.

2) WHAT the heck kind of coat do I wear over a pantsuit for a cold weather interview? I feel like a peacoat will be too bulky over my blazer and I'll look like I'm just wearing two jackets. But isn't a puffy coat too casual? My personal winter style is usually to find giant, cozy men's jackets at a thrift store and rock them throughout the cold season, so I don't own any remotely professional coats and need to figure this situation out.

THANK YOU for any guidance and advice! Grateful to have been perusing this thread.

coats like these pretty things that WingedScapula shared: (http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Gigantic/3/_6212523.jpg )
& a waterproof classic trench (http://www.londonfog.com/women/oute...phia-long-raincoat-detachable-hood-liner.html)

Hello! Thank you all for your advice! I've learned a lot from my several hours of perusing!

I'd prefer to wear a dress/suit jacket for my upcoming interview. I'm wondering if this dress would be appropriate http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-...black?ef_id=Vgi0GAAAAOS8KPq9:20151011072618:s if I can find a perfectly matching (fabric and tone of black) jacket to go with it? I love the dress, but not certain if the hardware or neckline are appropriately professional.

Edit: I felt inclined to mention that I am also short, so the dress hits well below my knees, unlike where it is falling on the model.

If the dress doesn't work, I think I will try a black skirt suit. I'm a curvier gal, and I don't love pencil skirts. I found this trumpet skirt, but I'm just wondering if the sleeker silhouette of a pencil skirt is preferred?

Trumpet:
https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi35580&defaultColor=0684&N=11649+11585&selectedConcept=&_=1444543395561&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId:TalbotsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

Pencil:
https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi33233&defaultColor=7002&N=11649+11585&selectedConcept=&_=1444543395561&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId:TalbotsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

Hello! Thank you all for your advice! I've learned a lot from my several hours of perusing!

I'd prefer to wear a dress/suit jacket for my upcoming interview. I'm wondering if this dress would be appropriate http://www.zappos.com/calvin-klein-...black?ef_id=Vgi0GAAAAOS8KPq9:20151011072618:s if I can find a perfectly matching (fabric and tone of black) jacket to go with it? I love the dress, but not certain if the hardware or neckline are appropriately professional.

Edit: I felt inclined to mention that I am also short, so the dress hits well below my knees, unlike where it is falling on the model.

If the dress doesn't work, I think I will try a black skirt suit. I'm a curvier gal, and I don't love pencil skirts. I found this trumpet skirt, but I'm just wondering if the sleeker silhouette of a pencil skirt is preferred?

Trumpet:
https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi35580&defaultColor=0684&N=11649+11585&selectedConcept=&_=1444543395561&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId:TalbotsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

Pencil:
https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi33233&defaultColor=7002&N=11649+11585&selectedConcept=&_=1444543395561&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId:TalbotsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

I think might have a hard time matching that dress. You pretty much need to buy things that were made specifically to be worn together.

Definitely pencil over trumpet. Besides pencil skirts looking more professional, I'm also curvy and I don't see why a trumpet skirt would be more flattering. I tend to think the opposite, actually. Pencil skirts and more fitted clothes (fitted, though, not tight) always look much better than flouncy feminine things, imo.

Trumpet:

Pencil:
A suit is 2 pieces that were made to go together and match perfectly. You can't buy one then look for the matching piece.

A pencil skirt suit will be 10x more flattering, even if you're curvy!

Trumpet:

Pencil:
Have you considered choosing one of the jackets pictured with the Talbots skirts? That would give you a suit and effectively complete your outfit. No need for the dress or effort finding another matching jacket! Also, I don't think the trumpet skirt is the worst thing. In fact, I think the navy suit (first Talbots link) is beautiful. Definitely not the beige. But if a pencil skirt doesn't fit/work for you, it doesn't work!

God, you guys, this thread has been so helpful to my life in so many ways.

Yesterday I was at a conference where all the presenters were male MDs or Ph.Ds except for one woman who was in the process of getting her Ph.D but who had been mentored by one of the top MDs in the field.

Everyone else wore the usual suit. Simple. Neat.

She wore a suit, with a tasteful scarf for color. BUT. She had dark shiny epaulets that sparkled under the lights like disco glitter. And she wore that third I'm-on-a-date button undone on her shirt.

She presented poorly, but almost as soon as she began people began to file out in a long, steady, painful trickle.

She looked, in essence, like she knew the quality of her thoughts were not going to impress, so she'd tried to impress with her clothes. As a woman, it was so depressing, watching the only woman presenter die on stage, dressed like she knew she was going to die on stage.

Total object lesson in why everyone here recommends super-conservative clothes. Made me feel like the point here is really to embolden young(ish) women to take a serious moment to let their personalities and minds shine more than their clothes and make-up.

This is probably a meta moment not appropriate for this thread or for Sunday morning for that matter. But I did want to let you guys know how much my thoughts on this have changed. THANKS AGAINNNN.

Reactions: 6 users
God, you guys, this thread has been so helpful to my life in so many ways.

Yesterday I was at a conference where all the presenters were male MDs or Ph.Ds except for one woman who was in the process of getting her Ph.D but who had been mentored by one of the top MDs in the field.

Everyone else wore the usual suit. Simple. Neat.

She wore a suit, with a tasteful scarf for color. BUT. She had dark shiny epaulets that sparkled under the lights like disco glitter. And she wore that third I'm-on-a-date button undone on her shirt.

She presented poorly, but almost as soon as she began people began to file out in a long, steady, painful trickle.

She looked, in essence, like she knew the quality of her thoughts were not going to impress, so she'd tried to impress with her clothes. As a woman, it was so depressing, watching the only woman presenter die on stage, dressed like she knew she was going to die on stage.

Total object lesson in why everyone here recommends super-conservative clothes. Made me feel like the point here is really to embolden young(ish) women to take a serious moment to let their personalities and minds shine more than their clothes and make-up.

This is probably a meta moment not appropriate for this thread or for Sunday morning for that matter. But I did want to let you guys know how much my thoughts on this have changed. THANKS AGAINNNN.

Yes! Yes! YES! -- This is it exactly! You want your interviewers to come away thinking "She seems very capable" and "She looks confident." Not "She's hot."

Reactions: 4 users
My GF has a PT school interview this month. Is black for a woman's suit off limits like it is for men? As in, it's more suited for a funeral or formal event.

My GF has a PT school interview this month. Is black for a woman's suit off limits like it is for men? As in, it's more suited for a funeral or formal event.

For women, it's fine -- And thanks for noting that for men, it isn't!

almost everyone (men and women) at my interviews have worn black so far

The tours have been an hour at most of my interviews. I don't usually wear heels but I felt fine walking for that long!

Has anyone else noticed how it's next to impossible to find navy suits out there? Everything is black, gray, or prohibitively expensive.

Has anyone else noticed how it's next to impossible to find navy suits out there? Everything is black, gray, or prohibitively expensive.
I went with prohibitively expensive and no ragerts, as they say. BUT one thing I notice about a navy skirt suit is how quickly it can read "airline stewardess" without a little finesse. Just something to calm the raging waves of envy I know you're flinging my way.

ETA: but it *was* prohibitive and everything hurts now.

Last edited:
I went with prohibitively expensive and no ragerts, as they say. BUT one thing I notice about a navy skirt suit is how quickly it can read "airline stewardess" without a little finesse. Just something to calm the raging waves of envy I know you're flinging my way.

ETA: but it *was* prohibitive and everything hurts now.

Where did you get this prohibitively expensive suit? The best one I tried on was at Brooks Brothers, but even at the outlet mall and on sale, it was way too much for me.

Where did you get this prohibitively expensive suit? The best one I tried on was at Brooks Brothers, but even at the outlet mall and on sale, it was way too much for me.
Mine is Theory from Bloomingdales. For my first interview, I flew into San Francisco from the Guatemalan highlands and had one day to find and buy a suit.

The options that fit were this one for $900, by Theory:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444619556.191474.jpg

Or this one for $90, from H&M:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444619878.360856.jpg

CAN YOU SPOT THE SUBTLE DIFFERENCE?? Pls circle Y/N.

P.S. I realize this is terrible bargain shopping but I amortized the Theory suit to $100 per interview and figure it will last me the rest of my life so, please don't judge me for my insane bougie-ness. I bleed.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444619676.129201.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444619676.129201.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 46
The tours have been an hour at most of my interviews. I don't usually wear heels but I felt fine walking for that long!

My tour was about that long too. I was so uncomfortable in the shoes i had on. So now im in the process of finding something with even a smaller heel :( anyone have any suggestions/tips

(I have these now https://m.payless.com/womens/pumps-and-heels/70962.html?dwvar_70962_color=black but yeah. Starting off my day walking up a hill in Scranton wasn't the best start though....)

MAJOR EDIT: i was NOT comfortable. Dear god, best typo ever. Im looking for ideas. :p

Last edited:
Mine is Theory from Bloomingdales. For my first interview, I flew into San Francisco from the Guatemalan highlands and had one day to find and buy a suit.

View attachment 196903

View attachment 196905

P.S. I realize this is terrible bargain shopping but I amortized the Theory suit to $100 per interview and figure it will last me the rest of my life so, please don't judge me for my insane bougie-ness. I bleed.
Its lovely, and I hate to burst your rationalization bubble, but styles change. There will be subtle changes in style every year which add up, after a few years/decades to something that looks horribly out of style. Think about those middle aged women still wearing Laura Ashley style dresses which were considered "work wear" 30 years ago. :p

But you can wear it for residency interviews in 4 years so that will lower the cost.

PS: "subtle difference" - Bloomingdale's dressing rooms are nicer than H&Ms.

Its lovely, and I hate to burst your rationalization bubble, but styles change. There will be subtle changes in style every year which add up, after a few years/decades to something that looks horribly out of style. Think about those middle aged women still wearing Laura Ashley style dresses which were considered "work wear" 30 years ago. :p

But you can wear it for residency interviews in 4 years so that will lower the cost.

PS: "subtle difference" - Bloomingdale's dressing rooms are nicer than H&Ms.
Haha, I also noticed—first thing— the difference in dressing rooms :claps:

I dont want to totally repost, but i had a major boo boo in my last post. Send in help :p

View attachment 196903

View attachment 196905

Your hair looks about identical to mine...how do you wear it for interviews?

My tour was about that long too. I was so uncomfortable in the shoes i had on. So now im in the process of finding something with even a smaller heel :( anyone have any suggestions/tips

(I have these now https://m.payless.com/womens/pumps-and-heels/70962.html?dwvar_70962_color=black but yeah. Starting off my day walking up a hill in Scranton wasn't the best start though....)

MAJOR EDIT: i was NOT comfortable. Dear god, best typo ever. Im looking for ideas. :p
Try brands like Aerosoles, Clark's or Rockport. All specialize in comfortable heels (much more padding in the sole). Also definitely try to find a wider heel (a pump) and something with less of a "spike." That will help immensely!

Try brands like Aerosoles, Clark's or Rockport. All specialize in comfortable heels (much more padding in the sole). Also definitely try to find a wider heel (a pump) and something with less of a "spike." That will help immensely!

Now THAT'S what i needed to hear. I know DSW carries all those brands and im going to look tomorrow. Next interview will be here before i know it.