Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine is Theory from Bloomingdales. For my first interview, I flew into San Francisco from the Guatemalan highlands and had one day to find and buy a suit.

The options that fit were this one for $900, by Theory:

View attachment 196903

Or this one for $90, from H&M:

View attachment 196905

CAN YOU SPOT THE SUBTLE DIFFERENCE?? Pls circle Y/N.

P.S. I realize this is terrible bargain shopping but I amortized the Theory suit to $100 per interview and figure it will last me the rest of my life so, please don't judge me for my insane bougie-ness. I bleed.

Lol, the skirt on that H&M suit looks about 6" shorter. It's like a miniskirt suit. Also, that's pretty good photo quality. Whenever I try to take pics in dressing rooms, I just look like I'm wearing a black sack.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Its lovely, and I hate to burst your rationalization bubble, but styles change. There will be subtle changes in style every year which add up, after a few years/decades to something that looks horribly out of style. Think about those middle aged women still wearing Laura Ashley style dresses which were considered "work wear" 30 years ago. :p

But you can wear it for residency interviews in 4 years so that will lower the cost.

PS: "subtle difference" - Bloomingdale's dressing rooms are nicer than H&Ms.
Oh god all of that is so true. And I was so excited to find the H&M suit. Until I sat down in the dressing room and realized that it showed off three hundred miles of leg.

I'm not at all proud of spending that kind of money on a suit, but doing so definitely made me feel much more thoughtful about why we're doing this. The day I took THOSE photos, I just felt like a victim of the kyriarchy.

Reactions: 1 user
Your hair looks about identical to mine...how do you wear it for interviews?
I finally decided to do half up/half down with a simple gold barrette in the back. Little hairspray to make it smooth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh god all of that is so true. And I was so excited to find the H&M suit. Until I sat down in the dressing room and realized that it showed off three hundred miles of leg.

I'm not at all proud of spending that kind of money on a suit, but doing so definitely made me feel much more thoughtful about why we're doing this. The day I took THOSE photos, I just felt like a victim of the kyriarchy.

GORGEOUS suit! (And you look fabulous in it.) Theory makes some drop-dead gorgeous things... And for what it's worth, I think your amortization theory (pun intended) will pay off in this case. The extra confidence alone can tip the scales. In that suit, you look like you belong in a top-tier professional school, and that's a feeling that's worth something.

Love that 'kyriarchy' word -- a very apt description of much of life.

Reactions: 2 users
GORGEOUS suit! (And you look fabulous in it.) Theory makes some drop-dead gorgeous things... And for what it's worth, I think your amortization theory (pun intended) will pay off in this case. The extra confidence alone can tip the scales. In that suit, you look like you belong in a top-tier professional school, and that's a feeling that's worth something.

Love that 'kyriarchy' word -- a very apt description of much of life.
Aw, thanks, dude. Can I show you the finished product? Since I didn't have time to casually shop around, I used every single one of your guys' suggestions, especially re: burgundy accessories. And I even got the gold earrings a little bigger than studs... Whatever we call those! :)

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444657756.995253.jpg

(I bought a necklace for the next interview. I still wish I had a nice colored top so as to look a little less stewardessy, but I think maybe the shoes and bag do the job.)

And yeah, I think the combo of choosing a really well made suit and having the world's most well-defined business-suit shopping list gave me a ton of confidence. When you're an older student you're especially expected to know how to dress appropriately, I think, and I felt unassailable in this.

I have to go naked for the rest of the year to pay for it, but it'll be alright.

Reactions: 10 users
Aw, thanks, dude. Can I show you the finished product? Since I didn't have time to casually shop around, I used every single one of your guys' suggestions, especially re: burgundy accessories. And I even got the gold earrings a little bigger than studs... Whatever we call those! :)

View attachment 196908

(I bought a necklace for the next interview. I still wish I had a nice colored top so as to look a little less stewardessy, but I think maybe the shoes and bag do the job.)

And yeah, I think the combo of choosing a really well made suit and having the world's most well-defined business-suit shopping list gave me a ton of confidence. When you're an older student you're especially expected to know how to dress appropriately, I think, and I felt unassailable in this.

I have to go naked for the rest of the year to pay for it, but it'll be alright.

You look awesome! What kind of necklace did you get? I'm think about getting some sort of interesting gold chain.

You look awesome! What kind of necklace did you get? I'm think about getting some sort of interesting gold chain.
Thanks very much! I got a necklace that's a bunch of different kinds of slender gold chains strung so they all fall sort of overlapping. Maybe 1.25 inch wide at the widest. Pretty simple but I it has a flowing quality that I like.

Anyway, it's nice to have worked out a uniform! Nothing left to think about ever again. Bring on the scrubs!

Hello again!

After some input from DokterMom I decided to wear a beautiful purple Tahari suit I found while looking for a sheath dress. I've attached two images for your review. The second is a close up of the jacket and shirt. I like the shirt because it gives some texture to the ensemble, but I'm open to something else if it seems inappropriate (I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion). Honestly, its been immensely difficult to find a good blouse - many have front slits (not appropriate for an interview) or they are sheer, have embellishments, etc. Can anyone link to a very simple and affordable shell?

As for my hair, I'm wearing it as is but better styled, almost exactly as it appears on my avatar- half down and the rest tied back with a barette and braided. I wear it like that when I need to contain the volume but my inner layer curls still look nice. I don't plan on carrying a bag (not necessary?), and stockings should hide the sandal tan.

For jewelry I plan to wear only some silver earrings - studs, most likely, unless I find something nicer. I like silver more, and it looks better on me than gold.

Final opinions and/or accessory suggestions would be appreciated, I have my first interview this Friday!
D5CRkxa.jpg

zzZ3W0U.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks very much! I got a necklace that's a bunch of different kinds of slender gold chains strung so they all fall sort of overlapping. Maybe 1.25 inch wide at the widest. Pretty simple but I it has a flowing quality that I like.

Anyway, it's nice to have worked out a uniform! Nothing left to think about ever again. Bring on the scrubs!

Love the pictures! It's so gratifying to see all our good advice being executed so well!

You look great @entresuspiros I think you nailed it with your shell. Earrings but no necklace would be perfect. Is the suit's hardware gold or silver? I'd match it, whatever it is, since it's sort of jewelry.

@pageantry, for a girl who talks "I don't know how to dress" you sure don't look the part! Very, very tasteful, and the burgundy accessories -- Well, you can see why we recommend them! (Bet you intimidated the heck out of most of the other young women there. Unassailable indeed.)

Are pumps that click-clack distracting? vs. rubber-soled.
Is curly hair in a french bun ok? vs. half up/down.
Are wool coats w/ fur-trim hoods or collars ok? Pearl earrings ok?

FYI- I formally dress like pageantry's latest outfit post but it's opposite of people often expect of my profile.

They won't be listening to 'ordinary heel click' so that's fine. Shoes that have dangly bits that make extra noise would be a problem. Curly hair should be controlled to some degree - either bun or half up would be fine. Fur trim is not ideal, but it's not a deal-killer.

Thank you, @DokterMom ! The hardware is more onyx metallic than silver or gold, so I found a pair of earrings that fits it nicely.

Love the pictures! It's so gratifying to see all our good advice being executed so well!
That's great; you guys deserve to feel good. This is a really helpful thing you're all doing. On a lot of levels.

Oh my now I'm all maudlin.

I have a question regarding shirts to wear under the blazer. I'm assuming the higher the neckline, the better? So a shell such as this probably wouldn't be appropriate?
upload_2015-10-12_19-14-31.png

I have a question regarding shirts to wear under the blazer. I'm assuming the higher the neckline, the better? So a shell such as this probably wouldn't be appropriate?
View attachment 196927

On that model, that shell is fine. If you're more busty and you could see cleavage, it wouldn't' be. I don't think that would show cleavage though, so it's probably fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
GUYS I FOUND SHOES.
I can move forward lol

Reactions: 7 users
On that model, that shell is fine. If you're more busty and you could see cleavage, it wouldn't' be. I don't think that would show cleavage though, so it's probably fine.
I have this exact blouse, and usually I'm a 36DD (a bit bigger around that time of month).

No cleavage whatsoever!

I have this exact blouse, and usually I'm a 36DD (a bit bigger around that time of month).

No cleavage whatsoever!

Tough to find a flattering neckline that doesn't show cleavage when that's what you've got to work with... Sexy? Matronly? Or a minimizer bra that squeezes them into your armpits... (Yuck!)

View attachment 196908

Yes, my only suggestion was going to be about the boring blouse but I understand you were under a definite time crunch given your travels. You look wonderful!

Honestly, its been immensely difficult to find a good blouse - many have front slits (not appropriate for an interview) or they are sheer, have embellishments, etc. Can anyone link to a very simple and affordable shell?

Through tonight many stores are having sales. Loft has lots of shells on sale for 50% off, making them between 20 and 30 dollars. Ann Taylor is 40% off, but will run you more (since baseline price is more). If there is a brand you are familiar with, it might be worth ordering online and getting a couple (although they won't be shipped and arrive before Friday), if you can't hit the stores tonight.

Thoughts on outfit? Still working on the shell. Cleavage is not an issue.

474fd0a978374719e658dad10c847491.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 4.36.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 10.39.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 10.40.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.40.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.40.22 PM.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 54
I think the general consensus is to try to find a shell that's not white, lest you seem boring.
Agreed - grey suit, white blouse, pearl earrings ...ho hum.

It's not unacceptable; there's just nothing outstanding about it.

Hopefully the suit fits her better than it does the model who is too tall for that size.

Hi folks, can I please have some feedback on these tops? I picked berry colors because I'm pretty tan. Online and in stores, I'm finding mostly unflattering pinks, creams, and whites so this is the best I could do. What do you think?

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1444766847886.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1444766847886.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 96
Hi folks, can I please have some feedback on these tops? I picked berry colors because I'm pretty tan. Online and in stores, I'm finding mostly unflattering pinks, creams, and whites so this is the best I could do. What do you think?

What color is your suit? I'm kind of unsure about all of these. I don't know if bright colors read as professional. It might depend on the fabric. If these are all jersey knit or similar, then I think they're too casual. It's hard to tell in the picture, though.

What color is your suit? I'm kind of unsure about all of these. I don't know if bright colors read as professional. It might depend on the fabric. If these are all jersey knit or similar, then I think they're too casual. It's hard to tell in the picture, though.

One is black and one is charcoal. My camera doesn't do the colors justice though, everything seems yellower in these pictures.

Attachments

• 1444768390616781251459.jpg
    1444768390616781251459.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 84
While I'm in the mood I guess I'd also like some feedback on makeup/accessories.

Is this eyeshadow too obvious? Is the watch appropriate?

Attachments

• 20151013_132649.jpg
    20151013_132649.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 14447696283882137135284.jpg
    14447696283882137135284.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 129
One is black and one is charcoal. My camera doesn't do the colors justice though, everything seems yellower in these pictures.

I think I would go with the blue.

I agree with @Cotterpin: its hard to tell without knowing your suit color.

However, most important (and again agreeing with @Cotterpin) is the fact that jersey or other knits are too casual. In addition, those very high necklines in the top row are hard to wear and not the most flattering. You need something made of silk or a good facsimile.

However, most important (and again agreeing with @Cotterpin) is the fact that jersey or other knits are too casual. In addition, those very high necklines in the top row are hard to wear and not the most flattering. You need something made of silk or a good facsimile.

Finding the right shirt is killing me right now. I've got a navy suit, so I was thinking maybe an oxford blue dress shirt instead of white. I don't want it to be too boring. Are very subtle patterns like tiny dots and stripes cool?

I ended up going with a sheath dress and jacket just because I gave up finding a shirt. It may be a bit boring, but I was getting really tired of shopping.

I think I would go with the blue.

The blue is also my favorite. It looks okay with the charcoal suit.

I think they are Jersey knit or polyester. Well, I wasn't considering opening my wallet for silk but I guess for the sake of interviews... And yeah I bought the high-neck tops to minimize cleavage but maybe it's at the unflattering point.

Attachments

• 14447721790351145534288.jpg
    14447721790351145534288.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 14447727704761513863659.jpg
    14447727704761513863659.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 109
Can anyone please tell me what is this threaded X on the tail of my suit and what I should do with it?

Attachments

• 20151013_150019-1-1.jpg
    20151013_150019-1-1.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 79
I ended up going with a sheath dress and jacket just because I gave up finding a shirt. It may be a bit boring, but I was getting really tired of shopping.

I feel like I am about to break and do this exact thing.

While I'm in the mood I guess I'd also like some feedback on makeup/accessories.

Is this eyeshadow too obvious? Is the watch appropriate?

The blue is also my favorite. It looks okay with the charcoal suit.

I think they are Jersey knit or polyester. Well, I wasn't considering opening my wallet for silk but I guess for the sake of interviews... And yeah I bought the high-neck tops to minimize cleavage but maybe it's at the unflattering point.

Blue is best, then purple, then red.
Watch is too casual. You don't need to wear one anyway.
Eye makeup is totally fine.

The huge stitches on the jacket tail are just for shipping. Cut them out.

Blue is best, then purple, then red.
Watch is too casual. You don't need to wear one anyway.
Eye makeup is totally fine.

The huge stitches on the jacket tail are just for shipping. Cut them out.

Watch is casual? Darn. Great advice though, thank you.

Are pumps w/ hardware too fancy, specifically these? I don't wear necklaces, rings, or nail polish. Not opposed just wanna avoid looking "expensive"- esp. since I wear pearl studs.
Received scarf suggestion; but again- is it "too luxe"?

Are good earrings & pumps enough to warrant a "skip everything else"?

It might work in your favor to look luxe. I think @pageantry had a great outfit, both expensive and tasteful. Rich and garish are different things. If my weight didn't fluctuate so much and render fashion investments useless, I'd probably spend a pretty penny too.

You guys, the credit card debt I owe on that outfit actually drops to a number indistinguishable from zero if we all collectively agree that anyone who feels the desire is also welcome to use that outfit.

We should invent and buy like twenty outfits in a range of sizes and start a cooperative. Everyone becomes doctors. Everyone gets healed.

Welcome to "Women's Interview Clothing #3!" it all started here.

ETA: the exclamation point.

Reactions: 7 users
You guys, the credit card debt I owe on that outfit actually drops to a number indistinguishable from zero if we all collectively agree that anyone who feels the desire is also welcome to use that outfit.

We should invent and buy like twenty outfits in a range of sizes and start a cooperative. Everyone becomes doctors. Everyone gets healed. Welcome to "women's interview clothing #3!" it all started here.

ETA: the exclamation point.

I'll contribute all of my dress up clothes.

Are pumps w/ hardware too fancy, specifically these? I don't wear necklaces, rings, or nail polish. Not opposed just wanna avoid looking "expensive"- esp. since I wear pearl studs.
Received scarf suggestion; but again- is it "too luxe"?

Are good earrings & pumps enough to warrant a "skip everything else"?
As @halcyonpage notes, there is nothing wrong with looking expensive or luxe; you don't want to look like a gaudy label *****.

I see nothing inherently "expensive" about pearl earrings, shoes with hardware or scarfs. In regards to the shoes you linked, I can't say Im a fan when there are so many others without the embellishment.

Finding the right shirt is killing me right now. I've got a navy suit, so I was thinking maybe an oxford blue dress shirt instead of white. I don't want it to be too boring. Are very subtle patterns like tiny dots and stripes cool?

Subtle prints are fine. Where is it that you guys are shopping that you can't find simple blouses?

A sheath dress and jacket is very nice and appropriate.

Subtle prints are fine. Where is it that you guys are shopping that you can't find simple blouses?

The problem is that there are plenty of plain white dress shirts, plenty of loud crazy shirts, and not very much in the middle. If we were to listen to all of the advice you all have generously given on this thread, the only choices are to either look boring or look unprofessional. The hard part is finding that shirt that is professional but not boring. It doesn't help that the trend colors right now are loud jewel tones.

The problem is that there are plenty of plain white dress shirts, plenty of loud crazy shirts, and not very much in the middle. If we were to listen to all of the advice you all have generously given on this thread, the only choices are to either look boring or look unprofessional. The hard part is finding that shirt that is professional but not boring. It doesn't help that the trend colors right now are loud jewel tones.
I guess I'm still confused: one because jewel tones aren't "loud" unless you mean neon and I'm still confused about where you're shopping because I see plenty of appropriate things.

http://www.anntaylor.com/silky-camp...olor=5129&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/v-neck-sil...olor=5527&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shirt...olor=2810&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/tie-neck-b...olor=9016&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shoul...olor=1427&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/pintucked-...olor=0902&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.loft.com/collarless-util...olor=4556&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/collarless-util...olor=5332&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/tie-neck-blouse...olor=5568&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/shirred-blouse/...olor=4744&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/drapey-split-ne...olor=7366&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

https://www.talbots.com/online/brow...43&defaultColor=9209&N=10157&selectedConcept=

https://www.talbots.com/online/brow...botsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~C6249/C6249.jsp

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~E2366/E2366.jsp

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~E2750/E2750.jsp

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=172118042

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1032848&vid=1&pid=524035072

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...D=Michael Kors&sp=1&spc=208&ruleId=&slotId=34

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...AND=Vince Camuto&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=&slotId=4

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ND=Vince Camuto&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=&slotId=31

http://www.dillards.com/p/antonio-m...acetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

http://www.dillards.com/p/cremieux-...acetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

Amazon product

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-22...-tie-neck-blouse-womens.jsp?color=Dusty Cedar

At any rate, you get the idea. I see stuff everywhere so am confused about others that can't; just wondering what I'm missing.

I guess I'm still confused: one because jewel tones aren't "loud" unless you mean neon and I'm still confused about where you're shopping because I see plenty of appropriate things.

http://www.anntaylor.com/silky-camp...olor=5129&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/v-neck-sil...olor=5527&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shirt...olor=2810&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/tie-neck-b...olor=9016&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-shoul...olor=1427&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.anntaylor.com/pintucked-...olor=0902&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000010

http://www.loft.com/collarless-util...olor=4556&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/collarless-util...olor=5332&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/tie-neck-blouse...olor=5568&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/shirred-blouse/...olor=4744&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

http://www.loft.com/drapey-split-ne...olor=7366&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

https://www.talbots.com/online/brow...43&defaultColor=9209&N=10157&selectedConcept=

https://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi36005&defaultColor=7574&N=10157&No=24&selectedConcept=&_=1444803956478&Nrpp=24&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId:TalbotsSite),OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~C6249/C6249.jsp

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~E2366/E2366.jsp

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops2/topsblouses/PRDOVR~E2750/E2750.jsp

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=172118042

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1032848&vid=1&pid=524035072

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-long-sleeve-pleated-blouse?ID=2252570&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Michael Kors&sp=1&spc=208&ruleId=&slotId=34

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/vince-camuto-sleeveless-collared-blouse?ID=2322243&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Vince Camuto&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=&slotId=4

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/vince-camuto-sleeveless-inverted-pleat-blouse?ID=1786558&CategoryID=255&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Vince Camuto&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=&slotId=31

http://www.dillards.com/p/antonio-melani-yani-button-front-blouse/505010834?di=04347660_zi_blue&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

http://www.dillards.com/p/cremieux-suzy-wrap-front-blouse/505429820?di=04529253_zi_cruise&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

Amazon product

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2206045/lc-lauren-conrad-runway-collection-pintuck-tie-neck-blouse-womens.jsp?color=Dusty Cedar

At any rate, you get the idea. I see stuff everywhere so am confused about others that can't; just wondering what I'm missing.

I've seen most of those shirts already and I don't see why you don't see how most of them contradict a lot of the advice we've been given here. For instance, don't you think that if I wore a navy suit with a dark red, blue, or green shirt that the whole effect would be too dark? Aren't the deep v-necks going to show too much cleavage with my huge boobs? Aren't all those "utility pockets" kinda casual? Many of these shirts are almost completely transparent when you go try them on in the stores (which I have spent many hours doing.) And yes, I think like 50% of those colors are hella loud. I'm not wearing fuschia or orange or bright coral. One of the shirts you linked to was literally in a color called "neon orchid." So what I'm left with are $100 silk shirts in baby blue and white.

(Did you really mean to link that last one with the lacy peter pan collar, the bow, and the pin tucking?)

I understand your concerns but I also believe you are taking the advice too literally. When someone posts a picture and says, "is this ok", if we think something else would be better, we'll mention it. If someone posts something horrific, we'll say something. But if you show up for interview in a black suit and white button front shirt or a lacy collared blouse, its not like its going to torpedo your application

I've seen most of those shirts already and I don't see why you don't see how most of them contradict a lot of the advice we've been given here. For instance, don't you think that if I wore a navy suit with a dark red, blue, or green shirt that the whole effect would be too dark?

Not necessarily. Navy blue and cranberry or green are lovely (I wouldn't wear it with a dark blue, but navy is fine with a grey or charcoal suit). Whether its too dark depends on the actual tone. I've seen a lot of these in person as well and don't think they necessarily translate as too dark especially in the fall and winter. And as @DokterMom has noted, you brighten it up with a scarf or jewelry.

Aren't the deep v-necks going to show too much cleavage with my huge boobs?

I have no idea how large *your* breasts are and my post was made in response to you and several others who claimed they couldn't find anything. V necks aren't necessarily going to show cleavage (I'm a C-D cup myself). My post wasn't directed to you and your body issues but rather to show that there are several options out there that I could find in about 5 minutes at 1130 pm.

Aren't all those "utility pockets" kinda casual?

Generally yes but since you are keeping your jacket on, no one is going to see it, right? I can find plenty of nice blouses without them but just wanted to show that there are options out there.

Many of these shirts are almost completely transparent when you go try them on in the stores (which I have spent many hours doing.)

Obviously that's an issue; I'm fairly sure that's not the case at Ann Taylor since I am quite familiar with their stock but if the others are, then it doesn't translate on line. I specifically looked for that (because I won't wear sheer blouses to the office either). The more sheer blouses are meant to be worn with a camisole underneath; that's not ideal for this situation but there are variations of sheer. Some are literally showing skin through them and others you can see outline of the bra if a light color.

And yes, I think like 50% of those colors are hella loud. I'm not wearing fuschia or orange or bright coral.

Then you have to admit that's a personal preference. You cannot claim you can't find any shirts when one of the reasons you can't is that you simply don't like jewel tones or brighter colors; if you reject 50% of the ones you see, it definitely narrows down your choices but not your options.

One of the shirts you linked to was literally in a color called "neon orchid."

Yes, I noted that and I've also seen that blouse in person and its not that bright. However my intent was to show some styles that have several color options, not that you choose the color that I linked (it was 1130 pm when I posted the above, so I was hardly going to download individual color preferences). I actually eliminated any blouse that only had 1 choice or the choices were limited to white, black and sky blue.

(Did you really mean to link that last one with the lacy peter pan collar, the bow, and the pin tucking?)

I was getting tired by that point and didn't notice the lace. I am not against pin tucking or a bow and I think you guys are being too rigid. What we're offering are suggestions to limit the embellishments but if all you can find is a blouse that has some pin tucking or a utility pocket that no one will see, I cannot say that's wrong.

At any rate, if you are finding that fitting your large bust is an issue, then you may have to consider shopping at stores which carry more expensive lines or even at places like Lane Bryant and having the blouse tailored to the rest of your body.

I suggest Googling for women's silk cowl neck blouses and you'll find several choices if you don't want button front, v neck etc. Most department stores will have standard issue poly/silk button front blouses in the "older ladies" sections. Chicos carries a line of no iron shirts that are nice looking as well but I agree that button front can be difficult for larger breasts.

I'm sorry if I came off as adversarial or argumentative I was truly confused about why you couldn't find anything; now that I see you are trying to adhere to the rules rigidly and then have some of your own rigid preferences, it makes sense.

Last edited: