Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're relatively high (3 inches), but they're outfitted with a bunch of "comfort measures" (gel pads, moleskin, and anti-slip pads)...I'm just worried because the last time I tweaked it this bad I ended up unable to wear heels for about 6 months without heavy ankle PT. I'm going to try to figure something out though!

Hm, I might have to try that. It's more the angle of my foot not being flat that hurts (I tore a bunch of ligaments from being dropped during a line-out) more than the actual fact of putting the weight on the balls of my foot, but maybe a wedge would help some. I'll try it!

Cannot be ballet flats! You can wear flats though. Just need to look and find some that are professional.

You could pop over to the podiatry forum and ask for some suggestions.

I say this as someone who has medical things and can't wear heels. It's never held me back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed and was accepted when I wore my black suit but not accepted/rejected when I wore my navy one

So thoughts on this shirt underneath either a corresponding navy or dark grey suit? Too loud, or considering that only a small part would show, would the darkness of the suit balance it out?
No large abstract prints. No ruffles.
Any single color from this print in a plain shell would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cannot be ballet flats! You can wear flats though. Just need to look and find some that are professional.

You could pop over to the podiatry forum and ask for some suggestions.

I say this as someone who has medical things and can't wear heels. It's never held me back.

Do you mean they just have to have a little lift? I have flats that have maybe an inch wedge-ish type shape but to me, all flats including those look like ballet flats.

Do you mean they just have to have a little lift? I have flats that have maybe an inch wedge-ish type shape but to me, all flats including those look like ballet flats.
A little heel elevation is fine. Pumps are best, though.

Reactions: 1 users
they can also have lift while being flat, if that makes any sense, so that you're still on an even keel but aren't in ballet flats

Are you getting it in that aqua color? If so, def not. It's prob still too much even in black. I like it though.

I just looked again and the color is called peacock. Peacock is not what we are aiming for in this case lol!

Are you getting it in that aqua color? If so, def not. It's prob still too much even in black. I like it though.

Noooo, haha I definitely would have gotten in the navy. But you are probably right. The side buttons are just so flattering on me, alas. I hate the way most things fit, but I will probably just get something tailored. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what shoe brand carries comfortable work heels? Is Clarks a good option?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, what are thoughts on a suit dress paired with a suit jacket? Would that be as appropriate as the pant/skirt suit combo? Thank you!

Quick question, what are thoughts on a suit dress paired with a suit jacket? Would that be as appropriate as the pant/skirt suit combo? Thank you!
As long as they are the same color and fabric, this can be acceptable.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what shoe brand carries comfortable work heels? Is Clarks a good option?
I got great (and comfy) mileage out of my Aerosoles pumps. They tend to be cheaper than Clarks too!

Was trying on a lovely skirt suit and a saleslady told me how great I look. I said "Thanks, I'm just trying not to look like a child playing dress-up" and she says "No, no! You look great!" So I ask her how old she thinks I am -- "Oh maybe 18 or so?"
Hmm, off by about 6 years. Probably not the look I'm going for. Haha I swear I will never find an outfit!!

Appropriate or no? I'm limited to skirts/dresses for right now because i have a 33 inseam and they are out of almost all tall pants in my size besides that light color. I know I'll need a pants suit by winter.

http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/february16_suit_11?$shelf2$

http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/august15_suit_34?$shelf2$

http://images.thelimited.com/is/image/thelimited/september15_suit_06?$shelf2$ (supposed to be navy colored)

You'll want the jackets to be full-sleaved, unfortunately. Those ones are cute, but it's more professional/formal to have full jackets.

I apologize if this has already been asked (there are a ton of replies on this thread!), but are classic panty hose acceptable for a navy suit? Also, what do you think about nude heels to go with a navy suit?

I apologize if this has already been asked (there are a ton of replies on this thread!), but are classic panty hose acceptable for a navy suit? Also, what do you think about nude heels to go with a navy suit?

Nude hose are what you want. Nude heels would be OK, but black or cordovan (dark burgundy) are the classics. Navy shoes can also work IF (that's a big if) you can find the right navy -- which you frequently cannot.

Nude hose are what you want. Nude heels would be OK, but black or cordovan (dark burgundy) are the classics. Navy shoes can also work IF (that's a big if) you can find the right navy -- which you frequently cannot.
Thank you so much!

What's the consensus on nail color? I always have my nails manicured, and was thinking of doing a nude/light pink.

What's the consensus on nail color? I always have my nails manicured, and was thinking of doing a nude/light pink.

That sounds professional to me. I have always been told for regular (job, promotion, etc) interviews, "natural" all-over nail color is good as long as:
a) not chipped or smudged,
b) nothing too fancy, so no French manicures.

Also, for shoes -- military post exchange stores carry lots of sensible black leather low heel pumps. Many are comfortable enough to march and parade in for hours. Get a vet or active friend or family member to buy 'em for you.

Wore a dress suit for my interviews -- no problems whatsoever.

So I have an interview coming up in a few weeks, and I've been wondering if I should re-dye my hair in preparation. I have been trying to grow out my highlights, and I have about 2 inches of roots which don't look too crazy in real life, but I'm wondering if it will take away from the super professional look I am going for - especially because I already look really young (people usually think I'm in high school). Thoughts? I don't really want to deal with the upkeep of redying it throughout the whole cycle though. Sorry if I am totally overthinking this!

Last edited:
So I have an interview coming up in a few weeks, and I've been wondering if I should re-dye my hair in preparation. I have been trying to grow out my highlights, and I have about 2 inches of roots which don't look too crazy in real life, but I'm wondering if it will take away from the super professional look I am going for - especially because I already look really young (people usually think I'm in high school). Thoughts? I don't really want to deal with the upkeep of redying it throughout the whole cycle though. Sorry if I am totally overthinking this!
Can you dye it to a color close to your natural hair color?

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Ann Taylor has done us all the huge favor of adding slits to their pencil skirts. :grumpy:

Yea or nay? It's barely visible from the front but the side angle is questionable...

I have a lightweight shell that is sleeveless, but I'm thinking there might be times when I would want to take my suit jacket off. For personal reasons, I don't want to have just a sleeveless shirt on, so how would it be if I had a nice quality shirt underneath the shell? I'm thinking around half-sleeve length. Would this be considered less than professional? Should I just tough it out and keep the jacket on?

Also, shoulder pads. Are they in again? I feel like they look so weird on me, but I don't know if it's feasible to have them removed.

Ann Taylor has done us all the huge favor of adding slits to their pencil skirts. :grumpy:

Yea or nay? It's barely visible from the front but the side angle is questionable...

So I bought that skirt and I didn't even think about it being a problem. Have you tried sitting down in it? I think the slit makes it easier to walk and sit comfortably, but I understand the concern. It doesn't look that immodest on though (in my opinion).

I have a lightweight shell that is sleeveless, but I'm thinking there might be times when I would want to take my suit jacket off. For personal reasons, I don't want to have just a sleeveless shirt on, so how would it be if I had a nice quality shirt underneath the shell? I'm thinking around half-sleeve length. Would this be considered less than professional? Should I just tough it out and keep the jacket on?

Also, shoulder pads. Are they in again? I feel like they look so weird on me, but I don't know if it's feasible to have them removed.

A short sleeve shirt underneath a sleeveless top? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, do not do this.

You should leave your suit jacket on for all parts of interview, except maybe the tour if you are walking around outside (would probably be hot, people will understand the need to remove jacket).

Your hair should NOT look like you have two inches of roots showing, so you have to redye something. Either replace some highlights or go back to your natural color. A demi-permanent color (deposit only, no lightening) one-shade lighter than your regular color would probably blend in the highlights without causing a maintenance nightmare in the future.

You can wear EITHER a sleeveless shirt or one with sleeves, but NOT two. And shoulder pads add a nice structure and definition to a jacket, generally making the jacket look more expensive and you more professional. Try to get used to it and if you're still uncomfortable, ask a professional woman over the age of 30 for her opinion.

Edit: I should clarify -- Whether shoulder pads are IN or not is NOT the appropriate question. You are not trying to look up-to-date or fashion-savvy; you are trying to look like a conservative professional.

Your hair should NOT look like you have two inches of roots showing, so you have to redye something. Either replace some highlights or go back to your natural color. A demi-permanent color (deposit only, no lightening) one-shade lighter than your regular color would probably blend in the highlights without causing a maintenance nightmare in the future.

Thanks! My natural hair color is supremely difficult to match and whenever I've gotten it dyed all one color, the roots look horrible when they start to grow in (I have tried a few times over the years!). I guess I will be stuck redoing my highlights throughout the application cycle. Alas ($$), but I like the highlights anyway and I want to look as neatly groomed as possible. I wish my hair didn't grow so darn fast!! :)

I recently got this blazer for a job interview (and got the job!) but didn't really realize that the collar was intentionally inverted....whoops. I wore it folded...well as much as it would stay like that anyway, to where it just looks like a very skinny lapel. http://www.loft.com/on-duty-blazer/...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000018

BUT I have a med school interview on Friday and don't know what to do! I assume that the inverted collar is too trendy/not conservative enough for the interview, and it obviously doesn't look quite right folded over haha, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to stitch it so that it will stay folded? Honestly, I'm freaking out a bit because I'm running out of time since I'm leaving here on Thursday early morning and have most of tomorrow booked, too. Plus, the mall is pretty out of the way from where I am living.

What do you all think?? Could I even wear that blazer to my interview? Or fold the collar/stitch it? Or do I really just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Edit: My hair is thick, long, and dark, and I plan to wear it down for the interview if that makes any difference.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am pretty petite, and it seems 99% of jackets will need alterations. Even if it's just sleeves, there is certainly not time for that at this point.
It's not what I would have recommended, but it's too late to do anything now but wear it with confidence.
And then, get a real suit.

So I bought that skirt and I didn't even think about it being a problem. Have you tried sitting down in it? I think the slit makes it easier to walk and sit comfortably, but I understand the concern. It doesn't look that immodest on though (in my opinion).

Oh, mixed opinions. Thanks for the firsthand account, kiwifriend.

My Ann Taylor isn't carrying these separates currently, so I don't really have a way of trying it on. I still have a while before interviews roll in, so I guess I have time to order it and see how it is in-person. I'm waiting till they have a sale going. I wish I knew someone who worked there and would let me use their sweet discount!

Oh, mixed opinions. Thanks for the firsthand account, kiwifriend.

My Ann Taylor isn't carrying these separates currently, so I don't really have a way of trying it on. I still have a while before interviews roll in, so I guess I have time to order it and see how it is in-person. I'm waiting till they have a sale going. I wish I knew someone who worked there and would let me use their sweet discount!

Not that this is a great idea for everyone, but I got 15% off by opening a credit card with them and some stores also do a 15% student discount with an ID. Also they send out online discounts quite frequently if you are on their mailing list!

I got some conservative black Clark heels this weekend and they are supremely comfortable!

Also, bought this shirt from BR http://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?cid=1044978&vid=1&pid=244959001 on sale this weekend and it looks really clean and cute under my charcoal grey suit. It's much more comfortable for me than a collared white shirt, doesn't show any cleavage and I am planning to wear a tanktop under it. Is it too casual?

I have a small and fairly light tattoo above my ankle and chose to buy a skirt suit because I felt more comfortable in it than the pant suits I tried. The associate I was working with told me that wearing opaque tights should take care of it so the tattoo can't be seen. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Is anyone getting more than one interview outfit? I have back-to-back interviews and I am concerned about not having the time to get my suit cleaned and pressed, but it feels totally excessive (and expensive) to buy two.