Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prior consensus on the thread is nude pantyhose.

I think the blouse is beautiful but am concerned that the ruffles may compete with the lapel of the suit. Is it possible for you to try on the blouse with the suit before buying or committing to it? I'm having trouble even finding a google hit for "ruffled blouse suit" that looks appropriate, they all look more editorial/fashion.

Hm here is a picture of the blouse with the suit that I'm planning on wearing with it. The ruffles aren't really visible when the blazer is on and buttoned.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20160823_181241.jpg
    IMG_20160823_181241.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 175
Hm here is a picture of the blouse with the suit that I'm planning on wearing with it. The ruffles aren't really visible when the blazer is on and buttoned.

I like it! I'm just a student but I think it looks very tasteful.

@namenerd @Person1345 Thanks for your feedback!

I actually tried on several of the shoes you recommended and they just didn't work for me! I have weirdly sized feet. I looked in a bunch of stores and the Clarks were the only shoes that were even remotely professional AND comfortable and unfortunately I don't have time to buy anything online. Hopefully I will be able to wear my heals again by my next interview in a couple of weeks, but I think I'm stuck for now. Hopefully they won't hold it against me as I hobble around! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Those ruffles are not really very 'ruffly' so they don't hurt the professionalism of your look by making you appear 'girlish'. Of course, since you're wearing a jacket, they don't really show either. If you unbutton the jacket and move around a bit, do they start to come untucked or otherwise get disheveled? If not, then they're fine. But without the ruffles, there's really nothing special about the blouse...

I apologize if I have offended you, as that was not my intention. Regarding the attending, I'm afraid work standards of dress are more relaxed than interview standards, but of course you must do as you think best.

Old school = matching your stockings to your shoes (ex: black pumps, black stockings). That being said, as you may tell from my use of the word stocking, things have changed since then! You are going to want to wear nude/skin-tone hose IIRC from previous adcom posts.

Ah... Clearly the words of an experienced professional woman. ;) You have MUCH more latitude in your dress once you get the job you're currently applying for and have made a name/reputation for yourself based on what you can do rather than what you look like.

And the match stockings to shoes rule would definitely *not* hold if you were wearing black pumps with a navy suit or cordovan shoes. In fact, I wouldn't wear dark hose at all except in the dead of winter.

Reactions: 1 users
If I could choose between a non-patent black pointy toe wedge or a patent rounded toe pump, which should I choose?

Pump is more comfortable by a slim margin, which isn't a huge concern considering I have pointy toe flats by Dr Scholls for campus tours.

ImageUploadedBySDN1472050262.289108.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1472050270.812863.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If I could choose between a non-patent black pointy toe wedge or a patent rounded toe pump, which should I choose?

Pump is more comfortable by a slim margin, which isn't a huge concern considering I have pointy toe flats by Dr Scholls for campus tours.

View attachment 208285View attachment 208286

Just one person's opinion, but I think the patent pumps look more appropriate for interviews (even if they are patent, although I didn't know black patent was an issue at all until this thread). The wedges look nice too, but they just seem more casual.

In my opinion, that pantsuit comes up to but does not cross the line dividing fashion suit from interview suit. It's without a doubt professional, but the jacket's buckle is the maximum acceptable bling.

View attachment 208285View attachment 208286

If you are in the store and haven't forked over money, the answer is sorry - neither. If you own and have worn them both and can't return them, I'd go with the patent pump over the wedge, as the wedge IS more casual.

For the campus tour, does anyone know whether non-black flats would do? My only pair of comfortable flats are a deep burgundy suede.

Also, rather than a shirt with a collar, would a crew-neck shell suffice? Something like this?

http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-cre...kuId=21168932&prodId=406094&defaultColor=9192

Burgundy suede flats in like-new condition with a black or navy suit would be fine for the tour. If they're comfortable because they've been loved, then probably not.

The crew-neck shell is nice, but looks like it might get bulky at the bottom if tucked in - as it should be.

Is the consensus here that plain, nude patent pumps are not ok?

They're not optimal. 1 - Patent and 2 - Light-colored

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, then these? They are the same shoe in a pointy toe version, not patent.

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 12.23.19 PM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the first one is the best. The gray seems a little too light (if you want gray, go with charcoal) and pinstripes aren't good (at least that's what the consensus seems to be)

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Hi Ladies! I'm curious what you think about a slightly ruffled shell like these, in "winter white" under a navy suit jacket. Too ruffly? Or just enough?

http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-ple...orExplode=false&catid=cat270032&priceSort=ASC

http://www.anntaylor.com/pintucked-...rExplode=false&catid=cata000010&priceSort=ASC

They're both good. Those are 'soft pleats' by the way, not ruffles, and are very acceptable. Ruffles are curly and fluffy --

Number 1, hands down. The grey is too light, but could work for summer. Brown is generally less professional, but can work IF it's really your color, and the pinstripes I could not recommend for two reasons -- "banker" and a tendency for inexpensive pinstripes to look cheap.

Urgent Help needed..
I just bought a two-piece suit for my upcoming interviews, and someone just told me that it has to be BELOW the knee. Is my skirt too short? Should I return this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.10.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.10.48 AM.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.13.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.13.29 AM.png
    417.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Urgent Help needed..
I just bought a two-piece suit for my upcoming interviews, and someone just told me that it has to be BELOW knee. Is my skirt too short? Should I return this?

I don't think it's heinously short or anything but I think it may be borderline? Mid-knee might be a little better than above the knee. How high does it rise when you sit down? One benefit of mid-knee/below the knee is that you don't really end up showing thigh when you sit. When are your interviews? If you look at the inside of the bottom hem of the skirt, is there a decent amount of fabric there that could be let down and re-hemmed by a tailor if necessary?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it's heinously short or anything but I think it may be borderline? Mid-knee might be a little better than above the knee. How high does it rise when you sit down? One benefit of mid-knee/below the knee is that you don't really end up showing thigh when you sit. When are your interviews? If you look at the inside of the bottom hem of the skirt, is there a decent amount of fabric there that could be let down and re-hemmed by a tailor if necessary?
I do have a week and a half until my first interview..I should definitely check out the inside of my skirt to see if there's more to be let down...although it breaks my heart to alter my first suit ...!!! Thanks!!

I do have a week and a half until my first interview..I should definitely check out the inside of my skirt to see if there's more to be let down...although it breaks my heart to alter my first suit ...!!! Thanks!!

I may be wrong, I'll defer to the professionals on this one, but it's definitely a good thing to check regardless. It also looks longer from the side than it did from the front somehow, I wonder if that is the angle. Don't view alterations (if necessary) as heart-breaking, view them as a luxury, you get to perfect the suit and make it exactly what it needs to be!

Last edited:
I really love that shirt/color, where is it from?! I'm struggling to find a shirt that's appropriate but not hideous and doesn't make me look like a flight attendant in my navy suit..

I really love that shirt/color, where is it from?! I'm struggling to find a shirt that's appropriate but not hideous and doesn't make me look like a flight attendant in my navy suit..

Ann Taylor is really great for simple, flattering shells and blouses (and in pretty colors)!

Urgent Help needed..
I just bought a two-piece suit for my upcoming interviews, and someone just told me that it has to be BELOW the knee. Is my skirt too short? Should I return this?

I'm going to agree that it looks 'borderline' short and would depend how it behaves when you sit. I hate to say this, but in the photos, it looks like it may also be a bit snug through the hips. Sadly, ladies with hourglass figures need to be especially careful to leave enough room so they don't read too 'sexy' in professional wear -- it's a tough line to walk.

Jumping into this thread:

I feel really uncomfortable in pencil skirts, but are A-line skirts seen as being more casual? Should I just stick to pants?

And if pants -- I'm short (5'2") and can't wear heels (joint hypermobility), does anyone have recommendations on petite/short size brands?

I'm 5'1" and have found petite pants at J Crew that fit me (without even hemming them! although that's with heels). They can be on the pricier side of things, but they've been having a lot of 25% off events online recently. If you can't wear heels, you'll probably have to hem any pants that you buy, but it's usually pretty quick and cheap to have done.

I'm going to agree that it looks 'borderline' short and would depend how it behaves when you sit. I hate to say this, but in the photos, it looks like it may also be a bit snug through the hips. Sadly, ladies with hourglass figures need to be especially careful to leave enough room so they don't read too 'sexy' in professional wear -- it's a tough line to walk.

Thank you sooooo much for this. I was worried about the same thing. I have wide hips with small waist, and it's always a struggle finding a skirt in the right size that looks nice but also professional. I am going back to the store to make an exchange for one size up. Thank you!! And also if I go one size up, I think I can pull the skirt down a little bit and that way I wouldn't have to worry too much about it being borderline short.

Okay, I'm starting the search for the perfect interview outfit. I've been contemplating finding a black blazer to go with this LOFT dress I already have. I think I would wear it with black pantyhose and black shoes...Do you think this would be an appropriate option? I'm a little worried that it will be too dark. I have a fair complexion, but I do think a hint of color would be nice. Any suggestions?
6aefdfd0e5cfbb950860a2ecb8d775f3.jpg

Okay, I'm starting the search for the perfect interview outfit. I've been contemplating finding a black blazer to go with this LOFT dress I already have. I think I would wear it with black pantyhose and black shoes...Do you think this would be an appropriate option? I'm a little worried that it will be too dark. I have a fair complexion, but I do think a hint of color would be nice. Any suggestions?

Probably too casual. Also you want the material of the dress and blazer to match exactly in color and fabric. If you want a dress, several stores (Ann Taylor and The Limited come to mind) have some nice pre-matched dress suits. Also I believe nude hose are generally considered better! I'm also fair and I had more luck with navy and charcoal than black. Cute dress though! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Probably too casual. Also you want the material of the dress and blazer to match exactly in color and fabric. If you want a dress, several stores (Ann Taylor and The Limited come to mind) have some nice pre-matched dress suits. Also I believe nude hose are generally considered better! I'm also fair and I had more luck with navy and charcoal than black. Cute dress though! :)
Thanks! I'm definitely more comfortable in dresses (they're what I wear to work most of the time), so I'll see if I can find a nice combo.

so I bought two different Tahari blazers that match the fabric and color of the sheath dress I'm planning to wear. The one in the picture looks cooler, but I wanted to check in to see if it was still conservative enough for interviews. My alternative is a plain black blazer (not shown, but just think of your generic, black, well-fitting blazer). Would it be ok to wear the one in the picture?

I'm of the opinion that it is a bit too much of a statement piece for an interview. My philosophy for interview clothing was that I didn't want to give the interviewer any reason to look at anything other than my face.

A suit dress needs to be made of the same (woven) fabric and color as the jacket.
No black hose!
Are those shooties??

I vote yes, looks good, but you don't NEED a purse if you feel more comfortable/can manage without it.
Well what's the consensus on bring a small wristlet with keys, ID, phone? I feel like that would be unprofessional looking

Well what's the consensus on bring a small wristlet with keys, ID, phone? I feel like that would be unprofessional looking

I think you might as well get a purse. I didn't want to be juggling my keys, ID, phone, water bottle, ibuprofen, allergy meds, toothbrush, planner, etc...A purse took care of that. I actually ended up getting a briefcase of sorts and I love it. It's been nice to have a professional looking bag, and if you get something well-made and classic looking, you will keep it and use it well beyond the interview.

Could use some advice... I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks. I already have a black suit and nice button up shirt to wear underneath that both fit me well. I do not consider myself very feminine and almost always resort to men's shoes (I'm also very tall with big feet so men's shoes fit me better anyways). I've always worn black oxfords with my suit, and was planning to do that for my interview, but after looking at this thread I'm freaking myself out a little bit. I know I'd be more comfortable in the oxfords since that's what I usually wear, but is this too non traditional?

Could use some advice... I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks. I already have a black suit and nice button up shirt to wear underneath that both fit me well. I do not consider myself very feminine and almost always resort to men's shoes (I'm also very tall with big feet so men's shoes fit me better anyways). I've always worn black oxfords with my suit, and was planning to do that for my interview, but after looking at this thread I'm freaking myself out a little bit. I know I'd be more comfortable in the oxfords since that's what I usually wear, but is this too non traditional?

If wearing heels would make you so uncomfortable that you perform poorly on your interview...along a similar vein, I've always wondered what LGBTQ interviewees do for these situations too. Being forced to conform to standards of femininity may be the reality...hmm, I don't know how to weigh your options here. Wait for gyngyn or DokterMom.

If wearing heels would make you so uncomfortable that you perform poorly on your interview...along a similar vein, I've always wondered what LGBTQ interviewees do for these situations too. Being forced to conform to standards of femininity may be the reality...hmm, I don't know how to weigh your options here. Wait for gyngyn or DokterMom.

Yeah, I am one of those LGBTQ interviewees. Most of the advice I've gotten has been to basically conform as much as possible. I have a female friend who always wears male clothing and did so for her interviews and received acceptances. I'd consider myself more feminine than her, but I've literally never worn heels in my life. My suit is a women's suit and is tailored. I'm just trying to figure out the shoe situation. I think I'd feel awkward in feminine shoes but I guess I'm willing to suck it up if wearing the oxfords would make me stand out too much.

Yeah, I am one of those LGBTQ interviewees. Most of the advice I've gotten has been to basically conform as much as possible. I have a female friend who always wears male clothing and did so for her interviews and received acceptances. I'd consider myself more feminine than her, but I've literally never worn heels in my life. My suit is a women's suit and is tailored. I'm just trying to figure out the shoe situation. I think I'd feel awkward in feminine shoes but I guess I'm willing to suck it up if wearing the oxfords would make me stand out too much.

Would you be comfortable wearing flats in a slightly more feminine style? DokterMom's post a couple pages back (post #4506) in this thread shows some flats that are appropriate but a bit more traditionally feminine than oxfords.

Would you be comfortable wearing flats in a slightly more feminine style? DokterMom's post a couple pages back (post #4506) in this thread shows some flats that are appropriate but a bit more traditionally feminine than oxfords.

I'm certainly open to trying. I have trouble finding women's shoes that fit me well which does not help things. If anyone has suggestions for stores that have shoes with extended sizes, I'd appreciate it.

I'm certainly open to trying. I have trouble finding women's shoes that fit me well which does not help things. If anyone has suggestions for stores that have shoes with extended sizes, I'd appreciate it.

I wear a size 5.5, so unfortunately I can't be of much help there

I think I found my suit, guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1580-1.JPG
    IMG_1580-1.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: 2 users

This seems to be a cause for grief and worry, and it shouldn't be. If you can't find feminine flats in your size, my inexpert advice (again, wait for the adcoms) is: just wear the oxfords. You want to be yourself, but your best self, in an interview. Would you really want to attend a school that forces you to be something you're not?

Edited to add: Good luck! I am rooting for you.

If you are a LGBTQ student, don't conform! You're already going against mainstream so wear the men's shoes and rock them! I think that's pretty bad*ss!