Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know they have a tour organized, but I'm not exactly sure how much of that tour will be spent outside. I think I will call them then, just to make sure. I do have a nice pair of simple black leather booties, but I'm not sure how that would look with the navy pencil skirt....

Thanks for the advice!

Your 'snow booties' would be just for the outdoor tour portion, so pumps for the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview in December up north. I was planning to wear the navy skirt suit (with nude hose) that I have worn for my last interviews, but what coat would be appropriate? I live in Florida, so I have very few options in my wardrobe.

I have an elegant off-white wool coat that is very warm, but I feel like it might not come across as business professional because of the color.

Also, what shoes should I wear? I am worried that it will snow, and I don't want my toes to freeze.

I am so clueless when it comes to winter clothes.
Your 'snow booties' would be just for the outdoor tour portion, so pumps for the interview.

+1, and worried bc my pumps were an (expensive) investment I don't want to ruin.

If we being booties, and a heavy coat, where do we keep them the rest of the day? Also, for those of us wearing a pantsuit with flowy pants, how do we not look ridiculous with a coat?

+1, and worried bc my pumps were an (expensive) investment I don't want to ruin.

If we being booties, and a heavy coat, where do we keep them the rest of the day? Also, for those of us wearing a pantsuit with flowy pants, how do we not look ridiculous with a coat?

You'd look ridiculous without a coat on a cold winter's day in the northeast...

"Flowy" pants? Can you post a picture of the type of pants you're talking about?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Please tell us that "flowy" means standard trouser leg and not palazzo pants that my mother wore around the pool.

Reactions: 2 users
Please tell us that "flowy" means standard trouser leg and not palazzo pants that my mother wore around the pool.
Haha I mean standard trouser! I posted a pick around 9/5, one or two pages back (grey suit). Do you guys have any example pictures of what a suit plus winter coat look like?

Haha I mean standard trouser! I posted a pick around 9/5, one or two pages back (grey suit). Do you guys have any example pictures of what a suit plus winter coat look like?
Sure...

dillards.jpg dillards2.jpg ATCoat.jpg

That's how it's supposed to look? (Feeling like a millennial right not lol)

This is what jeans and leggings everyday does to a person
Yes that's how it's supposed to look.

I'm in a meeting right now and Id take a picture of myself in a suit but I didn't bring my heavy overcoat with me. I agree it's hard to find photos of women in suits with winter overcoats but I only briefly looked last night.

My research only brings results about menswear :( https://www.google.com/search?q=how...q=how+to+wear+a+suit+and+a+winter+coat+womens

Wish there were more articles on this topic for women!!! I think I'll go with my nicest heavy wool coat. It's all black. It also has a fur rim on the hood - should I remove that?
I guess I'm confused in regards to what you're confused about. What is it about your suit and coat that you're concerned over?

If your coat has a hood I would remove it because a hood makes it more casual.

I guess I think of trouser pants as flowy and I'm not sure how to wear any kind of coat with them >.< I'll try it on and upload a pic in a couple of days when my suit gets back from the dry cleaners :) thanks guys for being mentors to this millennial

I guess I think of trouser pants as flowy and I'm not sure how to wear any kind of coat with them >.< I'll try it on and upload a pic in a couple of days when my suit gets back from the dry cleaners :) thanks guys for being mentors to this millennial

You mean like a pair of pants that aren't "skinny" or leggings are "flowy"? Lol.

Here's how you wear a coat with pants:

1. Put on pants.

2. Put on rest of outfit.

3. Put on coat.

Reactions: 4 users
You mean like a pair of pants that aren't "skinny" or leggings are "flowy"? Lol.

Here's how you wear a coat with pants:

1. Put on pants.

2. Put on rest of outfit.

3. Put on coat.
The closest thing to suit pants I have are sweatpants from juicy couture that I NEVER wear in public haha. I guess I'm just worried about looking like I'm in an at home robe

Members don't see this ad :)
The closest thing to suit pants I have are sweatpants from juicy couture that I NEVER wear in public haha. I guess I'm just worried about looking like I'm in an at home robe

Lol. Stop worrying about it. You will look normal. Everybody wears coats and pants. (Also, sweatpants could not possibly be further from suit pants! What kind of suit pants are you wearing?!?!)

Advice? This is the only suit of hundreds that fit my body even remotely well - I'm just worried about the color. It's a little lighter gray in person....

View attachment 195916

Note: I know cleavage is a problem, but as a (unfortunate/cursed) GG cup even a turtleneck looks bad >.< I'm planning on wearing a super high cut silk shell underneath.
^ the flowy pants

How is this thread 13 pages long? Interview outfit = suit. It's that simple!

Well, that's kind of a silly thing to say. Pant or skirt suit? What kind of top do you wear under your suit jacket? What if you want a blazer and matching dress? What do you wear in inclement weather? What colors of suit and top and shoes should you wear? What is a good height for your shoes? What color shoes go with what color suit? What is an appropriate length for skirts or pants? I think all of these questions and more are perfectly reasonable to ask.

(Sorry if I'm being too serious about this.)

Well, that's kind of a silly thing to say. Pant or skirt suit? What kind of top do you wear under your suit jacket? What if you want a blazer and matching dress? What do you wear in inclement weather? What colors of suit and top and shoes should you wear? What is a good height for your shoes? What color shoes go with what color suit? What is an appropriate length for skirts or pants? I think all of these questions and more are perfectly reasonable to ask.

(Sorry if I'm being too serious about this.)
Sorry if I came across as judgmental because that wasn't the intent. I texted my mom, sister and husband a picture just before my last interview asking whether I should wear my hair up or down, so clearly my last post over-simplified things. Maybe we should be posting pictures. Because to me, in theory, there is absolutely no difference between a skirt and pants, etc. It all sounds and probably looks professional and absolutely fantastic.

FWIW, my mom's response to the hair question? "I never notice hair. I notice eyes. And if you're being you, your eyes will make more of an impression than whatever else you wear or do."

HELP!!!!

Forgot to pick up my one and only suit from dry cleaner, which is closed tomorrow. Flying out on west coast red eye tomorrow night, for interview at dream/reach school Dartmouth on Tuesday.

WHAT DO I DO???? Completely freak if out, too tired out from crying.

Do you think the police could help me find the store owners number so I can call them? Or let me into the store themselves?

HELP!!!!

Forgot to pick up my one and only suit from dry cleaner, which is closed tomorrow. Flying out on west coast red eye tomorrow night, for interview at dream/reach school Dartmouth on Tuesday.

Do you think the police could help me find the store owners number so I can call them? Or let me into the store themselves?

I would personally just go to jcpenney or any dept store and try to buy a decent looking cheap one quickly (less than 100 bucks). Getting to the dry cleaners seems like it might pose challenges and you dont want to take any risks

HELP!!!!

I said this on the other thread too but just try leaving urgent voicemails. I'm sure this has happened to other people and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they have some system for this.

Do you guys think a black prof dress, black blazer (diff fabric) and hose would cut it in the worst case scenario?

And than you! Utmn I appreciate your kind advice! I've been trying but they are a mom and pop shop owned by a very friendly old couple that doesn't speak the best English, and have no voice mail :/

Do you guys think a black prof dress, black blazer (diff fabric) and hose would cut it in the worst case scenario?

And than you! Utmn I appreciate your kind advice! I've been trying but they are a mom and pop shop owned by a very friendly old couple that doesn't speak the best English, and have no voice mail :/

if you mean something like this + hose, then sure
f1f91427159626cd9a431397f5be7423.jpg

Aah bummer. I'm so sorry. This almost happened to me too! I think your idea of sheath dress + blazer is great! Especially if you can find something you'll wear again as separates. Then you can reframe it as just going shopping for some business casual pieces ;)

I have an interview in December up north. I was planning to wear the navy skirt suit (with nude hose) that I have worn for my last interviews, but what coat would be appropriate? I live in Florida, so I have very few options in my wardrobe.
I have an elegant off-white wool coat that is very warm, but I feel like it might not come across as business professional because of the color.
Also, what shoes should I wear? I am worried that it will snow, and I don't want my toes to freeze.
I am so clueless when it comes to winter clothes.

I come from "Up North Minnesnowta" So maybe I can give you a couple tips:
1. The probability that the medical school student or person giving the tour will make you go outside is very slim. At the U of MN tunnels were created to avoid going outside at all costs in the frigid cold, we call ourselves gophers for that reason, seriously.
2. Elegant off-white coat will look great. It will probably match the snow. Also, most physicians that I work for wear winter parkas. when it is cold, people do not judge and do what they can to stay warm.
3. In regards to the shoes, I would be less worried about your toes being cold and more worried about walking up steps or on concrete getting to your interview. In MN I slip and fall all the time wearing my winter boots made out of rubber. I would advise wearing shoes with a lot of traction to the interview and then just changing into your professional shoes at the interview (once your safely away from the ice). Most interviews I have gone to in the midwest this winter have had expansive coat racks where you could place the boots.
One final tip for ANYONE going up here in the midwest is salt on the sidewalks. Do NOT place your shoes that you have walked on the sidewalk with anywhere near your black or navy suit/outfit. Also watch when you are exiting your vehicle to be careful not to rub your leg along the car door. This will result in white salt powder on your suit/coat/outfit.

If you are going to an area with snow, this is what you will probably be walking through at some point if it is a typical winter day: (look closely at trouser's pic). I am not sure where your interview is and these tips should not scare you, but just be aware that the sidewalks are slippery, it is very cold, and nobody will judge you for wearing a warm coat over a fashionable one, especially because you will be taking your coat off.
upload_2015-12-13_13-28-26.png upload_2015-12-13_13-32-55.png wintersalt.jpg

So how do you protect your pants from the salt? If you wear boots while outside you wrinkle the bottom. Is that okay?

I come from "Up North Minnesnowta" So maybe I can give you a couple tips:
1. The probability that the medical school student or person giving the tour will make you go outside is very slim. At the U of MN tunnels were created to avoid going outside at all costs in the frigid cold, we call ourselves gophers for that reason, seriously.
2. Elegant off-white coat will look great. It will probably match the snow. Also, most physicians that I work for wear winter parkas. when it is cold, people do not judge and do what they can to stay warm.
3. In regards to the shoes, I would be less worried about your toes being cold and more worried about walking up steps or on concrete getting to your interview. In MN I slip and fall all the time wearing my winter boots made out of rubber. I would advise wearing shoes with a lot of traction to the interview and then just changing into your professional shoes at the interview (once your safely away from the ice). Most interviews I have gone to in the midwest this winter have had expansive coat racks where you could place the boots.
One final tip for ANYONE going up here in the midwest is salt on the sidewalks. Do NOT place your shoes that you have walked on the sidewalk with anywhere near your black or navy suit/outfit. Also watch when you are exiting your vehicle to be careful not to rub your leg along the car door. This will result in white salt powder on your suit/coat/outfit.

If you are going to an area with snow, this is what you will probably be walking through at some point if it is a typical winter day: (look closely at trouser's pic). I am not sure where your interview is and these tips should not scare you, but just be aware that the sidewalks are slippery, it is very cold, and nobody will judge you for wearing a warm coat over a fashionable one, especially because you will be taking your coat off.
View attachment 198715 View attachment 198718 View attachment 198719

So how do you protect your pants from the salt? If you wear boots while outside you wrinkle the bottom. Is that okay?

I wear leggings or sweatpants to my interviews with boots. Then once I am inside of the facility, I go to the nearest bathroom and change into my pants. If I am wearing a skirt, I just wear boots and don't worry about the sweatpants.

A lot of people don't even have to worry about it, just be alert that salt transfers to your clothes, and the major ways are by rubbing up onto a car, if someone steps on your shoes, and if you fall. Personally, I am an extremely clumsy person and so I try to plan ahead and wear sweatpants so that if I do fall, I won't get slush all over my outfit. However, most of my friends don't do this and think I am nuts. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

Also, is the consensus that ankle pants are not the way to go?

I was planning on wearing this blouse under a navy suit. Do you think the pattern is inappropriate?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160811-131218.png
    Screenshot_20160811-131218.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the responses.

What about a blouse like this for under a navy suit?
1470940018892.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
To me, either is professional.

Gyngyn is a man who may not understand women's use of the word "cute". If it were a "hello kitty" print it would be cute and unprofessional but to me there is nothing unprofessional about a floral print. If a hospital administrator walked in wearing a blue suit and that blouse, gyngyn would not blink.

Reactions: 10 users
I agree the blouses are business casual, not professional. I also agree on the solid color shell - it will look much better under a suit.

I recommend halogen and pleione shells from Nordstrom! Well made, well priced, and good quality

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, but I would not wear ankle pants. Personally, a suit would not include ankle pants, ever - unless it was small of course. Tailor pa to to be about 1 cm above the floor in the shoes you will wear them with

Oh, but I would not wear ankle pants. Personally, a suit would not include ankle pants, ever - unless it was small of course. Tailor pa to to be about 1 cm above the floor in the shoes you will wear them with

Are one button jackets acceptable?
1470947497692.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile