Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Oh, but I would not wear ankle pants. Personally, a suit would not include ankle pants, ever - unless it was small of course. Tailor pa to to be about 1 cm above the floor in the shoes you will wear them with

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My exclamation is for never!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question on suit color -- I am of mixed ethnicity and my natural skin tone is very yellow. Gray and navy suits make me look downright jaundiced, and black isn't much better. Brown is flattering. Can I get away with a brown suit if the skirt falls to the knee and I match it with a light blue shell, pearl stud earrings, nude hose, appropriate hair/makeup/nails, black leather pumps and satchel? Here is kind of what I had in mind:
mjz51r-0534_cobblestone.jpg

(I'm a nontrad who is still far, far from med school interview season but thought I'd get some practice in dressing for volunteer interviews, etc.)

What do you guys think of a sheath dress and blazer combo that are matching in fabric, but not in the matching colors? I have a black suit jacket and a (dark) navy blue dress that's knee-length. I also have a dark gray dress in the same cut. I wore the black jacket/gray dress to my pre-health committee interview and the director said I looked appropriate. But reading this thread is seriously giving me anxiety :hungover: whyyy do women have to have so many options..?

Question on suit color -- I am of mixed ethnicity and my natural skin tone is very yellow. Gray and navy suits make me look downright jaundiced, and black isn't much better. Brown is flattering. Can I get away with a brown suit if the skirt falls to the knee and I match it with a light blue shell, pearl stud earrings, nude hose, appropriate hair/makeup/nails, black leather pumps and satchel? Here is kind of what I had in mind:View attachment 208212

(I'm a nontrad who is still far, far from med school interview season but thought I'd get some practice in dressing for volunteer interviews, etc.)
Your blouse is next to your face, not the suit.
Brown reads casual.

[QUOTE="gyngyn, post: 18067627, member: 432540]
Brown reads casual.[/QUOTE]

Thanks gyngyn! So it's better to err on the side of being too formal than informal, ie: a black suit would be OK in my case?

Reactions: 1 users
so are straight/skinny dress pants also not considered acceptable? Would bootcut trousers be better? I'm only asking because i'm short and I usually wear ankle pants as dress pants. They aren't very high up but just above being full length.

also, the blazer I got has patterned cuffs when you fold them over. Can I keep them folded over? Or do I have to keep them straight?

What about these shoes: Restricted | Teddy Heeled Oxford | Nordstrom Rack
They're black and black pants, white oxford blouse, and black dinner jacket? Is it too much? I'm also Asian with black hair, so I thought black suits me better.

It sounds like your pants and jacket are not made from the same fabric, so are therefore not a suit. Sorry, but you need a suit -- ABSOLUTELY matching jacket and skirt/pants/dress.

If you're gender non-conforming and that's part of your application, those shoes would hint at that. If you're cis-gender female, then they're not appropriate. These (in the black) are more feminine if you absolutely can't wear pumps. If you can tolerate heels, do.
35-40-Black-Cute-Ballet-Flats-Online-Shoe-Stores-Summer-Business-Casual-Shoes-For-Women-Patent.jpg_640x640.jpg

It sounds like your pants and jacket are not made from the same fabric, so are therefore not a suit. Sorry, but you need a suit -- ABSOLUTELY matching jacket and skirt/pants/dress.

If you're gender non-conforming and that's part of your application, those shoes would hint at that. If you're cis-gender female, then they're not appropriate. These (in the black) are more feminine if you absolutely can't wear pumps. If you can tolerate heels, do.
35-40-Black-Cute-Ballet-Flats-Online-Shoe-Stores-Summer-Business-Casual-Shoes-For-Women-Patent.jpg_640x640.jpg

Will these shoes cause blisters or pain while walking? I've bought shoes like these before and I had blisters on the back of my ankles which affected my walking..... Where do you suggest to pick up these shoes?

Will these shoes cause blisters or pain while walking? I've bought shoes like these before and I had blisters on the back of my ankles which affected my walking..... Where do you suggest to pick up these shoes?

I'd suggest you shop in person. Also, expect a 'break in' period for your shoes, so practice wearing them a few weeks before. Get through the blister stage beforehand. You may also find that putting a piece of masking tape on your clean, dry heel underneath your hose (yes, you need hose) prevents blisters..