Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like the suit! though I have no clue whether it would be considered informal. I suppose it is a little light?

This might be a ridiculous question, but is only having 1 button in the jacket informal? Is it slightly seductive? Like there's only one button in between you and my high-waisted suit pants and tucked in button down shirt? Half-kidding about the last part

Also if anyone looks at the picture, is that an example of pants that are too tight in the thigh region?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I like the suit! though I have no clue whether it would be considered informal. I suppose it is a little light?

This might be a ridiculous question, but is only having 1 button in the jacket informal? Is it slightly seductive? Like there's only one button in between you and my high-waisted suit pants and tucked in button down shirt? Half-kidding about the last part

Also if anyone looks at the picture, is that an example of pants that are too tight in the thigh region?
Hahaha can you see that as a pick-up line? "Hey baby. There's only one button in between you and my high-waisted suit pants and tucked in button-down. Come and get it."

I have heard that one-button jackets are less formal than their two-button counterparts, but honestly, I cannot find ANY suits with more than one button. To be quite honest, the suits are slim pickings where I live, so you may have better luck elsewhere. I wouldn't be too worried about it, though.

I do think that the pants in the picture are too tight based on how much of her thigh is clearly outlined (I hope this makes sense). But, other users probably have a better idea than me.

Last edited:
I think the suit's a little too light (dark gray could work, though), and the pants might be a little tight but not horrendously so.

In terms of buttons, I don't think it matters all that much - 1 button is very common for women. I actually wore my jacket open over my blouse since the fit wasn't as good as it could've been, but you could only really notice when it was buttoned which is why I left it open.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the suit's a little too light (dark gray could work, though), and the pants might be a little tight but not horrendously so.

In terms of buttons, I don't think it matters all that much - 1 button is very common for women. I actually wore my jacket open over my blouse since the fit wasn't as good as it could've been, but you could only really notice when it was buttoned which is why I left it open.
Thanks, Keladry! *Sigh* I thought I was done with suit shopping, but looks like my search will continue. I find it ridiculous that I've spent more time searching for a stupid suit than I did for my wedding dress. Not even kidding. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, Keladry! *Sigh* I thought I was done with suit shopping, but looks like my search will continue. I find it ridiculous that I've spent more time searching for a stupid suit than I did for my wedding dress. Not even kidding. Thanks for the advice!
Best of luck!

Hi guys! How do y'all feel about a light/medium gray suit? I'm considering this one: http://www.dillards.com/product/Ant...Antonio-Melani-Elin-Twill-Jacket&googleShop=Y (it's technically black and white "twill" but it looks gray). Is this too informal? Most people say that you need a charcoal or navy suit, but I'm not finding much in those colors that works for me.

Sorry @deeproots -- but I'd keep shopping. If the suit fits you the way it fits the model, then I'd agree that it's too tight in the thighs and seat, and probably just a little too 'I'm young and hot and hip' in general.

Sorry @deeproots -- but I'd keep shopping. If the suit fits you the way it fits the model, then I'd agree that it's too tight in the thighs and seat, and probably just a little too 'I'm young and hot and hip' in general.
Thanks, DokterMom! I got the skirt suit and I don't have many curves, so the fit on me is appropriate. But, it's the color I'm worried about. Even if I can "get away with it," I don't want to have to worry about my stupid outfit on interview day. So, I'm going to suck it up and head to the mall... again. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, DokterMom! I got the skirt suit and I don't have many curves, so the fit on me is appropriate. But, it's the color I'm worried about. Even if I can "get away with it," I don't want to have to worry about my stupid outfit on interview day. So, I'm going to suck it up and head to the mall... again. Thanks for the advice!

Actually, it was ONLY the cut I was worried about. In my opinion, the color looked fine if the fabric's good.

How does everyone feel about slim-fit pants, like these?
http://www.express.com/clothing/studio stretch slim leg columnist pant/pro/7247339/cat760006

(matching jacket-http://www.express.com/clothing/24+inch+studio+stretch+notch+collar+jacket/pro/6744223/cat760006)

Also, I wear these glasses every day and feel good in them, but my friend was giving me a hard time about including them in my secondary photos--are trendy glasses like these a no-no for interviews?
http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX5309-rb5309-black/8053672122596

Last edited:
I was so happy to see this thread! I just started shopping around for interview clothes, and it's safe to say I'm in way over my head. I've been stressing about this for a while now eek

I can't offer any fashion advice but just a reminder that J.Crew and Brooks Brothers do offer student discounts ;) Not sure of any others?

Absolutely not.

They are: too slim, too low rise, too close to the body/stretch material, too casual for a med school (or any professional) interview.

Also, I wear these glasses every day and feel good in them, but my friend was giving me a hard time about including them in my secondary photos--are trendy glasses like these a no-no for interviews?
http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/eyeglasses/RX5309-rb5309-black/8053672122596

The style is fine although if they're really big on your face they'll be a distractor. Most will not wear something so bold; your friend is probably right. Trendy and cheap looking is not what you're going for.

What does everyone think of a "longer" pencil skirt? Like about mid-calf? I actually already have a suit with a "normal" length skirt but I was given a couple mid-calf length skirts for free and I figured maybe I could put them to use. I can provide some pictures if my description is too vague.

For anyone still shopping, The Limited is having a huge sale (at least they were the other day). 40% off all full price items. They've got some good stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does everyone think of a "longer" pencil skirt? Like about mid-calf? I actually already have a suit with a "normal" length skirt but I was given a couple mid-calf length skirts for free and I figured maybe I could put them to use. I can provide some pictures if my description is too vague.
The midi length can be lovely but tricky to wear.

Too long and it can look dowdy. If it hits your calf at its thickest portion, your legs can look heavy. It's best for taller slimmer women; shorter women or those with thicker legs should stay with the shorter midi lengths (ie, a couple of inches below the knee). Longer skirts need higher heels and shorter jackets to get the proportions correct.

Absolutely not.

They are: too slim, too low rise, too close to the body/stretch material, too casual for a med school (or any professional) interview.

The style is fine although if they're really big on your face they'll be a distractor. Most will not wear something so bold; your friend is probably right. Trendy and cheap looking is not what you're going for.

revised suit choices?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ivanka-trump-suit-separates-collection?ID=1028859&CategoryID=67595#fn=sp=1&spc=34&ruleId=72&slotId=30

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-two-button-blazer-skirt-suit?ID=1320055&CategoryID=67595#fn=sp=1&spc=34&ruleId=72&slotId=12

Thanks for your input!

ovenmitts, I think it depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm not really tall or super thin, but I have a midi pencil skirt that I like a lot (ASOS!) I've found it's hard to give prescriptive advice about it because bodies are surprising! I would just make sure your longer skirts perfectly match the jacket you plan on wearing. I would probably just wear one of the suits you already have to be safe.

Last edited:

Better. I've seen the Calvin Klein ones in person - they aren't great quality and tend to hang oddly IMHO; I haven't seen the Trump line so I'm not sure of the quality or how they'll hang on your body. Macys also carries a Tahari bridge collection which will tend to be more conservative in style.

What sort of budget do you have and are you looking for something that you can wear again in 4 years for residency interviews?

If you can spend a little more J Crew has a nice 120 wool suiting line and Ann Taylor also has some tropical weight wool suits which would usually work. Banana Republic also mid range prices like JC and AT and has a few suiting pieces (they seem to have a 40% off online every few days).

Better. I've seen the Calvin Klein ones in person - they aren't great quality and tend to hang oddly IMHO; I haven't seen the Trump line so I'm not sure of the quality or how they'll hang on your body. Macys also carries a Tahari bridge collection which will tend to be more conservative in style.

What sort of budget do you have and are you looking for something that you can wear again in 4 years for residency interviews?

If you can spend a little more J Crew has a nice 120 wool suiting line and Ann Taylor also has some tropical weight wool suits which would usually work. Banana Republic also mid range prices like JC and AT and has a few suiting pieces (they seem to have a 40% off online every few days).

Great input-thanks. I was just looking at Jcrew and Ann Taylor, but they're a little out of my price range. I like Tahari a lot. I'm hoping not to spend more than $200.
I love this style: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ID=39096#fn=sp=1&spc=472&kws=Tahari&slotId=13

Great input-thanks. I was just looking at Jcrew and Ann Taylor, but they're a little out of my price range. I like Tahari a lot. I'm hoping not to spend more than $200.
I love this style: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ID=39096#fn=sp=1&spc=472&kws=Tahari&slotId=13
That's cure but probably a little too fashion forward for a medical school interview because of the zipper.

JC and AT suits are over $200 although right now Ann Taylor has 60% of their sale items and there are a few suits on there (mostly browns and tans but there is a cute navy one with lots of sizes and either pants or trousers to match) and a black one.

For under $200 you'll probably do best at Macys or other similar department store.

That's cure but probably a little too fashion forward for a medical school interview because of the zipper.

JC and AT suits are over $200 although right now Ann Taylor has 60% of their sale items and there are a few suits on there (mostly browns and tans but there is a cute navy one with lots of sizes and either pants or trousers to match) and a black one.

For under $200 you'll probably do best at Macys or other similar department store.
and combined with the glasses the peplum's probably not conservative enough--even if I wore it open?

is "cotton sateen" interview friendly/are these pants also too casual?
http://www.anntaylor.com/cotton-sat...roductPageType=saleProducts&defaultColor=1878

Reactions: 1 users
Looks nice but I would say it's not formal enough for interviews. Looks too fashion forward, especially with the 3/4th length sleeves.
Agreed the three quarter length sleeves are lovely but not appropriate for this occasion where you do tend to want to go most conservative.

I personally think Cotton Sateen is fine in the summer as long as it's not too shiny. Tropical weight wool, full length sleeves are best.

I was so happy to see this thread! I just started shopping around for interview clothes, and it's safe to say I'm in way over my head. I've been stressing about this for a while now eek

I can't offer any fashion advice but just a reminder that J.Crew and Brooks Brothers do offer student discounts ;) Not sure of any others?
I think Banana Republic, the Limited, and Ann Taylor also offer student discounts!

revised suit choices?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/ivanka-trump-suit-separates-collection?ID=1028859&CategoryID=67595#fn=sp=1&spc=34&ruleId=72&slotId=30

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-two-button-blazer-skirt-suit?ID=1320055&CategoryID=67595#fn=sp=1&spc=34&ruleId=72&slotId=12

Thanks for your input!

ovenmitts, I think it depends on what you're comfortable with. I'm not really tall or super thin, but I have a midi pencil skirt that I like a lot (ASOS!) I've found it's hard to give prescriptive advice about it because bodies are surprising! I would just make sure your longer skirts perfectly match the jacket you plan on wearing. I would probably just wear one of the suits you already have to be safe.
The Calvin Klein suit is the one I purchased for my interviews! Honestly, I was suit shopping for days (my city doesn't have many options for women's professional clothing), and this was the only reasonable option. It's affordable and professional. The blazer is a bit shorter than most suits I've seen, but if you're short like me, this might not be a bad thing.

First, congrats and good luck!
And now...just my two cents as well. :)

1. Pant suits versus skirt suits? I'm more comfortable in pant suits, but I feel that I look better in skirt suits so I went with that.

2. Suit color? Black was too dark and dreary so I went with navy.

3. Hair? I had shoulder length hair so I wore it down with my bangs pinned out of my face. My hair was black/brown ombre for the duration of interview season and it didn't seem too much of a problem.

4. Shoes? I wore black wedge heels and kept a pair of flats in my purse to change into right before the tour.

5. Purses/messenger bags? I just carried a large black leather tote.

6. Jewelry? If you're gonna feel like a piece of you is missing if you omit jewelry, I'd rather you wear it. I personally don't wear jewelry, not even a watch so I kept it plain.

7. Makeup? If I don't wear anything, I look too young. If I go heavy, it looks bad. I just went with simple and clean. Interview makeup on YouTube is generally good.

8. Best places to buy all this crap? Bought my skirt suit from Carsons and my blouse from Ann Taylor. Any department store will have acceptable suits.

Suits don't have to be wool, right? They can be cotton?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Suits don't have to be wool, right? They can be cotton?

Posted using SDN Mobile
Cotton is considered more casual than a wool/tropical weight wool. Depending on the location (i.e., South/Southwest) and time of year, it may be acceptable but in general, you should err on the side of picking a wool/crepe/sharkskin (if not too shiny).

If you're on a budget, check out consignment stores in your area. If something fits within reason, chances are a tailor can do the rest. Should still cost way less than buying a cheaper suit at Macy's.

If you're skeeved out by used clothing, just get it dry cleaned after the tailor's done with it. You're not wearing someone's undergarments!

Personally, I would go with something without the metal on the front. They are cute, though!

Well if the rest of my outfit is - like I am envisioning it to be - mainly grey/black tones with no jewelry/watches, I think a pop of metal on the shoes is not that ostentatious?

Well if the rest of my outfit is - like I am envisioning it to be - mainly grey/black tones with no jewelry/watches, I think a pop of metal on the shoes is not that ostentatious?
I agree with @Leslie Knope. The biggest issue is that Tory Burch's logo is fairly well known and it (not the metal per se) comes off an possibly showy. Like carrying one of those Coach bags with the "Cs" all over.

Remember you're dealing with academic medical faculty who might not be making much money; some of them might have a chip on their shoulder seeing a pre-med student coming in with what are normally $250 shoes. They will not know you got them on consignment.

In addition, you really need to wear a bit of a heel. Flats are, IMHO, too casual.

I agree with @Leslie Knope. The biggest issue is that Tory Burch's logo is fairly well known and it (not the metal per se) comes off an possibly showy. Like carrying one of those Coach bags with the "Cs" all over.

Remember you're dealing with academic medical faculty who might not be making much money; some of them might have a chip on their shoulder seeing a pre-med student coming in with what are normally $250 shoes. They will not know you got them on consignment.

In addition, you really need to wear a bit of a heel. Flats are, IMHO, too casual.

Gah, now I feel silly. Didn't think of that. I really appreciate the heads up.

What do you ladies think of a pale pink button down under a navy suit? I found a shirt I liked in pink or white, so I was not sure if the pink would look too feminine. It's definitely a very pale pink and a classic shirt.. no ruffles or anything like that.

Last cycle I wore navy pencil skirt & a grey/brown/navy plaid jacket over a airy off-white short sleave blouse (all from j.crew). Tights (cold weather) or no tights (warm weather) always with women's oxford shoes. 100% interview success. 6ii, all acceptances. My hair was down & straight, light make-up, very plain ruby stud earrings and a thin gold chain necklace. I had multiple compliments on my attire - looked professional but definitely stood out in every group.

Be sure to look professional but don't be afraid to show a bit of personality. The plain-jane solid pantsuit will be over represented in the population.

Cheers & Good Luck Everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, so I cannot find a shell with sleeves anywhere. I walked around the local mall for hours, and all I could find were sleeveless shells and button up blouses. For bust reasons, button-up blouses are a complete no go. Are sleeveless shells okay if I don't take off my jacket? Or can I take off my jacket as long as my bra straps don't show?

Also, I have two interviews on the same trip. If I get my jacket sweaty, is there a quick fix way to clean it without taking it to a dry cleaner? Some kind of spray or steaming technique...? I feel like all my questions are very silly and basic, but my jobs have either been at my undergrad where I dressed business casual, at a hospital where I wore scrubs, or a lab where I wore jeans. This is a whole new world to me!

I need some help, ladies! I just got my first interview so now I have to actually start looking for something to wear. Here is my dilemma: At the time of the interview (and any other interviews I may receive for before mid October) I will be 7-9 months pregnant. Is a suit absolutely necessary? Maternity suits are often very pricey and horribly unflattering. Would a dress with a suit jacket be acceptable? Also, are heels a must? I am willing to wear small heels, but my husband doesn't think it is necessary and I am hoping to get a second opinion on that (and maybe an excuse to buy a new pair of shoes!).

I already know that being pregnant might catch some adcoms off guard, and may affect their opinions of me as a candidate. For this reason I want to look as professional as possible without being obviously uncomfortable in my hugeness. I am pretty petite normally so when I am pregnant I REALLY show (this is my second pregnancy). Thanks all!

I need some help, ladies! I just got my first interview so now I have to actually start looking for something to wear. Here is my dilemma: At the time of the interview (and any other interviews I may receive for before mid October) I will be 7-9 months pregnant. Is a suit absolutely necessary? Maternity suits are often very pricey and horribly unflattering. Would a dress with a suit jacket be acceptable? Also, are heels a must? I am willing to wear small heels, but my husband doesn't think it is necessary and I am hoping to get a second opinion on that (and maybe an excuse to buy a new pair of shoes!).

I already know that being pregnant might catch some adcoms off guard, and may affect their opinions of me as a candidate. For this reason I want to look as professional as possible without being obviously uncomfortable in my hugeness. I am pretty petite normally so when I am pregnant I REALLY show (this is my second pregnancy). Thanks all!

A dress and jacket makes a lot of sense in your case. And small heels.

Congratulations on the baby and your interview invite! I have wondered if your username stood for stay at home mom...

Anyway, I would not wear a maternity suit. I am petite also and those things do not fit properly when you're short and pregnant. I think a dress with a blazer is fine. As are flats in my opinion. I would just take extra care to look put together and professional.

Like make sure everything you're wearing is in good shape. Get a manicure. Put on some makeup, etc.

A dress and jacket makes a lot of sense in your case. And small heels.
Congratulations on the baby and your interview invite! I have wondered if your username stood for stay at home mom...

Anyway, I would not wear a maternity suit. I am petite also and those things do not fit properly when you're short and pregnant. I think a dress with a blazer is fine. As are flats in my opinion. I would just take extra care to look put together and professional.

Like make sure everything you're wearing is in good shape. Get a manicure. Put on some makeup, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I am glad I can get away with a dress since I will already be buying a suit for post-pregnancy interviews- assuming there will be some.
@Leslie_Knope That is what my username stands for. I am not very creative! Haha

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but is a black suit considered too formal for interviews?
I read that navy or grey suits are preferable. But at this point, I don't really feel comfortable forking out the $$ for a new suit, especially after all those secondaries...

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but is a black suit considered too formal for interviews?
I read that navy or grey suits are preferable. But at this point, I don't really feel comfortable forking out the $$ for a new suit, especially after all those secondaries...

There is nothing wrong with black per se. Typically black suits are too harsh for many people's skin tones, especially if you are white. Many people look better with a charcoal/gray/navy color. As long as you avoid the butler look by not wearing a white shirt, you will be fine.

I know it was kind of talked about earlier in this thread, but is it okay to wear black heels with a navy skirt suit?

I know it was kind of talked about earlier in this thread, but is it okay to wear black heels with a navy skirt suit?

Totally OK. Or wine. Or Navy, if the two blues are compatible - many aren't. You could also wear 'nude' if they're professional.

I just wanted to let you all know that Macys is having a huge sale. 50% off most suits and they have additional 20% off coupons in the circulars they send out with the Sunday papers. I got a Tahari skirt suit for $68 on Thursday!

I just wanted to let you all know that Macys is having a huge sale. 50% off most suits and they have additional 20% off coupons in the circulars they send out with the Sunday papers. I got a Tahari skirt suit for $68 on Thursday!
I got a new Tahari suit from Macy's for 35$ a few weeks ago…original around 220$ :)

I think most people will probably have a navy/black mesh up when it comes to clothes & shoes. Not many navy colored professional shoes are made for sure I think.

But I wanted to ask some people's opinions on wearing an Omega watch (that's a really expensive company, which I had never heard of before recently). The watch was my Dad's wedding gift and is unworn and is really, really simple-- when I first saw it, I thought it was like 2$ (it's just a black strap with a little clock on it).
I was wondering if this would be fine to wear to an interview because if someone sees the word "Omega" on it they might think "just another rich kid going to med school" when that's definitely not the case here. I was wondering what other people's opinions were on this as I don't know myself. I really don't want to buy another watch b/c that seems pretty expensive and I'd really like to wear a watch to my interview. Thank you!