Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a new Tahari suit from Macy's for 35$ a few weeks ago…original around 220$ :)

I think most people will probably have a navy/black mesh up when it comes to clothes & shoes. Not many navy colored professional shoes are made for sure I think.

But I wanted to ask some people's opinions on wearing an Omega watch (that's a really expensive company, which I had never heard of before recently). The watch was my Dad's wedding gift and is unworn and is really, really simple-- when I first saw it, I thought it was like 2$ (it's just a black strap with a little clock on it).
I was wondering if this would be fine to wear to an interview because if someone sees the word "Omega" on it they might think "just another rich kid going to med school" when that's definitely not the case here. I was wondering what other people's opinions were on this as I don't know myself. I really don't want to buy another watch b/c that seems pretty expensive and I'd really like to wear a watch to my interview. Thank you!
The question Id have about the watch is about it's size relative to your wrist. Are you <ahem> a "larger" woman? Men's watches are otherwise too big for most women's wrists.

Expensive watches and the like can be difficult but if it's small and simple, and your cuffs the proper length, the interviewers are not likely to see the label.

Members don't see this ad.

A little puzzled... when is it appropriate to take off a suit jacket? Does it also depend on what is worn underneath (button-up blouse vs. shirt)?

@zinthafan - An Omega watch is fine, especially a simple one with a black strap. A diamonds and gold Omega would send the wrong message, though, as would any sort of 'blingy' watch.

@turayza - Removing your jacket would be OK in certain circumstances but not in others; and yes, it does in part depend on what's underneath. You can remove your jacket for an outside tour if it's hot outside, or at a group lunch in a casual setting if others take their jackets off. If you're wearing a sleeveless top, or a knit top that has the potential to look 'T-shirty' without a jacket to dress it up, then I'd keep the jacket on. A short sleeve or cap-sleeve 'shell' would be OK without a jacket in certain circumstances; a button-up shirt or blouse in somewhat more circumstances. A business dress probably gives you the most jacket-off leeway of all, assuming it can stand on it's own.

One tip - Do 'water test' the fabric of your shirt in advance so you'll have a general idea of how 'pit safe' it is. You'll be nervous and possibly also very warm -- Remember the old 'never let them see you sweat' adage.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, sorry if this question has already been asked, but what kind of bag would be appropriate to bring to interviews? Also what are you guys bringing in your bags? I'm thinking: professional folder with blank paper, copy of resume, pens, Chapstick, a bottle of water, extra pair of shoes just in case, and an umbrella... Is that enlightened

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but is a black suit considered too formal for interviews?
I read that navy or grey suits are preferable. But at this point, I don't really feel comfortable forking out the $$ for a new suit, especially after all those secondaries...
I just got back from my first interview. I would say that 85-90% of interviewees were wearing black suits. Lots of women were also wearing long hair down, sleeveless shirts, patterned shirts, 3/4 length suit tops, messy hair, etc. (things that I've read were big no-nos). However, I can't tell you if any of these wardrobe choices affected their interview.
My personal advice: If you can find a navy or charcoal suit on sale and you feel comfortable shelling out the money, then go for it. If you're going to have to eat ramen for a month to afford a new suit, then I don't think it's worth it. Just try to look clean and professional, and let your personality speak for itself :)

A little puzzled... when is it appropriate to take off a suit jacket? Does it also depend on what is worn underneath (button-up blouse vs. shirt)?
Personally, I took off my jacket during the tour because it was super hot outside. This was a good choice--I wasn't all nasty for my interview. I think I also kept mine off during lunch. I would have felt uncomfortable removing my jacket with a sleeveless blouse (I had on a long-sleeve button-down), but many women I interviewed with did remove their jackets with sleeveless blouses on underneath. I would recommend wearing a button-down or other long sleeve shirt so you can still look professional even if you remove your jacket.

Hey guys, sorry if this question has already been asked, but what kind of bag would be appropriate to bring to interviews? Also what are you guys bringing in your bags? I'm thinking: professional folder with blank paper, copy of resume, pens, Chapstick, a bottle of water, extra pair of shoes just in case, and an umbrella... Is that enlightened
I bought a plain black leather bag that matched my shoes. It wasn't too big--just big enough for me to put my portfolio and some flats in. Here's what I brought: portfolio, copy of my application and secondary (just in case), copy of my research thesis (just in case), directions and whatever else I needed to get to the school, ID, cash, floss, breath mints, chapstick, face powder/foundation, makeup remover pen (Target has makeup remover pens by E.L.F. and they're amazing for on-the-go touch-ups), aspirin, flats for the tour, stain remover pads, umbrella, and lint roller.

Reactions: 1 user
Bring a snack too, just in case. Otherwise, sounds good! I also brought a copy of my application and potential interview questions/answers to review on my way there, just to make me feel better.

I just got back from my first interview. I would say that 85-90% of interviewees were wearing black suits. Lots of women were also wearing long hair down, sleeveless shirts, patterned shirts, 3/4 length suit tops, messy hair, etc. (things that I've read were big no-nos). However, I can't tell you if any of these wardrobe choices affected their interview.
My personal advice: If you can find a navy or charcoal suit on sale and you feel comfortable shelling out the money, then go for it. If you're going to have to eat ramen for a month to afford a new suit, then I don't think it's worth it. Just try to look clean and professional, and let your personality speak for itself :)

A lot of this stuff (wearing long hair down, sleeveless shirts, patterned shirts, 3/4 length suit tops, messy hair, etc.) I would put in the "sub-optimal but non-fatal" category. Though in August, I'm not even sure I'd categorize sleeveless as a 'mistake' at all. Shows some common sense, ya' know?

Agree about bringing a copy of your application and secondaries so you can refresh yourself on what you said.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you ladies think of a pale pink button down under a navy suit? I found a shirt I liked in pink or white, so I was not sure if the pink would look too feminine. It's definitely a very pale pink and a classic shirt.. no ruffles or anything like that.
I am planing on a light pink under either a black or a navy suit. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of this stuff (wearing long hair down, sleeveless shirts, patterned shirts, 3/4 length suit tops, messy hair, etc.) I would put in the "sub-optimal but non-fatal" category.

Wondering about the "long hair down" faux pas. My hair is straight, fine, and about mid-back in length. For all the conferences I've been on I've done some smooth, loose waves for volume and pinned the front pieces back. This takes me about 5 minutes to do and holds up fairly well. (I was also wear it down because when I get nervous my ears/neck get really flushed :bag:).

Would this be too unprofessional?

Sorry I'm such a fashion newbie... working in a lab/hospital all your life really doesn't teach you much about business-wear. Really grateful to have these threads around.

A lot of this stuff (wearing long hair down, sleeveless shirts, patterned shirts, 3/4 length suit tops, messy hair, etc.) I would put in the "sub-optimal but non-fatal" category.

Agreed. None of these things are "fatal" errors. I would usually chalk them up to "too young/doesn't know/doesn't have a female role model to ask" minor errors rather than some of the "everyone should know" ones that occasionally crop up (FM shoes, visible cleavage, skirts mid thigh etc).

As for long hair, it really depends on how well controlled it is otherwise. I'll admit that I ignored the "wear your hair up in a twist or bun" for my surgery oral boards because I just feel more comfortable with the front pulled back and the layers have a tendency to fall out on the side without a ton of hairspray. So I don't think you necessarily have to wear it up, but it must be brushed smooth (or as "ruly" as it can be) and kept out of your face. If you tend to "play" with your hair (a common nervous habit), it is better for it to be up.

http://www.express.com/clothing/flutter sleeve top/pro/8651070/cat430028
I want a lighter (almost white) pink, but I can't find one to save my life. Any suggestions? I like this cut, a bit more modest than the others that I saw.
Ann Taylor had one earlier this year, but I don't see it now. If you'd be ok with a long sleeve, Loft has something similar in the color you're looking for: http://www.loft.com/pintucked-plack...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=8804

Liz Claiborne has really nice/professional looking bags to bring to interviews as an FYI; just got a $30 one today from JCPenney! The cheapest bag I found other than this that looked as professional was $170 Ralph Lauren.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a comfortable professional shoe brand? I heard Clarks were good, but any others?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a comfortable professional shoe brand? I heard Clarks were good, but any others?

Naturalizer? This is an Interview Attire thread though, not an "all day on the wards" attire thread, so comfort should not be the only criteria. If I recall Clarks are on the high-cost/low-beauty side, so you may get more mileage at lower cost out of something else.

Naturalizer? This is an Interview Attire thread though, not an "all day on the wards" attire thread, so comfort should not be the only criteria. If I recall Clarks are on the high-cost/low-beauty side, so you may get more mileage at lower cost out of something else.
I just thought there might be walking on the tour, and I don't have the best feet (I wear orthotics at the ripe old age of 20 something). But I can probably find something else that can work for the day.

I also just got my first interview, so I feel better about shopping now!

I just thought there might be walking on the tour, and I don't have the best feet (I wear orthotics at the ripe old age of 20 something). But I can probably find something else that can work for the day.

Well shucks! Foot pain is a real PITA, so in your case, forget the beauty part and invest in the Clarks. I did a quick check on their site, and there were some shoes there that were reasonably attractive... You could certainly find similar-looking shoes elsewhere for a lot less, but if you've got foot trouble, don't waste your money on 'just for show' shoes. There will very likely be lots of walking on the tour, so comfort is a legitimate consideration.

Reactions: 2 users

Like @DokterMom notes, these shoes tend to have a low "beauty-comfort" ratio.

If you have a DSW or Cole Haan outlet, you can find some of their pumps with the Nike Air Cushion sole are more comfortable than others.

Reactions: 2 users

Plain shoes are fine. Beautiful shoes sometimes translate as high maintenance.
The applicant in the Louboutin heels last year has not yet been forgotten.. Of course, her strapless dress was the big eyecatcher (not in a good way).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Plain shoes are fine. Beautiful shoes sometimes translate as high maintenance.
The applicant in the Louboutin heels last year has not yet been forgotten.. Of course, her strapless dress was the big eyecatcher (not in a good way).
Strapless dress and Loubs? Geez, where did she think she was going?

And I'm all for style but I have some Loubs and they are not the bastion of comfort on a good day, let alone doing a lot of walking.

Strapless dress and Loubs? Geez, where did she think she was going?

And I'm all for style but I have some Loubs and they are not the bastion of comfort on a good day, let alone doing a lot of walking.
She told the interviewer she was on her way to Vegas.

Reactions: 3 users

Naturalizer brand is amazing and pretty affordable! I have prior foot and knee injuries, so I, too, have to be careful about my shoe selection. I got a nice pair of black Naturalizer heels a few years ago that ran me ~$70 (they would have been cheaper if I waited for a sale), and I can walk around in those for a long time without discomfort. For my recent interview, I wore those Naturalizer heels and also brought a pair of naturalizer flats for the walking tour. I got the Naturalizer flats from my local outlet store for $25.

Check these out (you can usually find promo codes online for further discounts):
http://www.naturalizer.com/en-US/Product/EC0212282-3011489/Naturalizer/Black+Leather/Oribel.aspx
http://www.naturalizer.com/en-US/Product/EC0225232-3007788/Naturalizer/Black+Leather/Lennox.aspx
http://www.naturalizer.com/en-US/Product/EC0215395-3012657/Naturalizer/Black_Black+Shiny/Helina.aspx
There are several more viable options on the website--these are just examples :)

She told the interviewer she was on her way to Vegas.

Oh well, then! Guess her outfit was appropriate after all! At least for the Vegas part of the trip :D

Do you think flat-like shoes with a slight wedge (about 2.5 inches) are too informal? My suit pants would conceal the back part of the shoe, so you probably wouldn't be able to tell unless you were looking. I have a fear of walking in high-heeled shoes.

Also, sorry if this is a weird question: Don't take this the wrong way but do any girls here know any tips on how to look more mature/ older?

Also, sorry if this is a weird question: Don't take this the wrong way but do any girls here know any tips on how to look more mature/ older?

I'm 21 but I look 15. I have found that putting on makeup usually does the trick. As long as I put on mascara, concealer, and do my eyebrows (as a minimum), I look more my age. Just make sure you don't over do it because then you look like a little girl playing dress up. Looking natural is key.

I have a slightly odd question. I decided to go with a dress and a jacket because I think that I'll be much more comfortable. The dress is conservative, but the dress and the jacket are both black. I feel like it looks a bit odd, but the adult I brought along for advice insisted that it was a normal look. I do have a nice, (darker) colored bag to break it up a little bit, but I was thinking of looking for a gray jacket. Thoughts?

Are simple ballet flats acceptable for the tour portion, or just not at all ever for the interview day? I understand they are not true business formal dress, but I have hard to fit feet and am trying to work a little bit with what I already own!

I sure hope so because there is no way I am going to be able to wear heels for an entire day of walking when it has been years since I have worn them for more than a couple hours. For one of my interviews they explicitly state in the email that we should feel free to bring walking shoes for the tour. I would assume most schools have similar thinking on this.

I have a slightly odd question. I decided to go with a dress and a jacket because I think that I'll be much more comfortable. The dress is conservative, but the dress and the jacket are both black. I feel like it looks a bit odd, but the adult I brought along for advice insisted that it was a normal look. I do have a nice, (darker) colored bag to break it up a little bit, but I was thinking of looking for a gray jacket. Thoughts?
No the point is to be wearing a suit; the gray jacket will make the look less professional.

Stick with the dress and jacket in the same color and add a nice necklace or scarf for color.

Do you think flat-like shoes with a slight wedge (about 2.5 inches) are too informal? My suit pants would conceal the back part of the shoe, so you probably wouldn't be able to tell unless you were looking. I have a fear of walking in high-heeled shoes.

Wedges are more casual than heels, but you could probably get away with them with slacks. Make sure they're 'dressy wedges' though, so no cork, fabric, wood, etc.

Dress and jacket combinations in declining order of desirability:
  • Matching - same color, same fabric, so a dress suit.
  • Contrasting - different color, different fabrics, one being much more colorful than the other, but looking like they belong together. Ex. black dress, black & white boucle or herringbone jacket.
  • Near-contrast - Same color, very different fabrics or different colors, similar fabrics. Difficult to pull off well... (Your black and black combo could fall in here. Do the fabrics really play well together?)
  • Near miss - Similar color, similar fabrics. Your black & black could also fall in here if the fabrics are both 'suiting' but not the same.
Are simple ballet flats acceptable for the tour portion, or just not at all ever for the interview day? I understand they are not true business formal dress, but I have hard to fit feet and am trying to work a little bit with what I already own!

http://www.zappos.com/sam-edelman-felicia-black-leather
http://www.zappos.com/sam-edelman-noah-nude?zlfid=191&ref=pd_sims_p_ab_1

Sorry, but your flats should have enough 'structure' to them that they could never pass for 'house shoes'. Imagine you encounter the dean of admissions on the walking tour -- Do you feel professionally-enough dressed that s/he could pull you aside for your interview right then?

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the great perspective and advice, @DokterMom! Now on the hunt for a professional flat that my feet can wear - which I'm sure will serve me well in the future.

Thanks y'all! I'll brave the trip into the city and see if I can do a little better!

Thoughts on this bag? To go with a black pantsuit? (Do the brown straps make it look unprofessional?)
Screen shot 2014-08-06 at 12.30.30 PM.png

Thoughts on this bag? To go with a black pantsuit? (Do the brown straps make it look unprofessional?)View attachment 184295
The brown straps don't make it look unprofessional per se it just makes it look more casual.

You really want a more structured bag rather than this which has the shape of a beach bag.

In addition you don't need something that big.

This is the look you're going for: http://www.stylywear.com/product_images/h/345/carbotti-timeless-black-01__92222_zoom.gif

Last edited: