Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! Yes, I meant a button up blouse. Sorry, I'm not too clothes savvy.

What are your thoughts on this tote? http://resources.shopstyle.com/sim/...a37b/vera-wang-simply-vera-catherine-tote.jpg

And what's the criteria for a wristwatch? I've never worn one before. I found this one, but I'm not sure if it's business formal.
http://media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/is/image/kohls/1233147?wid=350&hei=350&op_sharpen=1
Not sure what the pre med fetish is with "totes" which are, by nature, more casual but this one is just as "ok" as the rest.

You don't need a watch unless you want to tell the time but this one is fine,

Members don't see this ad.

I already own these wedge pumps, they are super comfortable, and I don't do well in regular heels... Would these be ok with a black or charcoal pant suit?

http://www.steinmart.com/life-stride-juliana-wedge-pump-zid25-4614616/cat-25-catid-Wedgesandals?var_id=25-4614616&vva_ColorCode=999&_t=pfm=end_cap&pfmvalue=New%20Arrivals

My concern is the style, and of course the material... Faux suede and a hint of patent leather accent. They are not loud or distracting in person, I wear them at work all the time.

I already own these wedge pumps, they are super comfortable, and I don't do well in regular heels... Would these be ok with a black or charcoal pant suit?

http://www.steinmart.com/life-stride-juliana-wedge-pump-zid25-4614616/cat-25-catid-Wedgesandals?var_id=25-4614616&vva_ColorCode=999&_t=pfm=end_cap&pfmvalue=New%20Arrivals

My concern is the style, and of course the material... Faux suede and a hint of patent leather accent. They are not loud or distracting in person, I wear them at work all the time.
I think they'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a bunch of links to different bag styles. I was originally going for one with a shorter strap (more like a handle) that I would hold at my side, kind of like a briefcase? Rather than slinging my arm through it and carrying it on my shoulder like a traditional bag. Is that fine, or should I go for a longer strap?

Thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to add that Banana Republic have some really professional looking heels and you can get them at different height. They often have 40% off which bring down the price to <80 sometimes. They are plain and comfortable.
My question is: when I do wear skirt suits, should I wear pantyhose or tights? I read a book written by a male who said girls should not go to interview bare legged. What do you guys think?

My question is: when I do wear skirt suits, should I wear pantyhose or tights? I read a book written by a male who said girls should not go to interview bare legged. What do you guys think?

Absolutely wear hose with your suit, even with trousers (although you can get away with knee highs).

Do not wear "tights"; they are too casual.

Absolutely wear hose with your suit, even with trousers (although you can get away with knee highs).

Do not wear "tights"; they are too casual.

Should they be nude or dark pantyhose? Or does it not matter?

What is the consensus on long hair?

I have longer hair as well, and I always wear it all or mostly down so I'm pretty horrible at buns/chignon. It's also thick which adds to the struggle for me. I was planning sort of half-up by pulling the front away from my face and securing it in the back with a barrette of some sort. I believe it can look professional if done right.

I have longer hair as well, and I always wear it all or mostly down so I'm pretty horrible at buns/chignon. It's also thick which adds to the struggle for me. I was planning sort of half-up by pulling the front away from my face and securing it in the back with a barrette of some sort. I believe it can look professional if done right.

I was thinking the same thing. Hope it looks professional enough, I'm really bad at buns!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on wearing a black pang suit. Would nude pumps be alright or should I have dark shoes?

I'm planning on wearing a black pang suit. Would nude pumps be alright or should I have dark shoes?
Your shoes should be darker than your suits. If you have dark colored hair, it's also a good fashion practice to match it with your hair color.

I was thinking the same thing. Hope it looks professional enough, I'm really bad at buns!
All my bun attempts have failed. Honestly it's one of the biggest source of stress among many things to worry about for interviews.

Your shoes should be darker than your suits. If you have dark colored hair, it's also a good fashion practice to match it with your hair color.

Can I wear navy pumps with a navy suit...? Brown hair.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
http://www.bluesuitsonline.com/interview_suit-guide.html
I also have really dark brown hair and dark navy suit.I was going to go down the navy pumps road until I read this. I decided to go with a pair of black shoes.

What a helpful read! I loved the "We highly recommend that you don't even think about wearing boots to an interview." And then later for the Non-Corporate... "Boots with a suit is still not fashionable nor appropriate for a job interview." I got a good giggle out of that. Thank you for sharing!

Edit: Apparently @Avocado8 and I noticed the same thing at the same time haha

What sorts of trouble are you having with doing the bun?
I have ridiculously silky hair. It's not a bad thing by itself, but whenever I attempted to make buns, they just kept falling apart, when I make it too tight, it hurts...I just can't...:dead:...

I have ridiculously silky hair. It's normally not a bad thing, but whenever I attempt to make buns, they just kept falling apart, when I make it too tight, it hurts...
Ok, it sounds like you are trying it with clean hair.

Its gotta be a bit dirty. Maybe even grunged up with some hairspray or mousse to stiffen it a bit. Day or two or even three day old hair. Give that a try and see if that doesn't work for you. Without texture, the bun won't hold very well.

Reactions: 3 users
"We highly recommend that you don't even think about wearing boots to an interview.":rolleyes:

I loved the "We highly recommend that you don't even think about wearing boots to an interview." And then later for the Non-Corporate... "Boots with a suit is still not fashionable nor appropriate for a job interview." I noticed the same thing at the same time haha

I did too. Glad to see the new generation of physicians have our passive aggressive radar installed. To make it more dramatic and appropriate for the current generation, the article could have added "It would also not be the most ideal practice to wear UGG boots to your interview;".

Reactions: 1 users
Can I wear navy pumps with a navy suit...? Brown hair.
Posted using SDN Mobile

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with navy shoes and a navy suit provided that the navies match. And that's the usual problem -- Navy usually has an undertone of green, purple or gray, and if your shoes go purple and your suit goes green, then you've got a mismatch on your hands. But well-matched navies are terrific together.

My first interview is at the medical school in my city, and I was wondering if it was necessary to bring a purse or handbag with me? I have an old Calvin Klein bag that is very professional but lacks definition without a lot of items in it and is a bit on the large side. I'm not sure if I have enough time to find an affordable bag for this week, but do have a leather portfolio that would be more than enough for my interview day at this school. Other interviewees have said that they leave their bags in the conference room and most brought their regular purses. Just didn't want to look strange without a bag on my first interview, so figured I'd ask. Thank you!

Are there different opinions about wearing a collared, button up blouse as opposed to a nice, non collared blouse under a jacket? The collared shirts bunch up and are very unflattering on me. I definitely look more put together with a non collared blouse

My first interview is at the medical school in my city, and I was wondering if it was necessary to bring a purse or handbag with me? I have an old Calvin Klein bag that is very professional but lacks definition without a lot of items in it and is a bit on the large side. I'm not sure if I have enough time to find an affordable bag for this week, but do have a leather portfolio that would be more than enough for my interview day at this school. Other interviewees have said that they leave their bags in the conference room and most brought their regular purses. Just didn't want to look strange without a bag on my first interview, so figured I'd ask. Thank you!

Most people bring a purse/bag; others only a padfolio. Personal preference but I'd recommend a bag big enough for comfortable shoes...

When it doubt, anything subtle is probably ok.

Most people bring a purse/bag; others only a padfolio. Personal preference but I'd recommend a bag big enough for comfortable shoes...

When it doubt, anything subtle is probably ok.

Thanks! I think I'll stick to a padfolio for this interview as I know the campus well and there won't be a lot of walking, and then look into getting a bag for future interviews.

Are there different opinions about wearing a collared, button up blouse as opposed to a nice, non collared blouse under a jacket? The collared shirts bunch up and are very unflattering on me. I definitely look more put together with a non collared blouse

Either is fine, so if one looks good and the other doesn't -- wear the one that looks good!

Is there anything particularly wrong with a clutch instead of a bag? I brought an over the shoulder plain leather bag to an interview and I actually found it to be a huge pain. I had to put it on the ground all the time, and then when we moved I had to gather a folder/ portfolio and perhaps water bottle plus grab a bag from the floor. In theory, they fit into the bag, but it wasn't practical to out things in the bag while other people were waiting for me so we could exit the row. One other interviewee had brought a medium sized clutch, big enough for keys, hose, mints, etc and just put it next to her on the chair or on the table and then could hold it alongside her portfolio when we moved.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...utch?ID=1376045&CategoryID=26846&RVI=Browse_1

I thought it was a great idea. Is there something I'm missing or is this a good option instead of a bag?

I thought it was a great idea. Is there something I'm missing or is this a good option instead of a bag?

My only reservations with a clutch in general are:
  • Will it hold everything you want it to? (Only you can answer that - it certainly would for me.)
  • Will it occupy your hands when you need them for other things? (The one you showed had a shoulder strap, so not a problem.)
You're trying to look organized and together. For some, that means dropping everything into a tote (shoes, make-up kit, extra hose, portfolio, cell phone, wallet, car keys, kitchen sink). For others, it means carrying two small items (portfolio + clutch) rather than one that's much too big. But either way, the idea is not to look like you're fumbling stuff.

HELP!!

Went shopping today to see if i could find something for interviews but I had the worst luck ever. I tried on skirts, pants, jackets, etc & only 1 pair of pants fit decently.. everything else was not form fitting and the jackets did not fit well at all.. Im short and have wide hips so that makes it even harder! I tried on stuff at Express, Banana Republic, and some Calvin Klein stuff at Macy's but i did not feel comfortable in the way it made me look! I want to look professional but I also want to dress in a way where I feel comfortable with how I look... I'm more on the fashionista side..

Any advice?

How are these shoes?
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...e=#fn=PAGEINDEX=2&sp=2&spc=68&ruleId=&slotId=

HELP!!

Went shopping today to see if i could find something for interviews but I had the worst luck ever. I tried on skirts, pants, jackets, etc & only 1 pair of pants fit decently.. everything else was not form fitting and the jackets did not fit well at all.. Im short and have wide hips so that makes it even harder! I tried on stuff at Express, Banana Republic, and some Calvin Klein stuff at Macy's but i did not feel comfortable in the way it made me look! I want to look professional but I also want to dress in a way where I feel comfortable with how I look... I'm more on the fashionista side..

Any advice?

Take a deep breath and some time. Most of us aren't supermodels who look good in whatever we put on. After a couple of hours, most people get frustrated. So keep trying.

If you have wider hips, I'd make the suggestion that BR is not the store for you. As far as being comfortable, that's a good goal although for the more "fashionista" types, it can feel odd to wear more corporate, so make sure you aren't discarding things which are perfectly acceptable for a short period of your life because you feel "uncomfortable" in them.

Ankle straps are considered "sexy" and the standard advice is to stay away from them for an occasion such as a job interview.

Take a deep breath and some time. Most of us aren't supermodels who look good in whatever we put on. After a couple of hours, most people get frustrated. So keep trying.

If you have wider hips, I'd make the suggestion that BR is not the store for you. As far as being comfortable, that's a good goal although for the more "fashionista" types, it can feel odd to wear more corporate, so make sure you aren't discarding things which are perfectly acceptable for a short period of your life because you feel "uncomfortable" in them.

Ankle straps are considered "sexy" and the standard advice is to stay away from them for an occasion such as a job interview.

They didn't fit well, tight in some areas (HIPS) and loose in others. Express's stuff fit better but they only had 2 shirt suits and they were odd patterns (and they were tighter around the booty o_O.

So they would be a complete No, No? they were so comfyyyy! and I chose those with a strap because my feet size is weird, I'm in between a full size and a half size so sometimes my feet slip out and it makes it harder to walk. The strap makes it easier

What about:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bar-iii-edith-two-piece-pumps?ID=1727786&CategoryID=13247&brandIndex=1#fn=sp=1&spc=21&kws=bar iii womens shoes&slotId=

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co-womens-payslee-pumps?ID=1491535&CategoryID=55768&LinkType=#fn=PAGEINDEX=2&sp=2&spc=70&ruleId=&slotId= [In Black]

They didn't fit well, tight in some areas (HIPS) and loose in others. Express's stuff fit better but they only had 2 shirt suits and they were odd patterns (and they were tighter around the booty o_O.

It sounds as if you have a more "womanly" figure. Therefore, stores like BR, J Crew and Express (which cater to the more slim hipped) aren't really the best choices for a wide range of styles which fit you well. As I've mentioned in the other Women's Interview thread, Ann Taylor has different cuts; you might find the Curvy fit works for you. Other stores like Talbots and brands like Tahari are more generously cut.

So they would be a complete No, No? they were so comfyyyy! and I chose those with a strap because my feet size is weird, I'm in between a full size and a half size so sometimes my feet slip out and it makes it harder to walk. The strap makes it easier

What about:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bar-iii-edith-two-piece-pumps?ID=1727786&CategoryID=13247&brandIndex=1#fn=sp=1&spc=21&kws=bar iii womens shoes&slotId=

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co-womens-payslee-pumps?ID=1491535&CategoryID=55768&LinkType=#fn=PAGEINDEX=2&sp=2&spc=70&ruleId=&slotId= [In Black]

Different brands will fit differently. If you consistently have a problem with your feet slipping out of heels, its probably because your feet are sliding forward in the shoe. There are "shoe petals" which you can put in which rectify that problem. If you absolutely must have a strap, typically a Mary Jane style is considered best: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=#fn=PAGEINDEX=4&sp=4&spc=830&ruleId=&slotId=

Need some collared shirt help!! I can't really find any! I looked today and managed to find one at h&m that had buttons going all the way up. Most of the shirts I saw were purposely boxy, had a v-neck instead of buttons at the top, or seemed too expensive. Where have people had the best luck finding them/is it unrealistic for me to spend less than $50 on a button up shirt?

I feel you pain. I saw one at Nordstrom, a plain light blue shirt. It wasn't that good and the buttons were falling off. $395! And it was michael kors! Seriously? Good news was, I was able to buy two plain but nicely fitting ones at the NY company. It was 50% off $25.

Need some collared shirt help!! I can't really find any! I looked today and managed to find one at h&m that had buttons going all the way up. Most of the shirts I saw were purposely boxy, had a v-neck instead of buttons at the top, or seemed too expensive. Where have people had the best luck finding them/is it unrealistic for me to spend less than $50 on a button up shirt?
Try The Limited - decent quality, decent prices, pretty simple/classic clothes for the most part.

Would it look impractical to wear a skirt suit (or a dress+blazer) in Boston during early November? I'm rather short so pants can look oddly proportioned on me.

I'm really loving this separates look from CK, but my colleague says having color up top and black on bottom makes a suit too casual.
They are the same fabric from the same collection. I would button it, of course. It does not strike me as too casual at all, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
I really want to avoid the funeral procession, but I'm built for a solid, black bottom half.
Can I do this lovely jacket/skirt set?
10-7-2014 12-49-35 PM.jpg

(Ignore the shell. I'm not loving it.)

@DokterMom @Winged Scapula

Banana Republic has nice no-iron, opaque button up shirts for about $50 each

I'm really loving this separates look from CK, but my colleague says having color up top and black on bottom makes a suit too casual.
They are the same fabric from the same collection. I would button it, of course. It does not strike me as too casual at all, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
I really want to avoid the funeral procession, but I'm built for a solid, black bottom half.
View attachment 186045

Yes, by definition a mismatched/coordinated suit is less professional and more casual.

If you are "built for black" have you considered a navy or dark charcoal suit? That would break up the monotony.

Reactions: 2 users
What's wrong with a V neck?

You aren't required to wear a button front shirt. A nice jewel neck, modest v or cowl are perfectly acceptable, look more feminine and in many cases, are more flattering.

Thank you @Winged Scapula ! I guess I had the impression that the v neck button up would be too casual. Seeing that my first interview is in florida where it is still in the 80s, I will gladly forgo those top 2 buttons!

View attachment 186045

Agreeing that non-matching jacket and skirt are less formal than matching suit. I don't think it goes quite to the same 'sports coat and slacks' degree that it does for men, but matching is better. For states like Florida, TX and CA that are more casual, I'd suspect it's not a big deal. But in the northeast, it could matter.

Agreeing that non-matching jacket and skirt are less formal than matching suit. I don't think it goes quite to the same 'sports coat and slacks' degree that it does for men, but matching is better. For states like Florida, TX and CA that are more casual, I'd suspect it's not a big deal. But in the northeast, it could matter.
We still expect business formal in CA.