Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, quick question:
Is it okay/appropriate to wear black shoes with a navy skirt suit? I have a pair of black pumps that I adore, are broken in and are comfortable but have always heard black and blue never go together?
Navy and black are in this year. Finally.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Collared, buttoned shirts on women are actually more difficult to pull off for a number of reasons (two of which are secondary sex characteristics). Even more challenging is the fact that there is no tie to center and hold the whole look together. I recommend a shell or closed front blouse.
Great points! I also can't fine a shirt that fits my neck, and unlike a guy, I can't buy shirts with different neck size. But what's done is done. For the remaining two interviews next month I'll try something different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am in need of some advice on wearing a fuschia/pink suit to an interview or simply talking me out of buying one. I recently found one at a local boutique. It is definitely me, looks great with my skin and hair color and I want to change up wearing my charcoal suit. Would a fuschia/pink skirt suit be appropriate for a medical school interview?

I....what????? Do you even have to ask this question? NOT FOR INTERVIEW PLZ.

....I have a supercute fuschia pink tweed skirt suit I've worn to work before though. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hot pink might be a nice color for a shell or something under a dark suit, but I just can't see it being OK for a whole suit

I wouldnt do neon pink under a suit no matter how dark the color of the suit and how pretty pink may look against ones skin color, however, a rose pink would be really nice.

I have a sheath dress with a matching blazer in a dark charcoal. It fits okay and what not but it's incredibly boring/stiff looking. Any suggestions for making the outfit more interesting looking?

Pretty NOT OVERDONE makeup

Shoes with an interesting detail, but in some sort of dark or nude color

I would stay away from any type of statement jewelry

Also, is it considered okay to wear a dress- no matter how formal- to an interview? IDK.

I wouldnt do neon pink under a suit no matter how dark the color of the suit and how pretty pink may look against ones skin color, however, a rose pink would be really nice.
I think a bright pink, magenta, or fuchsia is fine but you really should stay away from the electric or neon pink colors.

Pretty NOT OVERDONE makeup

Shoes with an interesting detail, but in some sort of dark or nude color

I would stay away from any type of statement jewelry

Also, is it considered okay to wear a dress- no matter how formal- to an interview? IDK.
A sheath dress with a matching jacket is perfectly fine. I would break up the monotony me with a colorful scarf brooch or necklace.

Now that I have some interviews under my belt let me thank everyone for the input on this thread! Helped me look and do my best!

A sheath dress with a matching jacket is perfectly fine. I would break up the monotony me with a colorful scarf brooch or necklace.

Thanks. I think i'll go the necklace route. From what I have read in this forum, the rule of thumb for jewelry is usually to wear something delicate and nonintrusive. Do I have a little more leeway in this situation? Basically, I have no idea what an appropriate necklace would be. Something chunkier (along the lines of costume jewelry) or a pendant with a single stone? Pretty terrible when it comes to accessories so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks. I think i'll go the necklace route. From what I have read in this forum, the rule of thumb for jewelry is usually to wear something delicate and nonintrusive. Do I have a little more leeway in this situation? Basically, I have no idea what an appropriate necklace would be. Something chunkier (along the lines of costume jewelry) or a pendant with a single stone? Pretty terrible when it comes to accessories so any help would be appreciated!
If you're using it to break up the monotony of a single color outfit then you do want to stay away from the very delicate necklaces which will not be noticeable or stand out in anyway.

You can always opt for a classic pearl necklace, or something in a silver metal. When I get home I'll find a few pictures of things I think might be acceptable and post them.

I do not recommend pendants, tiny or otherwise. They tend to draw the eye away from the face.
Pearl strands are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend pendants, tiny or otherwise. They tend to draw the eye away from the face.
Pearl strands are fine.
Thanks this is very helpful. If pendants are distracting then the necklace I was thinking about wearing would definitely be a poor choice.

So.... This is a "at which point do I need to panic/how much do I need to panic" question...

This is my second interview cycle. My first interview cycle was this March. Since June, I have lost 25 + lbs, and I took my suits to the Dillard's store I purchased them (40 miles away) to get them re-tailored the first day I had free during the tailor's limited 10am-2pm hours. She informed me one suit jacket could not be fixed, but she could save the pants by taking them 2.5-3" in... In panic mode, I went to the next Dillard's, 50 more miles away and purchased a few more items and will be taking them to another tailor I've never been to (closer to home, but part of a joint Nail and Alterations salon???) in hopes that I will have something to wear for next week. How much should I be panicking that either tailor will be done by Dec 3rd when I drive to my interview? I have felt so much better since losing the weight, but I did not realize it would be a problem later on :(

So.... This is a "at which point do I need to panic/how much do I need to panic" question...

This is my second interview cycle. My first interview cycle was this March. Since June, I have lost 25 + lbs, and I took my suits to the Dillard's store I purchased them (40 miles away) to get them re-tailored the first day I had free during the tailor's limited 10am-2pm hours. She informed me one suit jacket could not be fixed, but she could save the pants by taking them 2.5-3" in... In panic mode, I went to the next Dillard's, 50 more miles away and purchased a few more items and will be taking them to another tailor I've never been to (closer to home, but part of a joint Nail and Alterations salon???) in hopes that I will have something to wear for next week. How much should I be panicking that either tailor will be done by Dec 3rd when I drive to my interview? I have felt so much better since losing the weight, but I did not realize it would be a problem later on :(
Call the tailors! Many places can meet your deadlines if you just make them aware of them (and perhaps be willing to pay a rush fee).

Call the tailors! Many places can meet your deadlines if you just make them aware of them (and perhaps be willing to pay a rush fee).
Lol, well, I did get both of them done. The first tailor actually had it completed in one day!

Hi all! Quick question for the student doctor fashionistas:

When I bought my suit, I was preparing for an August 1 interview on the coast (AKA super hot outside), so I bought a skirt suit. I have my last interview approaching and it's scheduled for the middle of January in a cold location (I'm thinking it'll be around 40-45 degrees F). Am I going to look ridiculous wearing a skirt suit in mid-January? I really don't want to shell out another couple hundred bucks for another suit (and I don't have time to go bargain shopping for a cheaper one).

The suit I have is Calvin Klein so I could probably find the pant bottoms in the same color... But, I've had the jacket dry cleaned several times and I'm not sure if the color difference, if any, will be apparent. Plus, I don't want to spend any more money +pity+

Also, I'm going to visit a few of my top choice schools for a second look and another tour, and it just so happens that I'm showing up on interview day for one of them. The dean said that I could just hop in the interview day festivities. Do y'all think I should bust the suit out for this? (I want to burn this suit at this point). Or can I get away with some nice slacks and top?

Thank you in advance!!!

Lol, well, I did get both of them done. The first tailor actually had it completed in one day!
Yay! Skilled tailors are insanely talented. Good thing you didn't need to panic ;)

When I bought my suit, I was preparing for an August 1 interview on the coast (AKA super hot outside), so I bought a skirt suit. I have my last interview approaching and it's scheduled for the middle of January in a cold location (I'm thinking it'll be around 40-45 degrees F). Am I going to look ridiculous wearing a skirt suit in mid-January? I really don't want to shell out another couple hundred bucks for another suit (and I don't have time to go bargain shopping for a cheaper one).

Soo...a daytime temp of 40-45 degrees isn't really considered "cold" (well, to me it is but to most of the country it is not). Thus, you won't look ridiculous wearing a skirt and you will be inside for the vast majority of the time, if not all.

Also, I'm going to visit a few of my top choice schools for a second look and another tour, and it just so happens that I'm showing up on interview day for one of them. The dean said that I could just hop in the interview day festivities. Do y'all think I should bust the suit out for this? (I want to burn this suit at this point). Or can I get away with some nice slacks and top?

Do you really need a second look? I know for residency we find them, well rather annoying. What do you hope to achieve or find out that you didn't the first time? At any rate, I would wear the suit again.

Reactions: 3 users
Re. blouse vs button down shirt: I have no idea where I would be able to find a blouse without a button front, or a nice shell that is not too low cut, so I ended up buying a button down shirt at Banana Republic. It's non-iron (read: not quite as wrinkly) but is fit quite nicely in that it's longer in the back and has more room in the bust and shoulders than other shirts that I've tried.

I'm glad you found a top that works for you.

I'm able to see at least 10 tops at Ann Taylor that would work (not button front, not too low, not too sheer), and many others at Loft, Talbots, Macys etc. Truthfully, BR has nicer suits but does not do work appropriate tops well - they have very little choice in that department; many other stores dress professional women better.

Reactions: 2 users
Truthfully, BR has nicer suits but does not do work appropriate tops well - they have very little choice in that department; many other stores dress professional women better.
So true. The only thing that they are good at recently are the plain heels and sometime plain professional looking handbags. With their 40% off promotion, best professional leather wear for the buck

Last edited:

When I bought my suit, I was preparing for an August 1 interview on the coast (AKA super hot outside), so I bought a skirt suit. I have my last interview approaching and it's scheduled for the middle of January in a cold location (I'm thinking it'll be around 40-45 degrees F). Am I going to look ridiculous wearing a skirt suit in mid-January?

No, you won't. I've been wearing 2 skirt suits all over the Northeast for a coven of residency interviews in December. I even wore the skirt suit when it was 5F in the morning (and it was quite cozy in the indoors in that hospital). If it's 45 degrees outside, I start sweating on a half mile walk if I have my wool coat over the suit. If you're really afraid of your legs getting cold on the way to the interview, wear a pair of knee high boots to commute and then pop on your nice shoes as soon as you hit the lobby of whatever building your day starts in.

No, you won't. I've been wearing 2 skirt suits all over the Northeast for a coven of residency interviews in December. I even wore the skirt suit when it was 5F in the morning (and it was quite cozy in the indoors in that hospital). If it's 45 degrees outside, I start sweating on a half mile walk if I have my wool coat over the suit. If you're really afraid of your legs getting cold on the way to the interview, wear a pair of knee high boots to commute and then pop on your nice shoes as soon as you hit the lobby of whatever building your day starts in.
Or hot pink legwarmers

Soo...a daytime temp of 40-45 degrees isn't really considered "cold" (well, to me it is but to most of the country it is not). Thus, you won't look ridiculous wearing a skirt and you will be inside for the vast majority of the time, if not all.

Do you really need a second look? I know for residency we find them, well rather annoying. What do you hope to achieve or find out that you didn't the first time? At any rate, I would wear the suit again.
Thanks for your response! It's good to know I won't need to go on the hunt for a pants suit.
I'm going on a second look mainly so that my husband can experience the cities we will potentially live in. I'm still relatively undecided in which school I really prefer, so I figured a second look couldn't hurt since we'll be in the area anyways.

Thanks for your response! It's good to know I won't need to go on the hunt for a pants suit.
I'm going on a second look mainly so that my husband can experience the cities we will potentially live in. I'm still relatively undecided in which school I really prefer, so I figured a second look couldn't hurt since we'll be in the area anyways.
I don't know about it not hurting.

At least in the residency world, the more they know about you, the more likely it is they'll dislike you.
There's always the risk of being seen as that annoying kid.

I don't know about it not hurting.

At least in the residency world, the more they know about you, the more likely it is they'll dislike you.
There's always the risk of being seen as that annoying kid.
For medical school we can't change the rank list, though (if they are already accepted)!

Reactions: 4 users
For medical school we can't change the rank list, though (if they are already accepted)!
True. I guess I was under the impression she wasn't already accepted but now that I think about it makes more sense that she's been accepted and is trying to decide between two separate programs.

So...NM!!

Wait what? They can change your rank list after second look in residency matching? Wow. It's like an extra few days of being judged for everything you do or say? Just wow.
I know that I sound like a funny uninformed (accepted) medical student. I don't have much clue at this moment.

Wait what? They can change your rank list after second look in residency matching? Wow. It's like an extra few days of being judged for everything you do or say? Just wow.
I know that I sound like a funny uninformed (accepted) medical student. I don't have much clue at this moment.
We can change the Rank Order List right up until the last moment (so can the candidates!)

We can change the Rank Order List right up until the last moment (so can the candidates!)
:zombie: great.....
Since none of my potential choices are fancy ones (most likely IM, maybe EM/Psych, a small chance for ObGyn) hopefully it'll be slightly easier.

True. I guess I was under the impression she wasn't already accepted but now that I think about it makes more sense that she's been accepted and is trying to decide between two separate programs.

So...NM!!
Yikes! I am already accepted to the schools I'm visiting, but this is good info for the residency interview process. Thanks!

Yikes! I am already accepted to the schools I'm visiting, but this is good info for the residency interview process. Thanks!
This isn't true for every residency program but definitely for smaller surgical/surgical subspecialty programs and very busy internal medicine (for example) programs, the "second look" isn't as well received as you might think: it ends up being more work for an already overworked residency crew.

I"m confused about the "fancy" comment; can you clarify and how it makes things easier?
Fancy=competitive.
According to my limited knowledge, the number of programs to which one must apply is correlated with the competitiveness of the specialty. Since I'm mostly considering IM, I heard I don't have to go far beyond the allowed free 10 application. It reduces the number of interviews that i have to go to.
Feel free to laugh/correct...I am as ignorant about matching as it gets...

Fancy=competitive.
According to my limited knowledge, the number of programs to which one must apply is correlated with the competitiveness of the specialty. Since I'm mostly considering IM, I heard I don't have to go far beyond the allowed free 10 application. It reduces the number of interviews that i have to go to.
Feel free to laugh/correct...I am as ignorant about matching as it gets...
Ok let me see if I have this straight:

1) apply to "non-fancy" specialty at "non-fancy" programs
2) needs fewer interviews to secure likely match compared to "fancy" programs/specialty
3) fewer interviews --> less likely to need second look to make up your mind
4) no second looks mean no second chance to screw things up
5) profit

Ok let me see if I have this straight:

1) apply to "non-fancy" specialty at "non-fancy" programs
2) needs fewer interviews to secure likely match compared to "fancy" programs/specialty
3) fewer interviews --> less likely to need second look to make up your mind
4) no second looks mean no second chance to screw things up
5) profit

Pretty much. Although for 1) I do hope to get into a top IM program in a good location. I guess I was just assuming that it is easier to get into a competitive program for a non-competitive specialty than to get into a competitive specialty.

Pretty much. Although for 1) I do hope to get into a top IM program in a good location. I guess I was just assuming that it is easier to get into a competitive program for a non-competitive specialty than to get into a competitive specialty.
Not necessarily.

The top IM programs are as competitive as any Derm, Ortho (insert other competitive specialty) program.

Not necessarily.

The top IM programs are as competitive as any Derm, Ortho (insert other competitive specialty) program.
Sigh. It's better to know than to remain ignorant though.

Reactions: 2 users
Belatedly, I've taken a couple "second looks" with my fiance to places we might potentially couples match - but they were second looks at the city and atmosphere, not at the hospital! I didn't see a point in bothering the residents again when I don't really care to see his family medicine clinic building, and he has no interest in my hospital. But there's something to be said for staying in a city together and experiencing the restaurant scene, etc.

thanks for the replies! :) I will keep this in mind when i shop for suits.

Speaking of which, when is the best season to buy suits?
I read somewhere that suits usually go on sale in January.

Speaking of which, when is the best season to buy suits?
I read somewhere that suits usually go on sale in January.

I think it depends on where you buy it. Ann Taylor has sales almost weekly, with at least one 40% off sale per month. Theory just wrapped up an awesome, almost month long 60% off sale. Just like Ann Taylor, Banana Republic has at least one 40% off sale per month. You can sign up for emails from either store to get notifications about their promotions. PS., Ann Taylor's sales are occasionally stackable

My pants were hemmed too short and I had to find last minute shorter heels....what do you guys think of these two options....the round toe is more comfortable for my all day interview/tour....but it has a patent leather cap toe, is that acceptable? It also has a wedge heel while the other is a regular skinny heel.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1421957028.583927.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1421957113.088794.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1421957151.941702.jpg