Wondering about my odds of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zjrcolorado

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I just wanted to get some feedback from the forums. I am a longtime lurker, and just decided to post now.

I recently graduated with an Architectural Engineering degree. My cumulative gpa was just a hair over a 3.0. Recently events in my life have made me realize that I really want to pursue a career in medicine. I am starting online classes very soon to start to complete medical school prerequisites. For the next year I will take chem I&II w/ labs, bio I&II w/ lab, a writing course and another physics w/ lab. From there I will take O-Chem I & II in the summer semester. (my school offers a term a and term b over summer) In the following 2 semesters I plan on taking Biochem, Anatomy and cell bio in the fall (12 credits) and Human Physiology, Intro to immunology, and a pathology course. (10 credits) From there I will take the MCAT and apply for med schools for the Fall of 2018.

I am actively searching for volunteering and work in the health field. I know this is a huge portion of getting accepted. (I am looking to volunteer approximately 10 hrs/wk until I am accepted and/or be working in the field)

But my main question is, how would an application to med school look with my engineering background and 3.0 gpa if I did good in my "post-bacc" courses, scored well on my MCAT and then had the healthcare experience?

Thank you for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing well in post-bac and on MCAT convinces us that you can handle med school.

Invest in MSAR Online to find out how schools view online coursework. Some like them some don't. For example, Albany has no stated preference, while Einstein accepts all classwork But says nothing about Bio and Calc. On the other hand, Baylor does NOT accept any online work, except Spanish. Go figure.

Hello all.

I just wanted to get some feedback from the forums. I am a longtime lurker, and just decided to post now.

I recently graduated with an Architectural Engineering degree. My cumulative gpa was just a hair over a 3.0. Recently events in my life have made me realize that I really want to pursue a career in medicine. I am starting online classes very soon to start to complete medical school prerequisites. For the next year I will take chem I&II w/ labs, bio I&II w/ lab, a writing course and another physics w/ lab. From there I will take O-Chem I & II in the summer semester. (my school offers a term a and term b over summer) In the following 2 semesters I plan on taking Biochem, Anatomy and cell bio in the fall (12 credits) and Human Physiology, Intro to immunology, and a pathology course. (10 credits) From there I will take the MCAT and apply for med schools for the Fall of 2018.

I am actively searching for volunteering and work in the health field. I know this is a huge portion of getting accepted. (I am looking to volunteer approximately 10 hrs/wk until I am accepted and/or be working in the field)

But my main question is, how would an application to med school look with my engineering background and 3.0 gpa if I did good in my "post-bacc" courses, scored well on my MCAT and then had the healthcare experience?

Thank you for all the help.

Goro,

Thank you for the reply. So only this first year will be online. The summer courses and the next 2 semesters will be in person lectures. But I will check out MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro,

Thank you for the reply. So only this first year will be online. The summer courses and the next 2 semesters will be in person lectures. But I will check out MSAR.
As someone who has a very similar story to you in terms of non-trad/major choice, it has worked out well for me thus far. Having a unique major brings more candid conversations to interviews and I believe separates me from my fellow interviewees those days (where many are bio, chem, biochem etc majors)

But of course, N=1.

As someone who has a very similar story to you in terms of non-trad/major choice, it has worked out well for me thus far. Having a unique major brings more candid conversations to interviews and I believe separates me from my fellow interviewees those days (where many are bio, chem, biochem etc majors)

But of course, N=1.

Breezy,

How far along in terms of med school are you? Have you been accepted already?

Thank you

Breezy,

How far along in terms of med school are you? Have you been accepted already?

Thank you
I'll get back to you on Oct 15. I applied very broadly @ 25 institutions, 5IIs so far.