Wondering if optometry fits me

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I’m entering my second year of undergraduate and am now seriously considering studying to be an Optometrist. Having –10 vision myself I definitely understand the importance of seeing clearly and would really want to help others with this. I’m more people oriented than lab science oriented but know I could complete the necessary courses to get into an optometry school. Now here’s my hang up that makes me uncertain. I can’t deal with needles, which I know seems completely ridiculous. I also don’t much like the thought of dissection but know with enough lab classes I could get over that. I guess I wanted to ask people that were in the field if that would be an issue that would stop me from being able to complete the 4 years of studying to be an optometrist.
-Jenjo

Members don't see this ad.

Not many needles. I do use one to remove foreign bodies and other minor lid procedures. In some states ODs do more injections but its mostly pretty minor. Many ODs who can perform flourescein angiograms have nurses inject the dye.

The cadavers are no big deal. They really seem inhuman after they have gone through all the preservation steps.

Thing is, you never know what the future holds.

Indiana University doesn't do cadavers at all anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm new here. I’m entering my second year of undergraduate and am now seriously considering studying to be an Optometrist. Having –10 vision myself I definitely understand the importance of seeing clearly and would really want to help others with this. I’m more people oriented than lab science oriented but know I could complete the necessary courses to get into an optometry school. Now here’s my hang up that makes me uncertain. I can’t deal with needles, which I know seems completely ridiculous. I also don’t much like the thought of dissection but know with enough lab classes I could get over that. I guess I wanted to ask people that were in the field if that would be an issue that would stop me from being able to complete the 4 years of studying to be an optometrist.
-Jenjo

Pffft, whats -10 compared to my -11 :)

:(

Haha achirum! Yeah, you beat me! And thanks everyone for the info.

That’s interesting about Indiana University, is losing the cadavers part of a trend? What classes were they used in before?

No, not much experience with needles in optometry or optometry school. At PCO, you are required to dissect a heart and eyes (of course). We haven't had any experiences with cadavers yet and I don't think we will, just the dissections.

Indiana:

Are there tools other than a needle that could be used to remove foreign bodies or do these lid procedures?

Indiana:

Are there tools other than a needle that could be used to remove foreign bodies or do these lid procedures?

Yes, but I favor the needles since I have a steady hand. The alger brush will probably make you more squeamish. Its basically a small dremel tool to debride the corneal epithelium.

So is that tool sharp or is it more like it sounds...like a brush?

It's sharp...not an actual brush the way we usually think of brushes.

Not that I ever had an opportunity to use mine while I was in school. Unfortunate.

Here you go. Its actually pretty fun to use.

Attachments

• alger.jpg
    alger.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 91