Wondering...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh435

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been an avid follower of SDN throughout my last three years of college, so now that I'm about to apply this coming cycle I'm curious to see what feed back everyone else has for me. I know it may seem like a stupid thread, but everyone application is unique so I just want another view point.

Down to the points:

I have a 3.2 GPA (business administration with financial emphasis)
Science GPA: 2.9
DAT 22AA
4 Solid recommendations
I received all C's in gen Chem and O Chem
b+ in bio classes
A's in physics classes.

My uncle is a DMD who graduated from creighton university, which is a school I'm looking along with UNLV.

I'm just shy of 120 hours of job shadowing, about 250 hours of community service, no research hours. I've also maintained a full time job as a sanitation technician 45+ hours a week throughout college as well (should I use in my benefit?!?!). I also have a son about a year of age as well, and of course my wife.

I'm curious of my chances or odds of an acceptance?! My weakness and strengths.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's great DAT scores, Josh. Since 2.9 is so close to 3, have you considered retaking a couple of the courses that you received C in and see if you can raise that to a B at least? That's very impressive to work 45+ hours while studying at the same time. I think your extracurricular activities are good.

I honestly don't mean to burst your bubble, I just want to give you a little dose of reality. I applied with a 3.2 overall and science GPA, and a 23 DAT no section below 21. Had great recommendations, about the same shadowing hours as you, way more community service, plus 500 hours of research and about year of experience working in a dental lab. My first cycle applying I got one interview, and no acceptances. This cycle I got 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. I personally recommend doing a post bac or masters to improve that GPA, or I'm afraid you will be wasting your money applying to schools. That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
Thanks for being honest, that's what I'm looking for.
But, thats my problem, I was orginlly going after a degree in physics ot the university of Utah, then two years in switched. Due to low grades, as of now my upward trend other then Ochem have been A's....I'm looking into MBA programs, but would love to opt out if anyway possible to fix this curve in the year that I'm givin.

From what I've read about retaking a course is that it it's almost useless to do with my DAT score.

If I have to apply two cycles I would go that route, saves time and the busy motion of going to school again for 13+ months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for being honest, that's what I'm looking for.
But, thats my problem, I was orginlly going after a degree in physics ot the university of Utah, then two years in switched. Due to low grades, as of now my upward trend other then Ochem have been A's....I'm looking into MBA programs, but would love to opt out if anyway possible to fix this curve in the year that I'm givin.

From what I've read about retaking a course is that it it's almost useless to do with my DAT score.

If I have to apply two cycles I would go that route, saves time and the busy motion of going to school again for 13+ months.
DAT is fine, but it will not cover up the GPA. You can easily take both orgo and gen chem classes in one summer. However, that may not be enough. Most schools would like for you to get a Masters, however not an MBA. If you really want an MBA, some schools dental schools offer them. My best advice is to call the schools and ask them what they want you to do.

DAT is fine, but it will not cover up the GPA. You can easily take both orgo and gen chem classes in one summer. However, that may not be enough. Most schools would like for you to get a Masters, however not an MBA. If you really want an MBA, some schools dental schools offer them. My best advice is to call the schools and ask them what they want you to do.
So hypothetically if I can knock out a 3.9ish gpa this last year and put me at 3.39ish overall GPA and then retake Ochem 1 and gen Chem 1 during summer pulling up to around 3.1ish sGPA would be my best route?!

So hypothetically if I can knock out a 3.9ish gpa this last year and put me at 3.39ish overall GPA and then retake Ochem 1 and gen Chem 1 during summer pulling up to around 3.1ish sGPA would be my best route?!
That would make your app so much better.

I honestly don't mean to burst your bubble, I just want to give you a little dose of reality. I applied with a 3.2 overall and science GPA, and a 23 DAT no section below 21. Had great recommendations, about the same shadowing hours as you, way more community service, plus 500 hours of research and about year of experience working in a dental lab. My first cycle applying I got one interview, and no acceptances. This cycle I got 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. I personally recommend doing a post bac or masters to improve that GPA, or I'm afraid you will be wasting your money applying to schools. That's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

^^
Spot on... My first trip thru undergrad left me with a 3.2 GPA with double major in accounting & finance... Worked for 2 years, then realized I wanted dentistry. Went back and made a 4.0 in all science prereqs. 22 AA and nothing below a 20 on DAT... plenty of hrs shadowing and great LOR. Applied to 13 schools: 2 post december interviews and 1 acceptance luckily. I feel like schools saw my cumulative GPA and straight up rejected me.

If you do apply, make sure you apply early! I didn't submit until late September, maybe that was part of the problem

Either way, good luck to you!

Consider post bacc work or applying to an SMP just in case things don't turn out this cycle. I like how your ECs. My advice is to finish the semester with as close to a 4.0 as possible and to get your application in early. Buy the ADEA book to find good schools for you and consider emailing admissions offices for their advice. Good job on the DAT by the way.