Woof... not so great last semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robinsph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, last semester I was taking 16 credits of all pretty hard classes at University of Michigan (last semester of Latin, Calc 2, Molecular bio, and a class on Lakes Rivers and Wetlands). I didn't fail anything, but it was my worst semester since my very first semester of college (2 C's, B-, B). I don't know what the hell happened but I really dropped the ball on that semester and I think I should address it in my personal statement. The grade I'm most concerned about is molecular bio because I got a C in it; it all came down to one test which i studied like crazy for but somehow really really messed up on which threw me to a C instead of getting an A-. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should bring this up in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you rather explain why you didn't do well in certain classes/semester/year or spend that character count on your journey/desire/call/experiences that led you to want to become a doctor?

Up to you but answer is pretty clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
As they said, don't let one poor semester take you down. Plenty of people will have a crappy last semester for more than a few reasons. Just answer genuinely come interview time.

"So, last semester I was taking 16 credits of all pretty hard classes"

4 classes...isn't a heavy semester....

Agree with everyone elsethough, dont mention it.

"So, last semester I was taking 16 credits of all pretty hard classes"

4 classes...isn't a heavy semester....

Agree with everyone elsethough, dont mention it.

I have never taken below 17 credits except this semester.... should have though....

Nevermind the personal statement - would C's in the final semester be a huge red flag for admissions, especially when taking an easier courseload? I would assume it would come up during interviews.

Nevermind the personal statement - would C's in the final semester be a huge red flag for admissions, especially when taking an easier courseload? I would assume it would come up during interviews.

Just have an honest explanation, don't lie. Many have an "off" semester, even if for non-emergency related situations...

Make sure your next semester is A's OP. Otherwise a downward trend, especially in an easy semester will not be looked at favourably.

But no, don't waste space on PS on that - they will already see your grades.