Work/Activities Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flash Forward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if my work/activities are enough or about similar to you guys.

Habitat for humanity - 10 hours
Raleigh Rescue Mission (Homeless shelter) - 86 hours (6 months)
Duke Raleigh Hospital (Same day Surgery) - 100 hours (5 months)
Office Administrative Assistant - 130 hours (8 months)
Research Associate - 68 hours (4 months)
Test Reader (graded standardized tests ex. SATs, APs, etc) - 120 hours (1 month)
QA Analyst (worked as an agent for an international company - part time) - 80 hours (4 months)

This all comes out to be around - 594 hours total.

This is what I plan to put on my application. I might start working as a full time EMT, starting this May (after I take my MCAT). That would be the only thing I would add to my current list.

I am planning on submitting my application in the first week of August. I would appreciate all your suggestions and comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering if my work/activities are enough or about similar to you guys.

Habitat for humanity - 10 hours
Raleigh Rescue Mission (Homeless shelter) - 86 hours
Duke Raleigh Hospital (Same day Surgery) - 100 hours
Office Administrative Assistant - 130 hours
Research Associate - 68 hours
Test Reader (graded standardized tests ex. SATs, APs, etc) - 120 hours
QA Analyst (worked as an agent for an international company - part time) - 80 hours

This all comes out to be around - 594 hours total.

I am planning on submitting my application in the first week of August. I would appreciate all your suggestions and comments.

That's pretty late.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the 2013-2014 application cycle?

Yeah I think so. I'm a little intense and will submit on the first day, but I would think you would want that beast verified by the end of July or early August, which will take a few weeks at that point in the summer.

Ok. Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind. What do you think about my work/activities?

The information the adcom uses is number of months and average number of hours per week. Total hours is not in the mix so it is hard to evaluate given what you've listed.

It would also be nice to know if these are what you have currently (and if so, how they will change by application time), or if they are what you plan to list when you fill out the form for submission.

I just updated my original post. Thanks!

The information the adcom uses is number of months and average number of hours per week. Total hours is not in the mix so it is hard to evaluate given what you've listed.

And how many months would you say most adcoms are looking for in terms of a commitment to one's activities? By the time I apply I'll have about 3 or 4 activities that will have at least 15 months of commitment and others where my involvement was a bit less.

Last edited:
And how many months would you say most adcoms are looking for in terms of a commitment to one's activities? By the time I apply I'll have about 3 or 4 activities that will have at least 15 months of commitment and others where my involvement was a bit less.

That's good. Aside from seasonal activities that end with the season (summer camp, sports teams), it is nice to see activities that extend beyond the length of a school term (3-4 months). And, ideally, you have start dates going back a couple years.... it doesn't look as good to have every activity starting in January 2013 or later when you are applying in June.

I would appreciate all your suggestions and comments.
Will you list any activities with more longevity, say a year or more? From what you've listed, your volunteerism and research activity will be below the average duration I generally see listed. I see now the "compelling reason" why you planned to apply later in the season. I think it will be very important for you to continue these activities through your application season, if you decide to proceed with applying summer 2013.

And don't forget to get in some physician shadowing, as many med schools will expect to see it, and it will help with many typical interview questions. This is one activity where last minute involvement isn't a big deal.

That's good. Aside from seasonal activities that end with the season (summer camp, sports teams), it is nice to see activities that extend beyond the length of a school term (3-4 months). And, ideally, you have start dates going back a couple years.... it doesn't look as good to have every activity starting in January 2013 or later when you are applying in June.

I've got some activities going back to 2010 and a few 2007 ending in 2008. I plan on applying in 2014. Thanks for your input!

Yeah I think so. I'm a little intense and will submit on the first day, but I would think you would want that beast verified by the end of July or early August, which will take a few weeks at that point in the summer.

Not intense. Rational.

Time of submission can make the difference between being accepted and rejected this cycle.

I'm planning on submitting mine the first day too. I am currently working on my PS and will start on the secondary essay prompts (which are widely available on SDN) in April.