Work and Social media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estrace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you talk about your work on social media ? I hardly discuss work on face book but the only 2 times I tried to talk about how stressful my day was, I receive messages inbox on how I shouldn't be doing that.
The first time was during the labor day weekend. I had expressed how suprisingly busy we were because I thought a lot of people travel during the labor day weekend. Someone sent me a message inbox warning me about HIPPA.
Today again, I had a really stressful day at work ( difficult store plus system failure. we were basically in store mode most of the day and we couldn't type scripts because the computer just kept freezing) . I wrote "difficult store plus system failure = stressful day at work" and I recieved another inbox from a pharmacist this time warning me on how corporate is watching. This is annoying. I have lots of friends on facebook who talk about work all the time and I'm wondering if they also receive these annoying messages inbox.

Members don't see this ad.

How much do you talk about your work on social media ? I hardly discuss work on face book but the only 2 times I tried to talk about how stressful my day was, I receive messages inbox on how I shouldn't be doing that.
The first time was during the labor day weekend. I had expressed how suprisingly busy we were because I thought a lot of people travel during the labor day weekend. Someone sent me a message inbox warning me about HIPPA.
Today again, I had a really stressful day at work ( difficult store plus system failure. we were basically in store mode most of the day and we couldn't type scripts because the computer just kept freezing) . I wrote "difficult store plus system failure = stressful day at work" and I recieved another inbox from a pharmacist this time warning me on how corporate is watching. This is annoying. I have lots of friends on facebook who talk about work all the time and I'm wondering if they also receive these annoying messages inbox.

Listen to your pharmacist. Facebook is definitely no no, talk bad about your job or your employer on it is just asking for it. There is no better evidence to fire you with than with your own words.

Listen to your pharmacist. Facebook is definitely no no, talk bad about your job or your employer on it is just asking for it. There is no better evidence to fire you with than with your own words.

I will never talk bad about a company I work for be it on social network or SDN but to say I had a stressful day at work is also a bad thing ? Just wondering.......

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfriend them. And block your facebook to the world. Create special groups where only your close friends can see your work related posts to commiserate.

I will never talk bad about a company I work for be it on social network or SDN but to say I had a stressful day at work is also a bad thing ? Just wondering.......

You are insinuating that the company is a stressful place to work, or they create a stressful environment. How does that make the company and it's management look?

Stay off of facebook at work and don't talk about work on facebook, and don't post any silly stuff on facebook that can be used against you.

You are insinuating that the company is a stressful place to work, or they create a stressful environment. How does that make the company and it's management look?

Stay off of facebook at work and don't talk about work on facebook, and don't post any silly stuff on facebook that can be used against you.

I agree. The best thing is to not post that kind of stuff at all.

See..that's why I don't like people who make all these assumptions. Saying that I had an unusual amount of stress at work today is insinuating that my company creats stressful environment ? Life happens. we come into stressful situations every now and then. Doesn't necessary mean that the company creates a stressful environment. System failure can happen anywhere. it just so happened the day I worked at a store that's a nightmare on a good day. I don't post silly stuff on facebook, I'm an adult. Getting on facebook at work ? I barely get time to eat my lunch at work. I work retail for God's sake.
Everyone knows that retail pharmacy is stressful. I don't have to insinuate anything.

See..that's why I don't like people who make all these assumptions. Saying that I had an unusual amount of stress at work today is insinuating that my company creats stressful environment ? Life happens. we come into stressful situations every now and then. Doesn't necessary mean that the company creates a stressful environment. System failure can happen anywhere. it just so happened the day I worked at a store that's a nightmare on a good day. I don't post silly stuff on facebook, I'm an adult. Getting on facebook at work ? I barely get time to eat my lunch at work. I work retail for God's sake.
Everyone knows that retail pharmacy is stressful. I don't have to insinuate anything.

How you feel or if you believe venting is justified is irrelevant. Your pharmacist is giving you good advice, you can take it or leave it. Like you said, you are an adult. You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Unfriend them. And block your facebook to the world. Create special groups where only your close friends can see your work related posts to commiserate.

definitely going to do this. thanks for the suggestion

How you feel or if you believe venting is justified is irrelevant. Your pharmacist is giving you good advice, you can take it or leave it. Like you said, you are an adult. You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

I'm a pharmacist myself so the guy is not my pharmacist. he is just someone I know who happens to also be a pharmacist.

Saying "we were busy at work" is a HIPAA violation how?

Because if you work in a pharmacy and say the word "work" on social media that is PHI. :smuggrin:

EDIT: It is actually impossible to say you work in a pharmacy without violating HIPAA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never update my status on Facebook b/c 1) there are thousands of people on there and many of them I don't even know in real life and 2) do you really want everyone to KNOW EVERYTHING that happens to you every single second?

It is really important to know that John is sick now or Sally is in Florida or Robert ate a hot dog for lunch? LOL... Who cares? No one cares about the minor crap that happens in your life.

Facebook is only good if you have a good friend that now lives FAR from you....but you want to remain in contact and see her pictures sometimes. OR I use facebook chat sometimes to chat with my cousin that lives outside of the USA. I can't afford to call her very often with my cell.

Other than that Facebook isn't very useful.

No one cares what you ate for lunch or how you feel about your wife or how your hair looks today. People post crap that no one cares about all the time on Facebook. I don't get it.

EDIT: It is actually impossible to say you work in a pharmacy without violating HIPAA.

Really?

My preceptor told me a nurse at the hospital uploaded a patient's XRay on their facebook page...the XRay was of something CRAZY that happened to the patient. The patient's name was blacked out and NO information was on the XRay. It was just a picture of the Xray and that was it.

The nurse was fired immediately and lost her license too. :eek:

That was pretty crazy to me!

So to the OP yes, you think you didn't do anything wrong...I am sure the nurse didn't think she did anything wrong either since she blacked out the patient's name...but hell, people can fire you for anything. So BE CAREFUL!

Facebook is an incredible website because, if you're smart enough, you can set your preferences to make it private as possible. My Facebook is setup right now to where you cannot send me a friend request or a message unless we have a mutual friend. You also cannot see anything beyond my sexy as hell profile pic until I accept your friend request. If you're lucky enough for me to accept it, I can set certain content to be seen by certain people so all of my posts about a high school teacher dying can be sent to my high school friends without my college friends being bothered with it.

I have no problem bashing my employer on Facebook because I know they'll never see it.

Facebook is an incredible website because, if you're smart enough, you can set your preferences to make it private as possible. My Facebook is setup right now to where you cannot send me a friend request or a message unless we have a mutual friend. You also cannot see anything beyond my sexy as hell profile pic until I accept your friend request. If you're lucky enough for me to accept it, I can set certain content to be seen by certain people so all of my posts about a high school teacher dying can be sent to my high school friends without my college friends being bothered with it.

I have no problem bashing my employer on Facebook because I know they'll never see it.

Um yeah, because Facebook never changes their privacy practices without advanced notice. HAHA, even Zuckerman himself got caught in that a few years ago, when policies were changed and suddenly private pictures of himself were made public.

Rule of thumb, regardless of supposed privacy settings, the best bet is to assume that everyone in the world is reading what you wrote.

Many, many people have gotten in trouble over things they have posted on Facebook. I'm not aware of anyone who ever got in trouble for NOT posting on Facebook.

You have idiot friends if they think posting like that is a HIPAA violation (probably same pharmacists that make up laws at work).

Do what I do...create separate groups and go from there. 1/3 of my FB friends don't get any status updates from me (they just see basic info and some photos -- i keep them for networking), and the rest get them but I keep a separate group of ~100 or so that get the better updates.

If that's too much work, you can always just not post on FB...but that's kind of lame too.

I never update my status on Facebook b/c 1) there are thousands of people on there and many of them I don't even know in real life and 2) do you really want everyone to KNOW EVERYTHING that happens to you every single second?

It is really important to know that John is sick now or Sally is in Florida or Robert ate a hot dog for lunch? LOL... Who cares? No one cares about the minor crap that happens in your life.

Facebook is only good if you have a good friend that now lives FAR from you....but you want to remain in contact and see her pictures sometimes. OR I use facebook chat sometimes to chat with my cousin that lives outside of the USA. I can't afford to call her very often with my cell.

Other than that Facebook isn't very useful.

No one cares what you ate for lunch or how you feel about your wife or how your hair looks today. People post crap that no one cares about all the time on Facebook. I don't get it.

Last weekend, I went to a big antique fair, and several dealers had albums full of old postcards. Those were the Facebook and Twitter of their era. We really haven't changed as much as we think we have. :cool:

One woman at my old job, who's still on Facebook with me, would, when she first joined, post things like "I hate my boss!", not realizing that just because Facebook's password-protected, this doesn't mean that only her FFs would see her posts. She almost lost her job for doing this; the day she told me she was written up, I was actually going to pull her aside that very day when I came in and tell her that she needed to be careful what she said about her job on FB. At least half of our 60-person department was on Facebook the last few months I worked there, mostly to play Farmville but many of them posted too, and many of us are still there. It's nice to see messages from them, because even though the job ended disastrously (and as most of you know, they did me a bigger favor than I could ever have imagined at the time), I liked these people and miss them.

Another of my FFs, who doesn't work in health care, recently started a new job and posted that she feared that she was going to hate that job. I PM'd her and suggested that she delete that post; IDK if she did.

Really?

My preceptor told me a nurse at the hospital uploaded a patient's XRay on their facebook page...the XRay was of something CRAZY that happened to the patient. The patient's name was blacked out and NO information was on the XRay. It was just a picture of the Xray and that was it.

The nurse was fired immediately and lost her license too. :eek:

That was pretty crazy to me!

So to the OP yes, you think you didn't do anything wrong...I am sure the nurse didn't think she did anything wrong either since she blacked out the patient's name...but hell, people can fire you for anything. So BE CAREFUL!

Losing her license would be a bit extreme, although maybe this nurse had done other things that, in combination with this, justified it, but losing her job? Definitely so.

Say, it wasn't that x-ray of the guy who's had a hip replacement and also happens to have a soda bottle in his rectum, is it? :laugh:

p.s. Social media were blocked at the hospital, although it was accessible on the public computers located in the cafeteria, and also in the library at their college of nursing. Before those sites were all blocked, we did have a tech who got into trouble for spending too much time on Myspace (remember that site?).

, when she first joined, post things like "I hate my boss!", not realizing that just because Facebook's password-protected, this doesn't mean that only her FFs would see her posts.

My pharmacy class got lectures on this too. Some of my classmates posted stuff like "Professor X's lecture was so damn boring." or something similar to that effect.

One time we had a P3 student come in and lecture for us....after that lecture some of my classmates posted stuff like "Wow she sucked at lecturing!" or "God, she is so boring I wanted to fall asleep!" etc.

The dean wasn't very happy about that and threaten to cancel ALL internet on campus if that happens again! :eek:

Say, it wasn't that x-ray of the guy who's had a hip replacement and also happens to have a soda bottle in his rectum, is it? :laugh:

OMG...the X-ray did have something in it...it was something outrageous! I can't remember exactly what it is though.

But I thought it's only a voliation if the patient's name was on it or if some sort of information was on it that could lead to the patient's identity...just a X-ray picture alone is NOT a voliation...but she got fired and lost her license for it. :rolleyes:

OMG...the X-ray did have something in it...it was something outrageous! I can't remember exactly what it is though.

She may have posted from a work computer. Those things are easier to trace that people might think.

There was a big story in my old town a few years ago about 3 male firefighters and 3 female office workers who were in big trouble for, as the newspaper described it, misuse of city equipment. The women were fired outright, and the men were disciplined to varying degrees after an investigation. I found out that they were e-mailing pictures of parts of themselves to each other at work using work computers, and pictures taken with city equipment on city property; the women were fired because their faces were all clearly visible, while the men were harder to identify, if you get my drift - two of them, anyway. One was easy to identify because he weighed about 300 pounds, and it gets better. The women were all in their 50s. :eek:

One time at that old job, a female pharmacist started giggling, and I asked her what was so funny. She waved me over and showed me; she was looking at her personal e-mail, and someone had sent her a picture of an X-rated snow sculpture. :laugh: I will say that this WAS funny, but I also told her that she might not want to have that displayed on a work computer. Another time, our IT tech pulled up the hospital's Internet monitor; people were looking at recipes, song lyrics, the local police blotter, nothing offensive that time but you never know what might pop up.

Another pharmacist got in some pretty big trouble for downloading Foxfire. We were NOT supposed to do that.

My senior year roommate, a liberal arts major, had a friend who was an x-ray tech, and would call her up and tell her about the crazy things people stuck into this or that orifice. I told her many times that her friend really needed to not do that, although I could understand why she wanted to blow off steam. When I came back from my rotations on an Indian reservation, she asked me if anything like this came in, and the answer was no but I wasn't going to tell her. There WAS a patient in the hospital one time whose name would have been part of an inside joke we had, and I so wanted to tell her about it but didn't do that either.

Another pharmacist got in some pretty big trouble for downloading Foxfire. We were NOT supposed to do that.

you mean firefox?

I usually keep all social networking off work computers for the reasons you stated above...much "cleaner" to be doing things on my phone vs. work computer. The only leisure things I'll do at work are read news articles and stuff.

What I don't get is this blanket mass avoidance some people recommend...if you're smart and know how to use social networking and how to write, it's not an issue. I have layers of privacy, and if my FB ever were to become fully public there would be no work issues. My private comments are usually on gchat w/ off-the-record turned on or email with all parties on 2-step auth, even then i consciously write things with a breach in mind (ie no pt identifiable info, though the case i may write is in full detail).

we had nicknames for everyone that was never discussed online... it was just easier that way.

If anything, I've had more positives from social networking than negative when it comes to career...but that's because I've been using it since the breakout days of 2003 (even before if you count blogging as the original social network).

I pity those who don't grasp it...sadly, it's usually those in their late-30's who didn't grow up with it. I'm constantly tapped by them to explain privacy settings and who sees what.

The funny thing is that my hospital doesn't block Facebook, but it does block Yahoo Sports.

bet you physicians and other higher ups complained, haha...my old job, that was the reason nothing was blocked, whole departments complained that they couldn't stream radio during procedures or that overnight was too boring and that staff accessing FB on their phones was an even bigger distraction.

Plus you have all those studies that show greater productivity when internet is available for breaks...but eh, who listens to studies.

bet you physicians and other higher ups complained, haha...my old job, that was the reason nothing was blocked, whole departments complained that they couldn't stream radio during procedures or that overnight was too boring and that staff accessing FB on their phones was an even bigger distraction.

Plus you have all those studies that show greater productivity when internet is available for breaks...but eh, who listens to studies.

Oh when attending physicians complain, **** gets done immediately. For example, during Hurricane Sandy, the toll booth arm thing that prevents unauthorized cars from entering and exiting the attending physicians' + hospital administration parking lot without swiping your ID first got blown off.

So right after the hurricane, everyone including myself started parking in that parking lot because:

#1 - it's physically closer to the hospital entrance
#2 - the spaces are much wider, thus less chance that your vehicle will get dinged and dented when other people open their doors
#3 - regular employee parking lot is always filled to capacity, sometimes you have to arrive like 30 minutes prior to your shift to get a parking spot. It's ****ing ridiculous, I live a 2 minute drive from work, yet I gotta arrive super early to look for parking.

After 3 days of the physicians parking lot being jammed up, the physicians started complaining and the next day, the arm blocking the entrance and exit to the parking lot was re-installed.

Oh when attending physicians complain, **** gets done immediately. For example, during Hurricane Sandy, the toll booth arm thing that prevents unauthorized cars from entering and exiting the attending physicians' + hospital administration parking lot without swiping your ID first got blown off.

So right after the hurricane, everyone including myself started parking in that parking lot

so...non-physicians parked in physician/admin parking? sacrilege. that's the equivalent of ripping candy from a trick-or-treaters bag on halloween.

c'mon you're in NY...parking is like a substantial benefit, up there with 401k and PTO.

The funny thing is that my hospital doesn't block Facebook, but it does block Yahoo Sports.

We had several men in our department who were avid hunters, and they couldn't access websites about guns, either. We also couldn't access The Onion. Netflix was available for a while, until the streaming option became popular and then it was blocked.

We had several men in our department who were avid hunters, and they couldn't access websites about guns, either. We also couldn't access The Onion. Netflix was available for a while, until the streaming option became popular and then it was blocked.

Who needs access to internet anymore when you can do the same thing with your phone?

so...non-physicians parked in physician/admin parking? sacrilege. that's the equivalent of ripping candy from a trick-or-treaters bag on halloween.

c'mon you're in NY...parking is like a substantial benefit, up there with 401k and PTO.

It's a suburban community hospital, there's plenty of parking in the neighborhood, but the issue is that why do the physicians get bigger parking spaces and get to park closer to the hospital? Why should they have a guaranteed spot available when they arrive instead of having to hunt for a parking spot like the rest of us?

The other problem is that, if you're a 3PM-11PM person, it will be hard to find parking until after 3PM, when the 7AM-3PM people leave. But if you're waiting for spots to open up from the morning shift leaving, you're technically considered late.

It's a suburban community hospital, there's plenty of parking in the neighborhood, but the issue is that why do the physicians get bigger parking spaces and get to park closer to the hospital? Why should they have a guaranteed spot available when they arrive instead of having to hunt for a parking spot like the rest of us?

The other problem is that, if you're a 3PM-11PM person, it will be hard to find parking until after 3PM, when the 7AM-3PM people leave. But if you're waiting for spots to open up from the morning shift leaving, you're technically considered late.

Cause they are better than the rest of us, duh.

why do the physicians get bigger parking spaces and get to park closer to the hospital? Why should they have a guaranteed spot available when they arrive instead of having to hunt for a parking spot like the rest of us?

Cuz they're physicians, they run the show, and if someone is bleeding out their ass you probably don't want your physician hunting for parking...some physicians are at multiple sites, it's a waste of resources to have them hunting for parking.

I could go on and on... pharmacy is a cost center and personnel usually don't go to multiple sites, and with the surplus, choice parking isn't needed to recruit people.

I don't know of any hospital that doesn't give parking pref. to MD/DO's + administrators. My advice to you if you want choice parking...join the c-suite.

Cuz they're physicians, they run the show, and if someone is bleeding out their ass you probably don't want your physician hunting for parking...some physicians are at multiple sites, it's a waste of resources to have them hunting for parking.

I could go on and on... pharmacy is a cost center and personnel usually don't go to multiple sites, and with the surplus, choice parking isn't needed to recruit people.

I don't know of any hospital that doesn't give parking pref. to MD/DO's + administrators. My advice to you if you want choice parking...join the c-suite.

I tried to pull a fast one on the security guys when they were assigning privileges for my ID card. When the option for doctor's parking lot came up, I told the guy I was technically a doctor via the PharmD. Then the DOP walked in, asked how was everything going, and of course, the security guy asks him if I'm supposed to be in the doctor's parking lot.

The weird thing though is that the medical residents aren't allowed to park in the physician's parking lot either.

People still use Facebook? I figured the novelty of seeing what complete losers your high school classmates became would have worn off by now.

It's not hard to keep work out of your fb profile. Set all your settings to friends only and not be friends with anyone at work. If you want to be fb friends with work people completely limit what they can see. Check your privacy settings every week or so

Last edited:
People still use Facebook? I figured the novelty of seeing what complete losers your high school classmates became would have worn off by now.

It's pretty much killed off AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc. I have some friends who refuse to use it because they don't want people from high school, college, etc contacting them.

Example: One of my buddies is now married, but he never told his wife about all of his ex-girlfriends. One of whom was Miss America a few years ago.

I hate when people complain about the content on FB....FB sucks because your friends suck. Garbage in, garbage out. I have interesting friends on FB and I just block/mute dumb people.

Shazam! Much better.

I hate when people complain about the content on FB....FB sucks because your friends suck. Garbage in, garbage out. I have interesting friends on FB and I just block/mute dumb people.

Shazam! Much better.

They are really not your friend. They are just your stalker and you are a stalker to them.

I can count less than two hand people I really consider as close friends. My confidant friends I count with just 1 hand, it's probably less than 4 or so. The rest doesn't really matter and your brain technically can not build relationship more than 150 people. You just don't have the time to nurture this friendship and technically can not do so. Unless you can clone yourself into 20 beings and sync at the end of the day, if you have 5000 friends, you are doing it wrong.

They are really not your friend. They are just your stalker and you are a stalker to them.

I can count less than two hand people I really consider as close friends. My confidant friends I count with just 1 hand, it's probably less than 4 or so. The rest doesn't really matter and your brain technically can not build relationship more than 150 people. You just don't have the time to nurture this friendship and technically can not do so. Unless you can clone yourself into 20 beings and sync at the end of the day, if you have 5000 friends, you are doing it wrong.

You and I have different definitions of friends. I'm more inclusive in my definition of friend...yes I do stratify and maintain < 150 close friends (I know the study/paper you are citing), but my definition is if I run into them in an elevator and I'd say "hey! haven't seen you in a while" then they count.

I stratify my groups this way too, as discussed above.