Work in retail pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getinpharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to pharmacy school for fall 2009 in USA. I have completed 3 years of perquisites at another US school. So I am back home in canada for the summer and looking for a work in pharmacy. I dont have any kind of pharmacy experience yet.

First of all, can I work as pharmacy technician in canada with only above mentioned education? Is there any license to work as pharmacy technician?

If there is requirement of license, then what other kind of work can I look for which can help me in pharmacy school?

What is the best approach to look for this kind of positions? Is it dropping resume store by store?

Thanks.

(I dont know if this is proper section for this thread)

Members don't see this ad.

This is indeed the right place for the thread, although I think many of us will have problems answering the question accurately, because our laws in the US about pharmacy technicians aren't even federal-level. Every state has individual laws regarding what is required in becoming a "pharmacy technician" and then, to further murk the waters, retail chains also have varying qualifications.

Have you consulted Google about this matter yet? I know it seems rudimentary, but you may need to.

If it helps, you can try ptcb.org (Pharmacy Tech. Certification Board's website) and they may link you to something appropriate for Canada.

And congratulations on receiving admission into Pharmacy school!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is indeed the right place for the thread, although I think many of us will have problems answering the question accurately, because our laws in the US about pharmacy technicians aren't even federal-level. Every state has individual laws regarding what is required in becoming a "pharmacy technician" and then, to further murk the waters, retail chains also have varying qualifications.

Have you consulted Google about this matter yet? I know it seems rudimentary, but you may need to.

If it helps, you can try ptcb.org (Pharmacy Tech. Certification Board's website) and they may link you to something appropriate for Canada.

And congratulations on receiving admission into Pharmacy school!
Thank you.
so there is a license for pharm tech in US as well. I thought there was no such thing in US because I heard some people finding job as pharm tech by showing just their acceptance letters!!

http://www.pebc.ca/EnglishPages/PharmacyTechnicians/PTHomePage.html

pharmacy examining board of canada, GREAT INFO just on that first page

Thanks.
"The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada is in the process of developing and piloting a national entry-to-practice Pharmacy Technician Qualifying Examination for the assessment and certification of the competence of Pharmacy Technicians."

so they are just starting the exam this year...and to qualify for that one needs to have 2000 hours of work experience...so I guess I can work this summer!!

so i m making a resume for pharm tech, but i dont have any pharm tech experince before nor do i have diploma in pharm tech program. so basically my resumes is not attractive. can i see someone's resume from here?