Work to begin on new OSU-CHS academic building

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CliffDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 1.05.20 PM.png

OSU-COM is starting construction on a new facility for the medical students. As a current student, it's unfortunate that it will not be completed in time for me to enjoy the simulation labs, but thought that the SDN community would enjoy learning that OSU-COM will soon become a premier medical academic center with it's own affiliated academic teaching hospital that has recently experienced large growth and flourishing under the Mercy Health System's management.

"Preliminary construction work will begin Monday to make way for the new Medical Academic and Simulation Center and an adjoining parking garage on the OSU-CHS campus.

Workers will place temporary fencing around the perimeter of the construction site. Access to the fenced off areas will be restricted to authorized construction personnel. A temporary access road to the construction site headquarters will be built on the north side of campus near the railroad tracks.

Phase I of the project includes the installation of a temporary parking lot on Lesion Field and a new parking lot by the west entrance to campus. Officials overseeing the project expect the parking lot installations to take approximately three months. Students, faculty and staff will continue to use existing parking during Phase I. The access road linking Lots A and B with 17th Street will be blocked until construction of the new lot is completed.

The four-story, 223,000-square-foot Medical Academic and Simulation Center will include a hospital simulation lab, with an emergency room, operating room, intensive care unit, birthing suite and ambulance bay. Plans also call for expanded clinical skills labs, a new osteopathic manipulative medicine lab, classrooms, lecture hall, conference facilities and student study space.

The new building will be constructed on the northwest corner of campus. The five-story parking garage adjoining the facility will provide additional parking spaces once the project is completed."​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is great news, though I doubt very few, if any, private DO schools have this kind of resources to build a fully affiliated teaching hospital.

Other DO schools should take note. Hell many of the newer MD schools should take note.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is great news, though I doubt very few, if any, private DO schools have this kind of resources to build a fully affiliated teaching hospital.

I have heard that OSU doesn't actually own/run the medical center.

Last edited:
the osu medical center is owned by a state agency called the osu medical authority. .. last year mercy health system won a long term contract to manage it professionally and make improvements on osu's behalf

Money going back into the school for brand new facilities and up-to-date technology while some other D.O. schools conduct classes in what use to be old warehouses...think it's pretty self explanatory.

Money going back into the school for brand new facilities and up-to-date technology while some other D.O. schools conduct classes in what use to be old warehouses...think it's pretty self explanatory.
I go to a new school with brand new labs. Sim labs in particular seem like a huge waste of money.

Reactions: 1 user
I go to a new school with brand new labs. Sim labs in particular seem like a huge waste of money.
As an OMS-I, do you have sim labs in your new school? If not, I'm not sure where you have a leg to stand on. And what part actually sounds like a huge waste of money? If you think this is a waste of money I'm sure you'd hate to know where your school is putting its money.

I for one would have found this very nice:

Simulation Center will include a hospital simulation lab, with an emergency room, operating room, intensive care unit, birthing suite and ambulance bay.

Once you've been thrown to the wolves of DO/some new MD school rotations I wouldn't be surprised if your opinion changed.

As an OMS-I, do you have sim labs in your new school? If not, I'm not sure where you have a leg to stand on. And what part actually sounds like a huge waste of money? If you think this is a waste of money I'm sure you'd hate to know where your school is putting its money.

I for one would have found this very nice:

Simulation Center will include a hospital simulation lab, with an emergency room, operating room, intensive care unit, birthing suite and ambulance bay.

Once you've been thrown to the wolves of DO/some new MD school rotations I wouldn't be surprised if your opinion changed.
Yes we have sim labs.

Don't be distracted, the real asset OSU-COM has is having its own teaching hospital. How many DO schools can say that?