Worked in parents' bakery my whole life - add to work/activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIC2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked at my parents' bakery since I was 14, not paid, helped them out on weekends, still help them. I'd say at least 12 hr/week. This is definitely relevant to my work ethic, but it's not particularly relevant to medicine. It just made me a very hard worker, so I'd like to mention it in AMCAS work/activities. The start year though would be in the early 2000's, so should I just put it as starting from when I was 18, because from what I understand, adcoms don't care about experiences prior to college? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I worked at my parents' bakery since I was 14, not paid, helped them out on weekends, still help them. I'd say at least 12 hr/week. This is definitely relevant to my work ethic, but it's not particularly relevant to medicine. It just made me a very hard worker, so I'd like to mention it in AMCAS work/activities. The start year though would be in the early 2000's, so should I just put it as starting from when I was 18, because from what I understand, adcoms don't care about experiences prior to college? Thanks

Great experience!

Put the actual start year; activities performed before college should be inscribed if continued during & after college years.

Definitely! It's something that will stand out among applications with relatively similar, cookie cutter ECs. Depending on you life experience, it might actually be relevant to include in diversity prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at my parents' bakery since I was 14, not paid, helped them out on weekends, still help them. I'd say at least 12 hr/week. This is definitely relevant to my work ethic, but it's not particularly relevant to medicine. It just made me a very hard worker, so I'd like to mention it in AMCAS work/activities.
Definitely include it. Did you ever work at the counter and use your people skills? Then it's relevant to medicine. If you worked in the back, I can think of ways that could be relevant, too.

Absolutely relevant and important. At least two members of my adcom were raised in similar circumstances and we know how many transferable skills are acquired in a family retail business.